Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
B
She needs to get her anger under control.

Have you listened to these clips? Will she get help for her anger?
Anger Management 101

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

I
I
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by Burned13
She was exposed to her family. Her Mom Dad and Sister all know about it. I decided I did not want my family to find out and have life long resentment towards her. Seeing how bad emotionally things get when the guilt hits her hard usually when we talked about it. Like I said near nervous break down type extreme emotional reactions.

That might not be a bad thing. I would suggest that she is a big girl and can handle this. It doesn't help her one bit to protect her from the consequences of her affair. As the mother of a 31 year old married son, I would not appreciate being left out of a such a serious event in my son's life.

Not sure, though, why you assume they would have "lifelong resentment?" Most family members just want to see you treated well.

Why don't you ask her to tell them?

You'll never recover without this step. By assuming this would be a lifetime issue you make it one and sentence her to a lifetime of secrecy and shame.

I agree about the drinking and partying. Those are conditions which make everyone stupid. It's only for people without responsibilities like marriage.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

B
B
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by Burned13
She was exposed to her family. Her Mom Dad and Sister all know about it. I decided I did not want my family to find out and have life long resentment towards her. Seeing how bad emotionally things get when the guilt hits her hard usually when we talked about it. Like I said near nervous break down type extreme emotional reactions.

That might not be a bad thing. I would suggest that she is a big girl and can handle this. It doesn't help her one bit to protect her from the consequences of her affair. As the mother of a 31 year old married son, I would not appreciate being left out of a such a serious event in my son's life.

Not sure, though, why you assume they would have "lifelong resentment?" Most family members just want to see you treated well.

Why don't you ask her to tell them?

You'll never recover without this step. By assuming this would be a lifetime issue you make it one and sentence her to a lifetime of secrecy and shame.

I agree about the drinking and partying. Those are conditions which make everyone stupid. It's only for people without responsibilities like marriage.
And Dr. Harley states that all conditions that allowed the affair must be changed. So she needs to quit drinking.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

I
I
I was particularly apprehensive about exposing to my family as I thought a) definitely lifetime grudge and b) probable violence from my very protective dad. I still don't understand how he never got an [censored] kicking from my father!

I was surprised at the wonderful and rather sensible reaction from all - their reaction was close to mine. They wanted us to stay together but also see reassurances. Except for my dad.

My father gave me money to go buy garbage bags for his stuff and said he would never lay eyes on him again. He was very upset that I was considering recovery - my spouse was unremorseful at this stage to boot.

I just rode out the storm reiterating that I had high standards and that I would secure my future.

My exWH never did come round but my father did. He believes utterly in MB and feels if xWH had followed the checklist he would have become a SIL to be proud of.

I got my father to come round to the MB plan even with a totally unremorseful spouse!

Don't deprive your wife of the chance to prove herself and move on honestly and honourably. Don't keep her stalled. Don't decide she is nothing more than a skeleton in a closet.

Do you think she doesn't have it in her to inspire faith? One of the reasons your faith is shaky is because you are doing this alone without support!

Maybe, like my ex, she doesn't have it in her. That's why exposure is such an important test. She's a big girl and it's in her capabilities to be remorseful and demonstrate change.

Last edited by indiegirl; 01/31/15 08:37 AM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 867 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
daveamec, janyline, Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya
71,833 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation