Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have recently been crushed by the news that my wife doesn't "love" me in a romantic way and hasn't for 8 years. We have only been married for 7 years. I guess we thought getting married would fix it. Then we thought moving from an apartment to a nice house would fix it. Then we thought a child would fix it (we have a wonderful 2 year old daughter). I'm not completely oblivious. I knew we had problems, and I knew she was missing the "spark". But I just thought that meant it wasn't quite as exciting as it was in the beginning. I thought that's just what couples who survive the long haul deal with. We have had our heads in the sand for far too long. She finally had to tell me how she feels. She doesn't believe it's fixable. I am crushed. I have lost 7 pounds in 4 days, and I only weight ~150.

But in the week or so since I found out, I have found this website, Dr. Hadley's books and this community. It is like he can read my mind, so obviously we're not the first to go through this. We don't fight a ton (more than we'd want, to be sure). We generally enjoy doing things together, without distractions, but that almost never happens anymore, and it has been lacking for as long as I can remember. After reading the concept of the LB, LD, and LW, it makes perfect sense that we have fallen apart. I believe again that I didn't make a mistake marrying her, we have just mismanaged our marriage. There's no one on Earth I could have married and be perfectly happy with right now if we'd followed the same path.

When I first started looking for help, I assumed you couldn't "manufacture" love. I just thought it was something that happens, and you just have to be with the right person for it to last. I am learning that I have been wrong. But my worry is the length of time she has been missing this love. Is 8 years too much to overcome?

Right now she is not optimistic that it can turn around, and I have not had the chance to talk to her about Marriage Builders or his books (I have started reading Her Needs, His Needs). I know she will be skeptical, at least at first. I am also worried about our ability to 15+ hours of UA, but from what I read, that is absolutely critical. I am just scared, because we both work 8-5, she is in the middle of an intense year of school for her MBA that takes at least 9 days a month out of any possibility of being together, not to mention our child. I have read some of the threads regarding how to incorporate 15 hours (and I know Dr. Hadley recommends 20-25 for someone like us, trying to rebuild). I think she will be most skeptical of us committing to 15-20 hours per week of UA, and that scares me.

I wish that we had confronted this a long time ago, but there's no changing that. Sorry, I don't need a response to everything I wrote. But I would be interested in hearing testimonies of love rebuilt after long periods of drought. Thank you for listening to me.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
7 month A revealed 12/31/14 (OM ended it)
M
M
Hi Lou! Welcome to marriage builders. When did she tell you she doesn't love you? Did she tell you she didn't love you when you got married?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

A
A
Did your wife use the phrase, "I love you, but I am not in love with you?"

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I knew we had problems even before we were married. She first told me she was missing the "spark" when we kiss about 4 years ago. She has told me that we are just roommates several times for the last 4-5 years. She finally told me that she "loves me but doesn't love me" last week. She also told me again that we're just roommates. She said she doesn't want to feel this way, and has just to ignore it or will herself to love me for a long time, but can't. After reading about the LB, it's obvious why that didn't work. I'm just worried now that it might be too late. We are meeting with our pastor on Thursday. He had never heard of Dr. Harley before, but he is already looking into his material.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
P
P
Is 8 years too much to overcome?
No, we overcame 9 years.
The good news is that if there is no other man in the picture for you to compete with, you have a very good chance of winning her back following this plan. It is very typical for there to be one spouse who is reluctant to follow the plan. I was extremely reluctant.

What would you say your Lovebusters are?
How much time together alone would you say you are getting? Doing what?

Do you have access to all her computers, phones, email addresses, and social networks?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Lou, it very much sounds like she is having an affair. The phrase "I love you but am but am not in love with you" means she has a new point of comparison. People who have affairs rewrite history and often say they have "never been in love" only because they are comparing it to a new love.

Obviously she felt enough about you to marry you so it is unlikely she never loved you.

Don't ask her if she is having an affair, but quietly snoop to rule it in or out. Go do that and come back and we will help you with next steps.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I am very confident she is not having an affair. That is not just my feeling that she would "never do that to me". I have asked questions and investigated. She does not work odd hours. She is always home when she is not at work or in class.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
Originally Posted by Lou519
I am very confident she is not having an affair. That is not just my feeling that she would "never do that to me". I have asked questions and investigated. She does not work odd hours. She is always home when she is not at work or in class.

Have you actually investigated? What have you done specifically? She has ample opportunity to have an affair. Most betrayed spouses come here fully believing their spouse "would not do that." Until they investigate, and they are shocked to find out their spouse is having an affair.

We are not confident there is no affair because of the red flags in your post.

Exposure 101

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Prisca
Is 8 years too much to overcome?
No, we overcame 9 years.
The good news is that if there is no other man in the picture for you to compete with, you have a very good chance of winning her back following this plan. It is very typical for there to be one spouse who is reluctant to follow the plan. I was extremely reluctant.

What would you say your Lovebusters are?
How much time together alone would you say you are getting? Doing what?

Do you have access to all her computers, phones, email addresses, and social networks?

That is so encouraging to hear. I do not think there is another man to compete with, only possibly the "idea" of another man.

We haven't went through any worksheets or questionnaires yet, but I think our Love Busters (at least LB's from me to her) are Annoying Habits (I have a terrible habit of sleeping on the couch instead of our bed...I have done this 80% of the time for the last 5 or 6 years. Maybe that is more of an Independent Behavior), possibly Disrespectful Judgments (we have a very hard time talking calmly through problems...it usually ends in a defensive fight), and Independent Behaviors (at night, we go to separate floors and watch separate TV shows).

Regarding UA, we are at an all-time low. Over the first 6 years of our marriage, it may have started at 2-3 hours per week and has dwindled consistently. Now it is hard for me to remember the last time we had alone time, except for a few sexual encounters. Since she started her school (late winter), it is zero. Any time we're together, our daughter is there, too. And usually a TV, a computer and two phones, too. When I write all of this out, it seems miraculous we've remained married this long.

She doesn't try to hide her phone from me, although I don't try to snoop through it. I have always had a very strong trust in her. That has wavered since I heard how she felt. I don't think I know her e-mail password. I don't want to sneak around her back to access those things, so shouldn't I just ask her? I truly don't think she's having an affair, but at least it would not leave any room for question of whether or not something is going on.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
P
P
No, don't ask her. Just quietly look around. She may not be having an affair. But she might be. The reason you need to check is because your next course of action will greatly depend on whether or not she is. Taking a little time now to verify may save you hours of wasted effort.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
but at least it would not leave any room for question of whether or not something is going on.
That is what you need.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
Lou, don't ask her but quietly snoop. You might even put a key logger on her computer to get her password and find out what she is doing. An easy one to install and use is eblaster at spectorsoft.com. It will email you the reports.

Try and get her phone and go through it to read emails and text messages. Check out her phone bill to see if there are a lot of calls to a specific #.

Asking her outright will not be effective. Because if she isn't, she will be offended and if she is having an affair you will have given her the heads up to hide it better.

Exposure 101

P
P
She is likely having an affair. This reads just like every story I have ready about spouses falling out of love. Get a key logger for the computer and a GPS tracker for the car, and prepare yourself mentally for what you will see. I was once convinced that my wife would never betray me, but took the advice of folks on here and finally got some truth flowing in our marriage.

G
G
Lou,

From what you wrote it sounds like she has been in an indirect relationship with someone else possibly for years or the entire duration of your marriage. Does she work and is she close to anyone at work.

Did she have a bad breakup before she met you, or does she still communicate with any ex'es.

Have you checked her messaging on her phone? Is there a number with an unusually high number of calls?

It could also be another female.

As other posters have said it's critical you not let her know what you are doing or it can go deeper underground.

God Bless
Gamma

Last edited by Gamma; 06/24/14 11:48 AM.
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have access to her phone. I have access to her e-mail. There is one male acquaintance she's had for 2-3 months from her school, and she has been upfront the whole time. I have seen their texts. I have not seen anything worrisome. She hasn't spoken with her ex's in over a decade (which are pretty much her high school boyfriends).

The only regular people she talks to personally are family and 3 or 4 of her girlfriends, none of whom even live in our area anymore. The only exception is the guy from school, and I have seen their conversations and she has told me about him. She has encouraged me to meet him and his wife and kids so we can actually have friends in a similar situation again. I 100% believe that nothing is going on.

Is it so impossible that she simply tried to hide or run from her feelings for years before finally realizing that it wasn't working? And keep in mind, she didn't come out and say, "I want a divorce". She said we deserve to try to fix it, although right now she does not believe it is fixable.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I also haven't mentioned that I felt the same way she does now about 4 years ago. I confessed this to her a few days ago. I was miserable and wanted a divorce. We were not intimate and I felt trapped. But I figured the best case scenario was to somehow become happy and remain married. It took a long time, but unknowingly, I used some of the Love Deposits and avoided some Love Busters, and now I love her even more than I met her. She used to have angry outbursts at me, but she does not much anymore. That changed when I decided to diffuse conflicts as calmly as possible. We still had problems, but her angry outbursts receded tremendously, and that is one of the biggest turnoffs (Love Withdrawals) for me. I clung to the things she did that made me happy, and here I am. My stomach tingles when I pull into the driveway and see her through the garage door. That never happened the first 4 years of our marriage. I also stopped enjoying kissing her for the longest time, and now I have a desire to have long make-out sessions with her, something we haven't done since we were first dating. I think my experience is why I am so hopeful in this program.

I spoke with her earlier, and she says that she is "not on board". Not in a confrontational way, just being upfront that she does not believe it can be fixed. She sounds willing to try, but this seems like a program that needs commitment and belief from both parties. This begs the question, how do we start this without her believing? How can I start the process of getting her to believe? What are others' experiences with this problem?

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
Now it is hard for me to remember the last time we had alone time, except for a few sexual encounters.

So basically the only time you and your wife are alone is time that is spent meeting your emotional needs - there is none spent meeting hers.

This time has got to be massively counterbalanced by some major hours spent in enjoyable conversation with her. Get her out of the house on dates with you fifteen hours a week if she will agree, and talk, talk, talk! If she won't get out with you, spend that time alone with her and talk, talk, talk!

Meanwhile, snoop until you can either prove she is having an affair or prove she is not having one. I was pretty sure my wife was not having an affair, too, but when we were posting here in the early days she was in the process of launching one.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
how do we start this without her believing? How can I start the process of getting her to believe? What are others' experiences with this problem?
You start by demonstrating what's in it for her. She doesn't have to believe is possible to be fixed in order for it to be fixed. Eliminate all Lovebusters on your part. Start meeting her emotional needs. Demonstrate how the POJA works by following it yourself. Be radically honest.

I suggest you listen real carefully to Markos. He did it.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
I worked the whole program without Prisca believing in it, for the most part.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
Invite her to go on a date. She may refuse. Invite her anyway. And again tomorrow.

Meanwhile, get into her email. You not having access is very suspicious. Keep in mind that even if she is not having an affair, she is very vulnerable to one. Not only has she been neglected for years, but she is used to privacy. Privacy in marriage is an invitation for an affair. You need access in order to PREVENT an affair just as much as to verify that there isn't one.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I will stay vigilant regarding her external relationships. The first hurdle will be to get her to really honestly focus on the "homework" at the start of this. Even though I've been married to her for 8 years, with all of these problems, I can't honestly say I know all of her Emotional Needs or Love Busters.

If I can learn these things, I will pour everything I have into filling these needs in a way that I also enjoy.

For anyone that came back from not loving your SO, what were your first positive experiences with this program? What was the first sensation of a Love Deposit?

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
I will stay vigilant regarding her external relationships.

Does she have male friends? Tell us about these.

M
M
I have access to her phone. I have access to her e-mail. There is one male acquaintance she's had for 2-3 months from her school, and she has been upfront the whole time. I have seen their texts. I have not seen anything worrisome. She hasn't spoken with her ex's in over a decade (which are pretty much her high school boyfriends).

The only regular people she talks to personally are family and 3 or 4 of her girlfriends, none of whom even live in our area anymore. The only exception is the guy from school, and I have seen their conversations and she has told me about him. She has encouraged me to meet him and his wife and kids so we can actually have friends in a similar situation again. I 100% believe that nothing is going on.

Is it so impossible that she simply tried to hide or run from her feelings for years before finally realizing that it wasn't working? And keep in mind, she didn't come out and say, "I want a divorce". She said we deserve to try to fix it, although right now she does not believe it is fixable.

I would arrange to drop in at school some day by surprise and see how their relationship looks in person. From what you've described here, she is already engaging in intimate conversation with this man. EVERYTHING you are describing here is a red flag. NOTHING you mention makes it any less likely that this is an affair.

Do not take the focus off of the affair and put it onto meeting emotional needs. That doesn't work.

P
P
I can't honestly say I know all of her Emotional Needs
Focus on the 4 intimate emotional needs -- affection, Intimate Conversation, recreational companionship, and sexual fulfillment. These are the emotional needs that make people fall in love.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
There is one male acquaintance she's had for 2-3 months from her school, and she has been upfront the whole time. I have seen their texts. I have not seen anything worrisome.
Why is she texting with this guy?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
They mainly text regarding class assignments. This MBA class is almost entirely group oriented. You are in the same group of 4-5 people for the entire 1 year program, taking all of the core classes together (the entire cohort has to take those classes together). He is in her group. And they are the two "leaders" of the group - i.e. when there is a group paper due, they ensure that everyone has equal work and all of the work will cover the assignment.

Like I said, the majority of the texts are class-oriented, and the remainder aren't flirty in any way, just brief updates on other things that are going on (nothing intensely personal, just like "how is Atlanta?" since one knows the other is in Atlanta for business). And the texts are not daily. In fact, they sometimes go a week or more without texts. She never runs off with her phone, and she never tries to hide it from me. I will keep a close eye, and I will ask her again how exactly she feels when she talks to him. I understand that even though nothing physical may be going on, she could be growing closer just through conversation meeting her needs. And I understand that our program will have no hope if that continues.

I'm sure you think I have my head the in sand, but I'm not trying to, anyway. I have checked her phone and her e-mail before without her knowing.

Perhaps I should ask her to limit the personal texts with him?

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
Don't ask her how she feels when she talks to him. As MelodyLane explained, that kind of thing will never get you an honest answer if she has feelings for him, and will offend her if she doesn't.

M
M
Work and class provide plenty of opportunity for pursuing an affair. Don't assume it can't be happening based on the notion that she doesn't have the time.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
M
M
Why does she communicate with him about non-class related things? Colleagues in business or school ought to stick to business or school.

M
M
Lou, it sounds like Dr. Harley and his wife Joyce read your question on the Marriage Builders Radio show today. Take a listen to the rebroadcast and see what they said.

P
P
Like I said, the majority of the texts are class-oriented, and the remainder aren't flirty in any way, just brief updates on other things that are going on (nothing intensely personal, just like "how is Atlanta?" since one knows the other is in Atlanta for business).
This is very suspicious. "How is Atlanta?" is, indeed, a personal question. She is getting her need for conversation met by this man.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks, I will listen to that later. It looks like it is always streaming, so I'll just need to listen to the whole hour to find it?

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
This is very suspicious. "How is Atlanta?" is, indeed, a personal question. She is getting her need for conversation met by this man.

So what should I do?

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M

So what should I do?

I think you need to get some software on her phone/PC and get more exact information about what is going on. I also think you need to show up unannounced at school one day. I also think you should get a VAR (voice activated recorder) and GPS in her car and find out exactly where all she goes.

P
P
You need to know what she's doing with this guy when she thinks you aren't looking.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

F
F
Thanks, I will listen to that later. It looks like it is always streaming, so I'll just need to listen to the whole hour to find it?

Or if you have a smart phone you can download the radio app and fast forward / rewind to find it that way.

It's available for iPhone and And Android

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the support. I feel really iffy snooping on her like that, especially GPS. Like I said, I have access to her texts and emails. I have her password. I have been watching. I am conflicted because I feel strongly if anything, she is just getting a conversational need filled. But I feel like that should stop while we're going through this.

Prisca, if I may ask, how did you feel throughout the process? What were your thoughts when he told you about it (assuming he researched it and started it)? How did it feel early on when he engaged in these conversations with you while you didn't love him? How did your emotions start to change? How long did it take? Right now I am bothering her with my conversations, but they definitely aren't fulfilling her emotional needs, only mine (I am looking for comfort because am absolutely crushed right now).

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
G
G
Lou,

There is also good news if there is an affair or not you should be able to re-establish romantic love in your marriage.

Read up on this website and some of the MB books.

You may have to accept that your W never really loved you and that you have to start from almost zero again in the romance department.

That was one of the things my W after I had blundered into MB, was that she never felt the same about me for the 20+ years of our marriage after her pre-marriage affair with OM2. It's not easy to swallow all the wasted years.

God Bless
Gamma

M
M
Thanks for the support. I feel really iffy snooping on her like that, especially GPS.

To bring this around, you are going to have to do some things you don't feel like doing, regardless of how you feel about it, and regardless of how your wife feels about it. Like Prisca said, you need to find out what she's doing with this guy when she thinks you aren't watching.

Prisca, if I may ask, how did you feel throughout the process?

She hated it and she fought me tooth and nail and she did everything she could possibly do to make me stop.

How did your emotions start to change?

You are getting way ahead of yourself. Anyway, the "how" is described in Dr. Harley's Basic Concepts and explanation of the Love Bank.

How long did it take?

Felt like forever. It certainly didn't start changing before the truth of the affair was revealed.

Now, back to doing what you need to do - get that GPS.

Right now I am bothering her with my conversations, but they definitely aren't fulfilling her emotional needs, only mine

Actually, if those conversations aren't full of demands, disrespect, or anger, they are making love bank deposits. She won't like that while your balance in her love bank is negative, because she doesn't like you. But they are still making deposits, so don't stop.

His Needs Her Needs describes four friends of good conversation and four enemies of good conversation. You should review all eight of these daily, and practice the four friends and avoiding the four enemies daily. Spend fifteen hours a week doing this.

M
M
Have you listened to the show yet?

M
M
Dr. Harley addressed this letter at the 40 minute 30 second time mark.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
P
P
I am conflicted because I feel strongly if anything, she is just getting a conversational need filled.
What do you think an emotional affair is? Conversation is how people fall in love. There is no"just" here. This is a very dangerous road she is on. If you're lucky, it's just in the blossoming stage and you've caught it early.

You need to know what she is saying to him when she thinks you are not looking.

Prisca, if I may ask, how did you feel throughout the process? What were your thoughts when he told you about it (assuming he researched it and started it)? How did it feel early on when he engaged in these conversations with you while you didn't love him?
I hated him for trying and I made his life hell. I thought it was pointless, that I would never love him again. I didn't WANT to love him again. I certainly did NOT want to go on dates with him. I just wanted him to leave me alone and let me do my own thing.

How did your emotions start to change?
First, the OM had to be removed from the picture. My love bank was closed to Markos until that happened.

Then he diligently, patiently made love bank deposits and avoided Lovebusters until he pushed me over the romantic threshold. It was a slow process for us because he kept slipping up with Lovebusters. Do it well, and you could be in love again within 6 months.

But that will not work if there is another man meeting her emotional needs. You will only be spinning your wheels. It is crucial that you snoop on her and find out just how serious this man is.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M

Some huge red flags here. Opposite sex friendships are exactly how affairs start. I am particularly suspicious about the one with the wife and kids she wanted you meet. That is a pretty common tactic to throw off suspicion.

Exposure 101

M
M
"Thanks for the support. I feel really iffy snooping on her like that, especially GPS. Like I said, I have access to her texts and emails. I have her password. I have been watching. I am conflicted because I feel strongly if anything, she is just getting a conversational need filled. But I feel like that should stop while we're going through this."

Getting her needs met by another man is how romances start. It is critical that you put spyware and gps on her phone so you can see what is going on when she thinks you are not looking. If she is having an affair she will routinely delete texts and emails so you can't see them.

You can't go by your feelings here because they will mislead you. You need to go by facts and evidence. The future of your marriage depends on it.

Exposure 101

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you everyone for your support. I am going to listen to the radio broadcast now.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I just listened to podcast. Thank you so much, Dr. Bill and Joyce Harley, for responding to my post. I didn't dream of getting a direct response. I will say that she is at least willing to spend more time with me. We have a date this Friday, something that sounds really fun. She wants it to work, she wishes it wasn't this way, but she just doesn't see hope. The other misunderstanding from my initial post is that I have been "in love" the whole time. I have not. Honestly, I was in much worse shape than she was until a couple of years ago when I unknowingly applied some MB principles and fell in love with her again.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
markos, how did you give affection regularly if she didn't want it? I know I have only just started this process, so maybe things will change a little soon, but she is in no mood for hugs or any other close contact with me.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
F
F
markos, how did you give affection regularly if she didn't want it? I know I have only just started this process, so maybe things will change a little soon, but she is in no mood for hugs or any other close contact with me.

You might have to redefine what affection is. smile Affection is simply an expression of care. It conveys the message "I care about you". Think of it on those terms and I'll bet you can come up with all kinds of ideas. For example, my wife considers it affection when I ask her about her day and listen to her problems.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
F
Read Here

Originally Posted by Dr Harley Basic Concepts
Affection is the expression of care. It symbolizes security, protection, comfort and approval -- vital ingredients in any relationship. When one spouse is affectionate toward the other, the following messages are sent:

1. You are important to me. I will care for you and protect you.

2. I'm concerned about the problems you face and will be there for you when you need me.

A simple hug can say those things. And there are many other ways to show our affection: A greeting card or an "I love you" note; a bouquet of flowers; holding hands; walks after dinner; back rubs; phone calls; and conversations with thoughtful and loving expressions. All of these can effectively communicate affection.

Affection is, for many, the essential cement of a relationship. Without it, many feel totally alienated. With it, they become emotionally bonded. If you feel terrific when your spouse is affectionate, and you feel terrible when there is not enough of it, you have the emotional need for affection.

Last edited by FightTheFight; 06/25/14 01:55 PM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I think I have gotten to the bottom of the guy friend. No physical affair, but she is at the beginnings of an emotional one. I read all of their texts for the last month (verified none were deleted by checking phone bill). There is nothing extremely personal, but a lot of stuff that is beyond the scope of their school requirements, even when they're talking about school. Just too friendly. I have talked to her about it, and she has read Basic Concepts now. She says she is not attracted to him but she admits she is getting joy from their conversations. That's all I know right now.

She is seriously considering asking for us to separate for now. I am terrified of this. What is MB's view of separation? I have tried some searches of articles and discussion forums, but I haven't found anything particularly direct. Other marriage crisis services seem to almost encourage separation, to allow both parties to "think it through". This seems to go against the grain of UA and Love Deposits.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
It makes it much harder to save your marriage if you are separated. You can't fix a marriage if you are not there. I would continue to keep your eyes peeled and quietly watch her without letting her know.

This man is meeting your wife's need for conversation and that is how affairs start.

Exposure 101

M
M
Lou, if she asks for a separation, I would not cooperate. Of course, you cannot stop her from moving out, but you don't have to go along with it. And I would certainly not agree to a pretend in house "separation" where one spouse moves into the guest room, pronounces herself "separated" and feels entitled to date others. That is a nightmare.

Exposure 101

F
F

Separation would be a terrible idea. How can you work on your marriage if you are apart? A separation is likely to just make things worse!

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
But, as I mentioned earlier, the risks of separation are great. It should be used only as a last resort to help resolve a fatal flaw in marriage. Once separated, couples often never do reconcile, remaining separated for life, or they eventually divorce. A fact unknown to many is that fifteen to twenty percent of all married couples end their lives permanently separated. These, who are not included in divorce statistics, usually feel that they should not legally divorce for religious reasons. But for most practical purposes, they are as divorced as those legally divorced. Their separation did not create the opportunity for reconciliation, but rather, created an even higher barrier between spouses.

You need to be focused on fixing this thing, not separating.

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
The four rules to recovery that I recommend after an affair are marital rules that every couple should be following. So they should form the basis for any plan for recovery after a separation. Since the four rules cover every conceivable problem that married couples face, they would address the issue that led to your separation. If you were to follow these four rules as part of your plan for recovery, I guarantee you that you will not only eliminate the problems that led you to separate, but you will also resolve many other conflicts that have prevented you from having a successful marriage.

You need to be in plan A right now. And she needs to give up her guy "friend".

Read What are Plan A and Plan B?

This is how to recover your marriage:
Read Here

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Going completely without contact with that guy right now is almost not an option, at least form her perspective. He is in her group, a group which she must be a part of through Decemeber in order to graduate. If she doesn't graduate, she will lose her job, which is a very good one for us (good pay, low & flexible hours). They gave her a promotion with the expectation that she would complete this degree. They are also paying $40,000 for it.

All of that makes it really difficult to have no contact with him, and that is considering the fact that she is not on board with trying to fix things right now. Considering that, there's no way contact will stop completely with him right now.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M

You can offer affection even when she declines. The point is you are showing willingness.

Dr. Harley defines affection as a symbol of care. When a lady receives flowers and loves them it's not that she loves flowers so much - it's that it's a symbol of the care the man shows for her. The actual care has to be there, though, or the symbol will have no meaning. So if you look through the list of affectionate acts Dr. Harley gives that one lady made for her husband:
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5010_qa.html
... you'll see that in addition to more symbolic acts, there are also more concrete acts: helping her clean up after dinner, calling her to let her know when he's coming home, etc.

So:
* include both concrete and symbolic acts of care
* continue to offer affection daily

Eventually she will appreciate it when your balance in your account in her love bank rises.

MEANWHILE, don't let any of this distract you from the all-important task of uncovering the specifics of her relationships with other men!

M
M
Going completely without contact with that guy right now is almost not an option, at least form her perspective. He is in her group, a group which she must be a part of through Decemeber in order to graduate. If she doesn't graduate, she will lose her job, which is a very good one for us (good pay, low & flexible hours). They gave her a promotion with the expectation that she would complete this degree. They are also paying $40,000 for it.

All of that makes it really difficult to have no contact with him, and that is considering the fact that she is not on board with trying to fix things right now. Considering that, there's no way contact will stop completely with him right now.

So she will keep you around to take care of her until she finishes her high paying degree and then she can take off for greener pastures with her MBA contacts. Sweet deal for her.

M
M
She says she is not attracted to him but she admits she is getting joy from their conversations.

That's all we need to know to know that she is having an emotional affair. If you continue to tolerate it, your marriage will not survive.

Do you have the book Surviving an Affair?

F
F
Going completely without contact with that guy right now is almost not an option, at least form her perspective. He is in her group, a group which she must be a part of through Decemeber in order to graduate.

Well she doesn't have to be a co-leader of the group with him. And they don't have to talk about unrelated things. Your wife is threatening to separate from you if you don't let her have her relationship with this man. Your wife realizes she doesn't love you anymore because she has a new point of comparison with this guy. She is developing feelings for him and now suddenly realizes "Hey, I don't feel that way about Lou". If this goes on till December, she will separate from you to continue her relationship with him because she will be in love if she isn't already.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by markos
That's all we need to know to know that she is having an emotional affair. If you continue to tolerate it, your marriage will not survive.

Do you have the book Surviving an Affair?
I have not read the book. What do you mean by "tolerating"? I have found the truth, confronted her in a respectful manner, and she agrees with what I say, that we can't get better while something like that is going on. But what am I supposed to do now? Demand that she cease? I have already said everything I can say without resorting to anger or demands.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
L
You are Tolerating her having an Affair by not taking crucial steps to blow it apart.

If you do not try to break up her affair, then you are in essence condoning and accepting it.

Get the SAA book and learn it..... Now.

It will not do you, your marriage or your family any good if she earns all that extra money, but winds up with another guy to share it with.

Your conversations are meaningless to a Wayward because they are too buried in their self-entitlement stage
LTL

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
We met with a pastor at our church today, just to talk. I have never felt so empty and hopeless. This is the worst hour of my life

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
Lou, please tell us everything about the visit and we can tell you if it is hopeless or not. It probably is not.

Exposure 101

P
P
I think I have gotten to the bottom of the guy friend. No physical affair, but she is at the beginnings of an emotional one. I read all of their texts for the last month (verified none were deleted by checking phone bill). There is nothing extremely personal, but a lot of stuff that is beyond the scope of their school requirements, even when they're talking about school. Just too friendly. I have talked to her about it, and she has read Basic Concepts now. She says she is not attracted to him but she admits she is getting joy from their conversations. That's all I know right now.

She is seriously considering asking for us to separate for now. I am terrified of this. What is MB's view of separation? I have tried some searches of articles and discussion forums, but I haven't found anything particularly direct. Other marriage crisis services seem to almost encourage separation, to allow both parties to "think it through". This seems to go against the grain of UA and Love Deposits.

So sorry to hear this, Lou, but I'm not surprised. frown
Get the book Surviving An Affair and start reading it. You can download it off of amazon and start reading tonight.
Whatever you do, do not cooperate with any of her schemes to separate. Do not leave your home. Stay and fight for your marriage.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Lou, please tell us everything about the visit and we can tell you if it is hopeless or not. It probably is not.

Yes, do tell us what happened. So far, I see a LOT of hope for you.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Not a lot of new information came out. I have been optimistic all week (except for the mornings). But today was the clearest she has indicated that she doesn't think it is fixable. She wants me to respect her decisions. She has agreed to 2 or 3 therapy sessions. I emphasized that she can't judge how this will go based on a few sessions. This will take time, with me, to change. I shared with her again some of the stories I have heard here. I shared again how enlightening this information has been looking back at our relationship - when it was good (which was not for very long) and why it slowly degraded.

I am in complete despair at the moment. I still think building love with MB principles is logical, but it is really hard to believe in logic right now. I am just hoping I can sleep through the night, which I haven't done in a week.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
Hi Lou, we can help you but it is really important that you don't despair and that you pay close attention.

I would avoid therapy at all cost because that will likely spelll the end of your marriage. If the "therapist" suggests separation or divorce, your marriage is likely over. And most therapists are so destructive to marriage that there is a strong chance of that happening. [we see this all the time] When that happens it will be 10x harder to save your marriage. Marriage counselors have an 84% failure rate and have a higher personal divorce rate than the general population. We regularly see the fallout from their horrendous advice on this forum. They are typically little more than divorce facilitators because they do not know how to save a marriage. They don't have the slightest idea how to save your marriage.

We can help you save your marriage, Lou, if you don't cooperate in the destructive plan of your wife. Here is what we need you to do:

1. stop going to "therapy" because it will make the situation worse

2. be as loving and kind as possible to your wife. If she has complaints about you, then take them seriously

3. don't cooperate with any "separation" or divorce schemes. Just say "no thanks." smile

4. snoop like a blood hound and don't get caught

If you will do those things, I predict you will save your marriage with our help.

Exposure 101

M
M
I am going to reiterate that there is someone else in her life and you need to diligently dig that out. Once you dig that out, we can dramatically change the dynamics of this situation because we will help oyu run him off. If he is out of her life, she will have no reason to leave and every reason to stay and work on her marriage.

In the words of Dr. Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders:

"I've seen so many spouses lie about affairs, that when one spouse wants a separation, my best guess is that he or she is having an affair. I'm right almost every time.

Why would anyone need to be alone to sort things out? It makes much more sense to think that being separated makes it easier to be with their lover. Granted, there are many good reasons for a separation, such as physical or extreme mental abuse. But of all those I've seen separate, most have had lovers in the wings."
here

Exposure 101

G
G
Lou519,

I still think it could be someone from her deep past compared to whom you were 2nd choice, but he was unavailable or had problems. This current OM would then be a symptom of the disease caused by the first OM.

God Bless
Gamma

P
P
Go to your doctor and ask him to put you on antidepressants short term. They will help you remain calm and keep a level head to do what you need to do to save your marriage. Dr. Harley often recommends this. It's what got Markos through.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

B
B
Here is your show.
Radio Clip of Lou519's Show

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
Lou,

It is my understanding that you called OM and spoke with him telling him to back off on texting and calling your wife. I'm telling you it is very likely he will tell your wife you called him and she will be irate. She will act like it was the straw that broke the camel's back. She will be angry.

Your marriage can survive her anger.

What's really important is what you do next. Her anger is partially designed to manipulate you to keep your mouth shut and punish you for interfering with her inappropriate relationship. You must NOT fall for this. You MUST without fanfare or any forewarning call or meet with, if you can, OM's wife and calmly (very important to be calm and rational sounding since they will later call you crazy) tell her...

"I just thought you should be aware, I recently contacted and talked with your husband about the quantity and context of his personal texts and communications with my wife and asked him, man to man, to back off. He chose instead to call my wife and tell her about our conversation and portray me as some crazy jealous possessive husband. Since your husband decided my wife should be aware, I thought it fair that you should be aware of your husband's behavior as well. It is my understanding that they are just friends, however, the level and extent of their friendship makes me uncomfortable and the fact she (and they) won't end it upon my rational and logical calm objections is a pretty strong indication TO ME, that their relationship is to some extent inappropriate. I apologize in advance for involving you. Maybe you won't be as concerned but if you want to discuss, compare or see any of the documents supporting the fact they texted over _____ times in the last 120 days, escalating to _____ texts in the last 30 days along with emails and other social media communications, all you need to do is ask. To be clear, as of now I am not accusing nor have I seen any evidence indicating they kissed, hugged, shared loving feelings or anything more than an inappropriate over the top friendship that making me suspicious of intentions and very uncomfortable"

You may actually need to email that to her instead, if you can, and maybe include a copy of your cell phone bill or something to help support your credibility (since you WILL be called a crazy jealous neglectful possessive abusive husband).

Again...OM telling your wife about you calling him up is completely a sign that he cares way too much about your wife's thoughts, feelings and her marriage. If he truly cared about HIS wife the same way...he'd keep his mouth shut. The fact he thinks calling your wife is OK demonstrates his over involvement in your marriage and if you don't call him on it...you are letting him "win" your wife's feelings over towards him as he is demonstrating an over the top level of care for her to the detriment of his own marriage and family. OM needs something more and better to worry about than your wife...he needs to deal with HIS wife and try to explain this situation to her and he needs to know you aren't to be trifled with...if the guy wants to pursue other women than his wife, getting yours isn't going to be a cakewalk.

Good luck

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
They did talk about it because they have to meet. Their group (of only 5) meets every Monday, and they're in the middle of a project emergency. He said he was very confused about the call and showed his wife the texts. She also probably thinks I'm crazy. But my wife was not mad long. I explained to her exactly why I did it, and she says she understands. It's only been a couple of days since the call, but the texts have slowed down tremendously.

I learned everything I could learn, and all evidence points to him thinking it was harmless friendship. I am out of snooping power at this point, anyway. She has changed her passwords and is moving into an apartment later this month.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
P
P
I learned everything I could learn, and all evidence points to him thinking it was harmless friendship. I am out of snooping power at this point, anyway. She has changed her passwords and is moving into an apartment later this month.

Who cares what he thinks? Who cares what he calls their relationship? All that matters is that it is destroying your marriage.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
She also probably thinks I'm crazy.
You need to talk to her yourself. Mr.Wondering provided a wonderful template for you to use.

Have you read SAA yet?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
Again...OM telling your wife about you calling him up is completely a sign that he cares way too much about your wife's thoughts, feelings and her marriage. If he truly cared about HIS wife the same way...he'd keep his mouth shut. The fact he thinks calling your wife is OK demonstrates his over involvement in your marriage and if you don't call him on it...you are letting him "win" your wife's feelings over towards him as he is demonstrating an over the top level of care for her to the detriment of his own marriage and family. OM needs something more and better to worry about than your wife...he needs to deal with HIS wife and try to explain this situation to her and he needs to know you aren't to be trifled with...if the guy wants to pursue other women than his wife, getting yours isn't going to be a cakewalk.
QFT

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
1. Expose to OM's wife (that does not mean you let someone else tell her)
2. Call POSOM and DEMAND he end contact. DEMAND he never call her again. Nobody cares if he thinks it's harmless.
3. Expose to her parents, school officials, and her employers who are paying for this, friends, clergy, and anyone else in her life. 4. Read SAA
5. Go back and listen to your show daily, and listen to the new shows daily.

People have brought their marriages back from far, FAR worse than this, but you have to act! If you want your little girl to grow up with both a mommy and a daddy, then act!

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Here is your show.
Radio Clip of Lou519's Show

Listen to this.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M

Who cares what he thinks? Who cares what he calls their relationship? All that matters is that it is destroying your marriage.
Nothing is harmless about this friendship.

Last year, mrsEureka took a plate of cookies to her work. She was working on recipes for a baking contest, and left a notepad with the cookies for people to write comments on. One of the men there though he was being clever, and wrote "Will you marry me" on the notepad. Let me just say that this side of DDay, you don't mess with the Eurekas. That guy now takes a wide circle around my wife.

It doesn't matter what other people think. Strong boundaries are tangible evidence of the extraordinary care that marriage partners have pledged to one another.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
So my wife is officially moving out in two weeks. Moving into an apartment 5 miles away. There is no infidelity, so Plan A and B don't seem to be an option. I can't find any information here for what Dr. Harley recommends for a situation like mine - wife thinks it's over, but wants some time to figure it out. I resisted separation but she was adamant. I am learning about my LBs towards her and avoiding them at all costs. She does not want to spend time alone with me right now, but I am taking any chance she gives me to have a positive interaction with her, to listen to what's going on with her. But what do I do once she has moved out? She has agreed to go to church on Sundays with me, so I will do everything I can to make sure we have that time together. I'm also going to suggest that we do something after church every week, but I don't want to pressure too much too soon.

So what are the thoughts on non-infidelity separation at MB?

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
My thoughts are that this will be the FIRST time in my 13 years on this board that a wife has "separated" when there is not an affair. This is a major anomaly! A board record of sorts.

What is her stance on dating while separated?

Exposure 101

J
J

Lou, at this point your best bet is to hire a PI and get evidence of their affair.
Dont believe your "trusting feelings" that they arent having one.
Get evidence and then come back here.

In the meantime, Dr. Harley would encourage you to enter Plan A.

Also, if she moves DO NOT HELP HER MOVE.

EDIT: Also, don't tell your wife that you have a thread in the Forum.

Last edited by Jedi_Knight; 07/14/14 08:35 PM.
M
M

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders
"I've seen so many spouses lie about affairs, that when one spouse wants a separation, my best guess is that he or she is having an affair. I'm right almost every time.

Why would anyone need to be alone to sort things out? It makes much more sense to think that being separated makes it easier to be with their lover. Granted, there are many good reasons for a separation, such as physical or extreme mental abuse. But of all those I've seen separate, most have had lovers in the wings."
here

Exposure 101

L
L
You are being gaslighted to the extreme and due to your lack of digging hard enough, she WILL spin such a beautiful romantic love story about how her NEW White Knight came to her rescue AFTER your marriage was only a marriage on a piece of paper.

You have 2 weeks!!!

What will you do to defeat this apparent affair?

Sit back and wait and let her romantic fable evolve,

Or,

Put spyware on her cell phone, a gps tracker on her vehicle, VAR's in her car and other areas she goes for "Privacy", put a keylogger on her computer she uses, and hire a PI?

Your choice. It's your marriage dissolving before your very own eyes.

LTL

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Here is an article by Dr. Harley himself, posted on this website, where he acknowledges (at the beginning of his article) that not all separations involve infidelity.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8113_ab.html

Like I said before, I snooped and read through a month and a half of texts and while they are beyond the purely professional level, there was really nothing that surprised me. I confirmed that none had been deleted by checking them against her phone records. Also, I confronted the other man about the excessive texting. The texts (at least on the phone that I know about) have slowed down significantly, but not completely (like I would expect if she had a "cheat" phone). Her attitude towards me has improved somewhat since that time (about 2 weeks ago). She is not quite as distant. She stopped locking me out of the bedroom.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
Here is an article by Dr. Harley himself, posted on this website, where he acknowledges (at the beginning of his article) that not all separations involve infidelity.

I am not sure what you have read that makes you think you are the exception to this comment:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley

And maybe you are the first instance in my 13 years on this board. Who knows. But the spy techniques you have employed are not thorough and are not convincing in the least. Even the dumbest wayward knows how to avoid using a phone [that her spouse has full access to] to carry on her affair. This is not surprising. But it doesn't sound like you have tried other methods.

Wouldn't it be terrible if you spun your wheels taking futile steps when there was an affair the entire time?

Exposure 101

G
G
Lou,

In another thread you wrote, She finally told me that she "loves me but doesn't love me" last week.

And in the same thread you spoke about your W going to classes, given the killer statement above, it seems your W is involved with one of her teachers or a fellow student. I think you will find your answer at her school.

I believe you mentioned that her behavior changed for the worse when she started attending school, because another risk factor is starting to associate with a new group of people.

God Bless
Gamma

Last edited by Gamma; 07/15/14 08:35 AM.
A
A
Women who consider separation *without* an affair will spend years pleading their husband to change. "Figure it out" means she is deciding on another man.

M
M
Originally Posted by alis
Women who consider separation *without* an affair will spend years pleading their husband to change. "Figure it out" means she is deciding on another man.

This is true. We typically have to beg to persuade neglected, abused women to leave their husbands. It is a very difficult feat to get such a woman to move out. Even women who are being beaten up don't want to leave. They believe if they just try a little harder, their husbands will change.

The only ones we have seen volunteer to move out are those in an affair. Because otherwise there is no reason to leave. It makes no sense for her to leave unless she is having an affair. That is the only thing that makes sense.

Exposure 101

B
B
Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com. When your email question is chosen to be answered on the radio show, you will be notified by email directing you to listen to the rebroadcast. If you would like to consider being a caller, include your telephone number. You will be called by us to explain the procedure to you. Every caller will receive a complementary book by Dr. Harley that addresses their question.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
Lou, please please do not take our word for it! We could be some crazy paranoid internet wackos rather than a group of people who have seen thousands of such cases over the years and know all the signs. I implore you not to take anyone's word, but to do some extensive snooping on your own. The snooping that you did was not comprehensive enough to detect an affair.

Exposure 101

B
B
Lou, please please do not take our word for it! We could be some crazy paranoid internet wackos rather than a group of people who have seen thousands of such cases over the years and know all the signs. I implore you not to take anyone's word, but to do some extensive snooping on your own. The snooping that you did was not comprehensive enough to detect an affair.
Why not hire a PI and prove us all wrong?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
It's been a while since I posted. We are putting the house on the market in the next 2-3 weeks. Hopefully it will be sold soon after. We are strapped for cash getting the house ready, but once it's sold, I'm hiring a PI. No new evidence or suspicions, but I want to put it to bed or confirm.

No major changes in our relationship. She did move out in late July. We have had contact most days, usually text. We've had a couple heart-warming conversations, just very friendly from both sides. I've been to her apt a few times, always regarding dropping off or picking up our daughter. But she has invited me to hangout for a bit a couple of times, including yesterday.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
O
O
hmmm, you're selling your house because you have completely separated your incomes and can't support two households.
I know what that's like, it's called divorce.

Lou, you mention above that you can't do plan B because there is no affair. I don't believe that's the case. I think this way of living is extremely unhealthy for you and your child. I think it's perfectly reasonable to say something to the effect of " can't live like this anymore, this is not the type of marriage I want." "I will agree to work on the marriage when you are ready, and until then I can have no more contact with you".

You are in the advantageous position that she moved out. You are holding a lot of cards with that.

could you read up more on Plan B and see if you can modify it to your circumstances? Remember, it's not a threat or an ultimatum. She has made a choice, you are making yours.

Right now you are giving her the best of both worlds and paying a huge price. Also demonstrating a poor example of marriage to your kid. It's got to stop somewhere and it wont if you keep going this way -- she's perfectly happy with this sick arrangement.

Added benefit -- if she IS having an affair, Plan B will have a massive impact on that. she will have to rely on Mr. Wonderful for everything and find out he's probably not so wonderful. (remember john/sue in SAA).

to wifey: "move home when you are done living in fantasy land, until then it's too painful for me to live this way". You can/should draw up a legal separation/visitation schedule for the kid.
through this process I wouldn't even mention divorce, this is not about divorce. it's about saving the marriage.
\
MB colleagues: where am I going wrong here?

opt

Me: 43 y.o. BFWH, D-day 11/11/09 (NC since 9/01)
Divorce from WW final 9/16/10.
Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Mine: S(16), D(11)
NatureGirls: S(23), D(21)
Another EA Story
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I would love some more perspective on this. That would be a huge step so I'd need to consider it very carefully. FYI, 6 weeks into PI, no sign of A, either from their perspective or mine. I know it could take time to find that, but at this point I'm operating like there isn't one.

I don't know how much I've discussed it here, but she is extremely depressed. She's struggled with it for years, but it is at an all-time low. She can't eat enough and is losing weight, even though she is already at an optimal weight. She's trying to exercise to help with the depression, but she can't eat enough calories to sustain the exercise and normal body function. I know it's not my problem to fix, and I get the feeling our M has no chance until she gets it somewhat under control. Any perspective on a depressed WW?

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
btw, reading back through this thread, several of you suggested that her "figuring it out" was deciding on another man. I called a suspected OM back in June to tell him to stop texting my W so much (a member of her class group, who typically texted about school projects...excessively). I truly believe she developed feelings for him April-June, and that played a huge factor in the ILYBNILWY bomb. Is it possible he was kind of leading her on with all of the texting without realizing the seriousness of it until I called him out on it? She said he called her to "have a discussion about their communication" after I called him. I'm no longer around her or her phone, but all indications is that it severely tapered off after that. PI so far has not found evidence of them hanging out outside of school, which was happening a lot before that (in groups). Also, she was supposed to host a party with 3-4 people, including suspected OM, at her apt in August. She was very excited about it. She never told me, but PI said that the party didn't happen - she was alone all night. Is it possible that the suspected OM pulled back from her and now she is left without anyone?

I say all of this because I was a suspected OM last year. I had become very friendly with a woman at work. I knew it was dangerous, so I tried to keep my W and her H informed of it, but there were still some secrets with some too-intimate convos. I didn't realize how dangerous of a path I was walking until the H told me he had suspected us of having an A. I was shocked, and my relationship with OW was never the same, due to me backing off. I wonder if the same thing happened with this OM.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
B
B
Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com. When your email question is chosen to be answered on the radio show, you will be notified by email directing you to listen to the rebroadcast. If you would like to consider being a caller, include your telephone number. You will be called by us to explain the procedure to you. Every caller will receive a complementary book by Dr. Harley that addresses their question.

Did you ever email Dr. Harley?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

U
U
Do you still have contact with your OW?

It would have been nice to know, when asking for advice on your wife moving out, being depressed, etc. that you yourself had just engaged in an affair. You provided half the story and expected accurate advice.

FYI the advice would have been the same. Your wife fell out of love with you after your own infidelity, engaged in infidelity herself, and now you are separated and she is very depressed.

Plan A absolutely applies here, by the way.

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L

No. I must have missed this comment. I will email today. Thank you

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by unwritten
Do you still have contact with your OW?

It would have been nice to know, when asking for advice on your wife moving out, being depressed, etc. that you yourself had just engaged in an affair. You provided half the story and expected accurate advice.

FYI the advice would have been the same. Your wife fell out of love with you after your own infidelity, engaged in infidelity herself, and now you are separated and she is very depressed.

Plan A absolutely applies here, by the way.

I have only talked to her once in the last year, and that was because she came into the office to visit everyone. Honestly I wouldn't be worried if she moved back to our company - that EA is dead to me.

I did not intend to keep it from anyone here. I honestly didn't realize it was an EA until well after reading HNHN and listening to some broadcasts. I don't think my WAW had an EA directly because I did...she didn't even know about it until I told her about it this summer, after BD. But I do know that it helped lead to it as it made me even more emotionally distant from my W. But I was so negligent of her ENs before that I think she would have reached this point regardless. I do think the separation had aggravated her depression . Another factor I haven't mentioned is that we had a miscarriage in Jan 2014. I healed from it quickly, but she is a slow healer, and I think it is still raw for her.

Regarding Plan A...by all indications, the EA ended 1-2 months ago. She is now S but not in any EA or PA that I know of, to the extent of my abilities and finances. But she has not given any indication for pursuit of reconciliation. So no POJA. Do I sit on the default POJA position: do nothing until an enthusiastic agreement is made? Or is it Plan B time until she comes to me about reconciliation (or divorce)?

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
B
B

No. I must have missed this comment. I will email today. Thank you
Let us know when you hear back from him.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I will be on the program next friday, 10/3. It was great to talk to Joyce for a few minutes today! She is so positive even 1-on-1.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
B
B
I will be on the program next friday, 10/3. It was great to talk to Joyce for a few minutes today! She is so positive even 1-on-1.
The Harleys are wonderful. I'm so glad you'll be on the show. We'll be listening.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

J
J
Lou,

Is your wife taking anti-depressant medication?
If not, she should visit her doctor for an evaluation.

As for your question about Plan A or Plan B, Dr. Harley generally recommends Plan A for several months prior to Plan B.
Since you are separated and the PI has found no evidence of an active affair then you should try to Plan A.

However, most separations make room for affairs. Keep snooping

I
I
Honestly I wouldn't be worried if she moved back to our company - that EA is dead to me.

Its that kind of thinking that got you into an affair. The people who have affairs fail to protect their hearts because they think not wanting an affair/a person is the same as preventing an affair.

She probably wasn't a huge temptation initially either; going back to that square one changes nothing.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
Lou,

Is your wife taking anti-depressant medication?
If not, she should visit her doctor for an evaluation.

As for your question about Plan A or Plan B, Dr. Harley generally recommends Plan A for several months prior to Plan B.
Since you are separated and the PI has found no evidence of an active affair then you should try to Plan A.

However, most separations make room for affairs. Keep snooping

That is my take but I'll be very interested in Dr. Harley's. The PI is still on it. Like I said, I am not interested in getting the details of her whereabouts, so I'll only be contacted if they find positive evidence of an A.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Honestly I wouldn't be worried if she moved back to our company - that EA is dead to me.

Its that kind of thinking that got you into an affair. The people who have affairs fail to protect their hearts because they think not wanting an affair/a person is the same as preventing an affair.

She probably wasn't a huge temptation initially either; going back to that square one changes nothing.
You are right. Especially with my current situation, I know I'm vulnerable to another EA, or even a PA. There is really no chance of the OW moving back (she moved back to her hometown 1,000+ miles away, got a job that makes twice the pay, etc.), but I know now how easy it was for me to slip into that EA. It would be even easier next time, so I am trying to take extraordinary precautions (zero alone time with women, not becoming FB friends or exchanging #'s with new women that I meet).

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Just spoke with Dr. Harley. He gave me some general insight into depression. Just as I suspected, it sounds like she decided to be on her own right now and there's not a lot I can do about that. He gave me two recommendations, which seem to be somewhat contrasting:

1. Keep doing what I'm doing, which is being a friend and working on myself (love busters, fulfilling her ENs when I have the chance). There has been slow but steady micro progress through that.

2. Invite her to move back into the house. I suspect that this would not go well with her right now. I will send them a follow-up e-mail to ask a little bit more about it. We ran out of time on the show.

One thing I disagreed with but didn't have the chance to talk to them about is that they believe selling our house signifies the end of the marriage to my W. I can definitely see how they think that. But we really can't survive this year financially with the house and apartment, and we agreed when we put the house on the market that it would work with the entire family in her apartment if we got back together (it's a large two bedroom).

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
J
J
Lou,

Email Dr. Harley your follow up concern about the house.
It's important that you follow his guidance and equally important that he is aware of your financial limitations.

U
U
1. Keep doing what I'm doing, which is being a friend and working on myself (love busters, fulfilling her ENs when I have the chance). There has been slow but steady micro progress through that.

What does this mean, that you have slow micro progress on this aspect?

B
B
Here's your call.
Radio Clip of Lou519's call

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I e-mailed the Harleys with my follow-up questions about the house situation but didn't get a response yet. I know they're busy and I'm grateful for the time they've given me, anyway.

Originally Posted by "unwritten"
What does this mean, that you have slow micro progress on this aspect?

I mean that there haven't been any leaps-and-bounds improvements, like if she said she wanted to talk about working on the marriage, but there have been some small improvements over the last 2 months. In early July, she didn't want to talk to or see me. By August she agree to at least go to church with me. Then we started meeting at the gym. By end of August and during Sept, she began texting and IM-ing me more and more, usually about friendly, non-essential matters. She invited me over to her apt a couple of times just to hang out as a family. Last week she invited me to meet her and D2 at a park.

So it has been slow but steady progress, as far as I could tell, with the end goal of [starting] the reconciliation process in mind. With that said, she has been really distant the last week+. There have been no incidents between us to cause it. I'm not trying to read into it because there is a lot going on for her in October...very busy school month, board meetings at work. On top of that I have no idea what is going on with her depression. And I do know she has sleep problems because she has to take medicine every Saturday night just to ensure she can get at least one good night of sleep a week. She has mood swings from one day to the next as she is trying to adjust to new meds from her therapist/counselor.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
B
B
I e-mailed the Harleys with my follow-up questions about the house situation but didn't get a response yet. I know they're busy and I'm grateful for the time they've given me, anyway.
Notify the MODS so they can let the Harleys know.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for posting that link to my call, btw. I e-mailed mods but no response from them or the Harleys. Right now I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing (being a friend, filling EN's when she allows, working on my own issues). She is not desperate to move back in as Dr. H guessed. I know he is only going off of an e-mail and a quick phone call. I have the dogs, I have our D about 60% of the time, she has maintenance she can call for any issues with her apt, her household is now 1/2 the size it was, so less space to clean. She is alone and free 1/2 of every week, so she now has plenty of time to work on school. I'm not celebrating these things for her, I'm just saying that that's what she's told me. Hopefully she is using this time to breath and get through her crisis. She has issues to resolve before our M could take off again. I think I would be a tremendous support for her now that I am awake to my own faults, the love building process, LB's, etc. But there is no convincing her of that. If she chooses to walk this path with me, we have a great future in front of us. If she doesn't, I feel confident I'll find lasting happiness with someone else because of what I've learned.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
J
Administrator
Administrator
J
Lou,

I'm sorry for not responding directly to you. I did receive your email and forwarded the email, & your post to Dr Harley & Joyce. I have again, today, re-notified them.

Please feel free to contact me if you do not hear something from them in the next couple of days.

Again, sorry for the problems...

JustUss

Administrator/Moderator
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks again! MB, MB Radio and the Harleys have been a huge lift throughout all of this.

Well I don't get a lot of time with W these days, but today she met me at the gym. I was able to pepper her with a few love deposits smile Afterwards we texted for a while.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
So much for progress. Tonight she blamed me for all of her problems and struggles, told me she had lost the ability to love anyone or anything until she left me, and she is planning on dating. Encouraged me to do the same (which of course I will not). She doesn't see anything wrong with dating since we're separated. Says she does not want to work on our marriage right now.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
J
J
Just dont engage in these talks with her.
Simply say "I am willing to work with you to build a romantic marriage."

Since she mentioned dating, she likely is already involved in an affair and the separation was cover to justify a sudden "new relationship"

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Dr Harley said he'd be willing to talk to her on the air if she is. Should I extend this invitation to her? If so, how?

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
J
J
Dr Harley said he'd be willing to talk to her on the air if she is. Should I extend this invitation to her? If so, how?

I would tell her, "I am willing to work with you to create a loving romantic marriage. I have personally spoken with Dr. Bill Harley, the author of the bestselling book His Needs Her Needs and he has said that he is willing to speak to both of us on his Radio Show or by email to offer his advice. Would you be willing to email Dr. Harley? He said to email him at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com"

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I will be in the program again tomorrow. So thankful for the Harleys for taking a second call!

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
B
B
I will be in the program again tomorrow. So thankful for the Harleys for taking a second call!
Here's your show.
Radio Clip of Lou519's show
Segment #2
Segment #3
Segment #4

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Well, I denied and denied it back in July. I tried to investigate myself, unsuccessfully. I hired a PI, but heard nothing - He must have just pocketed my money.

W called me and confessed a 7 month A, which OM ended 3 weeks ago. She told me just before he broke up with her that she wanted a D. She has not mentioned anything about us since the reveal. I don't even think I want to be M to her anymore, anyway. My heart finally became at peace with our situation a couple of weeks ago, and I was excited about a new future. I'm sickened and don't even know if it's worth trying with her again, IF she even wants to.

But, anyway, I thought I would give you all props for stating the obvious back in July. She left me for OM.

Last edited by Lou519; 01/03/15 07:54 PM.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
B
B
Well, I denied and denied it back in July. I tried to investigate myself, unsuccessfully. I hired a PI, but heard nothing - He must have just pocketed my money.

W called me and confessed a 7 month A, which OM ended 3 weeks ago. She told me just before he broke up with her that she wanted a D. She has not mentioned anything about us since the reveal. I don't even think I want to be M to her anymore, anyway. My heart finally became at peace with our situation a couple of weeks ago, and I was excited about a new future. I'm sickened and don't even know if it's worth trying with her again, IF she even wants to.

But, anyway, I thought I would give you all props for stating the obvious back in July. She left me for OM.
I'm so sorry for your pain. We really do wish we are wrong in these situations.

Do you want to try and save your marriage?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
Who is the OM? Is he married?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I don't know right now. I need more time to process everything. I have come a long way in learning how to deal with trauma. I'm actually not insanely hurt right now. I would have been borderline suicidal 6 months ago.

A few days before she revealed that to me, after she emphatically said she wanted a D after months of contemplation, and after I became at peace with our situation, I talked to a girl who recently got out of a longtime R with a BF who wouldn't marry her. It's my sister's best friend. Me, my sister, BIL and her went out and had a bunch of fun last Friday night. Nothing physical or even really emotional happened, we just hung out at a bar and all danced. I could sense interest from her, and I definitely have interest for her. I know that it wasn't WW's personality that caused our M to fail, but this other girl has lots of qualities that WW doesn't have, which makes me wonder what it would be like to be with her. She is fun-loving, exciting, adventurous. WW has lots of great qualities but those aren't part of them. But they are part of my personality. I would always want to dance at a wedding, or go somewhere adventurous and outdoors for our vacations. WW would rather sit down with a glass of wine at a wedding, or go on a cruise or to a luxury hotel for our vacations. I was okay with those choices, but I would be thrilled to be with a woman who wanted to do the things that I also really wanted to do. I know I'm not ready to start a new serious R, but I saw what kind of potential there is out there. I was really excited about the future, and I was at peace letting WW go. I didn't ask out this other girl yet, but we did make plans to go skiing (as friends, with a group) in the next couple of weeks. It's not really just this specific girl that has me excited about a new future, just the idea that I could find happiness again, and possibly with someone that it wouldn't be as much of a struggle to find common ground with.

So now I'm questioning if I even want to go back to the M with WW. I do believe we could rebuild to something better than we ever had. I believe in the MB principles, because they perfectly explain how we fell apart. I will eventually forgive WW for the A, because I believe very deeply in forgiveness. My personal belief, though, is that our vows are broken, and for better or worse no longer applies. So I have to decide if I want to take a leap of faith with WW and spend more years working with her (although it would be real M work, which we've never done), or take a leap of faith into the great unknown outside of my M, which I'm no longer afraid of but excited about.

Also, WW has not mentioned that she wants to reconcile. But I know now that she is following the WW script to a T, I know it's possible that she could come down from her fantasy land in the near future and change her mind.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I don't know exactly who he is. He is from her MBA program which I mentioned in the beginning. She claims it's not the guy I originally suspected. I don't know if I believe her, but I don't know why she would feel the need to lie about that...which guy it is makes no difference to me.

And yes, he is married, with kids. Apparently he dumped her so he could try to reconcile with his W. They had a by-the-book A. It lasted an average amount of time and ended when one of them lost the brain chemistry that stirs up in the beginning of a R. Apparently WW and OM had talked about a future together.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
The A explains SO much about the last 6 months. I think what astounds me the most is just how much she lied to me. She lied everyday, and in so many different ways. And I honestly don't think she ever lied to me before this fiasco, not even a little lie. A's make people do crazy things, I guess.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
B
B
I don't know exactly who he is. He is from her MBA program which I mentioned in the beginning. She claims it's not the guy I originally suspected. I don't know if I believe her, but I don't know why she would feel the need to lie about that...which guy it is makes no difference to me.

And yes, he is married, with kids. Apparently he dumped her so he could try to reconcile with his W. They had a by-the-book A. It lasted an average amount of time and ended when one of them lost the brain chemistry that stirs up in the beginning of a R. Apparently WW and OM had talked about a future together.
Your choice to end your marriage is definitely your choice to make and I don't think you'll find anyone here that will fault you for that choice.

One thing you need to make sure and do is expose her affair especially to the OM's BW. You know how you felt not knowing for those agonizing months. Find OMBW and expose to her.

Another thing is get D before you start getting involved with anyone. You are walking on thin ice contemplating another woman. You're on the verge of an affair yourself.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

S
S
Why was he UN-reconciled with his wife?

I suspect that the ending of your wife's affair has nothing to do with the loss of brain chemistry. What probably happened is that his wife found out and threw him out. He dumped your wife because he has no intention of being with her and he wants to get back with his wife. He was a cake-eater and your wife fell for that.

Anyway, contact OMW to find out what she knows. Make sure that you do not leave messages on a phone, because these can easily be intercepted - and so can email. Try and speak to this woman on the phone, or visit her house.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I don't have a name and she's definitely not going to give it to me. My heart goes out to her and her kids, but the last thing I feel like doing is more snooping again and learning about the POS that got his jollies with my W for 6 months. I don't need that in my life right now

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
S
S
A few days before she revealed that to me, after she emphatically said she wanted a D after months of contemplation, and after I became at peace with our situation, I talked to a girl who recently got out of a longtime R with a BF who wouldn't marry her. It's my sister's best friend. Me, my sister, BIL and her went out and had a bunch of fun last Friday night. Nothing physical or even really emotional happened, we just hung out at a bar and all danced. I could sense interest from her, and I definitely have interest for her. I know that it wasn't WW's personality that caused our M to fail, but this other girl has lots of qualities that WW doesn't have, which makes me wonder what it would be like to be with her. She is fun-loving, exciting, adventurous. WW has lots of great qualities but those aren't part of them. But they are part of my personality. I would always want to dance at a wedding, or go somewhere adventurous and outdoors for our vacations. WW would rather sit down with a glass of wine at a wedding, or go on a cruise or to a luxury hotel for our vacations. I was okay with those choices, but I would be thrilled to be with a woman who wanted to do the things that I also really wanted to do. I know I'm not ready to start a new serious R, but I saw what kind of potential there is out there. I was really excited about the future, and I was at peace letting WW go. I didn't ask out this other girl yet, but we did make plans to go skiing (as friends, with a group) in the next couple of weeks. It's not really just this specific girl that has me excited about a new future, just the idea that I could find happiness again, and possibly with someone that it wouldn't be as much of a struggle to find common ground with.

So now I'm questioning if I even want to go back to the M with WW. I do believe we could rebuild to something better than we ever had. I believe in the MB principles, because they perfectly explain how we fell apart. I will eventually forgive WW for the A, because I believe very deeply in forgiveness. My personal belief, though, is that our vows are broken, and for better or worse no longer applies. So I have to decide if I want to take a leap of faith with WW and spend more years working with her (although it would be real M work, which we've never done), or take a leap of faith into the great unknown outside of my M, which I'm no longer afraid of but excited about.
Your interest in this other woman, how ever early the stage it has reached, is affecting your judgement about reconciling your marriage.

You need to stay away from dates, even in group situations, until your divorce is finalised, should it ever get to that stage. You are looking forward to your single life, where you can have your daughter stay with you a few nights a week, and the rest of the time you can date and have relationships that you did not have before you married this woman when you were both so young, and you were so inexperienced. The prospect of sowing your wild oats, and possibly marrying a new fun woman and having more children, is blinding you to how this divorce will affect your daughter, and how hard it will be to make a second marriage work.

Do you want some man, chosen by your unsound wife, to become your daughter's live-in stepfather? Have you any idea how unhappy she will be when she's older and being shunted between the two homes?

You have the absolute right to walk away from your marriage because of this affair. Just make the decision about whether to reconcile with a clear head, free of images of the attractive fun single women that you are looking forward to dating. Will your life as a divorced and re-married man, and your daughter's life with a step father - or possibly several - be better than being married to your wife could be?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Originally Posted by SugarCane
[I suspect that the ending of your wife's affair has nothing to do with the loss of brain chemistry. What probably happened is that his wife found out and threw him out. He dumped your wife because he has no intention of being with her and he wants to get back with his wife. He was a cake-eater and your wife fell for that.

Agree. The OM's wife probably investigated and busted her H. Most married men are not going to lose a marriage over a piece of side nookie. I would contact the OM's wife and compare notes. Regardless of what you decide to do, the affair should be exposed. The reason is because your W and the OM may resume their affair. If everyone knows, they are less likely to do that.

You are fully within your rights to end your marriage over the affair. No one would fault you if you made that choice. I will just say that it is so frustrating when people come here and don't listen to our advice to dig out the affair. We can usually kill the affair when it is brought out into the open. But when they are allowed to linger on for months, it is much harder to recover because the wayward mind becomes very entrenched. It is a nightmare to go through a divorce with a wayward mind.

Exposure 101

S
S
but the last thing I feel like doing is more snooping again and learning about the POS that got his jollies with my W for 6 months. I don't need that in my life right now
Oh dear me, more DB nonsense.

You can't protect yourself, and your daughter, from this interloper in your marriage if you don't even know who he is, and if you do not take steps to make sure he stays away from your wife.

Are you saying that you are sure you want nothing more to do with your wife, and so who she was/is involved with is of no interest to you? She can marry him, if his wife does not take him back?

Are you THAT sure that you are done with this marriage? You are that sure after only...how many days is it since you found out about the affair?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
I don't have a name and she's definitely not going to give it to me. My heart goes out to her and her kids, but the last thing I feel like doing is more snooping again and learning about the POS that got his jollies with my W for 6 months. I don't need that in my life right now

Bad idea. You need to find out who it is and bring this out into the open. Do you want this man to become your children's step daddy? Find out who it is, make contact with his wife and keep this POS out of your lives. He may very well decide to show up for some more free nookie and ingratiate himself into your wife and children's lives.

Exposure 101

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Another thing is get D before you start getting involved with anyone. You are walking on thin ice contemplating another woman. You're on the verge of an affair yourself.
I'm not on the verge of an A. I am not swept up with emotions for that girl, and I don't intend to do anything with anyone unless I'm D'd. That said, my personal belief is that our M is already over. Our vows are broken. Our finances are split. I'm living in my mom's basement because I had to sell the house. All that is left is a computer file in some government server.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M

How do you explain that you were not able to find this out before your wife told you? Did you actually snoop?

Exposure 101

S
S
It must be the guy you originally suspected. Do you know his name? Can you find out if his marriage has broken down?

If it really isn't him, you can find out the name if he is on her course. There must be some easy way of doing so.

Remind me where she went to live when she left you with the house, please.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
I'm not on the verge of an A. I am not swept up with emotions for that girl,
I'm sorry to contradict, but you sounded pretty emotionally swept up in the post you made about her.

You are completely overwhelmed with emotions right now because of having just discovered the affair, and having realised how much of a lie you have been living for these months. Your wife pushed you into selling the house and losing your daughter for half of the rest of her childhood, and all the time you were trying to understand her she was lying to you and having sex with some scumbag.

You need to give yourself time to make rational decisions about the future.

Have you read the latest edition of Surviving an Affair? You must do so immediately. You say your wife is a textbook WW. Sue in the book was a textbook WW, and her marriage recovered beyond both her and her husband's expectations. Textbook WWs tend to have textbook affair crashes and then textbook realisations that their marriages are the best place for them to be.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L

Bad idea. You need to find out who it is and bring this out into the open. Do you want this man to become your children's step daddy? Find out who it is, make contact with his wife and keep this POS out of your lives. He may very well decide to show up for some more free nookie and ingratiate himself into your wife and children's lives.
If I knew anything about him, I would contact her. I know NOTHING about him, other than he goes to an MBA program that has about 400 other guys exactly like him in it.

I'm done trying to control her. If she wants to marry a fellow adulterer, that's her decision. I am going to be the best dad I can be when I have my daughter.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by SugarCane
I'm not on the verge of an A. I am not swept up with emotions for that girl,
I'm sorry to contradict, but you sounded pretty emotionally swept up in the post you made about her.

You are completely overwhelmed with emotions right now because of having just discovered the affair, and having realised how much of a lie you have been living for these months. Your wife pushed you into selling the house and losing your daughter for half of the rest of her childhood, and all the time you were trying to understand her she was lying to you and having sex with some scumbag.

You need to give yourself time to make rational decisions about the future.

Have you read the latest edition of Surviving an Affair? You must do so immediately. You say your wife is a textbook WW. Sue in the book was a textbook WW, and her marriage recovered beyond both her and her husband's expectations. Textbook WWs tend to have textbook affair crashes and then textbook realisations that their marriages are the best place for them to be.
I was swept up for one night with her. Nothing happened, I haven't spoke with her since. If I get a D I will ask her out, eventually, if she's not with someone by then.

You can say that again about my emotions. The suggestion to conact OM's BW caused me to text WW, which led to a disastrous conversation, ending with threatening each other with lawyers.

No I haven't read SAA. What happens when the BS moves on from the M before the WS has their epiphany?

Last edited by Lou519; 01/03/15 10:00 PM.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
[]If I knew anything about him, I would contact her. I know NOTHING about him, other than he goes to an MBA program that has about 400 other guys exactly like him in it.

I'm done trying to control her. If she wants to marry a fellow adulterer, that's her decision. I am going to be the best dad I can be when I have my daughter.

Well, if you don't find out who it is and run him off, you leave the door wide open for him to stay in your wife and daughters lives. Don't you have any inclination to protect your daughter? Is this the kind of creep you want hanging around your child? Even a halfwit can figure out who his spouse is having an affair with. This can't be that difficult.

Exposure 101

M
M
You have had months of snooping to find out who this is. Surely you have some information?

Exposure 101

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L

How do you explain that you were not able to find this out before your wife told you? Did you actually snoop?
I snooped and snooped and snooped. I checked phone records. I tracked her phone. She caught on to everything. I paid $2.5K for a ***** PI who didn't find anything. He probably just took my money and laughed. I lost $2.5K due to the pressures here. And what good would that info have done me?

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
You have had months of snooping to find out who this is. Surely you have some information?
I stopped snooping months ago so I could move on with my life. I couldn't sleep or eat thinking about a possible A. And what was I supposed to do, follow the PI around making sure he was doing his job? He showed me mundane information about her. Either he sucks as a PI or he just took random photos and pretended to investigate.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
God, I came here for support during the biggest crisis of my life and I get people telling me to snoop again.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I don't want to know anything about the Dbag

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm sorry she married him, just like I'm sorry I married WW

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I don't even want to be M to her at this point. So whether she gets back together with him or not is out of my control. It only hurts me to think about it

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
I stopped snooping months ago so I could move on with my life. I couldn't sleep or eat thinking about a possible A. And what was I supposed to do, follow the PI around making sure he was doing his job? He showed me mundane information about her. Either he sucks as a PI or he just took random photos and pretended to investigate.

You were supposed to find out who she was having the affair with, which is typically very easy to do. Most waywards are very sloppy so it doesn't take that long. There are many ways to find out. It usually takes about 2 days to get the evidence with a little effort. Have you gone through old phone bills? Hacked into her email account? Or used any of the numerous resources mentioned over on the Operation Investigate forum?

Exposure 101

M
M
So whether she gets back together with him or not is out of my control. It only hurts me to think about it

It will hurt you even more if he becomes the step daddy of your child because you did nothing to run him off. You can have a major impact on the affair if you will just do the footwork. It is not hard at all to run off a cowardly OM. Even the wimpiest betrayed husband can do that.

Exposure 101

M
M
God, I came here for support during the biggest crisis of my life and I get people telling me to snoop again.

Helping you stick your head in the sand while a creep destroys your family is not "support." Your idea of "support" is to stick your head in the sand and let things happen to you. It is the path of the conflict avoider.

Exposure 101

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
wtf, Melody. I was supposed to find out who she was having an A with? I spend $2.5K trying to do that.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L

Helping you stick your head in the sand while a creep destroys your family is not "support." Your idea of "support" is to stick your head in the sand and let things happen to you. It is the path of the conflict avoider.
My family is already destroyed.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
wtf, Melody. I was supposed to find out who she was having an A with? I spend $2.5K trying to do that.

It doesn't sound like you tried too hard. She was having an affair the entire time.

Exposure 101

M
M

And the OM can keep inflicting harm on you and your family if you don't run him off.

Exposure 101

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Melody, give me a ***** break. I tried on my own and failed. She moved out of the house, changed all of her passwords. I had zero access to anything at that point. So I did the ONLY other thing that was suggested here, drop a months ***** salary on a PI, which turned up nothing. He was probably a crook. How the ****** was I supposed to know that? There aren't exactly BBB ratings for sleezy PI's.

OM is already gone! The A is over! Did you miss that part? And I believe her because she told me the date that he broke up with her. That was the day we closed on our house and she was a WRECK at the closing. She treated me and the realtor like crap. She behaved just like someone who was just dumped would behave.

I'm not going to spend any energy on preventing a second A with the same man from popping up.

Why is it that snooping is almost never mentioned on the radio show or in the books, yet here that is all anyone talks about? Want to be a good husband? SNOOP CONSTANTLY

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L

And the OM can keep inflicting harm on you and your family if you don't run him off.
He can't harm me any more than he already has. I'm not going to continue to be a victim if they get back together. When I first posted here, I didn't see any breath of life outside of my M with WW. I've seen it now. I'm not afraid. WW can do whatever she wants. That would be sick for me to try to control her decisions. I am going to be the best dad I can possibly be. And I don't believe my W is a bad person at heart, and she is going to do her best for D2, as well. If she marries a fellow adulterer, I can only pray that he is also a good man who got caught up in a bad situation. Dr Harley clearly explains that anyone can get caught in an A, with the wrong situation. Don't try to make me feel like less of a man because I'm not trying to control my WW.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
OM is already gone! The A is over! Did you miss that part? And I believe her because she told me the date that he broke up with her. That was the day we closed on our house and she was a WRECK at the closing. She treated me and the realtor like crap. She behaved just like someone who was just dumped would behave.

What you don't understand [because you don't listen] is that affairs are typically on again, off again and as long as the affair is kept secret, they are free to resume it.

I'm not going to spend any energy on preventing a second A with the same man from popping up.

It is your prerogative to stick your head in the sand. It is your life after all.

Why is it that snooping is almost never mentioned on the radio show or in the books, yet here that is all anyone talks about? Want to be a good husband? SNOOP CONSTANTLY

Why is it that you don't seem to know that the idea to snoop to get the intel on the affair COMES FROM DR. HARLEY? Apparently, you don't listen to his radio show, read his forum or his books or articles.

Snooping is always the first step when there is suspicion of an affair. That is just simple common sense. You obviously can't save your marriage if you don't have the facts.

Can't imagine why any husband and father would want to PROTECT an affair especially when it affects his children.

Exposure 101

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Wow you really are trying to make me feel like a piece of [censored], aren't you?

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I know that exposure comes from him. But snooping and exposure is like 1% of his content and 99% of yours

Last edited by Lou519; 01/03/15 10:41 PM.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
IF she tries to reconcile with me, I will stipulate that I know who he is so that I can verify there is no contact. IF we get a divorce, why should I even care what she does then?

Oh, and IF she tries to reconcile, right now I don't think I would want to, anyway. Which puts me in the post-M standpoint of "none of my business". I can only be the best dad I can be. It is sick that you think I should try to control her any further

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
[

But snooping and exposure is like 1% of his content and 99% of yours

You clearly don't listen to Dr Harley's radio show or read his material if you believe that. These are just a few that I found very quickly. He talks about it all the time on the radio show and proudly refers people to his snooping forum, Operation Investigate.

Uncertainty regarding the affair Many of the cases I've witnessed involve suspected affairs with no firm proof. In those situations, I do not recommend exposure. Instead of immediate exposure, I suggest gathering evidence that would convince a jury that an affair has taken place. In some cases I suggest hiring an investigator to gather that evidence. Once there is certainty regarding the affair, I then recommend immediate exposure.

Affairs are not usually difficult to prove. That's because the affair is an addiction, and addicts are notoriously sloppy in covering their tracks. They also become progressively sloppy as the affair develops. They try to hide it, and are reasonably successful early in a relationship. But eventually they leave text messages, email, and telephone records in plain sight for anyone to observe. If a suspecting spouse is patient, it doesn't take too long or require too much effort, to prove that an affair is taking place.
here

"How would you feel if your spouse were to check your email to see who you've been contacting, and what you've been saying? Or, to check your internet history to determine the internet sites you've been visiting? Or, to look over your texting history and cell phone records?

If you'd be okay with that, let's step it up a notch. How would you feel if your spouse were to install, without your knowledge, a GPS unit on your car to see where you've been? Or, a phone recorder on your cell phone or landline to hear what you're saying? Or, a keylogger program on your computer to know exactly what you're doing on your computer? Or, hire a private investigator to secretly follow you around and make video recordings of your activities?

How would you feel if your spouse were to check your email to see who you've been contacting, and what you've been saying? Or, to check your internet history to determine the internet sites you've been visiting? Or, to look over your texting history and cell phone records?

And yet, I recommend all of the above. So, how can I justify this advice when it goes against the grain of most spouses?

So snooping is reasonable, especially when there has been evidence of a budding romantic relationship outside of marriage. If Joyce were to check up on me without my knowing about it, it would probably be based on certain facts that would have aroused her curiosity. But knowing now what I know about the devastating effects of unfaithfulness, I'd encourage, not discourage, her -- unless I was really up to something I didn't want her to know about.
Snooping: Is it wrong? Or, is it the right thing to do in marriage?

"I am a firm believer in letting each spouse do as much snooping around as they want. Nothing should be kept secret in marriage, and no questions should be left unanswered. If a spouse objects to such scrutiny, what might he or she be hiding?
here

Exposure 101

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm done with this place. I love Dr. Harley, his books and his radio program. This message board has done nothing but cause me further pain. There's a reason I stopped posting here months ago. I thought I'd come here and tell people they were right, and you drove me to the worst interaction I've ever had with WW. You also insult me as a man, husband and father. Great work!

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
Oh, and IF she tries to reconcile, right now I don't think I would want to, anyway. Which puts me in the post-M standpoint of "none of my business". I can only be the best dad I can be. It is sick that you think I should try to control her any further

This OM has wrecked your marriage and your child's family and you say it's "none of my business?? That is NUTS. It is nuts that you stick your head in the sand when it comes to pertinent facts about your own life. This is vital information about your own life that has been wrongly withheld from you. Isn't your marriage and your child's life "your business?"

Exposure 101

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I guess you missed the critical bit of info: Post-M. a.k.a. divorced. When we're divorced, as much as I hate it, WW has 100% control of who D2's stepdad is.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
I guess you missed the critical bit of info: Post-M. a.k.a. divorced. When we're divorced, as much as I hate it, WW has 100% control of who D2's stepdad is.

But you are not divorced.

Exposure 101

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L

But you are not divorced.
Hence the word "IF"

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Listen, right now we are in limbo, waiting to see what each of us wants to do. One of two things will happen:

- Attempt at reconciliation. I will demand his name and everything else before I do that. I will not agree to reconcile if she does not agree to provide that.

- Divorce. After that, she can do whatever she wants.

Neither scenario requires me to do more snooping NOW.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
Listen, right now we are in limbo, waiting to see what each of us wants to do. One of two things will happen:

- Attempt at reconciliation. I will demand his name and everything else before I do that. I will not agree to reconcile if she does not agree to provide that.

- Divorce. After that, she can do whatever she wants.

Neither scenario requires me to do more snooping NOW.

You don't have to do anything. You have free will and are completely free to continue to stick your head in the sand. It is your life after all and is no sweat to me.

Exposure 101

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'll go enjoy my sand, I guess. You win, Melody. 81,800 posts later, you sure know how to win an argument.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
I'll go enjoy my sand, I guess. You win, Melody. 81,800 posts later, you sure know how to win an argument.

Best of luck!

Exposure 101

M
M
Lou,

Sorry to hear about your week. I know you must be very devastated.

You deserved/deserve better.

You will make it.

In a few weeks or a full month your wife will complete withdrawal and MAY be open to considering reconciliation. I know you must be in shock right now getting your suspicions confirmed so it's a bit of an emotional time to decide one way or another. You have every right to quit on your marriage. You've got your get out of your marriage free card but, unfortunately, when you/we have children it's just not that easy.

Reconciling MAY be the best for your child. If you can do it right.

Please stick around as you process these decisions.

Godspeed,

Mr. W

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
M
M
Oh,

I see some discussion of some porn problems on your thread among the idiots.

You know wonka is a man-hating lesbian who has no idea how to save a biblical marriage, right? Lesbians hate exposure and partake in a culture of secrets and man-hating so don't let anything she says bother you. She's not an expert at anything but witchcraft.

I haven't read everything but I am aware that DB pushes a betrayed husband to own and own and own WAY more than they should. Your wife's complaints about pornography were likely just rationalization and justifications for her now revealed affair. They weren't legitimate complaints to that extreme. She merely used it as subterfuge to keep you feeling bad and her covering up her shame and guilt as she lied her butt of to you and cheated with OM.

It makes sense OM is married with kids. The affair was likely kept very secretive and harder to catch as he was extra careful not to get busted. You really needed to put a VAR in her car to catch her talking on the cell phone.

I'm not minimizing porn problems but it doesn't excuse your wife's adultery nor the fact you have a right to divorce her if you choose.

Will you PLEASE quit DB. It truly sucks and they destroy marriages. Their advice to men, in particular, really sucks.

Mr. W

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm good, actually, MrW. I am perfectly comfortable with what I've owned in our M, including porn. I never once hinted that she was justified in walking away from our M. And I don't care what the sexual orientation of someone is. I have the ability to judge thoughts and advice on the merits of the thoughts and advice, so I stick with that.

I thank God every day for DB. It allowed me to gain perspective, to reclaim my life. Also, there is not a single word in any DB book that is specific to men, and doesn't apply to women. The women on those forums get the same advice as the men: Focus on yourself while your spouse has abandoned the M.

And I have no interest in snooping any further. Thanks for the (same old) advice. My marriage is dead, completely. If we're going to reconcile, it's going to be a brand new M, and it will have to start with both of us wanting it. I'm not going to snoop my way back into her heart. The A is over. Like I said, if we both agree to reconcile, it will be with the stipulation that she opens up everything to me, including the identity of OM. Until then, what is the point of snooping?

I can see that snooping is the only advice I'm getting here, so I'm done here. I love Dr. Harley and all of his work. I will read SAA, I will re-read HNHN, HWSW, LB. My next M (with WW or a new woman) will be using MB principles.

Last edited by Lou519; 01/04/15 12:48 AM.

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
I didn't say anything about snooping (other than I wish it was successful months ago and maybe that you'd have tried other methods months ago)

I was just being supportive, I thought.

Last edited by MrWondering; 01/04/15 01:21 AM.

M
M
I thank God every day for DB. I

I assure you. God isn't there.

Sometimes it's nice to have people patting you on the back while you take a softer less direct more enabling path towards addressing the most significant UNKNOWN problem of adultery in your marriage. However, those soothsayers didn't do you any favors advising and encouraging you to fix and work on yourself while ignoring your wife and not snooping on her.

Your wife was having a secret affair with a married man with children who had absolutely no desire to leave his wife. He drew out the affair with your wife as long as he possibly could. Exposure to his wife would have IMMEDIATELY ended the affair last summer. If only DB encouraged you to snoop harder as we did, perhaps you would have found a more successful method at that time. IF your PI had busted her that would have been timely; but, then what....MB would have told you to expose to OM's wife immediately and DB would have told you not to expose at all. In fact, exposure advice is forbidden on that forum completely. Wonka and all those marriage destroyers would have strongly and, in concert, tried to talk you into NOT exposing anything to anyone. If not for MB, even if you or your PI had discovered the affair your opportunity to bust up the affair would have gone by the wayside due to poor internet advice.

So as you leave here discouraged, please be careful and exercise discernment. The title of this thread says it all....we WERE right and we remain right. We help save more marriages per week then DB "saves" all year. "Standing" is nothing but waiting around hoping your wife strolls back into your life. Women don't respect that. They want a man that cherishes them and is willing to fight for them not one sitting around navel gazing and falling for their lies indefinitely. Deep down at some level your wife's takes home message regarding the fact you failed to catch her cheating is that you apparently didn't care enough to catch her. It sucks. I know. I've been there and I've been here AND saved my marriage to boot.

Come back. We are a forgiving bunch. If you are truly done. We/I respect that. It's your choice. But we remain willing to help, either way, nonetheless.

M
M
I'm not going to snoop my way back into her heart. The A is over. Like I said, if we both agree to reconcile, it will be with the stipulation that she opens up everything to me, including the identity of OM. Until then, what is the point of snooping?

I agree for the most part. But either way, nothing has to be done today or this week.

I do think it would be nice if you confirmed (without involving your wife) that the OM's wife actually knows about the affair. He may have just lied to your wife when things got a bit too hot (her actually pushing him to file a divorce and get on with being with her 100% of the time including the holiday). He told her it was over, his wife knows and he's gonna work on his marriage when, in fact, his wife doesn't know anything and he was hoping that by telling her that your wife wouldn't be vindictive (like many dumped WW's) and expose him herself. Insuring his wife knows would be a kind gesture, protect her emotional and physical health and, perhaps, guarantee once and for all that the guy never comes sniffing around your wife for some action whether you reconcile or not.

Anyway, you don't sound receptive today to any of this so sorry if I'm just reiterating things.

You mentioned that she got dumped about 3 weeks ago. She might actually be coming out of withdrawal about now and open to discussion soon. Lots of roller coaster days. She's likely to be all over the place emotionally.

Godspeed,
Mr. W

M
M
Also, there is not a single word in any DB book that is specific to men, and doesn't apply to women. The women on those forums get the same advice as the men: Focus on yourself while your spouse has abandoned the M.

Exactly and this is one of the biggest reasons DB fails to help men save their marriages. It's a female crafted plan based upon Dr. Harley's work, that sort of works for women. The plan is like a soft MB plan for women. Recall that MB only encourages women to Plan A for 3 or 4 weeks (get the exposure done with ), send a Plan B letter offering a route back to the marriage and then go VERY dark and focus on yourself. Conversely and VERY much unlike DB, men are encouraged to Plan A for months. Pretty much for as long as they are able. Plan A included snooping, strategizing and aggressively opposing and trying to bust up the affair while also minimizing/eliminating (other) love busters, confronting the OM and the wayward spouse while also meeting as many needs as the wayward will allow to be met. It's different because men and women are different. Our brains our different. We function differently.

Anyway. I just read through your other thread and it sounds incredibly surreal. Your thoughts, feelings and reactions to getting some of the worst news of your life are normal. I would like to mention your indications of relief at getting the news you've suspected for so long is one of the greatest benefits of successful snooping. Hardly anyone regrets it after they've do it and I see no logical reason whatsoever for such a blanket opposition to any snooping whatsoever. Now that you actually know you are finally free to make honest decisions and choices about your life with all the facts and evidence before you. Prior to that, you were living your wife's lie. Not a fun or healthy place to be, right? You seem like a fairly nice guy and I'm willing to bet you give your marriage another shot.

Last thing...I hope....

Your wife is a admiration junkie. She likely missed some important childhood development most likely during the period when her dad cheated on her mom, left the family and married his mistress. Her betrayed mom probably parentified her while looking to your wife for emotional support. Maybe there are other issues. Regardless, she needs to grow up, set aside childish notions and you would smart to send her to MB versus anywhere else. My wife posted here for years and it's made all the difference. Like you, I didn't think she'd do the work. She was immature (as was I) and not really up for owning her behavior (neither was I). You could read her stuff if you want. Her original posting name was something like WWWondering, I think. Instead of making demands and trying to get her on board yourself (and having a text fight with her) just tell her you'd like to see her post 100 posts on MB and then you'll talk. You are just as confused as her so maybe others who have gone before you can help. You could even start posting together under a new name if you want. Just ask the mods for permission so you don't violate some dual identity rules or anything.

S
S
Wait a minute: you do know who he is. You've even spoken to him.

Like I said before, I snooped and read through a month and a half of texts and while they are beyond the purely professional level, there was really nothing that surprised me. I confirmed that none had been deleted by checking them against her phone records. Also, I confronted the other man about the excessive texting. The texts (at least on the phone that I know about) have slowed down significantly, but not completely (like I would expect if she had a "cheat" phone). Her attitude towards me has improved somewhat since that time (about 2 weeks ago). She is not quite as distant. She stopped locking me out of the bedroom.
It's this same man, and she is lying when she says it isn't.

It's up to you whether you follow our advice, but if you do you can rebuild this marriage.

The title of this thread is "you were right", and that is correct. You resisted our advice when we were right before, and you failed to bust up this affair when you could have done so and stopped your wife from moving out and making you sell the house. You could have fended off the situation you're now in, where you only see your daughter for less than half the time. We were right then and we are still right; you need to expose this affair to his wife and run off this dirtbag.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Originally Posted by Lou on DB today
I agree. I was just angry and thought about her. To be honest, I visted "another" Internet forum where I hadn't posted in a while. I forgot why I stopped posting there. I shared the news and they got me all riled up about OM's W. I initially said that my heart went out to her, but I was in no place to try to go that route, especially since I know nothing about OM. I don't want to learn anything about him. But I kept arguing with them and I eventually got mad enough to text WAW about it. That convo went downhill. Simultaneous to that, the other people were pretty much insulting my manhood and fatherhood for not planting bugs in WAW's car to find out who OM is. I'm never going back there

To be clear, NOBODY HERE told you to text your wife and have you insist on getting the OM's name and information such that you could disclose and expose to his wife. You reacted and overreacted all on your own without thinking clearly or rationally about how to go about things.

I also never challenged or disrespected your manhood in any way when I posted how unfortunate it was that you didn't plant a VAR in your wife's care last June. I was merely pointing out that if you had, you likely would have broken up the affair quickly last summer, had a better chance to save your marriage while you still fully cared about your wife. You also would not have had to endure the last 7-9 months of lies. You'd have been much better off emotionally and physically today had you discovered the truth about your life.

Not coming back here is fine. DB can help guide you through the divorce process. It's what they are exceptionally experienced at.

We all do the best we can. No better, no worse. But one can strive to do better next time especially when using hindsight as a tool. Hindsight should tell you that MB knows what they are doing and saying and you made a mistake not listening to us the last 9 months or so. If and when you want real productive successful marriage saving advice in the coming weeks, months, years....I'll leave the light on for you.

Mr. Wondering

Last edited by MrWondering; 01/04/15 02:42 PM.

S
S
Originally Posted by Lou519 on DB today
Yes, I do have an impulse control problem. Porn, angry outbursts (though rare), pursuit during DB, bad food choices. Yep

Turning to a bad support group triggered it, though
You'd better learn how to get that impulse control problem solved before you pursue any other relationships. You'd also benefit from learning NOT to blame others for your stupid behaviour. Nobody made you send those angry texts last night but you.

We in this "bad support group" at MB have been trying to get you to think strategically and act rationally, with a plan, since you got here. We tried to get you to bust up the affair so you wouldn't be getting divorced. Dr Harley warned you that if you sold your house the marriage would effectively be over. You didn't listen to our "bad support group" advice, though, and now here you are.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Originally Posted by Lou on DB 2/27/15
WAW is meeting with a L to start the D process tomorrow. We are still amicable. Unless she throws a curveball, there will be no arguing over assets or D2. We've already split what little assets we had, and we both agree to 50/50 custody with a flexible schedule on which we plan and agree ourselves. Hopefully there are no surprises. I'm woefully uninformed about this process, so I'm going to do some reading. I'm in KY, in case anyone has some specific helpful info.
T 10 years
M 7 years
BD 6/3/14
S 7/26/14
PA June-Dec. '14
She filed 2/27/15

Just noticed this today...didn't take long.

As predicted, Lou's wife has apparently filed for divorce.

Guess the thread title says it all....YOU WERE ALL RIGHT X2

Should have utilized MB. No guarantees but he completely missed his best chance at saving his marriage and family.

His poor 2 year old child will suffer the consequences of Lou's lack of discernment and have to live with a wayward at least 50% of her life. I say "at least" because DB encourages adultery as a way to cope with betrayal so it's likely not long before Lou is on wayward train too and their child can then have 2 wayward parents.

M
M
Dr. Bill Harley:

"it's hard to save a marriage when you are an enabler....."

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by MrWondering
Not coming back here is fine. DB can help guide you through the divorce process. It's what they are exceptionally experienced at.

THIS is what I told Lou just a few posts ago. He's actually in the best place for divorce SUPPORT now.

I'll probably leave this alone now but before Lou or someone else comes back 6 months or a year from now saying "Oh, lou's wife dropped the divorce and they are recovering NOW" I want to say....MB would have got him to that position in 2014 and saved Lou and his daughter months....even years of agony.

Divorce itself isn't "failure" on MB....but not standing up adultery and enabling continued adultery by your wife IS failure. It's like you didn't even try. You were paralyzed by fear when you took the advice of a bunch of wayward and wayward enablers on another forum over Dr. Harley's advice.

Originally Posted by markos 6/26/2014
Originally Posted by Lou519 6/26/2014

So she will keep you around to take care of her until she finishes her high paying degree and then she can take off for greener pastures with her MBA contacts. Sweet deal for her.

Marcos called this. She finished school in December, told Lou that about her affair and that OM dumped her the end of December and now she's ready to move on with her career and degree without LOU. Now the stay at home dad is graciously being given 50% custody.

A
A
I remember this.

Lou was perfectly happy being confrontational to posters here because there were no consequences.

He couldn't make a stand to WW though. He was unwilling to face real consequences of standing up against her.

Men, take heed - this is exactly what happens when you act cowardly. NO family can be saved when you are too scared to stand up for it. Women do not respect cowards - ever.

Look at wifedivorcings thread to see what happens when a man finds his balls and stands up for the family.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 981 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation