Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
A
A
Originally Posted by LatefortheSky
That's great but it is more important to find out if the proven cheater is at it again. Why don't we find out if the known tramp is acting up before we kill her husband.

What an ironic post. crazy

Because we're more concerned about whether the known "threaten to kill her in front of their children" abusive husband has made any serious efforts to make himself safe to a wife we advised to leave him out of grave concern for her safety and that of their children.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
A
A
PC,

I'm sorry to hear you have been handed divorce papers. And I do understand your concern about your wife having an affair. I'm sure you have triggers like the rest of us BSes that are setting off alarms because they take you back to her first affair in your mind.

BUT

It's also possible that what has happened is what everyone here was warning the both of your would happen if you did not stay separated long enough for you to be able to change destructive habits and behaviors.

It's true that your wife has cheated before, but what's also true is that you tend to minimize and dismiss what is very alarming behavior to your wife and the rest of us.

Your wife is human and reading in your post the only concern I see in your words is that this is her fault. This makes me think that you may have simply pushed her past her limits.

Sorry to be harsh but it's difficult to read you say "I have been doing everything I have been told" because that is not even slightly true. The two of you would not even be living together right now if you had any serious intentions of following the advice given here. You have cherry picked what advice you would even acknowledge here from the very beginning.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
I
I
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Originally Posted by ProChoice
Thank you happyheart for actually posting back. I think it is unfair.
I think she is having an affair because she is acting exactly like she did when she had one. She started avoiding me last week, so I left her alone until I saw she was ignoring me more and more and walking away from me when I walked close to her. She did exactly that 5 years ago, except that 5 years ago, i went after her and moved to an entirely new country, leaving my job and parents behind. I never suspected an affair then, because we were together 24/7 yet she was in full affair. Now she has more reasons. we are no longer together all day. she has access to unlimited computers at the University AND because she is the only female in her research group.
You keep ignoring everyone's question about this.

Are you in anger management? Have you found an anger management program?

That's great but it is more important to find out if the proven cheater is at it again. Why don't we find out if the known tramp is acting up before we kill her husband.

L, Dr Hs first priority is to eliminate lovebusters. If your spouse is cheating it's even more important you don't pour oil on fire.

An angry person is an insane person incapable of resolving or checking on marital problems. Infidelity (if there is any) requires a cool head.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

H
H
Prochoice,

How have things been going since you have reconciled?
Have you tried and/or succeeded in removing the love busters from your repertoire?

for your wife, you have been a very difficult person to live with. You have told us, that you have continued to punish your wife in the past, while she was practictically begging you for forgiveness and some crumbs of love.
In your quest for justice (that is not effective, because you cannot change the past), you have been abusive and the two of you were separated. You have reconciled hastily, although it was recommended that you wait until you had absolved anger management and practised to have a positive relationship with your wife without love busters.

The difficult point in your relationship is, that your wife has been starved for kindness and love for a long long time. It is clear that you have been meaning to punish her, because you wanted to even out the things that have been hurtful to you in your perception. The downside from that is showing now:
1. you have been getting angrier instead of more loving during the course of that "punishment"
2. your wife is more starved for love and affection than ever before.

Good boundaries to people of the opposite sex are necessary in a good relationship. But if you are starved for some of the most important emotional needs at home, it is much harder not to react to little acts of kindness that are part of normal human interaction at work.

I am not sure she is having an affair at work. The other possibility could be, that there have been more love busters than you are even aware of. Or, the love bank deposits may not have been enough to even out the events of the past. If her love bank has been so low and you have scared her in the past, that in itself may have been enough to have her think about divorce, when there is no solution (in her opninion) in sight.

Please think about the events of the past months and about the things you could have done better. I really hope that you have slipped up here and there (which is human), because that gives you the possibility to change something yourself. Whereas if she decides to divorce, while you have been a perfect husband, there would not be much you can do.

Do not focus on her behaviour right now. Just look at your own possibilities to make positive changes. If you cannot come up with things to improve at the moment, think about things people tell you who are angry with you. Friends or enemies who are angry give us valuable information about our shortcomings, because they are honest in those moments. At other times they will be too polite to tell you the things which unnerve them about you.

Focus on your strength in making yourself take the high road.

me, DH
all the children
L
L
Originally Posted by SugarCane
So, how are things between you and Trueform, Late?

My bad. I'm still very hypersensitive to WS's and FWS's blaming BS's for their behavior. Things are OK and improving with time.

S
S
My bad. I'm still very hypersensitive to WS's and FWS's blaming BS's for their behavior.
Did you see the FWS doing that? If so, where?

If you're prepared to refer to her as a "known tramp", that is how you must refer to your wife, also.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
L
L
Originally Posted by SugarCane
My bad. I'm still very hypersensitive to WS's and FWS's blaming BS's for their behavior.
Did you see the FWS doing that? If so, where?

If you're prepared to refer to her as a "known tramp", that is how you must refer to your wife, also.

Your right and I apologize for that and for distracting the thread.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by happyheart
Prochoice,

Please think about the events of the past months and about the things you could have done better.

I realized what it was, and I made things right. We are back in the game.

I was being honest with her to my opinion about us. I enjoy her company so much, and love being around her, but I am not in love with her, and nor she is in love with me. That is obvious. That truth is what kicked her off limits. And she has kept asking me about it, so I was more honest. I don't think we ever loved each other. We were best friends and had great times together, and there was no one in the world I would have rather been with than her, but it wasn't love, and she got upset at the truth. If we had loved each other, we wouldn't have hurt each other.
I told her she was attracted to her ex, she would always glance at him during class, and she is attracted to him now and her heart beat would start if she saw him, just as I am attracted to my ex.

I won't get into those conversations, which is an honest way to get her thoughts and mine out calmly. It's not bringing up the affair. Its being honest about our feelings.

I have been loving and kind and have shifted my AO away. DJ, some are there, she has kept writing them down. So we are good to go now.

Last edited by ProChoice; 06/01/15 01:12 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
You keep ignoring everyone's question about this.

Are you in anger management? Have you found an anger management program?

I have completed anger management in the past. I chose not to apply it before, and I chose to apply it now. I am calmer than ever and calmer than her actually.

H
H
I realized what it was, and I made things right. We are back in the game.

I was being honest with her to my opinion about us. I enjoy her company so much, and love being around her, but I am not in love with her, and nor she is in love with me. That is obvious. That truth is what kicked her off limits. And she has kept asking me about it, so I was more honest. I don't think we ever loved each other. We were best friends and had great times together, and there was no one in the world I would have rather been with than her, but it wasn't love, and she got upset at the truth. If we had loved each other, we wouldn't have hurt each other.
I told her she was attracted to her ex, she would always glance at him during class, and she is attracted to him now and her heart beat would start if she saw him, just as I am attracted to my ex.

I won't get into those conversations, which is an honest way to get her thoughts and mine out calmly. It's not bringing up the affair. Its being honest about our feelings.

I have been loving and kind and have shifted my AO away. DJ, some are there, she has kept writing them down. So we are good to go now.

You are right that conversations like that will only lose love units on both sides. It really is only a discussion about your and her definition of "love" or "in love" and will not bring you closer together. Although it is obvious to you that you hurt her by bringing it up, it is probably hurting your own healing, happiness and mindset more than you know.

It is very good that you have decided to implement anger management rigorously. Allthough you are making good progress by sheer determination, it will take longer to change your brain circuits. After having implemented anger management diligently, the goal is to put the energy that went into anger (your reptile brain) in the past, to your intelligent problem solving part of the brain. To make this automatic takes months at least and there will certainly be times where you are tempted.

You have a lot to win by having a happy life with your wife, not a merely mediocre life. If you have the financial resources, wouldn't it be an option to counsel with the Harley's? They could assist you in staying on track, because in a family with children and jobs, there are always things that happen unexpectedly and can throw you of course somewhat.

I assume it would be in your best interest, if you could leave these stressful times behind and not deal with the hassle of (almost) divorce and its unfortunate effect on you and the girls.
Once you are thoroughly happy together, your whole life will be easier.

me, DH
all the children
H
H
Prochoice,

how are the two of you doing?
Are you keeping up the quality management of your relationship by asking your wife for feedback on things that will fill her love bank, or will lose love units?

How is your anger management doing? Everyday stresses can throw the best plans off track. Do you have a plan in case you are having setbacks? Changing brain hardware is hard work and can be frustrating, especially in the beginning.

Are the two of you applying undivided attention? And what do you do? Have you found activities that you both enjoy?

How are you doing in refraining from love busters? It must be difficult, because there was a longer period where these had become a habit. Have you asked your wife if she has complaints and do you have the impression that she feels safe giving you honest feedback?

me, DH
all the children
P
OP Offline
P
How is your anger management
not good. I have felt too much pressure and I just unintentionally exploded last night.

Are the two of you applying undivided attention? And what do you do? Have you found activities that you both enjoy?
that has never been a problem. She likes everything. I am actually concerned she finds me boring because I have a limited list but I have taken her to the rollercoaster already because she always wanted to. I am sort of weird. I don't like to be where there are too many people around, where its too hot, or where walking is involved. I only like to be home. So its only dinner for me and her list was huge, I turned all of them down, so I replaced it by setting candles at home, putting petals in the bath tub and staging our patio. She said its fine but I always have in mind she is actually bored not telling me.

How are you doing in refraining from love busters?
doing better, but We had an episode last night. I am on hold and was checking if she had posted. I realized late I had snapped.

P
P
Are you in an actual anger management program?
Are you using Dr. Harley's relaxation training exercises?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Prisca
Are you in an actual anger management program?
Are you using Dr. Harley's relaxation training exercises?

Completed AM in the past and yes doing relaxation exercises. You see, avoiding getting angry is a conscious decision for me to apply relaxation. And it was working under smaller non consecutive issues.
Since I last had posted before, I went the entire month planning daily how to make my wife feel loved and in the month we stumbled upon cases such as she scratched another car, she was late, she forgot to turn off the oven, she got a speeding ticket and did not tell me about it ( I know because I have my ways - private ways), and in regular circumstances I would have gotten mad in the past and I didn't. I consciously changed the focus in my brain and thought about my plans for home improvements, which lifts me up thinking of a better home. And it was working.
Now, she forgot to call the babysitter on time, and I didn't get mad, I went out to relax and get some intake food, and when I returned the house was flooded. I hadn't fully relaxed yet and now walk into water and upon this situation, I had no time to relax before I talked. I asked her what had happened and she said that she would clean it. That was not my question and the water situation already had gotten me mad, her answer was a DJ. She is telling me "you dont need to know because i will clean it". So out of anger I told her she was an awful careless wife, and mother and that I had faked loving her all this tome and least she could do was answer and I asked again and she didn't answer and went into the bathroom to clean, so I followed her and I closed the door and locked it and said answer me. She looked away and I lost myself and grabbed her towards the wall by force and then I remembered and said I didn't want this to ever happen again. why did you push me to my limits? And i walked away to calm down. when I came back, the house was clean and she was locked in the room again and a letter explanation how the house got flooded... she had left the bathtub water running by The usual... She forgot. So, all my past month has been useless and we are back to zero?
I forgot to relax that day.

P
OP Offline
P
You see my relaxation thought was house improvement and walking into a flooded house also blocked my relaxation thought.

P
OP Offline
P
And BTW this is the first post I am not minimizing what happened.

P
OP Offline
P
Other than the advise to separate, which sleeping in separate rooms and not talking is anyways, what should I do if she doesn't want to tslk to me anymore again. Should I pursue or leave her alone for a while?

P
P
Now, she forgot to call the babysitter on time, and I didn't get mad, I went out to relax and get some intake food, and when I returned the house was flooded. I hadn't fully relaxed yet and now walk into water and upon this situation, I had no time to relax before I talked.
Yes you did have time. But you made the decision to stay and talk before you were relaxed.

I asked her what had happened and she said that she would clean it. That was not my question and the water situation already had gotten me mad,
Wait a minute, what made you mad?
What MADE you mad?
Hint: It wasn't the water situation, and it definitely wasn't your wife.

her answer was a DJ. She is telling me "you dont need to know because i will clean it".
Sooooo .... that gave you the right to punish her?

So out of anger I told her she was an awful careless wife, and mother and that I had faked loving her all this tome and least she could do was answer and I asked again and she didn't answer and went into the bathroom to clean, so I followed her and I closed the door and locked it and said answer me. She looked away and I lost myself and grabbed her towards the wall by force and then I remembered and said I didn't want this to ever happen again.
As long as you reserve the right to respond this way when you face a frustrating situation, your wife will never be safe.

why did you push me to my limits?
You are still blaming your wife for only what YOU can control. She didn't push you to your limits. She didn't make you have an AO. You, and you alone, chose to go down that path.

So, all my past month has been useless and we are back to zero?

Yep. And don't you dare blame her for that.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
You see my relaxation thought was house improvement and walking into a flooded house also blocked my relaxation thought.

You need to improve your relaxation exercises. Follow what Dr. Harley advises here:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
So the best way to control an angry outburst, or a panic attack, is to reduce the adrenaline in your bloodstream. While there are many dietary and medical ways to help achieve that objective, or prevent it from happening in the first place, one of the simplest approaches to control your emotional reactions is to learn to relax, and to be able to do it almost instantly. Effective relaxation techniques can be learned within a few days if they are practiced often enough. And if they are practiced while thinking about some of your most frustrating situations, you prepare yourself for effective negotiation.

Just as you might prepare for a marathon, by training your body to run ever-longer distances, you can train your brain to approach frustrating situations with intelligence rather than emotion. Every frustrating situation you find yourself in is a training opportunity. By relaxing instead of attacking (or fleeing), you create an opportunity to approach the situation with thoughtfulness.

While most of us know if we're tense or relaxed, some people find it helpful to use some form of biofeedback to help them quantify their efforts. A simple galvanic response meter can do the trick and they can be purchased on Amazon for between $50 and $100. A CD often accompanies the meter that teaches relaxation techniques. The GSR2 Biofeedback Relaxation System with CD by Bio-Medical Instruments, Inc. is about $75.

The purpose of relaxation training using a biofeedback meter is to learn to relax under conditions of high stress. At first, you simply learn to raise and lower the meter by changing your thoughts. Think of an unpleasant stressful situation, and the meter rises; think of a pleasant non-stressful situation, and the meter lowers. After you can manipulate the meter by simply thinking stressful and non-stressful thoughts, your next challenge is to keep the meter low even when thinking about a stressful situation. You do that by deliberately relaxing every muscle in your body, thereby flushing out all of the adrenaline. With practice, your relaxation can be demonstrated on the biofeedback meter in a matter of seconds.

When you have mastered relaxation while alone, the next challenge is to keep the biofeedback meter low when you discuss a problem with your spouse. At first, you may think that all of your training doesn't work when applied to real-life situations. But with some practice, you will be just as successful with your spouse present as you were while alone.
Note that you should be working up to being able to think of stressful situations while being able to control the adrenaline.

Do you own a GSR meter? Do you practice with it daily?

Also, read the Angry Outburst chapter in Lovebusters again.

Last edited by Prisca; 06/29/15 10:49 AM.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

A
A
If you can't keep your hands off your wife, you need to leave the house. It isn't safe for her to be there with you.

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 698 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation