Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
1) We dated for 4 months, got to know each other over the course of a year
2) We're teens (under 18)
3) His reason for dumping me was that he just wasn't ready for a relationship, but he said that we could still be friends
4) He seemed VERY INTO ME until one week prior to the break up, when he was a little less physically affectionate and didn't see me quite as often (but that could be because of parental intervention--see 9).
5) Up until MINUTES before the break up he texted me ALL throughout the day (as he always did after we started dating) asking about my opinions, interests, what I was up to, giving me updates about his life, saying good night, etc.
6) I was recovering from surgery... so maybe he just texted all the time because he felt bad for me? We discussed many other things beyond how I was recovering though
7) He bought me flowers about a week before the break up due to my injury
8) He always kept up with doing me little favors/being a gentleman
9) One of his parents (who he is VERY close to/who he allows to control nearly his ENTIRE life) made it clear they did not like him dating. They wouldn't allow us to be completely alone together.
10) He is very passive (conflict avoider) and aims to please his parents first and foremost
11) I was his first gf. As far as I know he hasn't dated in the months since.
12) I said I couldn't be friends for a while because I didn't trust him. He sent the last text saying he was sorry, and neither one of us has initiated contact since.
13) After, he didn't help me with my injury, but acted like a polite stranger up until last month. Now, he acts like I don't exist.
14) I've actively avoided him, making sure he was uninvited from a gathering of mutual friends.
15) When people ask his best friend what happened, the friend says it just "kind of faded"/"ran its course"
16) Due to mutual religious beliefs, we weren't sexual

Why do you think he broke up with me? You can vote A (he got bored with me), B (he wasn't ready for a relationship), or C (his parent made him end it). Thank you so much!!

M
M
I choose option D: ask him since he is the only person who knows. Obviously, we are the wrong people to ask because we would not know the answer.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
I choose option D also.

May I ask how it would help you to know what a bunch of strangers on the Internet think his reasons were? Do you seriously think this can be of help to you? If so, how?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
L
L
Dr. Harley recommends that single people date at least 30 different people to get a sense of what they like in the opposite sex.

You are under 18 years of age, so you will have several, perhaps many, romantic relationships until you marry the one you decide is the best for you.

I strongly recommend you read the book "Buyers, Renters, and Freeloaders," by Dr. Harley. The book explains what a person should be looking for in a good marriage partner and how relationships work in general. Here's a good thread on the subject in the meantime -- Buyers, Renters, and Freeloaders Thread

You are wise, very wise indeed, to avoid getting involved sexually with anyone other than the man you marry. I'm sure you will hear, and have heard, that it's not realistic to avoid sex outside of marriage, but it certainly is possible and will help you think much more clearly about the relationship, not to mention that you will also avoid a worse heartbreak, possible diseases, and unwanted pregnancy.

Try listening the MB radio show, too, to get some insight. The Harleys discuss their dating relationship frequently on the show. Joyce often broke up with Dr. Harley and they each dated many others. They were teens when they met and young when they married and have been in love with each other ever since.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
A
A
I just want to mention your (numerous) complaints about his parents - you are both teens. It is respectful that he takes his parent's opinions seriously. Your comments might have been the catalyst to him realizing this wasn't going to be worth continuing. Mutual values are critical to the free dating period.

S
OP Offline
S
^Do you think that was the primary cause of the breakup?

A
A
No idea.

You guys are teenagers, relationships fall apart for no reason or 100 reasons.

I know easier said than done, bit it isn't worth worrying about.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,071 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation