Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 25 1 2 23 24 25
E
E
I like Obsession for men and Tommy (love when kiss uses it!)

W
W
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
Gray Flannel!
Is that on the AOM list of drugstore colognes?
Might have been the Dollar Store! If it works I don't care!! laugh

Me 59 newly married after being a widow
Married 1 year
J
J
The Art of Manliness posted an article on Facebook Today about RED FLAGS IN RELATIONSHIPS:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/01/31/relationship-red-flags/

J
J
I found a way to get a date: Calling cards!

Which ones would Dr. Harley recommend? Have any posters had luck with these?

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/...ng-cards-guaranteed-to-score-you-a-date/

M
M
I found a way to get a date: Calling cards!

Which ones would Dr. Harley recommend? Have any posters had luck with these?

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/...ng-cards-guaranteed-to-score-you-a-date/

rotflol - these are a hoot! I guess this is how they did it before Facebook pokes and whatever they do on dating sites nowadays.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
J
J
Im watching Fort Apache, and calling cards are featured in the first half of the movie

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Going to get more in-depth later this week when I'm off work (Thursday or so) - but this little bit here is going to set the theme;

In the clip, Steve Paulson interviews Donovan Campbell, currently an author and business executive and also a veteran of three combat deployments � two in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. In 2004, Campbell was serving as a Marine platoon leader at the beginning of the insurgency in Ramadi. His platoon saw a ton of combat, and half of his unit would eventually be wounded. Campbell pledged to get all his men home alive, but during an attack, one of Campbell�s men was killed. Paulson and Campbell revisit an interview they did four years ago about the tragic incident, and Campbell speaks about meeting the killed Marine�s mother, and apologizing to her for failing to bring her son home. He speaks stirringly about how a leader must take responsibility, even if he�s not directly to blame for something:

�I still own my responsibility in the failure to bring him home. It may not have been my fault, but it was my responsibility. I was the leader and there was only one person to look to, when you, for everything that your men do or fail to do, and that�s the leader�That�s the right mentality to have, even though you may err on the side of carrying too much weight. Particularly as I�ve seen leadership as applied in, well, at least in my context in the business world, I think that the Marines get it right, and they got it right by teaching me from the get-go that hey, it is your job as a leader to accept responsibility, that�s what you do, particularly to accept responsibility for failure. And when you�re given these forty young men, we�re going to tell you your life is no longer about yourself, it�s about taking care of them and achieving your mission. That�s a, I realize now that that�s a rare philosophy, and that�s a rare leadership model. We say that life is not about you anymore. The minute you pin on the rank, and the minute you accept that paycheck, you accept responsibility and you accept a commitment to something greater than yourself. And I think that applies just as much now as it did then.�

"It may have not been my fault, but it was my responsibility... even though you may err on the side of carrying too much weight... your life is no longer about you... the minute you pin that rank, the minute you cash that paycheck you accept responsibility and you accept commitment to something greater than yourself..."

Restated; "The moment you put that ring on your finger, you accept responsibility and you accept committment to something greater than yourself."

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/03/24/manvotional-leadership-and-responsibility/

Correlated quote for the faithful;

�The key to understanding masculinity is Jesus Christ. Jesus was tough with religious blockheads, false teachers, the proud, and bullies. Jesus was tender with women, children, and those who were suffering or humble. Additionally, Jesus took responsibility for Himself. He worked a job for the first thirty years of His life, swinging a hammer as a carpenter. He also took responsibility for us on the cross, where He substituted Himself and died in our place for our sins. My sins are my fault, not Jesus'fault, but Jesus has made them His responsibility. This is the essence of the gospel, the "good news". If you understand this, it will change how you view masculinity.�

― Mark Driscoll, Real Marriage: The Truth About Sex, Friendship, and Life Together

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
H
OP Offline
H
�At times it seems as if arranging to have no commitment of any kind to anyone would be a special freedom. But in fact the whole idea works in reverse. The most deadly commitment of all is to be committed only to one's self. Some come to realize this after they are in the nursing home.�
― John D. MacDonald, The Lonely Silver Rain

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
T
T
Im watching Fort Apache, and calling cards are featured in the first half of the movie

Great movie. I liked the calling card scene.

Though I think today's women would be suspicious of a man using a calling card today. Though how many of those cards would get thrown away after we are out of sight?

Oh, those poor trees that ended their lives prematurely just so we can pursue women.

J
J
For the past couple weeks ive returned to the cold showers and its a good way to start the morning.
Art of Manliness wrote an article about cold showers and even James Bond took them.
is anyone else taking them?

J
J
Oh and for the past few months ive been using Brylocream for morning hair styling.
It works great and is endorsed in an Art of Manliness article.
what is everyone else using for morning hair styling?

M
M
The secret to masculinity isn't found in articles. It is found at the hardware store. Real men have lots of tools. The more obscure the tool, the better. I have a special tool for truing floor joists. Now, that's manly!

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
J
J
That is very true.
I have lots of tools.
do you have a Rigid 300 pipe threading machine? That's very masculine.

J
JBD Offline
J
Cant go wrong with a conduit bender. Looks GREAT on the ol' pegboard!

M
M
That is very true.
I have lots of tools.
do you have a Rigid 300 pipe threading machine? That's very masculine.
I don't have that. But I have a 33 gallon air compressor and a complete set of impact sockets.

I plan jobs around the tools I can acquire. My wife wants a utility sink put in the laundry room. This may be the way I get that $150 PEX universal crimping tool I've been eyeing for awhile.

When we moved from the suburbs to the woods, I was able to finagle a chain saw out of the deal.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
J
J
I think the ultimate maker of masculinity is the Brut cologne though.
I've noticed that women literally grab onto me and fight to hold on as I walk down the street after splashing Brut on.

J
JBD Offline
J
Cologne over a CHAIN-SAW? Well....OK, I can see it!

J
J
Originally Posted by JBD
Cologne over a CHAIN-SAW? Well....OK, I can see it!

II tried this at the bar last night. I walked in, sat my chainsaw (covered with Brut) on the bar counter and ordered a drink.....well women started flocking to me. I needed some air and went outside. When I walked back in, I realized it wasn't me the women were after...it was the chainsaw! They were kissing it and talking to it and spending their child support money buying drinks for it.

Chainsaws and Brut are a powerful attractant for sure.

Page 25 of 25 1 2 23 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 514 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation