Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
B
Originally Posted by PieceMakers
Really, I just wondered how likely it was that a serial cheat would ever recover.

No one has given a testimony of one that has. (Well other than early retirement, which would be hard at 40 in the States) So, I guess I call an attorney tomorrow.

You should consult an attorney regardless of what you decide so you can make informed decisions. If you do end up filing for divorce (now or later), you should cite the adultery in your divorce petition or introduce it in some form should you not be able to cite it outright. It can make a difference even in no fault states or when a lawyer says otherwise. It is always better to put it in from the beginning. Your WH would also be less likely to fight you if he knows you will expose more in legal proceedings.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
L
L
Originally Posted by black_raven
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Doesn't add up. A serial cheat is only interested in casual hookups and attention. He doesn't fall in love and therefore wouldn't dream of leaving his family. This guy has left after a very long running affair for love or for pressure from OW.

That is not always true Indie. My serial cheating ex was not like that and there have been other serial cheaters mentioned on the forum over the years that don't fit that mold either.

My serial cheater did it for the rush of the chase but after many years of a SSL, he got emotionally involved. She was 45, fat and desperate. Hey, accidents happen even to serial cheaters dramaqueen

But Indie may be right, worth investigating to see if this is a single long term relationship that he is hiding. Definitely easier to recover from that.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
B
B
Originally Posted by living_well
She was 45, fat and desperate.

This sounds like a bad country song. laugh

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
L
L

Oh she was also a felon, we need that in the song too. They deserved one another, pity he dumped her really.

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
T
T

Oh she was also a felon, we need that in the song too. They deserved one another, pity he dumped her really.

"A mean, low-life felon, an overripe melon..."

S
S
Really, I just wondered how likely it was that a serial cheat would ever recover.

No one has given a testimony of one that has. (Well other than early retirement, which would be hard at 40 in the States) So, I guess I call an attorney tomorrow.

Huh?

Nobody said that you can't. Besides your question was answered.

What we said is that from what we could see from your threads in 2010, proper exposure and proper EPs were not implemented.

Serial cheater or not, that will lead to more affairs. One affair already indicates a weakness in boundaries for the WS.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
B
B
Originally Posted by thndrnltng

...nasty skanky smellin'...

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

S
S
Originally Posted by SusieQ
Besides your question was answered.
What wasn't answered were the many questions I asked you. I spent some time posting to you yesterday, and you all but ignored my posts.

I read through the thread that was attached to the beginning of this thread (i.e., this whole thread, from the beginning in 2010) and I was stunned at the anger and belligerence with with you rebutted all the advice that was given to you in 2010. SusieQ tried especially hard to get you to close down this affair properly, and you called her and other posters rude, and you pretty much told them to bugger off, because you were going to do things your way.

And here you are, not quite so belligerent perhaps, but still ignoring advice and doing things your way. This affair could have been closed down in 2010, had you listened to posters then.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Agree Sugarcane, that is why I am reluctant to spend any time here. The advice we gave back in 2010 was rudely dismissed and ignored. And here we are again....

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S

I just want to point out that my H was not a serial cheat; he had a long-term affair with the same woman.

Neither was I recommending early retirement for a serial cheat. I wasn't recommending any particular path. I was showing that when an affair has already re-started, or perhaps never died, as happened in both your case and mine, a couple needs to take extraordinary precautions that go over and above the normal EPs.

What those precautions are will depend on the nature of the affair, and the contact that the affair partners had. My husband's affair was facilitated by his working environment. OW was a client, and his email could not be accessed at home - which means that I could not log on to check it. He had a private office space from which he could make long phone calls unheard, and a mobile phone that he left at the office - so I could not monitor that, either.

OW lived in another country, so there was no need for us to take the usual steps of moving house, or changing church. My husband could have tried to find work with another company, but I was never convinced that this would stop them from communicating through the workplace. In the end, accepting the affair for the addiction it was, it was the workplace that was the issue for us, and so when the opportunity for early retirement came up, taking it was the solution - along with no mobile phone and my access to his PC history, at home.

Other people in serial cheating situations have been advised by Dr Harley to change professions, if the nature of the profession makes hook-ups inevitable. Examples include pilots and stewardesses, anyone who travels overnight for a job, and working in hospitals where the shifts and the environment enable hook-ups between doctors and nurses.

Some people have indeed been advised to give up working outside the home, but not necessarily to retire; Dr Harley suggests that couples start a business together.

The solution to serial cheating is first, for there to be a will to stop, on the part of the cheat. Your husband has walked out on you, and as far as we have heard, shows no desire to stop his affairs, so I don't think that anything else is relevant for you. Second, is drastically to change the environment, so that the unfaithful spouse cannot pick up other people in secret.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
L
L
Originally Posted by thndrnltng

...nasty skanky smellin'...

ain't no meetin' for them in heaven

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
I
I
Doesn't add up. A serial cheat is only interested in casual hookups and attention. He doesn't fall in love and therefore wouldn't dream of leaving his family. This guy has left after a very long running affair for love or for pressure from OW.

That is not always true Indie. My serial cheating ex was not like that and there have been other serial cheaters mentioned on the forum over the years that don't fit that mold either.

And confessed to the SSL too? I don't like that it is only his word we have. I just wonder if it is to detract blame from the AP.

Protectiveness of the OW is common and this WH has tried many times to convince his wife that her exposing OW is unnecessary and pointless. First by doing it himself. Then by implying she's not the issue.

He may well be a serial cheat I just wouldn't take his word for it.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

S
S
My serial cheater did it for the rush of the chase but after many years of a SSL, he got emotionally involved. She was 45, fat and desperate. Hey, accidents happen even to serial cheaters dramaqueen

But Indie may be right, worth investigating to see if this is a single long term relationship that he is hiding. Definitely easier to recover from that.

I don't know if I would say that. I would guess that LTA and serial cheating is equally more difficult to recovery from than a regular one time cheater. Or if there is a difference, it's not a huge difference. Just MHO.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
S
S
Originally Posted by SugarCane

I just want to point out that my H was not a serial cheat; he had a long-term affair with the same woman.

Neither was I recommending early retirement for a serial cheat. I wasn't recommending any particular path. I was showing that when an affair has already re-started, or perhaps never died, as happened in both your case and mine, a couple needs to take extraordinary precautions that go over and above the normal EPs.

What those precautions are will depend on the nature of the affair, and the contact that the affair partners had. My husband's affair was facilitated by his working environment. OW was a client, and his email could not be accessed at home - which means that I could not log on to check it. He had a private office space from which he could make long phone calls unheard, and a mobile phone that he left at the office - so I could not monitor that, either.

OW lived in another country, so there was no need for us to take the usual steps of moving house, or changing church. My husband could have tried to find work with another company, but I was never convinced that this would stop them from communicating through the workplace. In the end, accepting the affair for the addiction it was, it was the workplace that was the issue for us, and so when the opportunity for early retirement came up, taking it was the solution - along with no mobile phone and my access to his PC history, at home.

Other people in serial cheating situations have been advised by Dr Harley to change professions, if the nature of the profession makes hook-ups inevitable. Examples include pilots and stewardesses, anyone who travels overnight for a job, and working in hospitals where the shifts and the environment enable hook-ups between doctors and nurses.

Some people have indeed been advised to give up working outside the home, but not necessarily to retire; Dr Harley suggests that couples start a business together.

The solution to serial cheating is first, for there to be a will to stop, on the part of the cheat. Your husband has walked out on you, and as far as we have heard, shows no desire to stop his affairs, so I don't think that anything else is relevant for you. Second, is drastically to change the environment, so that the unfaithful spouse cannot pick up other people in secret.

It was pretty nice of you to take more time to write to this poster after having all your other posts ignored.

Just wanted to say...Great post! smile

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
I
I
It's stuff like this which worries me. The WH here is the one who exposed the affair five years ago to OWH. He did it in such a way that OWH was left with the impression that it was just a friendship - which left the gates wide open for him to call her whenever he liked, with OWH blessing. Which happened.

BTW, you were told by ML in the first thread to tell OWH yourself about the A which you ignored.
No, instead I asked DH to tell him.
Which he did. I guess I had this idea that that would carry far more weight than anything I might say.

Why on earth would the word of the guy who's been sliming up to his wife have more weight with OWH than PMs?

You can see by PMs quote here that she genuinely believed this 'keep the gates open' ploy was her own idea. Gaslighting extraordinaire.

Now she isn't answering anyone's questions about follow-up exposure to OWH. She's only interested in the line she's been fed about serial cheats and how hopeless that all is...

Last edited by indiegirl; 05/28/15 02:06 PM.

S
S

But she wasn't gaslit, Indie.

We TOLD her again and again that she needed to expose and she didn't want to hear it.

She also didn't want to follow up on the EPs.

Some people for whatever reason (don't want to rock the boat with their WS, want to forget about the affair or believe it wasn't a big deal, etc) want to skim over the JC part of recovery. Sadly that is a common theme around here.

Many times we can convince them otherwise. Sometimes they don't want to hear it - I don't think you can entirely blame it on gaslighting in those cases. Personally I think it's either denial or thinking they know better or some combination of the two....

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
I
I
I think that's definitely true too but they aren't mutually exclusive ideas.

If you don't have that sense of wanting to believe the WS (who among us hasn't or didn't) or not wanting to rock the boat, it's not possible to be gaslit.

There is very little willingness to rock the boat here though I agree and that isn't entirely gaslighting.

B
B

And confessed to the SSL too? I don't like that it is only his word we have. I just wonder if it is to detract blame from the AP.

I'm not sure what you mean. My ex did not confess to a SSL..he was caught. If a WS is dumb enough to add being a serial cheater to his resume and it is not true, I don't think it detracts blame from the AP since she is still an OW.

Protectiveness of the OW is common and this WH has tried many times to convince his wife that her exposing OW is unnecessary and pointless. First by doing it himself. Then by implying she's not the issue.

He may well be a serial cheat I just wouldn't take his word for it.

The word of any WS/OP should be taken with a grain of salt and the truth looked into further but I also wouldn't entirely dismiss it either.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

B
B
Originally Posted by SusieQ
Originally Posted by SugarCane

It was pretty nice of you to take more time to write to this poster after having all your other posts ignored.

Just wanted to say...Great post! smile

Ditto and QFT

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

I
I
I'm not sure what you mean. My ex did not confess to a SSL..he was caught. If a WS is dumb enough to add being a serial cheater to his resume and it is not true, I don't think it detracts blame from the AP since she is still an OW.

No, it doesn't.

But I think he knows what his wife will focus on.

Here we are hearing more about the serial cheater thing (which is unverified but of course shouldn't be dismissed) than about the OWH who is by far the more pressing matter.

All Qs about him being ignored.

This is something that is definitely true and something that should have been done years ago.

Independent verification of the other OW he's claimed should also be done so she can expose them...and we aren't hearing about that either.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 700 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation