Marriage Builders
Posted By: Douglasbubbletro First Child - 10/03/21 10:59 PM
Hello,

My husband and I had our first child, she is two weeks old.

We are interested in advice for new parents, how to best manage the transition to parenthood.

Thanks
Posted By: Thoth Re: First Child - 10/04/21 02:26 AM
Make sure to have time to yourselves and split time with the child equally. Communication is key.
Posted By: SugarCane Re: First Child - 10/04/21 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Douglasbubbletro
Hello,

My husband and I had our first child, she is two weeks old.

We are interested in advice for new parents, how to best manage the transition to parenthood.

Thanks
Congratulations. I hope you are really enjoying the time with your new baby. I hope this is a magical time for you. I envy you deeply - I wish I could do it all over again!

The main thing to strive for during all the parenting years is to maintain your romantic love for each other. If you can do that, all the many trials and challenges of parenthood (and indeed wider family relationships, including dealing with your own ageing parents) can be negotiated without dividing you.

Dr Harley has written a lot about marriage during parenthood. A good place to start is this article: Caring for children means caring for each other, and there are other free articles on the website about Dating the one you married as well as the book His Needs Her Needs for Parents.

You can get lots of suggestions from people on this forum, but the basic principle is always that you need to put enough into your marriage to keep your love bank balances high.

When you say "transition", what challenges have you faced so far, and what are you anticipating?
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums