Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
4 years ago, I cheated on my husband with a co-worker. When I ended the affair after he discovered it, we stayed together. I followed everything he wanted from being transparent about where I am, what I am doing, my emails and text messages, etc. We also never spoke about the incident (as per his request)and started living our life together. We had 4 years of eventually being happy but just two months ago he cheated on me with an ex-girlfriend who he also considers as his only friend. This woman knew about my affair. He told me he ended the affair but toward the course of these past two months I discovered that they continued the affair. I discovered it for 4 times. He told me that he starting cheating because he hasn't forgiven me and he wanted to get back at me at first but eventually he developed feelings for this woman. He told me he loves me and we haven't separated and he is sorry but he knows his credibility is shot since he lied so many times. He broke off the affair for the fourth time through email and the lover responded nastily, saying that I don't know how to love my husband and that I was keeping him around just to save face. I think the affair is really done but I don't know if he is strong enough not to reach out and continue this affair since the pain brought by my mistake still looms. I've done everything to show him I regret and I am sorry these past 4 years up until now but I don't know now if he can be strong enough to stay with me. The ex-gf's hold on him seems to be strong. What should I do? I don't want to lose him; I don't care if people know about my affair. I accept accountability for what happened then and I want him to still be with me and our only child. Please help.

ladymenefunien
M
M
Your marriage never really recovered from the original affair, but realize this: His affair is absolutely in no way justified by your affair. It is his own poor boundaries, his own bad choices, and his own deceitful behavior that is responsible for this. He owns it. The sooner you stop allowing his excuses for his affair based on your's, the sooner you will be able to successfully bring his affair to an end and start working to rebuild your marriage.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
L
L
What Mr. Eureka says is true: you are responsible for your own bad choice to have an affair, and he is responsible for his bad choice to have an A.

He needs to send a No Contact letter (use the template on this website) that you approve and mail. Then he needs to change all his contact information to make it impossible for the OW to contact him again.

You and your H both need Extraordinary Precautions for life to prevent another affair from happening. It's very easy to get into an affair and quite common, but an A is so devastating that it's really important to be proactive in making it nearly impossible to have one.

You need to expose your H's affair. Expose yours along with his. Ask for support and help.

Have you read through the threads at the top of this forum? Start Here

Also, read up on Just Compensation Here. If you and your H had known about Just Compensation, you would likely not be in this predicament today. MarriageBuilders is not about "Forgive and Forget." It's about preventing another affair through EPs and making the marriage better than ever.

Expose the affair. And meanwhile, avoid love busters.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
T
T
You cannot trust him to end the A and stop contact on will alone. You need EP's in place that make another A impossible. Both of you need them since you both have proven to have poor boundaries around the OS.

L
OP Offline
L
I didn't know we had a template for no contact. I did get to see the email sent ro the woman and even her responses even after. She really wanted to get my hisband for herself. I want to heal. I think I'm too hurt

ladymenefunien
B
B
Originally Posted by ladymenefunien
I didn't know we had a template for no contact. I did get to see the email sent ro the woman and even her responses even after. She really wanted to get my hisband for herself. I want to heal. I think I'm too hurt

Have you read the Exposure thread?
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
My advice is to write a final letter in a way that the victimized spouse would agree to send it. It should begin with a statement of how selfish it was to cause those they loved so much pain, and while marital reconciliation cannot completely repay the offense, it's the right thing to do. A statement should be made about how much the unfaithful spouse cares about his spouse and family, and for their protection, has decided to completely end the relationship with the lover. He or she has promised never to see or communicate with the lover again in life, and asks the lover to respect that promise. Nothing should be said about how much the lover will be missed. After the letter is written, the victimized spouse should read and approve it before it is sent
Coping with Infidelity: How Affairs Should End

[from SAA, pg 58]

OW, I want you to know that out of respect and love for my wife and children, I have come to realize that I must never see or talk to you again. My relationship with you was a cruel indulgence that BS did not deserve. While I cannot completely repay BS for the pain I caused her, I will do my best to become the husband she has been missing. I care a great deal for my family and I would not want to do anything to risk their happiness. I will not make any further contact with you and I do not want you to make any contact with me. Please respect my desire to end our relationship.

Sincerely, XXXXX

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Also, is the OW married?

You need to expose his affair. Please read.
Exposure 101

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

L
OP Offline
L
Yes she's married. But my husband doesn't want our family to know. He has too much pride.

ladymenefunien
B
B
Yes she's married. But my husband doesn't want our family to know. He has too much pride.
Did you read the Exposure thread on what Dr. Harley says about exposure.

The OW's BH needs to be told. He needs to know.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
OP Offline
L
Unfortunately I don't know her husband. As for my husband we're in the process keeping things calm and avoiding each other for now. My fourth discovery just happened last Friday. I just hope it is for real this time. I've gone through too much pain and he knows he has done worse than I did. I hope that we can reveal this to everyone soon so we can have suppot.

ladymenefunien
L
OP Offline
L
I hope this discovery is the last and that it doesn't happen again. He sent an email similar to no contact so I hope that's it.

ladymenefunien
T
T
What action are you taking to end this A? You are sitting around letting your wayward H call the shots, uh he is having an A and having a wife at home...why on earth would he end his arrangement, he has a sweet deal right now.

You need to step up and expose. Expose to OW's H, he needs to know his wife is cheating on him, its cruel to know about this and not let him know. Expose to your family and friends to ask for support and to use their influence to convince your H to end the A and work on recovering your M.

He sure wants to keep the secret so he can keep his GF and W and his sweet setup. Don't allow yourself to be put through this torture, YOU DON'T DESERVE THIS, NOBODY DOES.

B
B
Unfortunately I don't know her husband. As for my husband we're in the process keeping things calm and avoiding each other for now. My fourth discovery just happened last Friday. I just hope it is for real this time. I've gone through too much pain and he knows he has done worse than I did. I hope that we can reveal this to everyone soon so we can have suppot.
You need to do a background check to find her husband. He needs to be told. Don't let this poor man go along thinking everything is okay in his marriage.

Have you searched for her on Facebook to see her contacts?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

F
F
I hope this discovery is the last and that it doesn't happen again. He sent an email similar to no contact so I hope that's it.

The vets are telling you how to make sure that it ends...exposure.

It is usually not easy for a BS to expose due to the anger it incites in a foggy WS. But exposure, done all at once, is your best long-term shot at saving your marriage.

D-Day 1 - May 4, 2012

F
F
If you do not want to remain married to your husband, do not expose.

If you do not expose and remain married to your WS, he will make your life the worst hell you could ever imagine full of lies, deception and many, many more D-days.

Last edited by FooledMeTwice; 04/16/14 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling

D-Day 1 - May 4, 2012

M
M
Exposure is always recommended regardless of whether they stay married or not. This is one of the first steps that Dr Harley recommends after an affair and is a standard extraordinary precaution. And even if they do divorce, others should know about the affair.

From Surviving an Affair, pg 66-67

The extraordinary precautions do more than end marriage-threatening affairs; they help a couple form the kind of relationship they always wanted.

These recommendations may seem rigid, unnecessarily confining, and even paranoid to those who have not been the victim of infidelity. But people like Sue and Jon, who have suffered unimaginable pain as a result of an affair that spun out of control, can easily see their value. For the inconvenience of following my advice, Sue would have spared herself and Jon the very worst experience of their lives.

Checklist for How Affairs Should End

_____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

_____Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

_____Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

_____Spend leisure time together.

_____Change jobs and relocate if necessary.

_____Avoid overnight separation.

_____Allow technical accountability.

_____ Expose affair to family members, clergy, and/or friends.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

F
F
Hopefully you realize ML that my comment, "If you do not want to remain married to your husband, do not expose," was tongue-in-cheek, not a suggestion.

Last edited by FooledMeTwice; 04/16/14 12:59 PM.

D-Day 1 - May 4, 2012

M
M
Originally Posted by FooledMeTwice
Hopefully you realize ML that my comment, "If you do not want to remain married to your husband, do not expose," was tongue-in-cheek. Not a suggestion.

ahhh, I got your nuance now! smirk

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
OP Offline
L
Part of my stupidity is not being able to impose what I want since I am afraid to lose him. I know he is calling the shots in a way because he hasn't given me full transparency.

ladymenefunien
J
J
Part of my stupidity is not being able to impose what I want since I am afraid to lose him. I know he is calling the shots in a way because he hasn't given me full transparency.

Well, Dr. Harley is very clear that your marriage will be a crippled version if you do not follow his program.

If you want to have a loving romantic marriage, you can achieve it IF you follow Dr. harley's program...as detailed in Surviving an Affair.

L
OP Offline
L
I showed him the list for exposure 101 and we are talking about it now. I'm close to giving up

ladymenefunien
L
OP Offline
L
In my country its not easy to find people. I don't know his first name and the woman doesn't carry his last name because they are not married legally since she's still married to her ex. My husband told me he knew about the affair but that was during the third time I discovered it. I know he thinks up until this point it has ended. I want to believe it has ended for them now after the email was sent but without full transparency being part of the exposure 101 list I don't know if I can last that long.

ladymenefunien
B
B
I showed him the list for exposure 101 and we are talking about it now. I'm close to giving up
You don't tell your WH about exposure. You expose. Do you know anyone else on OW's side to expose to?

Your WH doesn't call the shots. You do.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
OP Offline
L
No I don't know anyone from the side of OW. Yes I know I should be calling the shots. But now I can't seem to make any headway. I think I'm the only one who wants to rebuild our marriage. I am really contemplating of giving up.

ladymenefunien
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for saying that no one deserves this pain. I have been carrying the weight of believing that I deserve this pain because I hurt him 4 years ago. Plus he also brings it up everytime we dight. I just am so confused, hurt, insecure and vunerable. If it wasn't for our son, I could've killed kyslef by now

ladymenefunien
L
OP Offline
L
Believe me jediknight qhen I say that I want to follow what is on the program listed on surviving an affair. I did most of what was in there after I cheated on him 4 years ago. My husband did admit to the therapist that he suddenly trusted me one morning because I did those and more. Now that it is his turn he doesn't want to do all of the same things in the list because

ladymenefunien
L
OP Offline
L
Because I don't know. I'm so tired.

ladymenefunien
B
B
Do you want to save your marriage?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
OP Offline
L
Yes I do BH. That's why I feel I'm the only one working on it. It is tiring and painful but I am doing it. But I feel like I am staring at a blank wall.

ladymenefunien
B
B
Yes I do BH. That's why I feel I'm the only one working on it. It is tiring and painful but I am doing it. But I feel like I am staring at a blank wall.
We understand it's hard.

That's why the first thing you need to do to fight for your marriage is to expose his affair.

Did you look for OW on Facebook?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
OP Offline
L
Yes I did. Of course her account is restricted but its there. I don't think jer husband is in the friend's list

ladymenefunien
J
J
Believe me jediknight qhen I say that I want to follow what is on the program listed on surviving an affair. I did most of what was in there after I cheated on him 4 years ago. My husband did admit to the therapist that he suddenly trusted me one morning because I did those and more. Now that it is his turn he doesn't want to do all of the same things in the list because

....because he is in love with the other woman.

She is meeting his emotional needs and he loves her. The longer you sit on your hands, the more in love they will be.

You need to expose the affair to family and friends and her family and friends. I would also send an exposure letter to the gym since that is where they meet daily.

Then, you need to try to be as pleasant as possible while avoiding love busters such as disrespectful judgments, angry outbursts and demands.

TODAY, You need to prepare for exposure. Get a list of exposure targets and save them in a safe place. Then use one of the exposure letters posted on this website.

When you have your list ready come back here for further instructions.

You need to act, because sitting on your hands or crying and wondering about what to do will not save your marriage.

L
OP Offline
L
Yes I know he's in love with the other woman. I want to expose to our families but he is not close to his family. Actually where I am from our culture on cheating is shameful and should be kept hidden. I made a little progress though. He will give me the access I wanted on his email and phone which are his means of communicating with her.

ladymenefunien
L
OP Offline
L
One thing I hate is that he keeps bringing back what I did as something he couldn't wrap his head around. That it is something unimaginable. I feel the same way more so because he knows how much it hurts. He even told me he would never do such a thing and look where we are now.

ladymenefunien
J
J
Yes I know he's in love with the other woman. I want to expose to our families but he is not close to his family. Actually where I am from our culture on cheating is shameful and should be kept hidden. I made a little progress though. He will give me the access I wanted on his email and phone which are his means of communicating with her.

He will create a new email and get another phone

J
J
Yes I know he's in love with the other woman. I want to expose to our families but he is not close to his family. Actually where I am from our culture on cheating is shameful and should be kept hidden.

Dr. Harley encourages exposure.
We can only offer you Dr. Harley's advice. if you refuse to follow it, your marriage will not recover.

J
J
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight

....because he is in love with the other woman.

She is meeting his emotional needs and he loves her. The longer you sit on your hands, the more in love they will be.

You need to expose the affair to family and friends and her family and friends. I would also send an exposure letter to the gym since that is where they meet daily.

Then, you need to try to be as pleasant as possible while avoiding love busters such as disrespectful judgments, angry outbursts and demands.

TODAY, You need to prepare for exposure. Get a list of exposure targets and save them in a safe place. Then use one of the exposure letters posted on this website.

When you have your list ready come back here for further instructions.

You need to act, because sitting on your hands or crying and wondering about what to do will not save your marriage.

Disregard the post I made above about exposing to the gym owner; I had your case confused with another poster's case

L
L
He has too much pride.
Hmm, not so much. Choosing to have an affair does not show pride. Sounds like he would be too embarrassed.

Me 52
WW 52
Together 25 years
Legally married 08/08/08
DD23
DS21
D-Day June 2011
Separated June 2013 (WW moved in with OW)
Plan B October 2013
I filed for D 12/11/14
B
B
Yes I did. Of course her account is restricted but its there. I don't think jer husband is in the friend's list
Then you need to expose to her list and state that you are trying to contact her husband so you can inform him.

When you send the exposure template add:

I am trying to reach her husband so he can be informed. If you know how to contact him please have him contact me at xxx-xxx-xxx.

When will you be exposing?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,071 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation