Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
KL6 #2791431 03/25/14 10:53 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by KL6
If that is truly what he would do , then I will wait for him to due so. I honestly dont think you should speak for other people. I have read ALL his books and even passed them down to my Daughter in law and I DO NOT EVER remember him writing anything of the sort.

If you feel that I am incorrect, you can email Dr.. Harley directly at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com or notify the mods. They will remove incorrect MB advice.

The fact of the matter is, Dr. Harley speaks nearly daily about this on his Radio Show and has discussed this in great detail in his book, Buyers Renters Freeloaders.

K
KL6 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
A piece of paper for GOD sake means no more then the feeling " Til death do us part" You can give me stats and percentages, but the fact of the matter is it only takes ONE either in a marriage or not. An abuser does not become GOOD cause he is married, A cheater does not become faithful if he is married. A person who has cancer does not get better cause of marriage. PEOPLE are who they are if they are married or not. A commitment does not need paper, a ring, or a house or children. A lot of people stay married cause they dont want to deal with the crap of a divorce and they live unhappy til death do they part.

I did not get on here cause of this conversation, and the fact that we are not married does not HELP his NPD, I read so many books and that was NOT A CURE.

Jedi_Knight #2792451 03/28/14 07:00 PM
K
KL6 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
If you are not familiar with Narcissism or PD, I honestly dont think your advice on being married or not will be helpful. I created this post for people who are familiar with NPD.

KL6 #2792462 03/28/14 07:24 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by KL6
A piece of paper for GOD sake means no more then the feeling " Til death do us part" You can give me stats and percentages, but the fact of the matter is it only takes ONE either in a marriage or not. An abuser does not become GOOD cause he is married

But....the facts don't back up your position. Facts are facts. Living together curses relationships. The fact that you view such a commitment as nothing more than a "piece of paper" is another demonstration of why these relationships are fragile. If you don't take your relationship seriously enough to get married, I don't know why you would expect us to take it any more seriously than you.

Living together is no more serious than dating. Dating is a job interview for marriage. When the candidate flunks the interview it is time to move onto the next candidate.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

KL6 #2797560 04/17/14 06:23 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by KL6
If you are not familiar with Narcissism or PD, I honestly dont think your advice on being married or not will be helpful. I created this post for people who are familiar with NPD.

If your partner has been diagnosed with NPD or BPD you have experienced the good part of the relationship. To stay you must become addicted to DRAMA and brace yourself for a wild ride.

The posters here are trying to indicate your relationship has cracks in the foundation. The belief held by Marriage Builders is in order to have a successful relationship it must be a committed relationship. Marriage is the tangible demonstration of commitment. This is not plucked out of the air but based on empirical evidence and experience dealing with relationships by Dr. Harley.

In closing you are in for a rough ride. There are discussion boards out there dealing specifically with NPD and BPD. It is not impossible to maintain a relationship but it is not easy. I would not even classify it as fun. You have some work to do on yourself to figure out why you are attracted to this type of person. In my estimation this relationship is a ticking time bomb.

Good luck

Me 58 BS

KL6 #2797593 04/17/14 10:05 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by KL6

A lot of us are very familiar with Dr. Harley's advice and positions about NPD and about living together. The whole point of the board is to discuss and learn that advice. Dr. Harley is a clinical psychologist with over forty years of marriage experience and also many years of experience operating and supervising a large chain of mental health clinics in Minnesota treating a wide variety of conditions and disorders.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
KL6 #2797601 04/17/14 10:38 PM
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 457 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation