Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
L
L
Originally Posted by AverageGuy
Wow, MtMan, I really feel for you. I am not going to repeat everything that has already been posted here, but a couple of points:

(1) I really admire how strong you are and how dedicated you are to your wife and family. A lot of guys would throw her out a long time ago.

(2) It appears that the two of you have a very difficult time communicating. I've read dozens of her posts, and although her hurt sounds genuine, I was not too clear why she was upset with you. You've provided her with roof over her head, financial support, you are a good father to your kids. It sounds like she has a pretty sweet deal, yet she feels incredibly hurt.

(3) To solve that problem plenty of communication with her seem in order. We've found that's actually one of the benefits of the undivided attention -- my wife and I have plenty of time to discuss and go through any of our problems. Texts and e-mails are faster and more to the point, but to really understand what the spouse wants, spending time with her is tremendously helpful to us.

Most women want more than a "roof over her head, financial support, and a good father to her children," though. They also want a man who meets her intimate emotional needs, such as affection and conversation. They also want a man who doesn't hurt her with anger.

It doesn't matter how dedicated a man is to his family if he has angry outbursts at his wife. AO's are BIG love busters. If a spouse can't communicate respectfully without anger, then plenty of communication isn't going to help much.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
B
B
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
Wow, MtMan, I really feel for you. I am not going to repeat everything that has already been posted here, but a couple of points:

(1) I really admire how strong you are and how dedicated you are to your wife and family. A lot of guys would throw her out a long time ago.

(2) It appears that the two of you have a very difficult time communicating. I've read dozens of her posts, and although her hurt sounds genuine, I was not too clear why she was upset with you. You've provided her with roof over her head, financial support, you are a good father to your kids. It sounds like she has a pretty sweet deal, yet she feels incredibly hurt.

(3) To solve that problem plenty of communication with her seem in order. We've found that's actually one of the benefits of the undivided attention -- my wife and I have plenty of time to discuss and go through any of our problems. Texts and e-mails are faster and more to the point, but to really understand what the spouse wants, spending time with her is tremendously helpful to us.

Most women want more than a "roof over her head, financial support, and a good father to her children," though. They also want a man who meets her intimate emotional needs, such as affection and conversation. They also want a man who doesn't hurt her with anger.

It doesn't matter how dedicated a man is to his family if he has angry outbursts at his wife. AO's are BIG love busters. If a spouse can't communicate respectfully without anger, then plenty of communication isn't going to help much.
Agree. And Dr. Harley states, when there is anger that must first be eliminated and even advises separation until the anger is eliminated.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
[

(3) To solve that problem plenty of communication with her seem in order. We've found that's actually one of the benefits of the undivided attention -- my wife and I have plenty of time to discuss and go through any of our problems. Texts and e-mails are faster and more to the point, but to really understand what the spouse wants, spending time with her is tremendously helpful to us.[/color]

uhhh no. They are separated because of his angry outbursts. In which case, Dr Harley recommends communicating via email.

And since when is UA time used to discuss problems? That time is to be spent on fun dates, not on working on the marriage.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

It's very common for men to not understand what hurts women, so it's not surprising that this is difficult for him and you to grasp. Fortunately Marriage Builders is a program for teaching this information, and teaching how to eliminate the habits that hurt. We do understand here and can help him come to understand.

Hint: it's not because they have trouble communicating, and she doesn't have a "sweet deal." My wife had essentially the same deal from me, and it was anything but sweet.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2826554 10/31/14 08:44 AM
M
M
P.S., AverageGuy, it'll go a long way if you learn to validate people's complaints about their marriage instead of invalidating them like you did to this poster's wife. Her husband needs to learn how to take her complaints seriously, not be encouraged to invalidate his wife when she complains. That would be very disrespectful.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
S

This advice pretty much amounts to saying that she has nothing to complain about, that she should be grateful for sitting pretty in a materially comfortable marriage, and that she's lucky he hasn't kicked her out. It verges on telling him not to put up with her crap and telling her instead to be grateful for what she's got.

This is so far from Dr Harley's advice that it I wonder how it could have been posted on the Marriage Builders forum.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
A
A
Hey, MtMan, are you out there? Please let me know if you are interested in discussing your situation. I'll check back in about a week; if you haven't responded by then, I'll assume that you have found your answers elsewhere.

Me: 50. W: 50. Happily married since 1993. 3 kids.
P
P
AverageGuy, if you have already admitted you don't understand MtnMan's wife, why would you be the one to give him answers?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
MtnMan Offline OP
OP Offline
M

First off, you should not admire me. I am an emotional abuser and I have been very angry and disrespectful toward my wife. Like markos said about his past with his wife, my wife has had far from a sweet deal. Her top intimate emotional needs (intimate conversation and affection) have not been met for a decade AND she has been controlled, disrespected and suffered my rath through angry outbursts and disrespectful judgments. I have been completely uncaring. I am also very controlling in all aspects of my life, including how I "appear" on this forum. These are all issues that I'm working to resolve but I'm not there yet.

Not too long ago I thought like you that my wife should put up with my crap because I make money, do some house work and help with the kids. Unfortunately that is far from true. Thinking that way is a sure path to divorce. Trust me, I am separated and on a path toward divorce. It sucks and it's hard to keep fighting, but I know saving my marriage the right thing to do for my wife, me and my kids.

My issues are much bigger than not knowing how to communicate. I am working to remove the severe love busters and learning how to make even the smallest deposits in my wife's love bank. There is a lot of great advice on MB about intimate conversation, affection and the other intimate emotional needs. THIS is where I will next need the most help from this forum and I hope all the experts here will guide me in the right direction like they have done with my anger management issues.

When I save my marriage, then admire me. Until then, I have a hard road ahead and know MB is the right path.

Last edited by MtnMan; 11/02/14 12:07 AM.
MtnMan #2826679 11/02/14 01:09 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by MtnMan
First off, you should not admire me. I am an emotional abuser and I have been very angry and disrespectful toward my wife. Like markos said about his past with his wife, my wife has had far from a sweet deal. Her top intimate emotional needs (intimate conversation and affection) have not been met for a decade AND she has been controlled, disrespected and suffered my rath through angry outbursts and disrespectful judgments. I have been completely uncaring. I am also very controlling in all aspects of my life, including how I "appear" on this forum. These are all issues that I'm working to resolve but I'm not there yet.

Not too long ago I thought like you that my wife should put up with my crap because I make money, do some house work and help with the kids. Unfortunately that is far from true. Thinking that way is a sure path to divorce. Trust me, I am separated and on a path toward divorce. It sucks and it's hard to keep fighting, but I know saving my marriage the right thing to do for my wife, me and my kids.

My issues are much bigger than not knowing how to communicate. I am working to remove the severe love busters and learning how to make even the smallest deposits in my wife's love bank. There is a lot of great advice on MB about intimate conversation, affection and the other intimate emotional needs. THIS is where I will next need the most help from this forum and I hope all the experts here will guide me in the right direction like they have done with my anger management issues.

When I save my marriage, then admire me. Until then, I have a hard road ahead and know MB is the right path.

Thanks for your post, MtMan! It is good to see you back. Wish it could have been under better circumstances.

Firstly, congratulations on seeing the errors of your ways. From your wife's posts it is clear that you've been neglecting her needs for too long. In order to work on your errors, you first have to recognize them.

Secondly, it is good to hear that you have chosen MB as the right path. Dr. Harley's views on marriage are pretty genius. I am a strong follower of his.

(As an aside, my previous post is actually not as ignorant as it sounds. I agree 100% with everything that follow up posters (LongWayFromHome, BrainHurts, MelodyLane, Markos, and Sugarcane's first paragraph) mentioned. There was a reason for my posting, which I wont go into right now.)

Thirdly, it is great to know that you are working on your marriage. I would not discount communication as easily as you did. From your and her posts, it appears that if you could communicate with each other, really communicate, not just talk past each other, and understand each other, then many problems could be addressed easier. See http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3100_how.html . I don't know where you are currently with your marriage, but it is likely that the two of you still have much work to do to understand each other.

Fourthly, a question: how are you planning on fulfilling her ENs?

Me: 50. W: 50. Happily married since 1993. 3 kids.
M
M
MtnMan,
I'm 34 and have never been married, so maybe I'm not the best person to offer advice. But I have read everything you and your wife have posted and I think your relationship is very similar to one I had in the past with a boyfriend. So I can relate very much to your wife, and what I would want from my husband is to be SHOWN that he loves me. Did you start making love bank deposits such as sending her flowers, buying her little gifts, writing her a love letter, cleaning out her gutters etc? From her posts it seemed to me that that was what she was looking for from you- some gesture to show that you still love her and still want her. You can send her flowers every day and still give her space because that way you can show that you are thinking of her, and you still want to make your marriage work, but you don't need to talk to her and potentially subject her to anything that may trigger her. Just a suggestion.

M
M
Thirdly, it is great to know that you are working on your marriage. I would not discount communication as easily as you did. From your and her posts, it appears that if you could communicate with each other, really communicate, not just talk past each other, and understand each other, then many problems could be addressed easier. See http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3100_how.html .

AG, just so you know, Dr Harley believes that "focusing on communication" is why most counselors FAIL. He himself FAILED when he focused on this. If you read through the article you linked, you would see Dr Harley's comment about "communication":

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
By 1975, I had finally discovered why I and so many other marital therapists were having trouble saving marriages -- we did not understand what made a marriage work. We were all so preoccupied with what caused them to fail, that we overlooked what helped them succeed. Many marriage counselors, myself included, thought that a lack of communication was causing these marriages to fail. So my goal had been to teach these couples how to communicate, to stop fighting, and to resolve conflicts.

But when I asked couples why they had married in the first place, it wasn't because of great communication. It was because they were in love. And over the years, they had somehow lost their love for each other. In fact, some had even come to hate each other.

In other words, "communication" it not the problem, it is a RESULT of the problem. Couples who are in love have no problem "communicating" and neither did this couple. They already know how to communicate.

Problem solving is addressed in the program by resolving love busters and following the POJA and the 4 rules of good conversation.

So, your focus on "communication" is not where we start around here. We start with love busters and then move onto creating romantic love with the Basic Concepts.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
J
One cannot always expect a Mountain Man to understand the inner workings of the female mind and heart....
But one can always ask an Average Guy for an opinion and get an average male perspective.

M
MtnMan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
MelodyLane stated it way better than I could have about the communication and Dr. Harley's articles. W and I have done the "traditional" marriage counseling before, and the counselor taught us techniques for communication, such as facing each other, repeating back, asking follow up questions, etc etc. Obviously, it didn't work for us and that's why W found MB a couple years ago.

Regarding my plan for meeting W intimate emotional needs, I think that is a great question. Right now, I am doing my best to make any love bank deposits that I can. Some have been small, like getting her flowers and buying her coffee. I also took a day and a half off last week because she was very stressed about all the things she had on her plate with the kids. I helped her by running some errands, helping with the kids and doing some things around the house. I concentrated on showing her care and being a nice guy. It was actually a pretty good 3 days since I committed zero AOs and DJs. We had a few good conversations and I made it a point to show her verbal affection. I also made sure to ask for her feedback and ask "how do you feel..." about most things I was did. Overall, she was positive but leary of the progress. I know she still does not feel safe around me and she may not feel safe for a good long time. Coincidentally, on MB radio last week, there was a couple that talked about a W feeling safe around her husband, and it sounded very similar to our situation. He was very disrespectful in the past, and Dr Harley said he had to remove the love busters before she would feel safe around him, and once she started to feel safe, then more progress could be made with love bank deposits. It reaffirmed the advice I have been receiving about resolving my AO and DJ issues first.

I know it was only 3 days and it is not enough of a "plan" to continue meeting her needs, but it was progress and things are looking better. After going through coaching with SH, I know I need to create a plan to spend 15-20 hours of UA each week meeting intimate emotional needs. Can anybody share what they did to create a plan for EN? I could really use help about some specific things that worked for creating and executing your plan.

I want to make sure I change in a way that lasts this time. I can't afford anymore slip ups and I know it!

Last edited by MtnMan; 11/03/14 12:20 AM.
MtnMan #2826717 11/03/14 08:36 AM
M
M
That is great news, MtnMan! As you have realized, you can't afford one single love buster.

I know it was only 3 days and it is not enough of a "plan" to continue meeting her needs, but it was progress and things are looking better. After going through coaching with SH, I know I need to create a plan to spend 15-20 hours of UA each week meeting intimate emotional needs. Can anybody share what they did to create a plan for EN? I could really use help about some specific things that worked for creating and executing your plan.

I would first start by using the UA worksheet. You can download it free here. You need to get with your wife and plan out 4 - 4 hour DATES out of the house. Focus on meeting the top 4 intimate emotional needs of conversation, affection, recreational companionship and sexual fulfillment.

Why not send her the worksheet and ask her out on 4 dates for the week? Tell her you will need her help in deciding what to do and where to go. It might even help if you launched this with a fun weekend away from home to a place she loves. [no children!]

Exposure 101

P
P
Tell her you will need her help in deciding what to do and where to go.
Make suggestions, too. Things you think she would enjoy.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2826725 11/03/14 12:16 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by Prisca

And be prepared to be slapped down with a "No," and very likely disrespectful judgements. Be prepared, and don't respond with lovebusters of your own. Don't demand.

Then calmly try again tomorrow.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2826730 11/03/14 01:05 PM
M
MtnMan Offline OP
OP Offline
M

And be prepared to be slapped down with a "No," and very likely disrespectful judgements. Be prepared, and don't respond with lovebusters of your own. Don't demand.

Then calmly try again tomorrow.

Good advice and reminders about the possible "No". I will be prepared so I'm not disrespectful or frustrated by her opinion.

I found the UA worksheet and will use it to plan our week with my W. I didn't see anything specific for initimate conversation or affection "planning". Is there any resource/worksheet to help with that?

MtnMan #2826735 11/03/14 02:48 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by MtnMan
Good advice and reminders about the possible "No". I will be prepared so I'm not disrespectful or frustrated by her opinion.

I found the UA worksheet and will use it to plan our week with my W. I didn't see anything specific for initimate conversation or affection "planning". Is there any resource/worksheet to help with that?

Include intimate conversation during the entire UA time, while you are doing whatever you plan.

markos #2826849 11/04/14 12:30 PM
M
MtnMan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I screwed up last night. I did not have an angry outburst but I was disrespectful and uncaring toward my W. I didn't "show up" mentally for her to take care of her needs and I regret it.

She had a long day with the kids (especially our 3 yr old toddler) and has also been having bad headaches recently. She also didn't sleep well the night before so she was very tired and worn out from the long day. I came to the house around dinner, which she had cooked for the family, and I had told her that I would help with the kids because I knew how tired she was. In hindsight, I was not very caring or affectionate when I got home and there was an immediate lack of connection between us. I was indifferent and we didn't connect because I didn't make the effort to show care. Not that it's an excuse, but I woke up early to exercise, had a very stressful day at work and I had my anger management group, so I was drained and tired from the day too. I knew my fuse was short.

After dinner, I drove my oldest son to music class and then came home. W asked if I would mind taking the other kids with me when I went to pick him up from music, and I agreed. She said she needed a break from the kids so I did it.

We got home from music and the kids were wild, so I wrangled them upstairs with some of help from W and she said she was going to get ready for bed. I put the kids to bed and then I went in to see her. She was in bed and after a few brief words (don't remember exactly), I told her that I would "clean up the kitchen from dinner and then leave to go back to my apartment". I dropped the ball right there. I regret not asking her more about her day and connecting with her.

After finishing the dishes, I went back upstairs to tell her that I was leaving and she was clearly upset. I asked her why she was upset and she explained that I was being uncaring and she is tired of doing 99% of the work around the house to support the family. I told her that I was sorry for assuming she was going to bed and I saw how it was disrespectful. I also told her I disagreed that she does 99% and I do 1%. She was not disrespectful to me at all, and explained how she feel like she has sacrificed and I do very little, and she feels like it would be better in a divorce because I would have to do 50% of the work. This upset me to hear that she thinks divorce is a better option and her divorced friends are telling her that their lives are better because it is 50/50 and they get a break. Anyway, I knew the conversation was going to go bad, so I told her that I was just going to leave. I stopped before any AO because I could sense that it was escalating and I "left the room". Looking back on it, it was disrespectful that I assumed she was going to bed and didn't want to talk more. I also should have figured out a way to set aside being tired and upset, and instead be there for her. I should have "manned up" and taken care of her. She clearly needed somebody and I regret leaving. frown

When I got back to my apartment, I texted an apology, but the damage had already been done. I had already been disrespectful and uncaring. She is still upset today and said "No" to my attempts at helping with the kids today so she can take some time off. I asked her how she would feel about going to get a massage today because she is clearly stressed out from doing 99% of the domestic duties. She said "no" because she feels like it's a "bandaid for a bigger problem". I also suggested maybe going out for a drink or dinner together tonight to get away from the kids, but she is too upset to want to go out with me. I clearly did not maintain an environment of care and safety for her so I understand why she is rejecting all these attempts to "make it up to her".

I caused us to step backwards a few steps again. frown Any advice on how I can repair this?

Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 407 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation