Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 29 1 2 25 26 27 28 29
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Love that stuff, I'm all over vitamin e oil. I also use olive, argan and sweet almond oil on my face too. Not often just now and then. One of my fave, more regular things is L'Occitane's Shea butter scrub but I put it on as a mask in the shower.

Very cool. I'm all about unrefined Shea butter for light moisturizing!

Originally Posted by luna_alpha
Indie, I could do the clothes thing. I don't like owning a whole lot, but the stuff I do have I want to look great and be high quality. What sort of thing does a man with high PA for clothes want in a woman's outfits? I know you just have one data point there - but more info is more info.

I wear dresses a lot and he really likes that, but he likes my jeans too because I'll dress them up with a blazer etc. He likes the fact I wear bright colours like my red flats or an emerald skirt.

I wear lots of vintage because I'm an hourglass shape so I buy wiggle dresses and pencil skirts. He reaally likes that. I use a tailor for both vintage and mainstream clothes - and that's my ultimate tip. Clothes should fit you, not the other way round.

I'm doing a wardrobe sort out using my new book by BBC vintage queen Dawn O'Porter.

I do need a good tailor. I have a long coat that I love but it needs a new lining - the old one is shredded.

That sounds like a bet. What do you have in mind?

My bet is that you're going to be up to your ears in men. Actually panicked that you can't choose.

I say we wager a posh mascara!

You're on! To be fair, this has to be after school when I have time to put myself on the market, ahem. Only ten weeks more and I'll have all the time in the world (or at least a lot more).

L
OP Offline
L
How to get brutal with your wardrobe (by Dawn O'Porter.)

1 Open up your wardrobe.
2. Take out all the things you wear all the time and put them in a pile (lets call it Gary).
3. Take out the things you love but haven't worn in ages. Put them on Gary.
4. Take out the things you like the idea of but have never worn. This is a second pile - lets call it Dave.
5. What's left in your wardrobe is what you chuck. Get them into a bag and off to one side.
6. Go back to Dave, try on all the things you think you love but have never worn and make some brutal decisions.
7. Be honest with yourself and realistic as to why its unworn. Are the reasons likely to change soon?
8. Pop all your rejects into a bin bag and take it to the local charity shop.
9 You don't have to name the bin bag.

I think she's full of really good tips which work for non vintage shopping too because the current fashion is always a recyc of something that's gone before.

Very cool. You don't know how excited I was to see that since I've already done a huge purge ("The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up") and now ONLY have clothes that I love. The wardrobe is a bit light - but colors that don't flatter, old things, icky things, things that made me feel bad are all gone. The only criteria is does it bring me joy. There was one beautiful red dress that I loved, but the waist was too high so I always had these weird feelings of 'this could be perfect but this one thing is not right and bothers me...'. Gone. Done with that. Things fit (as you said) or they are not in my keep pile.

I'm going through the list, in the order she says too. I've done clothes, books and now am on papers. It is so helpful, because my papers are all mixed in with mementos and photos. So now I'm like "nope, into a box with all the other photos (or mementos) and I'll deal with you LATER". So useful, and is keeping me from getting stuck.

Making room, making room, making room....

Last edited by luna_alpha; 04/03/15 07:52 PM.
M
M
Maybe it'll be a MAC verses Sephora show down... which one is better? Bring some of my science background into it and turn it into a research project. wink

both!!!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

A
A
And what good tips! I like Bobby Brown concealer, but the foundation makes my skin feel crawly. The minerals might be the right way to go. I really do want something to even out my skin tone. That is what makes me feel the oldest, honestly.

What is a French Shellac?

Shellac is long lasting nail polish - you can Google it... And I meant French manicure - white tips and nude nails - it looks very simple and very chic. You will love your nails! smile

Obviously, you need to try all to find what works for you and, what your skin likes...If something feels uncomfortable on your skin, too heavy, or too greasy, or too dry - just know, it's not your type of product.

I, for example, have allergy for most of Dior skincare range - though the quality is good but just not for me.

M
M
Originally Posted by Aerith
[

I, for example, have allergy for most of Dior skincare range - though the quality is good but just not for me.

Thats interesting because I have sensitive skin and can't tolerate most foundations but I can tolerate Dior. I really loved Estee Lauder double wear, for example, but it really irritated my skin.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
J
I sometimes rub animal blood on my forehead for the "awesome warrior look" when I go out looking for a date.
Or sometimes, I rub charcoal on my face to look like Mad Max after walking away from an explosion effect.

I have sensitive skin but it doesn't bother it too much.
Have you tried either of these methods?

M
M
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
I sometimes rub animal blood on my forehead for the "awesome warrior look" when I go out looking for a date.
Or sometimes, I rub charcoal on my face to look like Mad Max after walking away from an explosion effect.

Get off our thread!!!! twoxfour

Exposure 101

M
M
"animal blood" indeed! Nooo

Exposure 101

A
A

rotflmao

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
L
OP Offline
L

Haha - I actually do like the charcoal look, which is good because somehow my eye liner slipped and today I looked slightly racoon-ish when I walked out of the shoot. Or maybe it was the mascara - wee bit mortifying! Lol!

I
I

Lol, it's all war paint !

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

P
P
Part of my need for physical attractiveness in a man is that he looks like a prehistoric hunter-gatherer doing some sort of ritual right of passage, so Jedi Knight might be on to something.

Me: 38, have been divorced for 4 years
M
M
Originally Posted by PigletWiglet
Part of my need for physical attractiveness in a man is that he looks like a prehistoric hunter-gatherer doing some sort of ritual right of passage, so Jedi Knight might be on to something.
Given the "hunter-gatherer" reference, the need for domestic support is being addressed, too.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by mrEureka
Originally Posted by PigletWiglet
Given the "hunter-gatherer" reference, the need for domestic support is being addressed, too.

Agreed!

L
OP Offline
L
Oh boy, feeling some anxiety here. My mom has offered to let me go back to the midwest (big city) and live in the top floor of her house for free as long as I watch the place over the winters while they are snow birds. She is also a bit depressed and I think wants me there... she is married, but her husband might be overwhelmed. I've helped in the past.

First off, the winters. I was just getting used to CA and no snow!

Second, I'm afraid of going backwards career wise. It is a big place, with a top notch theater presence, movies being made and a little TV, but it isn't LA. Of course it also isn't LA in that I wouldn't have to worry about a career that may not pay for years, while also juggling a $1200 rent on a tiny studio.

If I go back, I can just work on my pilot specs, features specs for contests, produce a play in the annual Fringe Festival and probably shoot (produce and direct) a feature I wrote within two years. I've already got the locations locked down and they can be the hardest. I am a good producer - I know that. The last short I produced, I got the comment from someone that it was the most organized set they had ever been on.

There are also improv classes, and a school I went to that I could revisit for more directing and producing experience.

Someone said to go back and spend two years preparing to return to LA with some serious credentials under my belt. I think that's a good idea. But I'm still anxious about going back there and somehow losing my drive. I guess that's up to me.

Also anxious about going back to the land of more women to men ratio. It's a hard place to date. Maybe it will be easier with the better understanding of MB principles.

There is a group of writers there I do miss and could see weekly.

So lots of changes, lots of good things, but also the challenges of not being defined by work/school schedule and having to be the source of all motivation. I know people would be grateful for that opportunity, so I'm calling it a self-funded (family-funded?) fellowship. The guy who wrote Little Miss Sunshine gave himself an 18 month fellowship and wrote a bunch of scripts during that downtime. So it can be done.

Last edited by luna_alpha; 04/10/15 10:53 AM. Reason: typos
J
J
If you aren't financially solvent with no debt and six months of income in the bank, it may be a wise move to go rent free.

L
OP Offline
L
I am semi-retired actually. No debts, and retirement saving mostly done. I just have to pay my current bills, which I keep low. Thank goodness I refused to pay xH's wanted 30k a year tuition and spend two to five more years supporting him. Boy was he mad about that.

I told him to get a loan in his name if was so important to him. Apparently it wasn't.

Last edited by luna_alpha; 04/11/15 05:19 PM. Reason: typos...
L
OP Offline
L
Went to a wonderful director's guild open house yesterday for students. It reenforced my thoughts that the most important thing for me to do right now is to produce things.

One of the guest speakers and I made a lot of eye contact at the networking lunch, but I didn't chase him in anyway. Now, in hindsight, I actually have a few questions that I would have liked to ask, but sometimes I'm slow in that way, usually preferring to glean information from other people's discussions.

Also took a personality quiz. I am INTJ - pretty rare, but especially in a woman - and the way my mind was whirled the last five days it is clearly right on. I have a compulsion when it comes to strategizing. Feels weird to do so now, since after five years of planning for two (mostly for him, I'm afraid) it is back to just me. Anyway, one site said my type can be bad at relationships and the best way to attract someone is to do the things I like to do. Makes sense. Plus this ups the chances they have the same interests and there would be less hard work making our lives compatible. So in a weird way, making a movie is my way of putting myself out there in the dating scene.

There is a screenwriting meeting next week all day. I'm playing with the idea of wearing a dress and seeing if the male reactions change. I have *one* dress that I like, although the only shoes I have for it are more along the combat boot style, but not that extreme. It would be a unique look.

Speaking of PA, the hair is finally growing out after falling out in the efforts to have a child (long story). It is also used to water only washing at last - curly and soft, instead of frizzy and wavy from product buildup. The best of both worlds - simple and cheap, and it looks amazing. It's naturally curly, so it has to grow quite long to look long. If someone has a specific attraction to curls, I'm the woman for that.

N
Online Content
N
Luna, it is so good to hear you doing so well! My mom told me something similar, to go back to for my Master's to meet a man interested in doing things with his life, but I was so impatient! Good for you for making plans that are truly in your best interests.

My DD has unmanageable curly hair, is it really as simple as that, use water only? How often?

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Luna, it is so good to hear you doing so well! My mom told me something similar, to go back to for my Master's to meet a man interested in doing things with his life, but I was so impatient! Good for you for making plans that are truly in your best interests.
It helps that I have a natural interest in this. Perhaps the master's degree topic was just not the right one...

Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
My DD has unmanageable curly hair, is it really as simple as that, use water only? How often?

The water only has been good for me. My scalp was so sensitive to almost anything.

There is a transition period where your hair learns to make less oil and it can be, um, not so pretty, i.e. you have to be willing to look a little greasy. I found it took about two months total. There is an initial down turn of oil, then a period where there is stuff caked on your scalp and then that goes away too.

Right now I rinse it with cool water every 3-7 days and let it get damp (not too wet) on other days. I let it dry with clips on the roots for a little lift, using a cool blow dryer and diffuser if I'm in a hurry. You can rub the scalp gently with finger tips or a bone comb before getting in the shower to loosen the dead skin.

It won't be slick, like when you use product, so don't try to comb it when wet. Let it dry first. You can then finger comb it right before the next rinse to detangle and pull out the loose strands. I find most of my loose hairs come out that way and very little in the shower.

You can also finger comb it when dry if you just want to loose up the curls a little bit. I have an eleven tooth 'bone' comb, but rarely use it. My fingers are my main tool.

You can jump start the process by rinsing with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar diluted into two cups of cool water. Try to not get it on the scalp - it made mine itchy. It strips oils, as well as product residue so don't do this a lot. Curly hair tends to be dry and needs all the natural oils it can get.

Some people put a tiny bit of coconut oil on damp ends in the beginning to combat dryness.

There are lots of water only blogs about this. Google "water only washing" and "curly hair" and you'll find people talking about this and posting pictures to go along with it.

My hair does not smell. I know sometimes people wonder about that.

Page 27 of 29 1 2 25 26 27 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (NewEveryDay), 1,357 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation