Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 50 of 68 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 67 68
N
N
Tomorrow is March. What's wrong with just ignoring the question for a few days and letting him know your intentions by serving him with the papers?

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
N
N
Oops, not tomorrow but the next day...:)

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
P
OP Offline
P
End of March--the 21st.

Me: 38, have been divorced for 4 years
N
N
Hmmm. Three weeks...I'll defer to others on that. A week wouldn't be such a big deal. Can you just blow it off and see if he asks again?

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
A
A
If I were in your shoes, I would not agree to the post-nup if it would complicate divorce proceedings. I would just file. It's odd to me that he hasn't, but then again my WW didn't file either. She just wanted to make life very difficult for me until I did.

Either way you (like me) don't seem to want to play the game of waiting forever for WS to come out of the fog. I'd ignore whatever he wants and file ASAP.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
B
B
Originally Posted by PigletWiglet
Should my lawyer just straight up tell him that I want to file for divorce in March?

No she should not mention anything about your intention to file. You can just ignore him about the post nup. I wouldn't respond.

If I remember correctly there was language in the post-nup about you not having any future claims on his writings...I don't think you would anyway since this would be a future event but maybe that is why he is on the post-nup wagon again. Or he's just trying to talk to you about something just for the sake of contact. Whatever his motives, I would not sign anything and I wouldn't waste money paying the lawyer to talk to him either.

Have you found a local attorney yet?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
L
L
Originally Posted by axslinger85
If I were in your shoes, I would not agree to the post-nup if it would complicate divorce proceedings. I would just file. It's odd to me that he hasn't, but then again my WW didn't file either. She just wanted to make life very difficult for me until I did.

My WH asked for a post-nup just to spin out the process. After two years of back and forth negotiations I signed it and then filed for divorce. I am still waiting for my share of the division of marital assets laid out in the contract we both signed. The document turned out to be useless. He is in contempt of court but that does not seem to bother him. He is even trying to grab my house via the appellate process.

I agree with Axe, file as soon you are permitted to do so if you know you want a divorce. Give him nothing until the divorce is final so that you have as many bargaining chips as you need in case he tries anything on over your child. He knows that is his strongest weapon and no doubt will try to use it at some stage.

Don't mess with Piglet :-)

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
P
OP Offline
P
My lawyer has been trying to stall since January actually.

I hate the idea of a divorce, but I hate being married but not married even more. Yeah, I live 500 miles away. He doesn't seem to have any plans to move or reconcile, so we should definitely file at this point.

A
A
but I hate being married but not married even more.

I totally get this, I feel the same way. I decided I wasn't going to continue giving the best years of my life to someone who isn't going to even try to have a relationship of extraordinary care.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
P
OP Offline
P
^ Bingo! It's just a waste of time at this point. We have only been married 5 years and I'd like to have more kids (but who knows if that will happen).

He isn't even pretending to care and I live 500 miles away...so what's the point?

P
OP Offline
P
I need to change his weekend Skype call to Saturday. This is something he requested a month ago, but I just sat on it. Now it has become more convenient for me to do it on that day. OK for my IM to pass along?

I
I
Anything that's good for you is OK. That's what your IM is for.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

P
OP Offline
P
It was fine until he asked why and my IM told him. I told her it was fine, but it not give details next time.

P
OP Offline
P
My lawyer is proposing that as a compromise to my husband's sweeping non-disparagement language, we put in language that states "one parent won't disparage the other to the child or allow a third party to do so."

What do you guys think? On the one hand, I think this is fine since I don't disparage him to her. On the other, I am afraid he'll use this to say that I am "emotionally damaging" her for telling her the truth.

N
N
What is it with waywards and "non-disparagement" clauses? I'd like to see the advice on this, too. My lawyer is proposing removal, but he said they probably won't agree.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
P
OP Offline
P
This is like a normal thing in parenting agreements--but is limited to only talking about the parent to the child. On the one hand, it's fine. It's in line with MB principles. I don't say anything bad about him to her. HOWEVER, I will not shield her from her reality. She already knows in terms she can understand that he left because he is pursuing a relationship outside of marriage.

My lawyer would never agree to the sweeping non-disparagement clause that says I can't tell anyone anything. That is just dumb. They just want to shield themselves from the truth.

N
N
Interesting. We don't have kids, but the clause they've proposed is general and sweeping.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
B
B
This is like a normal thing in parenting agreements--but is limited to only talking about the parent to the child. On the one hand, it's fine. It's in line with MB principles. I don't say anything bad about him to her. HOWEVER, I will not shield her from her reality. She already knows in terms she can understand that he left because he is pursuing a relationship outside of marriage.

I don't think such a clause is a big deal. After the divorce, you don't want to be talking about your ex anyway so to some degree it helps keep a person from letting him/herself go there...KWIM? There are still ways to talk to a child without disparaging an ex...and it helps children develop critical thinking skills.

I don't have such a clause in my decree but I do have the exclusive right to the moral and religious training of my children. If something like infidelity or lying is discussed, I don't bring up my ex but the kids know he cheated and lied. I'm not going to lie to them either. Consider getting something worded in there about moral guidance. Kids will figure stuff out and don't have to be literally told...hey your're mom/dad is an ^%%$#@ or whatever.

The burden of proof to prove disparaging remarks would be on him too. Unless a parent is putting stuff in writing to the child, calling the other parent names, etc it is difficult to prove. The parent would have to file contempt. The cost of going to court probably outweights the slap on the wrist or warning that the other parent would get. It would have to be an over-the-top situation to enforce this IMO.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
P
OP Offline
P
Got it BR.

I'll take your advice. I've gotten worked up over these things in the past, but it hasn't been worth it. Your advice has been good.

I
I
I think it's something that looks very appealing to a wayward on first sighting - but it's probably of most benefit to the betrayed spouse.

I'm thinking of a friend who never knew about his mother's affair which broke up his parents as babies. He had to listen to his mother constantly berating his father for imagined faults growing up. He was mystified given that his father was in a happy second marriage.

Given that you won't be talking to your H or about your H (and won't even have any idea if he later reforms). Any information you give her about affairs will be factual - and I presume you will also warn her that anyone can fall prey to affairs. You'd also be encouraging her to talk to her dad about any concerns.

I would just ask your lawyer if this will in any way debar you from telling your daughter factual truths.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

Page 50 of 68 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 67 68

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ian T, SadNewYorker, 1 invisible), 1,073 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation