Marriage Builders
Posted By: alis How to raise sons? - 06/12/13 06:18 PM
I've noticed recently that my 3 year old son is moving away from his bond with me and more towards his daddy (they are very close and my husband is very involved!). It got me thinking, I have read about books on raising boys, can anyone recommend a good one? I grew up in a house of girls and have no clue. He also sees his grandfather several times a week including overnight (yay for UA time). We have another little boy (7 months already!!!) so I think I'd love some tips on raising boys.
Posted By: alis Re: How to raise sons? - 06/12/13 06:18 PM
And of course any advice from those who have done it themselves!
Posted By: SugarCane Re: How to raise sons? - 06/12/13 06:28 PM
MelodyLane made this post on another thread last week, to a divorced father who is thinking of moving to a different state from his son:

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
In the meantime, get the book The Wonder of Boys so you can understand how essential you are to his development.
Posted By: SugarCane Re: How to raise sons? - 06/12/13 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by alis
And of course any advice from those who have done it themselves!
My own strategy is to stand on a chair when I have to give my 17 year-old son a clip round the ear.
Posted By: BrainHurts Re: How to raise sons? - 06/12/13 06:30 PM
Do you have HNHN for parents?

Also I know you aren't a single mom, but here's some good information from posters on raising sons. There's also the book SugarCane mentioned in the thread.

I posted a clip from Dr. H in here also 10 Mistakes Single Mothers Make Raising their Sons
Posted By: markos Re: How to raise sons? - 06/12/13 06:42 PM
I don't want to sound like I always just parrot Dr. Harley's advice, but definitely don't underestimate the importance of the 15 hours of family commitment. Negotiate with your husband to use the hours as a chance for everybody to bond.

In my experience, the very young children would sometimes flip from being partial to one of us to being partial to the other. We'd talk about a "mommy mood" and a "daddy mood." As they have gotten older, that has gone away.
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums