Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 74 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 73 74
M
M
Originally Posted by Remark
I will e-mail Dr H first thing everyday. Set up as a reminder in my Outlook for the next 10 days ( given the holiday. )
You heard yourself referenced, too, Markos, aka 'responder'.

Oh, I missed that, but I'm relistening with my wife right now!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Yes, I understand that. I will drop whatever I am doing to discuss whatever she wants 100% of the time.
Thanks for your accountability, too, Markos

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
mentioned re: "seeking professional help"

M
M
Regarding rejecting the word "abusive":

* I consider you abusive just as I consider myself when I arrived here abusive. Disrespectful judgments are abusive.
* Dr. Harley has an article on this: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5067d_qa.html

If you want to do Marriage Builders, then you need to not debate the term abusive. By Marriage Builders standards, disrespectful judgments are abuse.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
And, me too, relistening, as well.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by markos
I generally don't have angry outbursts.

Your wife detailed an angry outburst on the radio show today. She pointed out when you were engaging in behavior she finds disrespectful (saying "I'm trying"). This was valuable feedback from her that you need to encourage. Your response was to flip her off with both hands.

That's an angry outburst.

So I'm going to ask you - can you stop that, totally? If your answer is "no," I'm going to say you really, really need to go through anger management therapy. There is all kinds of anger management information available here on this site. Threads, devices you ought to buy, procedures you need to follow.

Yes, I can stop that. I'm not defending it.

The answer needs to not be "I generally don't have angry outbursts." Angry outbursts need to be eliminated. Your wife ought to separate from you if you can't stop these, right?

Yes, I know.

Incidentally, I noticed that when Dr. Harley asked if you had any issues with impulse control, you turned things around in your answer to be answering about you and your wife. What's the deal with that? Can you isolate your own faults without having to bring your wife's into it?

Yes,it struck a chord with me. Will do.

M
M
More comments:

Don't ever debate your wife. If she says you're not seeking professional help, don't debate her on that point. Don't try to refute her.

When you feel frustrated, don't say or do anything. Because when you are feeling frustration everything you are thinking of saying or doing is going to make your problem worse.

I read a book by an anger management therapist who in counseling one guy simply gave him a card that said "SHUT UP." It's fantastic advice.

M
M
I'd encourage you to relisten to this show often. Maybe even daily for awhile.

I suspect that listening to it will make you feel pretty emotional. It will be hard to make yourself do that.

However, by repeatedly listening to those emotional topics, you will eventually dull the emotional reaction. And when you are not getting so emotional, you will hear much more of what Dr. Harley is advising you.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
So, recapping, I am making these commitments
1. Give undivided attention all the time. That will override my predisposition to get annoyed when I'm being complained to. Giving her undivided attention will prove to her she is my no. 1 priority.
2. Send daily e-mail to Dr H on that progress
3. Stop making excuses
4. Don't bring anyone else (ie wife) into the issue made/asked of, me.
5. No angry outbursts
6. Stop doing what's not working; actually do the program.

M
M
Add to 1. - make eye contact with JustDaytoDay when she talks to you.

Add to 5. - a time limit to eliminate angry outbursts, and an agreement that if you are unable to eliminate angry outbursts by that time limit, you will agree to seek professional help. Go read the Anger Management 101 threads here. And also Dr. Harley's "How to negotiate when you are an emotional person" article. Do you have the most recent edition of love busters? There is lots more information about angry outbursts in here than in the earlier editions.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Good catches. I am adding them to my plan. My daily, first thing before doing anything reminder list.

Yes, I think I do have the latest edition of Love Busters. I'll hve to check.

And, OK, what's a resonable time limit. 30 days? a week?

Thanks

M
M
I would suggest 30 days.

Love Busters was revised in 2002, then again in 2008.

Plan to refine your list over time.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
1. Give undivided attention all the time utilizing EYE CONTACT. That will override my predisposition to get annoyed when I'm being complained to. Giving her undivided attention will prove to her she is my no. 1 priority.
3. Stop making excuses
5. No angry outbursts. If I can't completely eliminate them within 30 days, I will see additional professional help.
6. Stop doing what's not working; actually do the program.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I have the 2002 edition. I'll read it as I have it. Major difference in the 2008 edition?

M
M
I have the 2002 edition. I'll read it as I have it. Major difference in the 2008 edition?

Yes, there's been a lot added about angry outbursts.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I'll snag a newer copy. Thanks

M
M
I would say that your #6 is not near specific enough.

M
M
I would add to that list "Do not disrespect your wife". It is not good enough that you think you are showing her respect. She needs to feel that you are doing it.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Great additional ideas!
1. Give undivided attention all the time WITH CONSTANT EYE CONTACT. That will override my predisposition annoy her when we're conversing. Giving her undivided attention will prove to her she is my no. 1 priority. She will see it ocver time.
3. Stop making excuses
5. No angry outbursts. And, if I cannot elimiate AO within 30 ndays, I will seek additional professional help,
6. Stop doing what's not working; Stop just talking about it, or brutalizing my wife about it; actually do the program.
7. Show her no disrespect, by her definition. To monitor that, I will ask her periodically if she feels I have disrespected her in any way.
Thanks

M
M
Remark - how's it going? You disappeared rather quickly.

Page 9 of 74 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 73 74

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,358 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation