Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
S
So this is what you mean by EPs being in place:

Originally Posted by ThePhoenix
Her contact information is being changed and blocks have been in place for his numbers and IM's.

Same town, she has agreed to take extrodinary precautions to ensure their paths don't cross since he should never be near her job and she shouldn't need to go to that section of town. Many people want him out of the orgainization over this, so there may be pressure for him to leave. All of our friends know he can never be at the same social event as us or her. Which shouldn't be an issue because we plan on spending most our social time with other couples we are close to who support excommunicating him from our lives.
So, the EPs that you've agreed upon to protect the marriage amount to:

He has no need to go near her job;

She has promised not to go near that section of town (where he lives);

Your friends are pressuring him to leave the organisation;

You won't go to social events where you know he'll be.

Good grief - I don't remember reading any of those in the Surviving an Affair, or anything that suggested that they are in any way adequate.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
J
J
I thought something was odd when this poster was writing exclusively about UA time when people in recovery are facing challenges like changes jobs, moving, etc while having UA time.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
It seems like you believe you can recover without really making any changes. Please do not make the mistake of believing you will be "different" and get away with this. I have been here for 14 years and know you are headed for disaster.

Half measures will avail you nothing, I assure you. Take that from the queen of corner cutting.

I don't believe I will be different, I know you feel I am cutting corners and doing half measures and since I respect your opinion I am not going argue the point with you. I am doing my best to follow the steps here and will continue to work hard.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by SugarCane
When was the last time you had any form of contact with OM?

For me its been a few days in passing, no conversation or anything like that we just happened to be occupying the same space at the same time.

When was the last time your wife did (including seeing him in the neighbourhood)?

Back in Feb. while we were out at some place having dinner him and his girlfriend walked into the place we were at, they turned around and left.

S
S
It seems like you believe you can recover without really making any changes. Please do not make the mistake of believing you will be "different" and get away with this. I have been here for 14 years and know you are headed for disaster.

Half measures will avail you nothing, I assure you. Take that from the queen of corner cutting.

I don't believe I will be different, I know you feel I am cutting corners and doing half measures and since I respect your opinion I am not going argue the point with you. I am doing my best to follow the steps here and will continue to work hard.
That's just empty double-speak - are you a politician? You haven't address the points at all.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
When was the last time your wife did (including seeing him in the neighbourhood)?

Back in Feb. while we were out at some place having dinner him and his girlfriend walked into the place we were at, they turned around and left.
How do you know that was her last time?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
When was the last time you had any form of contact with OM?

For me its been a few days in passing, no conversation or anything like that we just happened to be occupying the same space at the same time.
The "same space" being a meeting of your organisation?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Gamma
Phoenix,

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this the second affair your WW had with the same OM???

I can't gage how deeply addicted your WW is to this OM, but it sounds like it's a powerful attachment. Does your WW post here?

Was the OM exposed at the organization you are both a part of?

Gamma

You are correct, this was the resumption of a previous affair. No she doesn't post here. Yes he was exposed at the organization and it didn't go well for save for a few of his drinking buddies.

M
M

My friend, I don't "feel" any such thing. I KNOW you are cutting corners. You have skipped right over STEP ONE, so that is not doing your best to follow the steps.

Unless that step is followed, there is no hope here. You already know it doesn't work because you have been at this for YEARS. Your marriage has been hit by a car playing chicken and you are still running out in the road. The solution is to get out of the road, not to pretend like you have become a better chicken player.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
J

Nonsense. I am willing to post further on this thread when you get serious about following Dr. Harleys methods.
Until that time, good luck with your own plan. Hopefully you'll have better success than last time.

M
M
[

This is only what you know about. Every time your wife sees him, his car, his home, her feelings for him are triggered. Every time her feelings are triggered the risk of the affair resuming skyrockets. It is only a matter of time before this happens, if it even ended at all. This is the reason why her affair continued on from 2011.

You have a gun to your head and are playing Russian roulette with your marriage and your life. You just keep pulling the trigger.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
When your wife resumes her affair - if it ever ended - you will be the LAST PERSON who is informed. This is like sending the "recovering" alcoholic into the bar every day, pretending she is sober while taking her "word" that she doesn't take a drink. It is only a matter of time before she takes the drink.

Exposure 101

M
M
ThePhoenix, it is frustrating when we are more serious about your marriage than you are. I guarantee that you will never recover this way. Your wife will stay in a state of perpetual withdrawal and you are facing an on again, off again affair. If not with this dirtbag, another one. The REASON? As long as her boyfriend is hanging around the fringes, she will remain in the fog.

I also don't believe you are being completely forthright with us about your relationship with your wife. Since she is FOGGED OUT, I seriously doubt she is engaging in recovery.

Exposure 101

T
OP Offline
T
I think that your finding this site this time has not made a difference. You are still avoiding facing up to the reality of this affair, and what it would take to end it.

The fact that is is the same OM from 2011 has been missed in the volume of posts. In fact, it is highly likely that the affair never ended in 2011, and what you found in 2014 was simply evidence of its continuing. I don't think you have the slightest idea of what you are up against with a WW who has had a long-term affair, has fallen in love, has contemplated leaving you for this man and who still has easy access to him. The probability is that this affair hasn't ended even today, and your wife and OM are in regular contact, and are regularly having sex. Your children are nearly all off your hands, and it is likely that your wife has been staying in the marriage because she does not want to leave while her youngest is still in school. But this man is now divorced and thus free, and the likelihood is that she is waiting for that child to get a bit older, and then she can leave you for OM.

What do you really know about the ending of the 2011 affair? What made you think it had ended at the time? Apart from your wife telling you she wouldn't see OM any more, what steps were taking to make contact impossible? It sounds as if you did not move then, and you maintained your membership of this organisation - so all you had to go on was her word.

How were you "controlling and demanding" after you discovered that affair, and how do you see that as a mistake? It seems to me as if you were not controlling or demanding enough, since you were unable to bring about any changes that meant your wife ending contact with OM. Please describe what you mean about being "controlling and demanding".

And now today, you are still making mistakes about ending the affair, despite having found this site. It seems that you refuse to follow Dr Harley's advice for ending an affair, and you are choosing to take your own path, which means allowing your wife to work in close proximity to OM's home, and remaining in the organisation that you "cannot leave" (which is nonsense, in a free country).

You are prioritising other things over saving your marriage, such as keeping your child in the local school, not suffering a financial loss on the house price, and fulfilling your obligation to some organisation. What about your obligation to protect your children from divorce?

You are not facing up to the fact that this affair never ended in 2011, your wife is in love with OM and she is waiting for your youngest child to get a bit older so that she can leave you. If you don't move away, leave the organisation and ensure NC right now, it will be too late by the time you do decide you can move. By then, your wife will have decided that she has been a good wife and mother for long enough, and now it is her time to find happiness - and she will leave you for OM.

There are lot of posts here, trying to keep up and sorry if I miss answering something, but since this one seems like the most significant I�ll try to answer these.

I have been honest about it being a resumption of a previous affair, it just seems to have slipped though the volume of posts. I can have lots of confidence it ended in 2011 because shortly after after I discovered the affair I was contemplating divorce and almost went through with it, but she was hospitalized for a major illness at that time and while nursing her back to health I rediscovered I loved this woman. We moved forward very well for a period of time and there was no contact, I had no reason for suspicion although I did investigate regularly and found no evidence. My biggest failure was no exposure, followed by not moving at that time when we would have been in a position to do so.

I was controlling and demanding in regards to using the affair as an excuse to get her to do things and go places by throwing it up in her face as an "you owe me� kind of thing for allowing you to still be my wife. I turned into a very bitter and nasty person over the last 2 years, to the point where recently my daughter commented to me she thought we were going to get divorced and is very glad to see us at the place we are at now. I can pinpoint when this affair resumed last year and had been battling it for months before coming here and learning of Dr. Harley�s approach.

I am following the advice and doing many of the steps, my wife works in the town in which we live and it isn�t in close proximity to his home, he does live in the same down but on the other side and there is no need for him to come near our house or her work or her to head over there. There is no accounted for time and there has complete transparency that I have been able to validate through snooping.

I am trying not to devastate myself financially, I know many here feel that is a penalty that must be paid for such an affair.

This past Dec/Jan when everything was exposed she was ready to leave me and almost did, but she stayed because of me following plan A. So I know you will say that I choose to hold there because I got what I wanted and I am cherry picking the advice. Trust me we are working through the steps, just not at the preferred speed.

Your last paragraph indicates that in your opinion based on dealing with others who do what I am doing that it will leave me devastated as she leaves me in the future. I can tell you this she has come out of the fog and sees him a very different person, a very unlikeable one than the one she was having the affair with. I am sure you will tell me she is telling me what I want to hear.

True I can leave the organization right now, but that doesn�t change the fact of us all living in the same town, however there is no need for her to be there and she isn't. The move would only get us out of town she will also need to change jobs and that is in progress. However, since our daughter will be working with her over the summer no change will happen until Sept. which is the right time to change jobs her her line of work, because that is when companies are hiring.

I need to head off and will try to catch up on the rest of the posts later.

M
M
[ am trying not to devastate myself financially, I know many here feel that is a penalty that must be paid for such an affair.

We most certainly do not believe any such thing. We believe that moving will prevent you from suffering the 'penalty" of a repeat affair and a divorce. You will quickly bounce back from any financial effect from moving. You will NEVER bounce back from affair #3. No amount of money can compensate for an affair. It is not MONEY that affects quality of life in the greatest way, but the quality of your marriage.

Many, many of us have moved at great financial loss and we did not suffer a "penalty." We live in PEACE and have wonderful marriages. We live lifestyles where we don't have to endure a fogged out wayward or face constant reminders of the OP. "Penalty?" NO WAY. That is like saying that quitting smoking is a "penalty" and ignoring the enormous benefits.

So I know you will say that I choose to hold there because I got what I wanted and I am cherry picking the advice. Trust me we are working through the steps, just not at the preferred speed.

This has absolutely nothing to do with a "preferred speed" and it concerns me when I see you pettifogging the issue. The issue is that you have not taken STEP ONE. Step one is to end all contact for life with the OM. You have not even started on that step.

You still see him because you place some organization above your marriage and your wife still sees him around because you live in a small town. She cant possibly end contact when she may drive past him next week. Every time she sees him her feelings will be triggered.

Your last paragraph indicates that in your opinion based on dealing with others who do what I am doing that it will leave me devastated as she leaves me in the future. I can tell you this she has come out of the fog and sees him a very different person, a very unlikeable one than the one she was having the affair with. I am sure you will tell me she is telling me what I want to hear.

I am sure that your fog is very deep to have written this. It just tells us that you have no earthly idea of the threat you face. Your wife is very addicted to the OM and there is NO WAY she is out of the fog since she still sees him around.

True I can leave the organization right now, but that doesn�t change the fact of us all living in the same town, however there is no need for her to be there and she isn't. The move would only get us out of town she will also need to change jobs and that is in progress. However, since our daughter will be working with her over the summer no change will happen until Sept. which is the right time to change jobs her her line of work, because that is when companies are hiring.

More excuses to not take STEP ONE. Everything else comes before your marriage, which will prevent you from recovery. You can't move because your daughter all be working with her over the summer?

Are you serious?

No, you are not serious. This post just demonstrates what I posted above: we are more serious about this than you are.

Exposure 101

P
P
We have had significant discussions on this topic and currently we are not in a financial position to move at this time, we have put a plan in place to be able to move in the future. In the meantime extraordinary care precautions have been agreed to and are being followed.
Please do not claim to have extraordinary precautions in place when the very basic ones are left undone.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Consider this:

All of your compromises that you are making believing that they are in the best global interest of your marriage - preserving finances or whatever, will someday all count against you. This is because any concern, no matter how valid you think it is, reflects lack of care when placed before the marriage. So, you had better steel yourself for the future revelation that your WW believes it is all your fault, because you never really cared about her. You are proving your lack of care by continuing the enabling of her affair, and by failing to take decisive and bold steps that prove she really matters to you.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
P
P

You will never recover when you are constantly looking over your shoulder and focusing on ways to avoid spotting the OM.

It only serves to keep the affair and the OM in BOTH of your minds.

That is not how a marriage recovers.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

S
S
I was controlling and demanding in regards to using the affair as an excuse to get her to do things and go places by throwing it up in her face as an "you owe me� kind of thing for allowing you to still be my wife. I turned into a very bitter and nasty person over the last 2 years, to the point where recently my daughter commented to me she thought we were going to get divorced and is very glad to see us at the place we are at now. I can pinpoint when this affair resumed last year and had been battling it for months before coming here and learning of Dr. Harley�s approach.

Wrong!!

This is an issue I spoke to Dr Harley about personally and he told me SPECIFICALLY that the "conditions" have more to do cheater having an affair vs lack of needs being met or BS commiting lovebusters etc.

Do NOT twist Dr Harley's "approach" to tailor your OWN recovery plan.

I have heard him suggest a move for FAR LESS problems in a recovery than you have in yours.

Regardless of what your WW may tell you she IS in love with the OM and she IS addicted to him. That is why she has not been able to stay away from him in the past and you have been dealing with an on again/off again affair since 2011. Not because you were being "demanding".

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
T
T
Phoenix,

"True I can leave the organization right now, but that doesn�t change the fact of us all living in the same town, however there is no need for her to be there and she isn't"

Then, why don't you resign. Is this membership more important your marriage because of your self-aggrandizement from being a member?

Based on your comments, you seem to prefer to attempt to maintain an idyllic middle-class life rather than address the serious threat to your marriage and family. The price to you is that you've lost your W to her OM for the last 4 years. Your way has worked find so far, Right? Why not subscribe to MB advice and see what a difference it may make. I don't believe your W has recommitted to your marriage at all - I think she's simply skilled at snowing you to keep you out of her affair.

Tom

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 457 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation