Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Originally Posted by AcrosstheUnivers
I exposed it to everyone and yet he didn't tell me the truth. Took him a year to finally come out with it.

That year probably did untold damage to you and to your chances of marital recovery. Dr. Harley recommends you give it three weeks! If he wasn't willing to take a polygraph on the subject after that time, you needed to go to Plan B to protect yourself.

Attempting recovery without the right conditions being met is like engaging in brutal exercise without stretching first. You are going to pull a muscle and damage something.

Did he change his phone number? No. or facebook or email.

He is not serious about recovery and you are going to hurt worse if you even try!

The pain though. It is just so overbearing.

Get out of there and into Plan B until he is actually serious.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
With our new living arrangements it would make it much easier on them though if we separated. They could see him every weekend or go down whenever they needed, instead of if I had left from here and he stayed here. Who knows, maybe God has put this move in our lives for a reason. Living apart is not good for our marriage now because of the affair. But he suggested it. He doesn't think it's going to be a problem. Maybe not for him.But it is a huge problem for me. I have to live with my parents now which is a huge stress on me. I have to live away from him after I've found out he had sex with another woman?! I just don't forsee this working out.

Your husband wants you to live away from him so he can continue to carry on with women. And your parents foot the bill for housing you.

Please use the Marriage Builders plans to save yourself from this before you end up in the hospital.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
A
OP Offline
A
nope. didn't know there was one

U
U
You need to *figure out a way* to have him do a poly, for starters. You have been trickle truthed into a huge bitter state of resentment, and you are right, you have NO way of knowing if the last bit of 'truth' was truth or just another tidbit of info to shut you up. Which he gave you because he was outed by your friend, NOT because he couldn't lie anymore....

Whether you get serious about recovery and recover your marriage, or move on into Plan D and personal recovery, finding out the full truth will at least fill in the puzzle for you.

U
U
Can you have a garage sale, since you are moving? Or find some things in the house to sell on Craig's List? To help pay for the poly.

S
S
The second time she broke into our house and woke him up with her hand down his pants.
What is this nonsense? Did he say this with a straight face?

Where were you, according to him, when she broke into your house and put her hands down his pants?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
A
OP Offline
A
I was in Wisconsin while this entire affair happened, taking care of my sick mother. He never gave me any indication that there was anything wrong with our marriage while I was gone. I believe she woke him up. He had pulled a double and does not wake up easily after that. I can have whole conversations with him that he doesn't remember. But yes, he could have stopped her at any time once he woke up, but he didn't he continued to have sex with her. All after he had told her it would never happen again and he was terrified his wife would find out and he'd lose his wife and kids. She spent the whole time telling him I would never find out and even if I did I would never leave him. She was right. i didn't leave. With both bits of information. I did take a week away this time to think and it was enough for him to put his resume out to another job and actually find another job several states away.

The only reason we are living apart is because we have not sold our house. We literally cannot afford to rent a house and have this house for sale. You are all right that it is not good for the marriage and will just be detrimental for us. I have no other solution though. Am I supposed to sell myself to make enough money for rent? That's about the only way we could come close to having enough rent money.

Yes, this last year has done a number on me. I don't think i will ever believe him again. I don't think I can ever believe that he actually loves me after having kept this secret from me for so long. He saw what it was doing to me, but kept hurting me anyway.

I am having a hard time believing that any man will ever want me. My own husband chose another woman over me. He then chose to hurt me for an entire year and a half afterwards. I'm not an independent person. I married him right out of high school. Went from living off mom and dad to living off him. I have been a stay at home mom. I believe those who can just up and make the decision to stand on their own 2 feet and ask for a divorce are those who have worked full time and are independents. I'm not that strong. It terrifies me. I'l have to rely on myself and I don't know how to do that.

I also feel as if no one could ever really love me. Yep i need counseling. I've been going, but it just isn't really helping. Maybe it's time to find a new counselor. But of course I couldn't afford that if I was on my own.

J
J
Your thread is full of excuses: excuses for your husbands adultery and excuses why you can't follow Dr. harley's program of recovery.
Can you please stop making these overly dramatic scenerios, such as the choice between prostitution for rent money vs. staying in your home?

Unless someone wants to buy our house for us? Or do you all want to chip in so we can pay the $30,000 difference after selling our house for lower than what we owe?

The only reason we are living apart is because we have not sold our house. We literally cannot afford to rent a house and have this house for sale. You are all right that it is not good for the marriage and will just be detrimental for us. I have no other solution though. Am I supposed to sell myself to make enough money for rent? That's about the only way we could come close to having enough rent money.

A
OP Offline
A
They're not excuses. They are real life problems. Can someone care to tell me how I can get around these issues? We have put our house on the market. But I don't see it selling due to how bad the market is here. Hopefully we can get a short sale, which will of course ruin our credit so we can't buy another house.

In the meantime we cannot afford to rent a house while we are still paying a mortgage on the house we have. We are lucky that we have somewhere to go, allbeit being 2 hours away from each other. I've said this is hard and I dont see how it's going to work out. I'm not making excuses there. But we can't all fit in my sisters apartment and he can't commute 2 hours each way every day. It isn't feasible or affordable. So what's the solution? Do You all think we should just claim bankruptcy? Quit paying our bills and let the bank take our house? Then once again we have destroyed our credit and can't purchase a new house for 10 years. How great of a life is that for our kids? How great will that immense stress be for our marriage?

A
OP Offline
A
oh and I'm not excusing his adultry anymore. he had sex with another woman. Period. There are no excuses for him. What he did was wrong and has hurt me more than I've ever been hurt in my life. I feel betrayed, stepped on, thrown aside, ugly, weak, pathetic, and unloved.

J
J
They're not excuses. They are real life problems. Can someone care to tell me how I can get around these issues? We have put our house on the market. But I don't see it selling due to how bad the market is here. Hopefully we can get a short sale, which will of course ruin our credit so we can't buy another house.

In the meantime we cannot afford to rent a house while we are still paying a mortgage on the house we have. We are lucky that we have somewhere to go, allbeit being 2 hours away from each other. I've said this is hard and I dont see how it's going to work out. I'm not making excuses there. But we can't all fit in my sisters apartment and he can't commute 2 hours each way every day. It isn't feasible or affordable. So what's the solution? Do You all think we should just claim bankruptcy? Quit paying our bills and let the bank take our house? Then once again we have destroyed our credit and can't purchase a new house for 10 years. How great of a life is that for our kids? How great will that immense stress be for our marriage?

Your marriage can survive hardships.
it cannot survive ongoing affairs and that is what you are choosing to avoid the financial hardships

J
J
The MB program of recovery is not a cafeteria-style plan where you pick and choose what you want to use.
It's all in or out.
Your methods will not lead to recovery.

U
U
Do You all think we should just claim bankruptcy? Quit paying our bills and let the bank take our house? Then once again we have destroyed our credit and can't purchase a new house for 10 years. How great of a life is that for our kids? How great will that immense stress be for our marriage?

These are the overly dramatic statements that Jedi was referring to. They are not helping your situation at all.

There are many people on these forums, from all socio economic backgrounds and from all over the world, who have *found a way* to problem solve these very same issues, to follow the MB program and recover their marriages. You see only black and white: black - living apart and white - complete and total financial ruin. There ARE options but you are not coming across as interested in finding them, just arguing why bad option 1 is better than bad option 2.

U
U
Unfortunately as I said moving is not an option. Period.

You are completely closing this option off. Why? You have OBSTA�LES to overcome, but that is different than saying it is 'not an option. period.' Are you in the USA? If so you are in a free country, where anything is an option, short from breaking the law.

So besides the fact that our house will not sell. He cannot find a job anywhere else.

Is this true? You later wrote that following the affair, he put his resume out and found another job. But now finding ANOTHER job is not an option. Why? What has changed to now make him unhirable when in recent past he wasn't?

We cannot rent out our house because again, we have no one to manage it and cannot afford to fly back and forth.

In our state there are many rental companies that will find renters for you and manage the rental process, and you don't need to be present for that. I have many friends who have done this, due to the poor housing market, and it has worked fine for them.

Especially if he takes another job, because no matter where we go, he will be taking a pay cut!

How do you know this? How do you know EVERY other option is making less than he is now? Have you looked at ALL the options?

And what about you, could you make up some lost income if needed?

So as I said, moving is not an option!!

Yes, it is. But you are not looking for solutions to the obstacles.

just wanted to hear that maybe there is some way that I can find a way out of this depression without moving. That will cause an even deeper depression. I refuse to take medication. It doesn't help much and doesn't take care of the problem.

Again, you are stubbornly avoiding possible solutions, and just finding reasons why things that have worked for many other people are 'not an option' for you.

No we have not done a poly. Even if it comes up that he's lying he'll just deny it! That's who he is. Plus I don't have the $600 it costs. I'm not made of money. I literally don't have it. I had to get a job because they cut his hours! My job supplements our bills. We have even less now than we did a few months ago. This is REAL life.

For some reason you seem to think that everyone else on this forum is not in real life, and does not also have to find ways to overcome obstacles to recover from an affair. That is simply not true.

If you continue to have this attitude that nothing is an option for you, that the MB plan for recovery is not an option, then you will continue to be depressed and not recovered. Its really that simple.

A
OP Offline
A
Unwritten, you were reading an old post. I have posted since then. Yes I was making excuses. I did not see him being able to get a job because he had been trying for almost a year to find one. We gave up. When in all actuality he wasn't even looking. As I said I am not making excuses. He had an affair. He was not willing to relocate us and most of those excuses came from him. This was a year ago.

I am fed up. With everything. I left and he seriously looked for a job and within a week he found one. So we are moving. We are doing what we can. We've already explored all of our options. Me getting a job will not make us able to rent an apartment or house or whatever.

I do no feel like I am getting much support in here. I am hurting and everyone is just telling me what I'm doing wrong. As if this is all my fault now when he is the one who had an affair.

J
J
You aren;t responsible for his adultery but everyone told you to move a year ago.

So, now you are moving but you will not be together.
This will not work.

L
L
Atu I understand your frustration. I have been in a similar situation. I believe the MB plan will work but sometimes we are not able to follow that plan to the letter for whatever reason. Be strong for yourself and your children. It is hard but you will be able to work through this. It just takes time.......lots of time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation