Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20
L
L

Surely you're not saying she needs to use swear words and a loud voice rather than politeness to get you to take her seriously? So now you know, when she says "could you please..." she is probably telling you a complaint, especially if you've heard it more than once.

xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Online course July '11 to July '12
17 sessions with S. Harley Feb '12 to Sep '12
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
E
Ernie78 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by SusieQ
If you keep this up, you are going to end up divorced. Sorry to be harsh, but you are not getting it at all. I am frustrated in trying to talk to you in just a few posts. I can only imagine how hopeless your W must feel.

Please explain your position.... I am unable to determine what information you are trying to present. Could you be more specific?

E
Ernie78 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by LifetimeLearner
Surely you're not saying she needs to use swear words and a loud voice rather than politeness to get you to take her seriously? So now you know, when she says "could you please..." she is probably telling you a complaint, especially if you've heard it more than once.

It took a long time to learn this... and it was only in the last couple of months that I did learn this from her, by her telling me this is what is going on... I wish I had known a lot earlier, it would have saved a WHOLE BUNCH of hurt on both of our parts.

There were no other women in my life prior to me getting married that complained in a such a soft manner, so I came into our marriage at age 38 not having ever seen any complaints from women that were NOT loud. I was just expecting my wife to be the same way since I had never seen anything different.

S
S
Originally Posted by Ernie78
If you keep this up, you are going to end up divorced. Sorry to be harsh, but you are not getting it at all. I am frustrated in trying to talk to you in just a few posts. I can only imagine how hopeless your W must feel.

Please explain your position.... I am unable to determine what information you are trying to present. Could you be more specific?

There is no hidden meaning or further information needed. I meant what I said literally. It's up to you to decide if you are going to listen or keep on demanding that your wife POJA w/you everything she is going to write about her feelings about you and this M.

Last edited by SusieQ; 01/20/14 02:18 PM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
M
M
Are you saying she is DJ'ing you in your communications with each other? What is she saying that's DJ?

I feel the biggest DJ are either: A) Jumping to a conclusion without hearing all the details first, which can have disastrous results, or: B) Inflating the issue to a level higher than it really should be, which takes it from the category of "not worthy of getting into conflict" into "now we have a conflict".

Wow, Ernie. It sounds like you are totally confused as to what a disrespectful judgment is. When you decide how high an issue should rank and decide that your wife's ranking is "wrong," YOU are the one being disrespectful, Ernie. You are saying that she should just choose to feel different - that way you don't have to address her complaints.

You need to be here every day learning and working this program, Ernie. There's a radio show being broadcast every week day. There's other threads you should be reading and posting on to learn to recognize disrespect so you can stop doing it.

The problem is not that your wife is disrespectful. The problem is that you want to ignore/downgrade her complaints. That's the exact opposite of Marriage Builders.

There's no such thing as "not worthy of getting into conflict." Conflict is inevitable in marriage. Dr. Harley and Joyce have a conflict EVERY HOUR. Dr. Harley does not pressure Joyce to not bring things up. Instead they resolve their conflicts for a win-win every time, using the principles that they (and we) teach here.

Elaina, you need to plan for a separation until your husband is more serious about learning the basics here.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M

There is no hidden meaning or further information needed. I meant what I said literally. It's up to you to decide if you are going to listen or keep on demanding that your wife POJA w/you everything she is going to write about her feelings about you and this M.

In a case like this where a spouse is abusive like Ernie, getting help (i.e., posting on this forum) is NOT subject to the POJA. Health and safety is the main exception Dr. Harley makes to the POJA, and that includes getting help in the case of abuse (demands, disrespect, and anger).

Elaina, I hope you are reading. You should probably continue posting here as well as look into getting help from a local women's shelter.

If your husband continues to punish you for the posts that you make here, email the moderators ***EDIT***

Last edited by Toujours; 01/22/14 07:16 PM. Reason: please let the Moderators moderate

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
S
Originally Posted by markos

In a case like this where a spouse is abusive like Ernie, getting help (i.e., posting on this forum) is NOT subject to the POJA. Health and safety is the main exception Dr. Harley makes to the POJA, and that includes getting help in the case of abuse (demands, disrespect, and anger).

Elaina, I hope you are reading. You should probably continue posting here as well as look into getting help from a local women's shelter.

If your husband continues to punish you for the posts that you make here, email the moderators ***EDIT***

Agree x 100.

This level of manipulation & SDs -- trying to make it seem like they will be like MrW and MrsW, a MB success story, if she will "POJA" her posts w/him...and using MB terms against her (she's not meeting my need for admiration!) makes me wonder what else is happening in their M.

Last edited by Toujours; 01/22/14 07:17 PM. Reason: removing quote

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
P
P
You're going to lose your wife if you keep going down this road you're on.

I hope Elaina takes the suggestion to separate seriously. That's how serious the way you've been treating her is, Ernie.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

E
Ernie78 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
*sigh*

I am not some horrible abusive monster of a husband; I think you have me figured out all wrong. I am just a normal guy working on some typical marriage issues, and though my successes are not all achieved overnight - they are successes nonetheless. I am working hard on getting better at being successfully married.

I just don't understand why you are all so quick to tell my wife she should leave me all the time, you make it sounds like I am some horrible crazy person that belongs in prison instead.

Elaina told me last night the reason she doesn't leave me is because I *AM* improving and getting better all the time. As long as I strive to be a better husband, she's fine with working things out with me; That gives me a lot of encouragement.

SO, I offer to you this: Do you think I should still stay on this marriage builders forum, or go away quietly? I would like to think that by coming here I can still get some good advice and direction from y'all. If you don't think I should be here, then I guess I can leave.

I just sure am scratching my head sometimes wondering about the things you say to me, that's all.

J
J
I need help....

I have explained (gently) to my wife that when she speaks bad things about me to others - (any others, no matter who they are or where they are located) that it hurts me a LOT. Her words have great power, and it concerns me that she can hurtful about about the things she says at at times.

She seems to have understood what I was saying... yet she continues to not take my feelings in this matter into account. Her words cut me like a knife sometimes. What do I do?

Also... we have had a great number of events occur in our family, work, and our house these last few months that have cut into our UA time that have been completely unavoidable. I am feeling completely "tapped out"... I have already trimmed any "personal time for myself" down to near zero... What is next to do to find some UA time? Life circumstances have me feeling very "burned out" with little energy left to keep all the "irons in the fire" hot. We are also tapped out financially, with tons of medical bills and no way to pay them,.

Dr Harley says to build your life (job, house etc) around UA time.
The UA time MUST always have priority according to Dr Harley

E
Ernie78 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
Dr Harley says to build your life (job, house etc) around UA time.
The UA time MUST always have priority according to Dr Harley

We do have a special needs child at home, and that changes things a bit.... meaning it can be more difficult to get good quality time together. It's a struggle at times, that's for sure.

J
J
My friend had a girlfriend that used to watch a handicapped girl while her parents went on dates together.
The father was a doctor but the state paid all of her care bills.

Can you qualify for a home health worker?

P
P
I am not some horrible abusive monster of a husband
Are angry outbursts and disrespectful judgements abuse?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
SO, I offer to you this: Do you think I should still stay on this marriage builders forum, or go away quietly? I would like to think that by coming here I can still get some good advice and direction from y'all. If you don't think I should be here, then I guess I can leave.

I'm not sure what good the advice will do if you don't act on it. You need to be learning how to recognize and eliminate disrespect rather than arguing that you are really not such a bad guy. My suggestion to you above was to start reading other threads and looking at it - you'll find this is one of the worst problems most husbands have. I would also strongly suggest listening to Dr. Harley daily.

This can't be a thing you are perpetually working on and struggle with. You have to actually succeed at this.

M
M
You MUST stop punishing your wife for what she says here. Otherwise you make it impossible for your marriage to get help.

M
M
yet the way she is communicating it doesn't give it the gravity it deserves, so it immediately ends up on the "back burner".

Don't put any of your wife's complaints on the back burner. Keep them all on the front burner. You can ask her to prioritize what order she would like them handled in.

And for heaven's sake, stop judging your wife's feelings; stop saying that she is "Inflating the issue to a level higher than it really should be." You are not the arbiter of what level something should be. That is profoundly disrespectful and abusive. She can't live like that, Ernie! She should expose that kind of abuse to us and others EVERY SINGLE TIME it happens so that she has a support group, and if you don't stop it, she should separate from you to protect herself until you do.

You MUST stop punishing her for looking for support from your abuse. What you are doing is abusive, whether you are or or not a monster (which is an irrelevant debate). It hurts the hell out of her - what difference does it make if you aren't a monster? It hurts!

M
M
SO, I offer to you this: Do you think I should still stay on this marriage builders forum, or go away quietly?

I think you need to encourage your wife to post here to hold you accountable. Your actions have been punishing and discouraging her from posting. But it's the best possible thing for you - you need to learn what was abusive about each disrespectful thing you say. Sometimes she may not even know, but we can help her (and you) understand why it hurts.

For crying out loud, she hurts like hell, and you are punishing her for telling people about it? And arguing that you are not really a monster? It's about how BAD you are making her feel, Ernie, not how good you really are.

M
M
When your response to your wife's "Ouch!" is "No, let me explain, I'm not really so bad," you are on the wrong track:

Ouch! No, no, let me explain... by Steve Harley, M.S.

E
Ernie78 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
My friend had a girlfriend that used to watch a handicapped girl while her parents went on dates together.
The father was a doctor but the state paid all of her care bills.
Can you qualify for a home health worker?

No she doesn't qualify - just finding a child psychologist/psychaitrist who would take on the liability of seeing her at all was a huge challenge. She's on Welbutrin now, and that has some positive effects, be we are a long, long way from seing the light at the end of the tunnel.

My mother in law moved to town a couple weeks ago, WOOT WOOT!! She's a sweetheart, but doesn't like to babysit a lot. She really the only one we have that can watch the kids some. Now that Christmas is over, We don't have a lot of extra money to spend on babysitters (wow, they charge a lot nowadays)

M
M
*sigh*

If all of this frustrates and exasperates you - just think how Elaina must feel! She's the one hurting because of the disrespectful way you react to her complaints. She's the one in pain. She's the victim. She's the one who needs more understanding from you. You are the big strong guy who is capable of listening to us and learning from us so that you can stop hurting her so bad, rather than getting upset and frustrated with us and arguing with us.

Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation