Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
wenang #2834303 12/17/14 02:29 AM
J
J
Pete,
Go back home, and don't leave again. That is a big mistake. Do you want the other man in your home? Do you want a judge to side with your wife because you abandoned your family?

How did you expose the affair? Who did you expose to? What did you say in your exposure letters?

PeteF #2834308 12/17/14 08:11 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by PeteF
Update - exposure complete. She is still in contact with OM. Didn't want to uproot 6 mo old and 2 1/2 yr old from our house so I left instead of asking her to leave. Really tired of being lied to. Staying with friends.

We each made appts with lawyers but cancelled after talking and agreeing to continue therapy but stay separated for a while. Remember it has only been 3 weeks since she revealed affair to me. God I hope someone here tells me that most WWs go through this, really don't want this to be it but am prepared for the worst. As it has only been one night apart I suppose I should should give the separation more time.

GO HOME.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Justthe3ofus #2834309 12/17/14 08:15 AM
T
T
Originally Posted by Justthe3ofus
Pete,
Go back home, and don't leave again. That is a big mistake. Do you want the other man in your home? Do you want a judge to side with your wife because you abandoned your family?

How did you expose the affair? Who did you expose to? What did you say in your exposure letters?

Exactly.

Never do anything to make the affair easier for the WW and OM. Also never weaken your legal standing. Your are at war.

PeteF #2834318 12/17/14 10:35 AM
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

TheRoad #2834322 12/17/14 10:39 AM
P
PeteF Offline OP
OP Offline
P
All, thank you for the quick response. Quite frankly I thought a temporary separation was the only way - we need space. She knows how I feel - I desperately want to save the marriage and have expressed this endlessly in verbal and written words. All I get from her is comments about how expensive a divorce, how it would ruin her credit, how we have a beautiful home and kids, but nothing about really wanting to rebuild the marriage. I was so tired of having her put on a happy face while being lied to daily and having her put salt in my gaping wound. She needs to tell me she wants me back, I can't do all the work here. Pride took over and I physically could not be around her while that was going on behind my back. I need her to feel a little emotional jolt here - that I really may be gone for a while.

Confusing times. Headed home today to watch the kids while she is at therapy. Then who knows.

Last edited by PeteF; 12/17/14 10:47 AM.
PeteF #2834323 12/17/14 10:52 AM
B
B
Update - exposure complete.

Who did you expose the affair to?

Welcome to MB

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
PeteF #2834324 12/17/14 10:54 AM
B
B
I had thought about that (contacting OM's wife). Problem is she may be very vindictive since her and my wife were "friends." Not sure what she tells me would be accurate. Plus my wife would just deny everything anyway. Oh and she lives ACROSS THE STREET...very toxic environment.

Did you talk to OMW?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
PeteF #2834352 12/17/14 03:23 PM
M
M
All, thank you for the quick response. Quite frankly I thought a temporary separation was the only way - we need space. She knows how I feel - I desperately want to save the marriage and have expressed this endlessly in verbal and written words. All I get from her is comments about how expensive a divorce, how it would ruin her credit, how we have a beautiful home and kids, but nothing about really wanting to rebuild the marriage. I was so tired of having her put on a happy face while being lied to daily and having her put salt in my gaping wound. She needs to tell me she wants me back, I can't do all the work here. Pride took over and I physically could not be around her while that was going on behind my back. I need her to feel a little emotional jolt here - that I really may be gone for a while.

Confusing times. Headed home today to watch the kids while she is at therapy. Then who knows.

We're you interested in saving your marriage? Just so you know, many judges view it as abandonment when a man leaves his family. And of course, you can't save a marriage if you are not there. Not sure what you mean by "getting space?" What does that mean exactly?

Did you expose the affair to the OMW?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2834385 12/17/14 07:25 PM
J
J
Sir,
There is no hope for your marriage unless you FIRST move back home and THEN Expose the affair.

MelodyLane #2834386 12/17/14 07:27 PM
J
J

FYI: Adulterous women need "space" to have an affair so its convenient if they can talk their husband into leaving.
Sir, my wife also went to "therapy"...and you know what? It turned out the "therapy" was her meeting her affair partner while I was home with the kids!!

Jedi_Knight #2834387 12/17/14 07:29 PM
M
M
Pete, could you find some "space" in the garage or back yard? Why not just step outside if you feel a need for "space" and avoid moving out. Do you have room for yourself in the yard?

Exposure 101

Jedi_Knight #2834398 12/17/14 09:19 PM
F
F
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight

FYI: Adulterous women need "space" to have an affair so its convenient if they can talk their husband into leaving.
Sir, my wife also went to "therapy"...and you know what? It turned out the "therapy" was her meeting her affair partner while I was home with the kids!!

My wife had similar "therapy" appointments.

When I wouldn't move out she got angry with me. It was very difficult for her to see or talk to her boyfriend if I was home whenever she was.

Stay in the house. If you think that she would never accuse you of "abandonment" you are likely giving her too much credit. If you stand in the way of her drug(the other man), she may do many things that you never thought she was capable of.

My wife filed a ridiculous restraining order(RO) against me and tried to convince anyone who would listen that I was crazy and violent. Just to get me out of the house so she could more easily get her "fix".

The RO was a short term problem for me but abandonment will be very damaging to you in the long run.

BH 31
Married 5 years
D day-10/8/14
Separated-10/27/14
1 DS3
1 DSS13
face1 #2834578 12/18/14 10:09 PM
P
PeteF Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I am going home tomorrow. She made it clear she wants me to come back. We had individual counseling sessions this week where the therapist presented a worksheet meant to help us set basic rules for living in the same house while we work on the marriage. I think we are in for a lengthy reconciliation process but am willing to try. It's incredibly strange to have to start over with the person I married - like a second bomb being dropped.

PeteF #2834580 12/18/14 10:17 PM
F
F
Is she still contacting OM?

BH 31
Married 5 years
D day-10/8/14
Separated-10/27/14
1 DS3
1 DSS13
face1 #2834582 12/18/14 10:20 PM
P
PeteF Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by face1

It's possible that she, like anyone else, could delete all evidence before I see it. Knowing that, as long as she'll telling me there's no contact, how do I know for sure?

PeteF #2834585 12/18/14 10:23 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by face1

It's possible that she, like anyone else, could delete all evidence before I see it. Knowing that, as long as she'll telling me there's no contact, how do I know for sure?

You would want to snoop. Does your "therapist" have a plan to save your marriage? I ask this because most therapists are not experienced or qualified to save marriages. If you want a step by step program to save your marriage, I would get the book Surviving an Affair along with the workbook, Five Steps to Romantic Love. You can also listen to the radio show every day for free.

Here is the checklist for recovery from an affair:

From Surviving an Affair, pg 66-67

The extraordinary precautions do more than end marriage-threatening affairs; they help a couple form the kind of relationship they always wanted.

These recommendations may seem rigid, unnecessarily confining, and even paranoid to those who have not been the victim of infidelity. But people like Sue and Jon, who have suffered unimaginable pain as a result of an affair that spun out of control, can easily see their value. For the inconvenience of following my advice, Sue would have spared herself and Jon the very worst experience of their lives.

Checklist for How Affairs Should End

_____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

_____Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

_____Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

_____Spend leisure time together.

_____Change jobs and relocate if necessary.

_____Avoid overnight separation.

_____Allow technical accountability.

_____ Expose affair to family members, clergy, and/or friends.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2834651 12/19/14 09:22 AM
L
L
This OM was a neighbor of yours who lives close, right? You and your wife need to get out of there. There must be no further contact EVER between the OM and your wife. Plus living there in the same neighborhood is going to be an everlasting trigger.

Transparency in marriage is essential, so you and your wife should share your passwords to everything.

Most therapists have no idea how to restore a marriage after infidelity, so most give very unhelpful, even destructive advice. Dr. Harley has forty years of experience helping couples recover a marriage after an affair. Recovery is a very narrow path with no margin for error. Dr. Harley always advises moving away from affair partners who live in the same vicinity.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
P
PeteF Offline OP
OP Offline
P
OM's wife kicked him out and they're divorcing. OM's wife still lives in neighborhood but rumors are she's moving. If she does not, we'll have to consider moving.

Update - I am home and we have put down ground rules on how we can coexist and try to rebuild. Affair is over - I will monitor, but until I uncover something I believe that is it really over. Now on to us (me and my wife).

She admits she goes back on forth - one day she really wants to make it work, some days she does not. All goes back to the disconnect we experienced prior to the affair. I will work on meeting emotional needs, but I'm asking for advice as it's an incredibly strange position to be in to have to win over my own wife.

Without pressuring and maintaining a safe environment, how can I get her to really embrace rebuilding and stop having doubts?

PeteF #2834777 12/19/14 04:39 PM
L
L
OM's wife kicked him out and they're divorcing. OM's wife still lives in neighborhood but rumors are she's moving. If she does not, we'll have to consider moving.

Update - I am home and we have put down ground rules on how we can coexist and try to rebuild. Affair is over - I will monitor, but until I uncover something I believe that is it really over. Now on to us (me and my wife).

She admits she goes back on forth - one day she really wants to make it work, some days she does not. All goes back to the disconnect we experienced prior to the affair. I will work on meeting emotional needs, but I'm asking for advice as it's an incredibly strange position to be in to have to win over my own wife.

Without pressuring and maintaining a safe environment, how can I get her to really embrace rebuilding and stop having doubts?

Dr. Harley says that both betrayed husbands AND wayward husbands are in the position of having to win their wives back, if they want the marriage to recover.

Your wife will be in withdrawal and vacillate between wishing she had the romance of the affair and the logic of the marriage. You will need to reassure her that the recovery plan you plan to use will include BOTH logic AND romance.

Your wife will stop having doubts about the marriage once recovery has happened. Withdrawal often takes a few weeks, and Dr. Harley recommends antidepressants if one or both spouses become very depressed during this period of time. It need only be temporary.

Make sure that you have full transparency in your marriage. You and she should always be an open book.

Eliminate all your love busters and meet her ENs. What did she complain about in you before her affair? What did she want you to change? Work on those things.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
G
G
You are getting really good advise from the vets here!

My 2 cents:

It sounds like its hard for you to directly experience your wife's ambivalence towards you and the marriage. Therefore go to your doctor and have him put you on an antidepressant for a short period of time.

Its very normal for a wayward to vasilate regarding the marriage. Its fog babble.

Its very normal for your wife to point fingers at betrayed husband as far as the reason she was compelled to have an affair. More fog babble. But since this is hard for you anyway that's why you'll need antidepressant to hold on during recovery. Of course the reason she had the affair was due to poor boundaries around opposite sex. Whether she owns it now or never does, this is the truth.

And its true, you are going to need to start over. The marriage you both had is over. There was a beginning, a middle and now an end. The affair ended what you once had. To go forward you will need to transform the relationship w/new habits and extraordinary precautions and more. In your prior marriage you and your wife likely leaned more heavily on certain roles and trusts and so on. Now your going to need to thoughtfully re-examine it all and see what to throw out and what to keep. And you likely will move out of your existing home. You'll figure out there will be too many triggers for both of you.

And don't be surprised if you find your in a false recovery at some point. You've already learned your wife has turned into an alien and has found herself addicted to scumbag.

BW 58
WH 61
married 35 years
2 adult children
2 grandchildren

"Love anything and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one...It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable...The only place outside of Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from dangers and perturbations of love is Hell" c.s. lewis
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 365 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation