Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#2833517 12/11/14 08:44 PM
H
OP Offline
H
I've been married for 10 years and together 15. I busted my husband having and affair 2 months ago. We've been going to marriage counseling and everything has been great even though I knew he was still hiding stuff. We got into an argument the other night and I drilled him for more information, he finally told me that he had another affair 3 years go. I've never suspected anything. I am crushed and still believe he is hiding more. At this point I have no clue what to do. I want to work it out if he can come clean. I have no clue where to start. At this point he is really not even talking to me. He's made at me because I posted the pictures of the 2 girls that he had the affair with on my fb. I feel I'm losing my husband and I don't want to. It's almost to the point I want to just forget everything and live unhappy with him. I've been with him since I was 16 and I'm now 31 and don't know if I could survive life without him. He's all I've ever know.

M
M
Hi Heartbroken, welcome to Marriage Builders. I am so sorry for the reasons that have brought you here.

How did he manage to hide these affairs? Does he travel for a living? How was he able to set up that secret lifestyle?

How did you catch him?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Originally Posted by HeartBrokenlost
I've been married for 10 years and together 15. I busted my husband having and affair 2 months ago. We've been going to marriage counseling and everything has been great even though I knew he was still hiding stuff. We got into an argument the other night and I drilled him for more information, he finally told me that he had another affair 3 years go. I've never suspected anything. I am crushed and still believe he is hiding more. At this point I have no clue what to do. I want to work it out if he can come clean. I have no clue where to start. At this point he is really not even talking to me. He's made at me because I posted the pictures of the 2 girls that he had the affair with on my fb. I feel I'm losing my husband and I don't want to. It's almost to the point I want to just forget everything and live unhappy with him. I've been with him since I was 16 and I'm now 31 and don't know if I could survive life without him. He's all I've ever know.
Welcome to MB, HeartBroken.

I think the only way you will get the truth is to arrange a polygraph test.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
B
It's almost to the point I want to just forget everything and live unhappy with him.

Living in an unhappy marriage with him is a misery you don't want. It will destroy you. Do you have children together?

I've been with him since I was 16 and I'm now 31 and don't know if I could survive life without him. He's all I've ever know.

Any betrayal from a spouse is horrible but you will survive with or without him...unless YOU choose to give up.

Welcome to MB

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
H
OP Offline
H
They were through text, I felt funny one day a looked at his phone and saw he deleted them. I got them all recovered. He works a lot and is my son's baseball coach. Both women were from baseball. We have 3 kids.

H
OP Offline
H
I don't know if any sex was involved. All I have is some of the messages.

M
M
HB, he will need to quit that coaching job. His affairs should be exposed to everyone involved, including your children. The plan to recover your marriage is in Surviving an Affair and here is the extraordinary precaution checklist from that book:

From Surviving an Affair, pg 66-67

The extraordinary precautions do more than end marriage-threatening affairs; they help a couple form the kind of relationship they always wanted.

These recommendations may seem rigid, unnecessarily confining, and even paranoid to those who have not been the victim of infidelity. But people like Sue and Jon, who have suffered unimaginable pain as a result of an affair that spun out of control, can easily see their value. For the inconvenience of following my advice, Sue would have spared herself and Jon the very worst experience of their lives.

Checklist for How Affairs Should End

_____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

_____Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

_____Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

_____Spend leisure time together.

_____Change jobs and relocate if necessary.

_____Avoid overnight separation.

_____Allow technical accountability.

_____ Expose affair to family members, clergy, and/or friends.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
Is it still considered an affair if there was no sex involved? He says that it was just inappropriate text that went to far. There was a lot of talk about sex and pictures sent.

N
N
Is it still considered an affair if there was no sex involved? He says that it was just inappropriate text that went to far. There was a lot of talk about sex and pictures sent.

Yes, it's called an emotional affair. It will progress to a physical affair.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
B
B
When will you be exposing?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

H
OP Offline
H
I have already exposed the affair I busted 2 months ago. She lives in my neighborhood, so I was able to go to her house and confront her and tell her husband. I also told everyone at baseball about it. The other one that happened 3 years ago at baseball, I just found out and they only thing I did was post it on my fb and now I'm being threatened that if I don't stop that she will sue me for slander.

B
B
I have already exposed the affair I busted 2 months ago. She lives in my neighborhood, so I was able to go to her house and confront her and tell her husband. I also told everyone at baseball about it. The other one that happened 3 years ago at baseball, I just found out and they only thing I did was post it on my fb and now I'm being threatened that if I don't stop that she will sue me for slander.
Did you expose to OW's parents?

Who did you expose to on WH's side? Did you tell your children?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

H
OP Offline
H
And my husband has also been threatened that if I post anything else that he could loose his job. His Corp keeps a eye on my fb because I'm his wife, even though I don't have anything that says where he works and I don't talk about his job on my fb.

H
OP Offline
H
I'm not sure of the terms. OW? WH?

B
B
Did you expose to OW's parents?

Did you expose to WH's family?

Did you expose to your children?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
I'm not sure of the terms. OW? WH?
OW= other woman
WH= wayward husband

Here Abbreviations and Acronyms

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

H
OP Offline
H
I did to my husband's family. I did not to neither women because neither have family, just friends. I was their friend and kinda took them in to help them. Watched their kids and paid for one of the OW kid to play baseball and bought all food while we were out of town playing ball with our kids. The baseball is a voluntary position. It's not his day job.

H
OP Offline
H
1 OW does have an x husband and he has the kids now. I would have no clue how to tell him. She had a granny but her granny has passed away a few years ago... the other OW moved here from out of town and she had a lot of abuse growing up and was taken from her home.

H
OP Offline
H
My 9 year old son knows. My twins are 6 and not sure how to tell them.

B
B
he finally told me that he had another affair 3 years go.

Did WH use the word "affair" or is that your word? What exactly did he admit to happening three yrs ago?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
B
B
I did to my husband's family. I did not to neither women because neither have family, just friends. I was their friend and kinda took them in to help them. Watched their kids and paid for one of the OW kid to play baseball and bought all food while we were out of town playing ball with our kids. The baseball is a voluntary position. It's not his day job.
Is anyone from his family putting any pressure on him?

What did his parents say? Your parents?

How old are your kids? Have you told them?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
M

Yes, it is an affair.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
No he doesn't ever use the word affair. I only do. He told me that him and her would text very sexual things and she would send naked pictures. I left to get away after he told me, so him and I really haven't spoke about it anymore. I'm going back home, I just needed time to process all this alone.

B
B
No he doesn't ever use the word affair. I only do. He told me that him and her would text very sexual things and she would send naked pictures. I left to get away after he told me, so him and I really haven't spoke about it anymore. I'm going back home, I just needed time to process all this alone.
Where did you go?

So he's home with your children?

Please answer this.
Have you told your children?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
And my husband has also been threatened that if I post anything else that he could loose his job. His Corp keeps a eye on my fb because I'm his wife, even though I don't have anything that says where he works and I don't talk about his job on my fb.

Who told you he could loose his job if you post anything about his affair partners (APs)?

If your WH is so worried about possibly losing his job, you have leverage to require him to take a poly. Do not take anything down.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

F
F
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
How old are your kids? Have you told them?

Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Please answer this.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
B
B
Here, please read. Dr. Harley recommends to tell children of 4 years and older.
Exposing to Children

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

H
OP Offline
H
As soon as I posted it he got an email from corporate With a ss of my post and was told it was a big no no and I needed to remove it or he
Could loose his job. I did remove it and deleted my fb.

B
B
As soon as I posted it he got an email from corporate With a ss of my post and was told it was a big no no and I needed to remove it or he
Did you see this email or just his word that he received this email?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

H
OP Offline
H
I saw one email from corporate with the ss asking him what was this all about. The rest was done through phone calls or other emails. I'm not to sure. They were telling him that I had on my fb that I worked for his job but I didn't and I don't even have that I was married. I do have pictures of us a a company function with the name of the company. Thats it.

L
L

You must be very special that Corporate Officials just sit and wait for you to post on FB.

Do you REALLY believe that?

Let's see. A cheater is a liar. The liar told you he got that message.

Uhhh??? How can the posts of a non-employee have anything to do with his job?

I think your lying WH just revealed a soft spot he is concerned about.

Does he know either POSOW from his work?

If the company is THAT concerned about their public image of their employees, they surely would want to know whatever they can to cease and desks his despicable behavior.

Contact them directly. See if someone monitors your FB account. That sound ludicrously.

LTL

Last edited by LearnedTooLate; 12/12/14 03:09 PM.
M
M

He can't lose his job over your facebook page, that is a lie he made up to scare you. He can lose his job over bad behavior possibly, but that is his fault not yours.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
What do I need to do to get our marriage where it needs to be.. what questions should I ask him? He says he wants to work it out and so do I but I need honesty from him and don't know how to get that out.

M
M
What do I need to do to get our marriage where it needs to be.. what questions should I ask him? He says he wants to work it out and so do I but I need honesty from him and don't know how to get that out.

I would schedule a polygraph with a reliable tester. What questions do want answered? I would make an appointment and when you do that, hand him a list of all your questions. Tell him he has 2 days to answer honestly and clear the air BEFORE the pg test. He won't know what questions they ask on the polygraph.Tell him you expect him to pass it.

In the meantime, he must agree to some very specific steps that are designed to protect you from another affair. The first steps would be to quit coaching and cut off all contact with these women. And I would definitely expose the affair.

From Surviving an Affair, pg 66-67

The extraordinary precautions do more than end marriage-threatening affairs; they help a couple form the kind of relationship they always wanted.

These recommendations may seem rigid, unnecessarily confining, and even paranoid to those who have not been the victim of infidelity. But people like Sue and Jon, who have suffered unimaginable pain as a result of an affair that spun out of control, can easily see their value. For the inconvenience of following my advice, Sue would have spared herself and Jon the very worst experience of their lives.

Checklist for How Affairs Should End

_____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

_____Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

_____Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
So I now know what he was hiding in his truck the other night that he didn't want me to know about and claimed it was just a sex toy. It was drugs. Ox y codeine. (Have no clue how to spell it ) the pill has A322 on it. He had 18 this morning when I counted them at 11 and now it's 1:30 and I went and recounted them and there is only 14. He does not know I know any of this. What do I do next??

M
M
So I now know what he was hiding in his truck the other night that he didn't want me to know about and claimed it was just a sex toy. It was drugs. Ox y codeine. (Have no clue how to spell it ) the pill has A322 on it. He had 18 this morning when I counted them at 11 and now it's 1:30 and I went and recounted them and there is only 14. He does not know I know any of this. What do I do next??

HB, are you reading our posts? We are making posts to you and it doesn't seem like you are even reading them. We can't help you if you don't read our posts.

As far as this recent discovery, just go talk to him. Are these illegal narcotics? If so, I would call the police.

Exposure 101

M
M
Do you think you have the ability to put aside your emotions and follow a plan? Because if you can't, I don't give this any hope. Your marriage is not going to recover by magic. You have to be able to follow and execute a plan.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
I am reading post. I just can't do anything right now because we are out of town at families.

H
OP Offline
H
I am reading post. I just can't do anything right now because we are out of town at families.

B
B
Have you told your six year olds yet?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

H
OP Offline
H
I haven't yet. We've been out of town and I didn't want to do it around my family. I'm going to when we get home and sit them all down and tell them. All my family knows except my grandparents. I didn't want to worry them they are in their late 80's.

P
P
My grandma, who is in her 90s has been an immense help in dealing with my WW affair. I wouldn't hesitate to tell them.

pm18 #2834016 12/14/14 12:34 PM
H
OP Offline
H
My grandma is very very religious and wouldn't judge, all she would do is pray for us. I just don't want to break her heart. She tells me all the time that she feels so comfortable leaving this earth knowing her granddaughter has a wonderful husband and will be taken care of when she's gone. I just don't want her to know the pain I'm in and worry her self to death.

B
B
Is this your show?

Radio Clip of HeartBrokenlost's Show

How are you?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
HB, he will need to quit that coaching job. His affairs should be exposed to everyone involved, including your children.

Response

we talked about the coaching job and he will no longer coach.
Response he has and im not sure if he has revealed it all.
[quote=MelodyLane]_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.
Response he does not have any contact with either.

Response i do monitor everything. he wanted his whatsapp back for work and i let him have it back. he only talks to his employees.

Response i do know where hes at all times

Response yes i have all control over all the money now

Response yes we do

Response not necessary

Response we dont spend any nights apart

Response yes

this has been done to everyone but my 6 year old girls. i just dont feel comfortable telling them. they are young i wouldnt understand.

M
M
Response i do monitor everything. he wanted his whatsapp back for work and i let him have it back. he only talks to his employees.

'Monitoring" everything will not stop communication. You are just enabling him by agreeing for him to have Whatsapp. He can easily communicate with the OW.

this has been done to everyone but my 6 year old girls. i just dont feel comfortable telling them. they are young i wouldnt understand. [/quote]

Of course they would understand unless they are mentally disabled. Are they mentally impaired? Children usually understand as young as age 4.

I don't see that you have taken affair proofing seriously at all. Your husband's girlfriend is still free to contact him.

There is nothing we can do for you if you won't take these steps seriously. Your husband won't take it seriously if you don't..

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
I am putting a list together on what i need to do. here's what I have so far

1 delete both facebooks
2 change both cell numbers
3 im going to tell my girls

M
M

1 delete both facebooks

Good girl!! awesome

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
he left this morning because he was sick of talking (he went to work)
im wanting to know if i should let him come back home? we are supposed to take our kids and go to the beach tomorrow. its already paid for.his mom and my neighbors are going. it was planned while i thought things were getting better then we had a fight yesterday and he left this morning.

H
OP Offline
H

1 delete both facebooks

Good girl!! awesome

what else should i do on my list? what about letting him come back home tonight?

M
M
im wanting to know if i should let him come back home? we are supposed to take our kids and go to the beach tomorrow. its already paid for.his mom and my neighbors are going. it was planned while i thought things were getting better then we had a fight yesterday and he left this morning.

What happened?

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H

What happened?

it started over 5 hour energy shots. he said he wouldnt buy them anymore and he did behind my back. he did tell me he did buy them after the fact. the lie of him saying he wouldnt buy them anymore brought all the feelings back.

H
OP Offline
H
the reason i ask if he should stay away is because i feel if he was gone he would have time to think and then he would get serious about fixing things.

F
F
So we worked with HB a little today and I think we have a short term plan worked out.

DH is going to be coming home this evening. We figured they can't work anything out if they are apart.

They seem to have a problem with love busters, so HB is going to be working to eliminate these from her side of the fence. The goal of this is partially to show hubby the benefits of working the program and more importantly to stop the LB withdrawals.

She is also going to work her three action items:

1. Eliminate both Facebook accounts
2. Change both of their cell numbers.
3. Sit her children down herself and tell them what is going on.

We've gone over the reasons for all of these items so I believe HB is on board.

Her husband has indicated that he would be willing to go on the radio show with her so that is a positive.

I believe all of this is in line with what would be recommended here, but wanted to put it out there for the more experienced.

I also believe HB and her DH would benefit from some help getting their love busters under control (especially bringing up mistakes of the past).

Is there anything else we should be working into her plan right now? HB is currently at the point of being very upset that her DH isn't showing more initiative on his own. Reading, posting, etc. Of course he just wants it to all go away.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
F
Sorry that probably sounded odd. I should mention that HB is a neighbor of ours who we have been talking with about MB. We sent here here for help since MB and this forum worked so well for us. I know she will get good advice here. More than we can provide on our own.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
B
B

1 delete both facebooks

HBL,

When are you going to start doing these things? I don't mean to sound harsh but those three things should not take long. You said you were going to tell your girls when you got back from your family trip and still haven't (don't know when you got back). You haven't told your girls and there is an upcoming beach trip...seems like you want to keep putting things off. There will never be a "good" time. The longer you drag things out the harder it will be.

When are you going to do those three things?

Last edited by black_raven; 12/30/14 05:47 PM.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

H
OP Offline
H
I have deleted my fb already and asked him to do the same. He has not yet. I also asked him to have mine and his number changed and said he will call the company. It will be easy to get our numbers changed as we don't have a local number so Verizon shouldn't give us a hard time.
He's not home from work yet so maybe he'll delete his fb once he gets here and calls the phone company. Again with my girls, it's just finding the right words for them. They are twins so yes they are delayed, one is more delayed than the other. I've been reading on how to tell them on their own level. I am ok with them knowing, it's just making sure I say the right thing and I'm ready with answers because they will hit me with a lot of questions.

B
B
What did you tell DS9? You can't tell the girls the same?

My DD was 6 when I exposed. My son was 8. I told them the same thing.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

H
OP Offline
H
My son is 9 and I just told him and with who, as he knows them both very well. He is friends with both women's boys. All he said was " I guess this means no more baseball"

H
OP Offline
H
Well, soon I guess. My husband signed up for marriage builders and I'm sure he'll see this soon.

B
B
My son is 9 and I just told him and with who, as he knows them both very well. He is friends with both women's boys. All he said was " I guess this means no more baseball"

I don't see any reason why you can't tell your girls the same as you told your son. I think you are over thinking it. You should tell the girls tonight and get it over with.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

M
M
IThey are twins so yes they are delayed, one is more delayed than the other. I've been reading on how to tell them on their own level. I am ok with them knowing, it's just making sure I say the right thing and I'm ready with answers because they will hit me with a lot of questions.

HB, simply tell them the truth just as you told the boy. This is not complicated. Tell them their dad committed adultery with OW. Explain what adultery means and tell them how much it hurts you. Explan why adultery is immoral. I would make it clear to them that you all will have no contact with the OW and her family for life.

Do this without telling your husband first. Just tell the girls on your own and encourage them to speak to your H if they have any questions.

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by FightTheFight
So we worked with HB a little today and I think we have a short term plan worked out.

DH is going to be coming home this evening. We figured they can't work anything out if they are apart.

They seem to have a problem with love busters, so HB is going to be working to eliminate these from her side of the fence. The goal of this is partially to show hubby the benefits of working the program and more importantly to stop the LB withdrawals.

She is also going to work her three action items:

1. Eliminate both Facebook accounts
2. Change both of their cell numbers.
3. Sit her children down herself and tell them what is going on.

We've gone over the reasons for all of these items so I believe HB is on board.

Her husband has indicated that he would be willing to go on the radio show with her so that is a positive.

I believe all of this is in line with what would be recommended here, but wanted to put it out there for the more experienced.

I also believe HB and her DH would benefit from some help getting their love busters under control (especially bringing up mistakes of the past).

Is there anything else we should be working into her plan right now? HB is currently at the point of being very upset that her DH isn't showing more initiative on his own. Reading, posting, etc. Of course he just wants it to all go away.

Bravo!!! HB, you have a great resource right here. hurray

Exposure 101

B
B
Please listen to the clips in here.
Exposing to Children

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

H
OP Offline
H
Just an update on what's going on. My husband has been reading on the marriage builders website and we have been reading surving an affair together nightly. We changed all numbers, deleted fb, and blocked the ow numbers from all our phones. ( the ow would contact me often) things seem to he ok, I'm learning to control my emotions which was very hard for me. It's getting easier. My husband is not against telling the girls about his affair, he's been reading and agrees that it will be best to tell them.

B
B
Just an update on what's going on. My husband has been reading on the marriage builders website and we have been reading surving an affair together nightly. We changed all numbers, deleted fb, and blocked the ow numbers from all our phones. ( the ow would contact me often) things seem to he ok, I'm learning to control my emotions which was very hard for me. It's getting easier. My husband is not against telling the girls about his affair, he's been reading and agrees that it will be best to tell them.
Did he send the OW a NC letter?

Have you spoke to your doctor about ADs?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

H
OP Offline
H
The affair has been ended since October. I'm 100% sure. Her husband and I stayed in Contact for a while after I exposed it to him to make sure nothing else came up.

What is Ads?

H
OP Offline
H
I have been on ads since October. They also gave me Xanax but I no longer take them. I'm ok without the Xanax. I'm sleeping fine and my heart dosent race near as much as it did.

B
B
The affair has been ended since October. I'm 100% sure. Her husband and I stayed in Contact for a while after I exposed it to him to make sure nothing else came up.

What is Ads?
I still think he needs to write a NC letter and you send it. This is a very important step for a WH to show he is serious about recovery. If he can't do that, then that is red flag.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
My advice is to write a final letter in a way that the victimized spouse would agree to send it. It should begin with a statement of how selfish it was to cause those they loved so much pain, and while marital reconciliation cannot completely repay the offense, it's the right thing to do. A statement should be made about how much the unfaithful spouse cares about his spouse and family, and for their protection, has decided to completely end the relationship with the lover. He or she has promised never to see or communicate with the lover again in life, and asks the lover to respect that promise. Nothing should be said about how much the lover will be missed. After the letter is written, the victimized spouse should read and approve it before it is sent
Coping with Infidelity: Part 2 How Should Affairs End?

[from SAA, pg 58]

OW, I want you to know that out of respect and love for my wife and children, I have come to realize that I must never see or talk to you again. My relationship with you was a cruel indulgence that BS did not deserve. While I cannot completely repay BS for the pain I caused her, I will do my best to become the husband she has been missing. I care a great deal for my family and I would not want to do anything to risk their happiness. I will not make any further contact with you and I do not want you to make any contact with me. Please respect my desire to end our relationship.

Sincerely, XXXXX

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

H
OP Offline
H
We will get on with the letter tonight after getting kids in bed. The ow lives very close to me. She lives in my neighborhood.

H
OP Offline
H
She rents so I do pray she moves. We just had this house built less than 2 years ago, so we will not be moving. Just wanted to add that incase moving comes up. It's not an option for us.

M
M
She rents so I do pray she moves. We just had this house built less than 2 years ago, so we will not be moving. Just wanted to add that incase moving comes up. It's not an option for us.

I am so sorry, because that means marital recovery is not an option. If you put the house before your marriage, you won't make it. You can't possibly recover your marriage living in the same neighborhood as the OW. Even if you have to rent out your home to move, you should do it without delay. Every time you and your H drive by the OW house, you will both be triggered. And as long as your H is perpetually triggered, there is a strong chance the affair will resume.

Go to this thread: here and listen to the radio clips for this caption:
...........this radio clip is the typical outcome when a couple does not move away from the OP. [when they live close by] This WH, Bob, and his OW lived a mile apart and the affair has been on and off for 3 1/2 years. The BW is now divorcing him and their little boy is severely depressed. This is what happens when one ignores Dr Harley's recommendations for NO CONTACT FOR LIFE. We have seen this happen over and over again on the SAA board over the years

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
Renting out our house and moving is not an option. It may mean we have to work harder,and that's what we will do. I'm sorry but I completely disagree that we can't fix things while living here. I believe we can.

M
M
HB, there is no house on the face of the earth that is worth sacrificing your marriage. None. We have had hundreds of people move in order to get away from their affair partner.

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
"In spite of career sacrifices, friendships, and issues relating to children's schooling, I am adamant in recommending that there be no contact with a former lover for life. For many, that means a move to another state. But to do otherwise fails to recognize the nature of addiction and its cure."
here

Sure, you can skip this step. But you are facing an on again, off again affair for years and very likely a divorce.

Exposure 101

M
M
Renting out our house and moving is not an option. It may mean we have to work harder,and that's what we will do. I'm sorry but I completely disagree that we can't fix things while living here. I believe we can.

I am so sorry. frown Your marriage will not make it. You can disagree all you want, but you can't disagree with reality. I have been here for 14 years and have not seen a marriage recover where affairees remained neighbors. However, I have seen many, many affairs resume because the WS was perpetually triggered. Your husband can't ever withdraw with the OW living right there.

The motivation and the opportunity to resume the affair will always be there until you move.

Exposure 101

M
M
How to Survive an Affair chapter in HIS NEEDS, HER NEEDS
p. 177

...I have seen husbands build new and wonderful relationships with their wives but then go back to their lovers after five or six years of what appeared to be marital bliss. When I ask them why, they inevitably tell me they miss the woman terribly and still love her. At the same time they stoutly affirm they love their wives dearly and would not think of leaving them.

I believe a man like this has told the truth. He is hopelessly entangled and needs all the help possible to be kept away from his lover and stay faithful to his wife. I often recommend that a man once involved in an affair come in to see me every three to six months on an indefinite basis, just to talk about how things are going and to let me know how successfully he has stayed away from his lover. He must resign himself to a lifetime without her. He must certainly not work with his former lover and should probably live in some other city or state. Even with those restrictions the desire for her company persists...

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
I also would like to add that everyone in our neighborhood knows about the affair. I exposed it to them. We have a neighborhood fb page.

M
M
I also would like to add that everyone in our neighborhood knows about the affair. I exposed it to them. We have a neighborhood fb page.

I am so sorry. frown

Exposure 101

M
M
If your husband refuses to move, Dr. Harley would recommend that YOU move away yourself with the children to another city, state and go into Plan B, a dark separation. The goal is that when your husband is truly willing to move, he will follow you to the new safe place.

Staying there in the same neighborhood with the OW will a) make recovery impossible and b) will tear you down emotionally and physically living with her in close proximity. Every time you see her house or car will be a trigger for you. And it will certainly be a trigger for your husband and the OW.

You might want to email Dr. Harley and ask for his help in persuading your husband to get out of there.
Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com. When your email question is chosen to be answered on the radio show, you will be notified by email directing you to listen to the rebroadcast. If you would like to consider being a caller, include your telephone number. You will be called by us to explain the procedure to you. Every caller will receive a complementary book by Dr. Harley that addresses their question.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
I am not sorry that I informed everyone. She is a runner and is always with other women's husband's. I feel they deserved to know.

A
A
I am not sorry that I informed everyone. She is a runner and is always with other women's husband's. I feel they deserved to know.

You don't have to be sorry about that.

What is sorry is that obviously this is a close-knit area and being close is a danger.

M
M

I very much agree it was a smart thing to do. But it doesn't negate the need to move away.

Exposure 101

M
M

I am so sorry. frown

What I meant in this post is that I am sorry you have chosen not to move. I am not sorry you exposed the affair. That was a good move.

Exposure 101

B
B

I am so sorry. frown

What I meant in this post is that I am sorry you have chosen not to move. I am not sorry you exposed the affair. That was a good move.
HBL,

I really hope you will listen to Dr. Harley's advice on moving. We have seen countless couples struggle with recovery because they live in the same town/city (let alone the same neighborhood) that the AP does. Many of these posters don't feel that recovery starts until they've moved.

If you listen to the clip, the couple struggled with recovery because the WH lived a mile away from the OW. Dr. Harley recommends time and time again to move away from the AP.

Please do what you can to put your marriage first and get out of there.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
M
HB, there are always ways to figure out how to move. For example, if you can't sell your home, you could RENT it out and move away. There are many, many ways to skin that cat.

Exposure 101

M
M
We moved several states away after my wife's affair. It was essential to our recovery. It's not just the presence of the AP, which is a plenty good reason all by itself. It is the triggers, too. All of those reminders of the affair that leave you with no peace.

Having the OW in such close proximity with so many shared neighborhood connections leaves you no other choice. If you don't move, you might as well get divorced and save yourself the pain of a failed attempted recovery.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
H
OP Offline
H
My husband has said we can move if I want to. I will not move. My life is here. I moved away from here once before and I was extremely depressed, so my husband put a transfer in his job to move me back home. This other lady will not always be here, she has no family and barely any friends now. Her home is far away and I believe she will move when her lease is up. This has been my home town since I was in the 1st grade and I love it here.

M
M
My husband has said we can move if I want to. I will not move. My life is here. I moved away from here once before and I was extremely depressed, so my husband put a transfer in his job to move me back home. This other lady will not always be here, she has no family and barely any friends now. Her home is far away and I believe she will move when her lease is up. This has been my home town since I was in the 1st grade and I love it here.

That is certainly your choice not to move. You can choose your house over the marriage. I am just telling you that your marriage will not survive living in the same neighborhood with the OW. Will you be able to keep that house in a divorce? Those are the kinds of questions you should consider.

What you are trying to do is like sending the alcoholic into the bar to have drinks every day and hoping he can sober up because he is reading the Big Book. Unfortunately, the alcoholic never sobers up and has continual relapses.

See, in order for your marriage to survive, absolute no contact must take place, just as complete abstinence is the first step towards sobriety.

Exposure 101

M
M
It is up to you to choose your priorities. You won't be able to get everything you want. It is not possible to go back to life as it was before the affair. That is reality. You need to build a new marriage that is stronger and better than it ever was before. Your marriage will have to come first. If your house and friends come first, your marriage will not make it.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
R
R
It sucks that you are in this position.
Affairs create a mess. A mess.

Moving from the life you love sucks.

Life you love
or
The marriage (one that was jeapordized by lack of your spouse's boundaries)

B
B
I'm learning to control my emotions which was very hard for me. It's getting easier.

It wouldn't be easier to control your emotions if you keep living close to OW. You will never be able to relax or recover your marriage without lying to yourself. Do you know the homeowner of the house OW rents? Have you exposed to the homeowner and informed him/her that the entire neighborhood knows about this woman being a skank? If you're adamant about not moving, then you should at least try to get her to move. Until someone moves, this will be marital and triggerfest hell not recovery.

My husband is not against telling the girls about his affair, he's been reading and agrees that it will be best to tell them.

sigh This is taking forever. Are you going to tell them the truth or not?

Last edited by black_raven; 01/05/15 12:54 PM.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

H
OP Offline
H
The girls know.

S
S
When were they told, what were they told, and by whom?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
H
OP Offline
H
I told them and I just told them that daddy had an affair and explained what an affair is and I told them with who and they asked if they could still be Friends with the ow kids and I said no.

Last edited by HeartBrokenlost; 01/05/15 04:49 PM.
T
T
HBL, you did right.

TheRoad #2837653 01/07/15 03:36 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Things seem to be going good. We read together every night and he seems to be following through with things he says he'll do. We made plans for me to take over paying all the bills because he absolutely hates doing it. I just get nervous when things are going good because, I feel like there is still something lurking in the dark that will set is back to square 1.

F
F
Things seem to be going good. We read together every night and he seems to be following through with things he says he'll do. We made plans for me to take over paying all the bills because he absolutely hates doing it. I just get nervous when things are going good because, I feel like there is still something lurking in the dark that will set is back to square 1.

Do you mean something that hasn't been revealed yet about the past or something that might happen in the future?

Last edited by FightTheFight; 01/07/15 03:40 PM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
H
OP Offline
H
Something that hasn't been revealed yet. That seems to be the only thing that keeps happening.

F
F
I would schedule a polygraph with a reliable tester. What questions do want answered? I would make an appointment and when you do that, hand him a list of all your questions. Tell him he has 2 days to answer honestly and clear the air BEFORE the pg test. He won't know what questions they ask on the polygraph. Tell him you expect him to pass it

Have you considered doing this? How far did you get with it? Do you have concerns about doing it?

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
F
There is a good thread here about it and it also has some questions you might consider including in your own list :

Polygraph Testing

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
H
OP Offline
H
Actually I am still considering this. I need to look into the price.

M
M

This is an illusion that things are going good. Recovery of your marriage is impossible as long as the OW is your neighbor. I don't know how to convince you of this. But all of these "efforts" are a waste of your time because your marriage will not make it until complete and total no contact takes place.

Exposure 101

M
M
Something that hasn't been revealed yet. That seems to be the only thing that keeps happening.

You have a much bigger problem on the horizon. Focusing on this is a distraction.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
Ok, I don't know how to delete and remove everything off this thread or close it out but please be my guest. I am done talking on it and asking for help. I believe there is a great deal of information to help people but some of it is absolutely crazy. I will not lock my husband in a closet so no affair does ever happen again. I will not move away just to be unhappy and try and force my husband to love me and not have another affair. Some of these things that are being told are extremely unhealthy in a marriage! Yes my biggest pproblem was posting here and I'm done because obviously I will not get help from anyone until I move, which absolutely is not going to happen

M
M
Yes my biggest pproblem was posting here and I'm done because obviously I will not get help from anyone until I move, which absolutely is not going to happen

Please don't kill the messenger. I am TRYING to help you but you don't want to hear it. I am just telling you the truth. No one here is going to help you pretend you can recover your marriage while being a neighbor of the OW. You can't. I have been here for 14 years and cannot point to *ONE* marriage that ever made it under these conditions. But I can point to many, many marriages that did not make it because they did not heed this step.

Dr Harley is a clinical psychologist with 40 years experience specializing in infidelity and he says "recovery is impossible" unless all contact ends.

In order to go onto STEP TWO, you have to do STEP ONE. You have not done Step one. I won't help you pretend you have even begun recovery. You have not.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
We haven't had contact with her. She would always try and contact me because she wants my forgiveness. We don't even drive by her house anymore because they opened our entrance to the neighborhood. I don't believe anything that my husband and I are doing is for nothing. That's barbaric. She tried to do a Halloween party and the social committee shut it down and called it a home wreckers ball that will not be allowed. She will not live here much longer I believe.the affair was not a soul mate one, it was mainly talking about me and me not having sex. She was trying to convince my husband that I was having the affair. I have all the text and when you read them it sounds to me that they were both making up things to make it ok for them to be talking. My husband never meet her anywhere to have lunch or anything. He took her a birthday card with a iTunes gift card and put it on her car and that was it. I'm not downplaying the affair because it still hurts the same. I lost trust in him either way. I do believe I busted the affair before it got to meeting up part because she had asked him several times to work out with her. He never did.

M
M
We haven't had contact with her.

She is your neighbor - that is contact. Living right there by her keeps her top of mind and gives your husband every opportunity to resume his affair. It makes withdrawal impossible.

You cannot go to STEP TWO until STEP ONE is completed. I am sorry, but you can't argue with reality. Recovery is impossible. Don't shoot the messenger.

Exposure 101

F
F
HBL,

Melody is being hard on you about moving because no contact can't possibly take place in reality with the OW living so close. I know you've already decided that moving is off the table, but you should educate yourself on what you're up against. The psychology of this is all very real and predictable I'm afraid.

You're WAY underestimating how hard recovery really is. The easy part is ending the affair. You're looking at YEARS of work to fully recover from this.

Please go read this thread: False Recovery Stories

You're making more mistakes than just a move. The problem is you won't realize it until a year from now when everything seems to be going well.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
B
B
Originally Posted by black_raven
Do you know the homeowner of the house OW rents? Have you exposed to the homeowner and informed him/her that the entire neighborhood knows about this woman being a skank? If you're adamant about not moving, then you should at least try to get her to move. Until someone moves, this will be marital and triggerfest hell not recovery.

Can you answer this please.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

H
OP Offline
H
I do not know the home owner, but I do assume that they probably know, considering I did blast her affair to all the neighbors that have been here since the neighborhood has started.

M
M
Melody is being hard on you about moving because no contact can't possibly take place in reality with the OW living so close.

I just want to make the point that I am not being hard on her at all; I am being truthful and telling her exactly what Dr Harley tells people. Reality will be very hard on her when she finds her marriage does not recover because she lives by the OW. Some people have to lose everything to understand that.

Exposure 101

C
C
Dear HeartBrokenLost:

The very best case scenario is for you and your family to move away from the area.

Second best (and by a mile), is for the OW to move away from the area. It is only second best because you and he will still be triggered with memories while still living in the area. These memories will keep at you like stabbing pains. Your health will be affected, and it doesn't take long for this, either.

Worst case scenario is for you not to move, and the OW not to move. In that case, you and your husband cannot escape the constant reminder of the A, and there is never an opportunity to heal your badly injured marriage.

Additionally, it is very easy to the A to resume, if there is ANY form of contact. Especially if, as you indicate is the case here, the OW is a very determined pursuer.

You cannot see this in the state you are in, having sustained a major blow to your life's foundation (your marriage.)

When I came to MB, I, like you, believed some of the things I was advised to do here were unnecessary. I was wrong. And in the process, I set myself up for false recovery. Which is much, MUCH worse than the initial betrayal.

Please listen to the advise you are being given. Please give yourself, your marriage, and your family the chance you all need for recovery.

Me: BW, 57 fWH: 63 (Taffy1) Serial cheater
Presently on the Recovery Road, in the Online program.
I
I
I chose personal recovery and even divorce is not an option because you as a person will not recover living near her. You are in great pain and it doesn't stop until you are not looking over your shoulder and getting news about her.

We had a feisty and beloved poster who died young after enduring the drama of affairville instead of taking care of herself.

You can be happy anywhere.

It's sad that even after demonstrating he has no control with her you expect it.

It's AA with alcohol.

Last edited by indiegirl; 01/08/15 11:34 AM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

H
OP Offline
H
We're not doing personal recovery. We als o go to marriage counseling I know you guys are all against MC but him and I both love our counselor and she has helped very much. Neither him nor I have ever knew how a marriage is supposed to be and she works with us on that. We don't just sit and talk we Have activities we do in her office. It opens our eyes on why we have/do things.

H
OP Offline
H
My husband and I are not the type to follow one thing word for word. We do our research and do many things and take a little bit from each thing, then create a path that works for us. Just because it worked for you dosent mean it's right and will work for us.. I know myself better than anyone and moving is absolutely the wrong thing for me. I will not live with hate in my heart. I am a very forgiving person and I will forgive ow one day. I will not allow her actions to control the way I feel.

M
M
We're not doing personal recovery. We als o go to marriage counseling I know you guys are all against MC but him and I both love our counselor and she has helped very much. Neither him nor I have ever knew how a marriage is supposed to be and she works with us on that. We don't just sit and talk we Have activities we do in her office. It opens our eyes on why we have/do things.

If your counselor understands how to save marriages from infidelity, then he will be telling you to move at every session. If he doesn't, then he does not know what he is doing and is feeding the illusion that you are in recovery.

Persuading you to move should be kept on the front burner until you take action, because nothing else will save your marriage. You are on the sinking Titanic and are focusing on upgrading the curtains while the sink ships.

Exposure 101

catwhit #2837898 01/08/15 01:31 PM
F
F
Originally Posted by catwhit
When I came to MB, I, like you, believed some of the things I was advised to do here were unnecessary. I was wrong. And in the process, I set myself up for false recovery. Which is much, MUCH worse than the initial betrayal.

This is what I want you to hear. This is your biggest weakness right now!

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
F
If your counselor understands how to save marriages from infidelity, then he will be telling you to move at every session. If he doesn't, then he does not know what he is doing and is feeding the illusion that you are in recovery.

Persuading you to move should be kept on the front burner until you take action, because nothing else will save your marriage. You are on the sinking Titanic and are focusing on upgrading the curtains while the sink ships.

I think this is a topic you should perhaps explore some. Nobody says you have to agree, but it would be interesting to know exactly how the infidelity is being addressed if you're willing to share.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
H
OP Offline
H
Fight the fight I am NOT moving! There is absolutely nothing anyone can say to me to make me move. I know myself better than anyone and is moving is wrong! You can not choose the same path that everyone else chose And expect the same outcome.

H
OP Offline
H
She says alot of the same things that this site says. She has even mentioned moving but of course I shot that down and she dosent dwell on it. Instead she helps us learn to put the boundaries in place and helps us recognize Where we have trouble putting the boundaries.
She has opened my eyes alot on things.

I
I
My husband and I are not the type to follow one thing word for word. We do our research and do many things and take a little bit from each thing, then create a path that works for us. Just because it worked for you dosent mean it's right and will work for us.. I know myself better than anyone and moving is absolutely the wrong thing for me. I will not live with hate in my heart. I am a very forgiving person and I will forgive ow one day. I will not allow her actions to control the way I feel.

Pull the other one.

We've been Betrayed too. We know how you feel about her.

She's taken as much from you as she's ever going to get!

She's not taking your turf away from you too!

We all felt that way. But don't paint this as forgiving the unrepentant whore who is still gunning for you when it's actually a stubborn and senseless defense of the territory you feel she invaded.

You'll go down in flames rather than retreat strategically.

M
M

The person who only has experience wrecking marriages and has no education or experience saving marriages says:

Originally Posted by Heartborkenlost
"My husband and I are not the type to follow one thing word for word. We do our research and do many things and take a little bit from each thing, then create a path that works for us."

A clinical psychologist, with 40 years experience, author of Surviving of An Affair who has saved thousands of marriages says:
Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
"In spite of career sacrifices, friendships, and issues relating to children's schooling, I am adamant in recommending that there be no contact with a former lover for life. For many, that means a move to another state. But to do otherwise fails to recognize the nature of addiction and its cure." here

"The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. " here

Who is the most likely to "create a path" that will work for you? think

Exposure 101

F
F
Fight the fight I am NOT moving! There is absolutely nothing anyone can say to me to make me move. I know myself better than anyone and is moving is wrong! You can not choose the same path that everyone else chose And expect the same outcome.

Then what is your MC's plan for dealing with the infidelity? What boundaries?

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
B
B
I am a very forgiving person and I will forgive ow one day.

Is forgiving OW a topic of discussion with the MC?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

M
M
She says alot of the same things that this site says. She has even mentioned moving but of course I shot that down and she dosent dwell on it. Instead she helps us learn to put the boundaries in place and helps us recognize Where we have trouble putting the boundaries.
She has opened my eyes alot on things.

This is like "setting boundaries" for drunk driving. This is why Dr. Harley keeps issues like this on the front burner and will not move on to step two until you have completed step one. It just gives you the illusion that you are saving your marriage.

It is a good way to keep you coming and paying her for her services, but it won't save your marriage.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
I called her a whore in the beginning I no longer have that feeling and I call her by name now. I am sorry if you guys still have the hate in your heart because that dosent do anything but hurt you not the other person. You can not go on thinking because this path you chose to take helped you, so it will help everyone else. What exactly is the percentage rate of success with mb? I'm sure it's not 100% I'm sure it's low just like the rest. They all pretty much do the same thing.

F
F
What exactly is the percentage rate of success with mb? I'm sure it's not 100% I'm sure it's low just like the rest. They all pretty much do the same thing.

Hope it's OK to bring this up from the weekend forum. But I've actually seen this answered.

Originally Posted by AmorMovesMe
Dear Dr. Harley:

1. The success rate of traditional marital therapy is less than 25%. correct?

2. What is the success rate of MB? 70% to 80%? Does that success rate vary whether infidelity is involved or not?

3. Another marital therapist stated that roughly 1/3 of first marriages end in divorce, roughly 2/3 of second marriages end in divorce, and roughly 90% or third marriages. Is this correct?

4. Infidelity affects about 55% of marriages. Correct?

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
1. Correct. But there is a big difference between, "helplful" and "success." Very few report that the therapy actually solved their problem. About 25% report that it was merely helpful.

2. The success rate of MB is 100% of those where both spouses follow our program. Our program is to eliminate Love Busters, meet each other's top five emotional needs, and make all decisions with joint enthusiastic agreement. When a couples does that, they are in love and happily married. Joyce and I along with about 20% of all marrages follow those rules.

3. That sounds about right, but I have not seen any studies on that topic. If you know of a reference, let me know.

4. I would bump it up to 60%, but it's close.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
I called her a whore in the beginning I no longer have that feeling and I call her by name now. I am sorry if you guys still have the hate in your heart because that dosent do anything but hurt you not the other person. You can not go on thinking because this path you chose to take helped you, so it will help everyone else. What exactly is the percentage rate of success with mb? I'm sure it's not 100% I'm sure it's low just like the rest. They all pretty much do the same thing.

That is silly. You don't have to "forgive" someone to release hate.

Nor do you know the "path" for recovery. You have not recovered your marriage and we have. You are the fat person who is lecturing the thin, healthy people about how to recover a marriage.

What exactly is the percentage rate of success with mb? I'm sure it's not 100% I'm sure it's low just like the rest.

What is your percentage? Wouldn't it be 0%?

Exposure 101

I
I
I called her a whore in the beginning I no longer have that feeling and I call her by name now. I am sorry if you guys still have the hate in your heart because that dosent do anything but hurt you not the other person.

That's a pretty big assumption you're making.

I don't call the OW in my situation that name because I have no idea what she is up to these days. She may be a fully remorseful missionary.

If she is, it's because I did everything in my power to slay the evil that existed. I did not continue the turf war which would be an enormous temptation and red flag of challenge to any OW.

I am incredibly happy and free of resentment. Read my thread before you judge me.

Last edited by indiegirl; 01/08/15 01:53 PM.

M
M
I am adding an article about the success rate of Marriage Builders, however, I don't believe that means anything to you because you are opting for your own plan and you have a ZERO percent success rate.

Effective Marriage Counseling:

When I found that the model I've developed had helped over 90% of those I was counseling, I gave up my career as a college professor and started counseling full-time. At the time, I didn't assume that it would save all of the marriages it seemed to help, because I felt there were factors beyond a couple's control. But after 35 years of experience with this model, I'm not convinced that it works with 100% of couples who follow it. I've yet to witness one couple out of the tens of thousands I've seen, that did not experience a healthy and happy marriage by following this model. Personally, I feel it's the only answer to the question, how can a couple have a great marriage for life?

But it's very difficult to prove that one model of marital satisfaction is superior to another. The ultimate test is to randomly assign couples to various models and to measure their marital satisfaction after the provisions of each model have been implemented.

The training of therapists is a huge problem: How can we be sure that the therapist assigned to each model was properly trained? And there's also the problem of representation and random assignment: Does the group of volunteer couples represent the population at large? And is the assignment to treatment groups really random? There's also the ethical problem of assigning couples to a control group where they receive no effective treatment. When they divorce, does the researcher bear any responsibility? Finally, if someone who has a stake in the outcome does the research, it usually shows that their approach is best. Shouldn't studies of alternative models of marital satisfaction be conducted by those neutral to the outcome?

My own personal experience led me to the model I've been using for the past 35 years. But that's not proof of it's superiority over other models. What I need is objective studies conducted by those who have no bias that compare this model to others. That's hard to find even among those who have published hundreds of articles on martial therapy.

But I can direct you to three studies that support my enthusiasm. They all deal with my book, His Needs, Her Needs, the popular application of my model, and the effect it has on couples that read it.

The readers of Marriage Partnership Magazine were asked which self-help book on marriage helped their marriages the most. In that survey, His Needs, Her Needs came out on top. I didn't know that the survey was even being conducted, so when I called the editor after the results came in, I was curious to know more. He told me that it not only was the top choice, but it was far ahead of second place (Ron R. Lee. Best Books for a Better Marriage: Reader's Survey . Marriage Partnership Magazine, Spring 1998).

In a national survey that I sponsored, people were asked if any self-help book on marriage solved their marital problems. Out of 57 books that were read, only three were reported to have actually solved marital problems. The three were the Bible, James Dobson's Love for a Lifetime, and His Needs, Her Needs (Lynn Hanacek Gravel. Americans and Marriage: National Survey of US Adults. Barna Research Group, 2001).

Finally, five out of six couples that read His Needs Her Needs were found to experience significant improvement in marital satisfaction (Julie D. Braswell. The Impact of Reading a Self-Help Book on the Topic of Gender Differences on One's Perceived Quality of Marriage. Doctoral Dissertation, 1998, Azusa Pacific University.

Granted, these findings are not conclusive evidence that the model I use is superior to every other model of marital satisfaction. But when you find one that works for every couple that actually follows it, you have to be impressed. And coming as I did from almost zero effectiveness to almost complete success, I can't begin to tell you how convinced I am that it's the solution to a very difficult problem we face in our society.

Exposure 101

I
I
The name most certainly applies in your case though. She's not repentant at all.

M
M
HBL, if you are not going to use the Marriage Builders program, then why are you here wasting our time? Do you need our approval? I don't think you do. Just reject our advice and move on. There is no need to stay here and try to convince us. You don't need our approval.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
I am trying to delete my profile. I don't know how.

I
I
Just stop posting and it will sink.

B
B
I I am sorry if you guys still have the hate in your heart because that dosent do anything but hurt you not the other person.

WOW and thank you for the insult of what I must have in my heart when offering you help.

You can not go on thinking because this path you chose to take helped you, so it will help everyone else.

I am leaving this thread since you are so rude and adamant that your plan is the way to go. Go luck to you and your serial cheater husband.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

M
M
You can not go on thinking because this path you chose to take helped you, so it will help everyone else.

Is it okay if we go on thinking that 100% of the marriages we've seen here that deviated from this route failed? Or do you need to tell us what to think about our own experiences?

What exactly is the percentage rate of success with mb? I'm sure it's not 100% I'm sure it's low just like the rest.

100% of marriages I've seen here where a spouse maintained any sort of contact with a former affair partner failed.

They all pretty much do the same thing.

Not at all. One important difference between Marriage Builders and other programs is that MB creates or restores the feeling of romantic love. Most other counselors and programs teach that that feeling of being in love fades over time and you can't get it back.

Romantic Love: Is it a Realistic Goal for Marital Therapy?

There are a lot of other differences. Most programs teach some sort of stages of marriage where eventually you learn to lower your expectations and coexist independently, whereas Marriage Builders teaches you how to meet each other's expectations and be united and interdependent.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I am trying to delete my profile. I don't know how.

Why would a site allow that? Most message boards I've been on don't allow you to go delete important pieces of board history like that.

For example, Slashdot, which has been around since 1997, has this in its FAQ

http://slashdot.org/faq/index.shtml

How can I delete my account?

You can't. But don't sweat it; the unused accounts don't hurt anything.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
B
B
Please read Cutting Corners and the MB Program

Since you like to "research", did you read the false recovery thread?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
M
I know myself better than anyone and moving is absolutely the wrong thing for me. I will not live with hate in my heart.

I don't see what "hate in your heart" has to do with moving.

I also don't believe you can read minds and tell what is in people's hearts.

markos #2838002 01/08/15 06:00 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by markos
I know myself better than anyone and moving is absolutely the wrong thing for me. I will not live with hate in my heart.

I don't see what "hate in your heart" has to do with moving.

I also don't believe you can read minds and tell what is in people's hearts.
It's not the hate in you heart that is concerning to me. It is your head that is in the sand.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
F
F
HBL is under the impression that if she does not agree to move she will get no further help from this forum. If that the black and white of it?

I don't personally think she will ever agree to moving at this point. And that's pretty much all she hears. It's kind of frustrating for me because the deeper issue is she doesn't seem to see the reason why that's even being advised. At least I don't think she does. Even if she stands firm on her position not to move away it concerns me even more that she doesn't see the extreme importance of no contact at all. After all, even her own counselor has advised it.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
HBL is under the impression that if she does not agree to move she will get no further help from this forum. If that the black and white of it?

WE will help her, but it will all be focused on persuading her to move. The reason is because she can't move onto step two until she does does step one. Recovery is impossible unless she moves.

We can continue to discuss the reasons she has to move, though. That is not going to change. When the Titanic is sinking, you don't talk about the price of tea in China.

Exposure 101

I
I

I don't personally think she will ever agree to moving at this point. And that's pretty much all she hears. It's kind of frustrating for me because the deeper issue is she doesn't seem to see the reason why that's even being advised. At least I don't think she does. Even if she stands firm on her position not to move away it concerns me even more that she doesn't see the extreme importance of no contact at all. After all, even her own counselor has advised it.

Anything we advise is futile when resumption of the A is likely and her own triggers on hearing about OWs latest adventures are likely to keep her resentment alive.

Since she's done everything but move she shouldn't have any more problems unless living near OW causes problems....which of course it will.

If she thinks she's done everything necessary to create happiness then what else does she needs help with? All should be ticketyboo.

TBH, who among us accepted every part of the plan first go around? We all failed to follow one part and some of us paid dearly but learned truly.

She can come back whenever she sees a problem with Plan HBL. If she's truly fortunate the next sickening discovery will fall short of OW becoming the kids stepmother and a nasty, expensive divorce.

I don't see how she is to avoid another Dday though. Perhaps if her own betrayal triggers inspire her to move first.

I've always felt they are a survival mechanism.

M
M
How do you save someone who refuses to leave a sinking ship? There is no future for the marriage if there in even the slightest contact between the affair partners. The decision to move was already made by her husband when he started his affair. Making a choice between her marriage and her home might not seem fair to her, but that is reality. How can we advise differently?

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
F
F
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Anything we advise is futile when resumption of the A is likely and her own triggers on hearing about OWs latest adventures are likely to keep her resentment alive.

Since she's done everything but move she shouldn't have any more problems unless living near OW causes problems....which of course it will.

If she thinks she's done everything necessary to create happiness then what else does she needs help with? All should be ticketyboo.

TBH, who among us accepted every part of the plan first go around? We all failed to follow one part and some of us paid dearly but learned truly.

She can come back whenever she sees a problem with Plan HBL. If she's truly fortunate the next sickening discovery will fall short of OW becoming the kids stepmother and a nasty, expensive divorce.

I don't see how she is to avoid another Dday though. Perhaps if her own betrayal triggers inspire her to move first.

I always like your posts indiegirl.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
F
I'll just make one more reply to this thread. It's a quote from another thread actually but it kind of sums up my thoughts. I took the liberty of changing one word.

CV, what you mis-perceive as posters reliving something anger/hate is actually the reaction one would have watching a person sit on the railroad tracks while the train is coming at him. Would it be realistic to sit by quietly and say some cute, calm words while a fellow human being sits on the RR tracks completely unaware that a train is headed his way?

Because that is usually the case with most BS's when they show up here. Most are being gaslighted by their WS's and they WANT to believe that everything really is ok. When we tell them "no, no, it is not ok!!! it is a trick!!" They sometimes get mad. They just don't believe what is headed their way. [at first - they almost always get it soon enough, but sometimes soon is too late] They are in shock and don't WANT to believe it. But, their survival depends on them WAKING UP AND GETTING OFF THE TRAIN TRACKS.

Now, when some poor deluded BS gets angry because we point out the train headed towards them does a caring person stop yelling at them to GET OFF THE TRACK or does a caring person ply them with some cute, enabling words?

I am not forthright because I am reliving anything, I am forthright and urgent because I SEE WHAT IS COMING IF THEY DON'T GET UP. The longer you are around here, the more apparent the signs will be and the less willing you are to sit by quietly while the train comes for that person.

My issue is that my human decency will not allow me to sit there when I see a train headed for my fellow human being. Now, if they refuse to listen after I have warned them, that is another thing. I cannot force someone to listen to me. But when someone doesn't listen, I will tell you honestly that I GRIEVE INSIDE FOR THEM. It is painful to watch someone sit there while the train rolls over them.

Lack of grace? Maybe. I have been accused of much worse. But be assured it has nothing to do with reliving something anger/hate, it has everything to do with simple human decency.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
I
I
Originally Posted by indiegirl

I always like your posts indiegirl.

I like your willingness to help others too.

S
S
I called her a whore in the beginning I no longer have that feeling and I call her by name now. I am sorry if you guys still have the hate in your heart because that dosent do anything but hurt you not the other person. You can not go on thinking because this path you chose to take helped you, so it will help everyone else.

Nobody told you that in order to follow MB that you needed to call the OW a whore and hate her. That is simply a manipulation on your part to dismiss the advice you are getting here by implying such a thing.

This isn't rocket science. The OW poses a threat to your M. Your WH cannot be around her ever again without endangering your M. The OW being a neighbor means that you do not have "NO CONTACT" implemented.

Not only does Dr Harley stress the importance of this, but those of us who have read and posted here on the forums for any length of time know without a doubt this is true. We see folks come back over and over again saying "You were right".

Nobody is going to pat you on the back and tell you what you want to hear - when we know what the end result is going to be. A marriage that does not recover.

You can ignore the advice and that is fine but please do not attack posters by telling them they have "hate" in their heart. That is pretty rude after all the time and effort people put into trying to help you!

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
SusieQ #2838151 01/09/15 03:52 PM
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation