Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
OP Offline
E
No one knew what I allowed him to do. I doubt anyone would believe me if untold them now anyway, he just has to deny it and they'll believe him of course.

I am under the impression that he will want to talk tonight. If he won't read my letter I intend to paraphrase it. Take full responsibility, acknowledge what I have done to him and how it's hurt him. Set boundaries and let him know that I am 100% committed to making this work.

J
J
Of course your husband will not support exposure.
That is what is needed to save your marriage.
If you dont want to save your marriage then you may as well call your husbands girlfriend to the house and give him a sex make up party.

If you want to save your marriage you need to follow the MB Program.

Last edited by HDW; 09/08/12 03:40 PM. Reason: iPhone keypad
B
B
Originally Posted by EpicFailure
I read the exposure 101, their contact has ended as of July. She is just a volunteer there and does not actually work with him, they now work at separate stations. I feel like he would think I violated his trust yet again by telling his parents etc... Because I condoned it. I made it okay and now I'd just be being vindictive and somehow trying to justify what I have done.

I am not drinking at all. I haven't since I found out I was pregnant. In my opinion both my husband and I were alcoholics. He decided on his own to quit drinking because he didn't want his son to grow up thinking it was okay.

He kept saying everything was perfect, and honestly after we found out I was pregnant things changed they were going incredibly well, but I knew I couldn't keep lying to him.

I am scared. I don't know what the future holds. I want what's best for my son.

What about you and your WH/BH get into an AA program?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

U
U
Nobody knows what the future holds. But you will be best equipped for it if you follow the MB plan, create a loving and safe marriage with your H, and if that is not possible, move forward with a new understanding of what 'healthy relationship' means to teach your son. THAT is what is best for your son.

U
U
I want to see you take full responsibility for your affair.

However, he also needs to take full responsibility for choosing to commit adultery. And you need to require more for yourself than a man who will have sex with other women in front of his wife.

I feel like you take full responsibility for that too, because you gave him your very delusional consent. You are responsible for telling your WH it was OK, for the words and consent, he is responsible for the action.

Can you call the radio show? Or send an email to the Harleys? These are free options to get advice from the Harley's themselves, and I think you need it.

E
OP Offline
E
I am taking full responsibility for my affair. I have not blamed him at all. It was and is my mistake. These are the consequences of that mistake. I am overwhelmed. I am looking at the website and reading all I can. I can't save it of it is not his son and I will know that Wednesday.

He won't go for AA if he can't fix it himself then he doesn't try to fix it typically. I will ask though.

M
M
The truth is he will NEVER see it as having been wrong. In his opinion it was okay and thus I cannot hold it against him. In no way do any of his actions condone what I did. I know this. What I did was wrong and there was no excuse for it. I am just not certain that we can heal fully if we don't get to the root of everything.

If your husband doesn't know that adultery is WRONG, then you have a serious problem and should consider separation. I would address this issue and strongly suggest you STOP enabling him by keeping this secret. Tell everyone about his affairs.

It sounds to me like your husband has some serious mental problems. What is wrong with him that he believes adultery is an acceptable lifestyle?

Have you told your mother that you condone adultery in your marriage?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
No one knew what I allowed him to do. I doubt anyone would believe me if untold them now anyway, he just has to deny it and they'll believe him of course.

I would tell all of your family members and close friends about his adultery and yours. You need the support of your family members in a most desperate way.

You and your husband have very poor judgement and your family cannot help you if you are not completely honest.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

E
OP Offline
E
Sorry it's taken me sink long to respond. We got a big storm and the ceiling started leaking in the part of the house I am staying in. I thought it was a fire because the smoke alarm went off and i thought lightening had hit the roof etc... I panicked. I called him and he said that the water caused the alarm to go off, I told him about the heavy rain and leak 2 hours ago. I frantically tried to get everything out of the room. He hasn't come home yet. I guess that's a signal about how much he doesn't care right now.

I told my mother about how I condoned and encouraged his relations and she was shocked to say the least. Her words and reactions mirror most of yours. I just told my sisters about my affair, not about his. They all think I should leave the state regardless, that he will never forgive me and use it against me for the rest of my life. I don't think that's the right think to do.

I'm not sure how to go forward at all. I dont know.

Last edited by EpicFailure; 09/08/12 05:55 PM.
E
OP Offline
E
I don't think he will want to discuss the future until he knows if it's his son. I understand that

Last edited by EpicFailure; 09/08/12 05:55 PM.
M
M
They all think I should leave the state regardless, that he will never forgive me and use it against me for the rest of my life. I don't think that's the right think to do.

You should leave him unless he agrees NEVER to commit adultery again. He should be willing to become completely transparent and accountable to you so he can never cheat again. Otherwise, the right thing to do is to get a divorce.

His family and the rest of your family should all be told about his affairs so they can hold him accountable.

Exposure 101

E
OP Offline
E
I hear what you are saying I assure you. What is difficult for me is to consider what I condoned as cheating. Once we find out of he is the father of his child then I guess this is where the jumping off point will be...

"my affair was wholly my fault. It was unacceptable and wrong. The only way we can move forward is if we both agree from this second on that in no way is it acceptable for either of us to sleep with another person period. Condoned or not."

I have a feeling his response will be angry and defensive, but I guess at some point I have to stick up for myself AND my son. It would not be a healthy environment for him to grow up in.

M
M
I have a feeling his response will be angry and defensive, but I guess at some point I have to stick up for myself AND my son. It would not be a healthy environment for him to grow up in.

EF, I would tell him now that his cheating is a deal breaker. Even if the child is his, you should never live with him again unless he agrees to stop cheating. That is sick and dysfunctional.

You don't have to wait to tell him this. If he says he won't stop cheating, you can pack up and move home now.

Exposure 101

E
OP Offline
E
I know he will stop with the other woman. I have no doubts about that, the only reason he ever allowed himself to do it in the first place was because I condoned it. I don't think that will be where the problem lies. I think he won't agree that it had anything to do with the troubles of our marriage.

He is still with his parents and it is giving me terrible anxiety to think about what they are planning.

E
OP Offline
E
Let me clarify, the reason I think his response will be angry and defensive is because 1 nothing has happened since may, 2 he doesn't think he did anything wrong and 3 because I know he will think I am just trying to justify what I did.

M
M
I know he will stop with the other woman. I have no doubts about that, the only reason he ever allowed himself to do it in the first place was because I condoned it. I don't think that will be where the problem lies. I think he won't agree that it had anything to do with the troubles of our marriage.

That is where I would start. In addition to telling his parents about his serial cheating. The fact that he doesn't know that adultery has everything to do with the troubles of your marriage is not reassuring. but even if he doesn't understand, he cannot keep committing adultery and stay married. He should end all contact with EVERY WOMAN other than his female relatives.

If he won't do that, he is not a safe person.

I would address this with him ASAP.

Exposure 101

Q
Q
I just wanted to make him happy. I wasn't making him happy so I thought allowing him to sleep with other women would.

This seems to be more and more common nowadays (this is not the first time I've heard of this kind of thing going on). Has Dr Harley done any radio segments on this sort of behaviour?

The topology of it feels like infidelity, but without the dishonesty aspect; in some ways it's similar to swinging, but without the shared experience W and H would share.

BH (me), age 30. Plan D final 1/1/13
L
L
epic, he IS going to be angry. there is no way around that, and no good time. you just have to accept that you cannot control his actions. remember that exposure is not about retribution, it is asking for help with your M. when you married, your family and community sat at your wedding and pledged to support your M. that's what family and friends are for. even during the rough patches. especially during the rough patches!

whether or not you sanctioned his adultery is immaterial. you did that because you were desperate. now, i hope you are not that desperate, because you need to be clear-headed to make decisions.

i do think that you should wait until you have the paternity results before you do much else - what do you think, ML? and i also think you should move your bum back into your marital bed. yes, what you did was wrong. you have admitted and owned that. you want to rebuild, and become a FWW, and you can start that now by cleaning up your side of the street. but your WHs side of the street is dirty too. he needs to own what he did also, and clean up his mess so you two can start fresh.

please use the time between now and wednesday to read as much as you can, including other threads. and definitely send an email to the harley's radio show! if you haven't already, download their app and listen every day. it'll help keep you sane during this crazy time.

one of the reasons MB is so successful is that it is so simple, cause and effect. and if you and your WH decide to work on the M, the harleys are great at bringing reluctant husbands to the table!

btw, congratulations on your weight loss!

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
J
J

He is still with his parents and it is giving me terrible anxiety to think about what they are planning.

I disagree. He didn't have sex with other women because you condoned it.
He had sex with other women while you watched. Maybe he wanted to have a three way or use it as a point of control over you.
He will not be so quick to stop his lifestyle.
Also. I would not be surprised if there are more sex partners than you know of

J
J
He won't go for AA if he can't fix it himself then he doesn't try to fix it typically. I will ask though.

You earlier said that you consider yourself an alcoholic.
I strongly encourage you to attend an AA meeting. You can find their locations on the Internet and in the phone book.

The first step on the road to recovery is to admit that you dont have control.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mature), 1,168 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation