Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hopefullyme #2812548 07/31/14 12:24 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by Hopefullyme
I'm back....sorry for my absence but I have been packing...yup PACKING! We MOVE TOMORROW!

We went to 3 AA meetings the first week and really enjoyed it. Sadly we have been too busy packing and cleaning and have not been able to attend sine...but we will! We were given the "Big Book" and we are reading it!

My WH and son left on a pre planned mini vacation so my daughter and I stayed behind to get things going around here. I am exhausted and stressed but excited too. We are all looking forward to a fresh, new, healthy beginning! Now I hope we can sell this house...and fast!

I have to get busy. Still a ton of stuff to do around here. More updates soon, I hope. Hugs!

This is just nonsense.
It's obvious that you aren't serious because you find time to drink alcohol but don't have time to attend meetings?

MrWondering #2812552 07/31/14 12:31 PM
M
M
I'm not sure if you read this so I'm posting it here for you. It's why you are being led to handle the alcohol issue FIRST and FOREMOST versus setting that issue to the side because you currently think the infidelity is the bigger issue. It's not.

What to Do with an Alcoholic Spouse
Letter #1

By Dr. Harley

Link to Letter re: alcoholic spouse

Introduction: Alcohol addiction is a clear example of what I call a Love Buster because it causes so much suffering in marriage. Besides being physically and emotionally harmful to alcoholics themselves, addiction is also harmful to those whose lives touch them. Addiction makes people insensitive to the feelings of those who care most for them, and they will stop at nothing to feed their addiction. I am witness to many people whose lives have been ruined because they married alcoholics.

Alcoholics commonly engage in their most painful habits while under the influence. Acts of infidelity are common. The fact that he or she is drunk at the time is no consolation to a grief-stricken spouse.

Women often suffer cruel physical and emotional abuse from their alcoholic husbands. Even when he is not overtly abusive, he's often disgusting in the way he talks and behaves when he's drunk.

Children of alcoholics, particularly girls, suffer greatly from the emotional turmoil of their childhood. Mental health clinics throughout America are aware of the high percentage of their female clients who have had alcoholic fathers. A survey conducted by an Iowa mental health clinic found that about 70 percent of the daughters of alcoholic fathers had been sexually molested at least once by their intoxicated fathers.

Wives of alcoholics usually know about their husbands' sexually abusive behavior toward their daughters and offer themselves as "bait" to prevent their abuse. The pain suffered by these women in the privacy of their bedrooms, during these frightening sexual encounters, is extraordinary.

Many of you who were raised by a parent who was addicted to alcohol can testify to the nightmare that it brought to your family.

One of the first things I do when couples see me for counseling is to evaluate them for drug and alcohol addiction. If I feel that either is addicted at the time, I refer the addicted spouse to a treatment program. The Love Buster, drug or alcohol addiction, will prevent them from resolving their marital conflicts because it controls them. It must be eliminated before marital therapy has any hope of being successful.

My job as a marriage counselor begins after successful treatment and sobriety. If the addicted spouse refuses treatment, then I direct the unaddicted spouse to Alanon or some other support group for spouses of alcoholics. Sometimes, I encourage an intervention.

That's what I learned to do after discovering that an alcoholic is so much in love with alcohol, that while in the state of addiction, there is no way for them to consider their spouse's feelings whenever they make decisions, a necessary condition for a great marriage. Alcohol always comes first, even when it is at the spouse's expense.

But even after sobriety is achieved, it's an uphill battle for the couple. The spouses of alcoholics are usually so relieved when treatment is successful that they often think their marital troubles are over. It's true, addiction makes it impossible to resolve marital conflicts. But sobriety itself doesn't solve them -- it simply makes them solvable. Once addiction is overcome, a couple is faced with the legions of other Love Busters that were ignored in the shadow of addiction or were created by addiction.

Some people wonder if they are really alcoholics. They may not go to bars, and they may not even get drunk very often. What is an alcoholic? My definition of an alcoholic is someone who cannot follow the Policy of Joint Agreement because of their craving for alcohol. If your drinking in any form bothers your spouse, and you cannot or will not give it up for his or her sake, I consider you an alcoholic because alcohol is more important to you than the feelings of your spouse.

This week, I am posting three letters from victims of addiction. Each one provides a different perspective on this marital problem that is very difficult to solve.

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
MelodyLane #2812649 08/01/14 04:13 AM
I
I
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by Hopefullyme
We have not stopped yet but we do not drink before a meeting! We have 2-3 beers a few nights a week...haven't been drunk or hungover in weeks.

Getting drunk is not the problem. DRINKING is the problem. One drink is too many because it just keeps the addiction triggered and eliminates any control you have. "2-3 beers" is a good thing to tell other people because it sounds so normal and cute to normal drinkers, but you and I both know its bull****. We always lie about how much we really do drink. Any self respecting alcoholic does not fool around with "2 or 3 beers" because that is a waste of alcohol.

See its funny you say that because that amount daily after work when you have a house move to do sounds like a LOT to me. I'm from the boozy northern English culture too! Even so, the cute downplayed explanation of 2/3 still sounds downright crazy to me. That's a decent chunk of change to spend on beer and I couldn't afford those calories every day either. Plus you wouldn't have time to drink it, much less buy it if you had unpacking to do.

It doesn't ring true and I doubt anyone in her life is fooled by the downplaying either.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

indiegirl #2812664 08/01/14 08:09 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by indiegirl
[I'm from the boozy northern English culture too! Even so, the cute downplayed explanation of 2/3 still sounds downright crazy to me.

Alcoholics always say they had "a couple of drinks" when asked how much they drank. You can ask a falling down drunk how much they drank and they will say the same thing. They say this because they think it sounds like normal drinking. But it really doesn't! grin

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2812666 08/01/14 08:28 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by indiegirl
[I'm from the boozy northern English culture too! Even so, the cute downplayed explanation of 2/3 still sounds downright crazy to me.

Alcoholics always say they had "a couple of drinks" when asked how much they drank. You can ask a falling down drunk how much they drank and they will say the same thing. They say this because they think it sounds like normal drinking. But it really doesn't! grin
When police pull over suspected intoxicated drivers, the "I just had a couple of beers" comment is completely cliche. It is code for "I am drunk".

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation