Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J
Originally Posted by Explorer
Hardcore! I expected as much and should listen. At least I confronted it early this time...last time I waited until it got physical.

If I did the same thing with a minor girl the police would be at my door.

I have no evidence except for what I saw on the screen for a few seconds unfortunately.

Not sure I want the marriage to survive either yet. Too weird.

How many kids do you have?
If you just have the teenage daughter she could decide where to live if you divorced.
since she is 15 though, and if you suspect for any reason she would not live with you I would stick around until she is 18. you dont want your wife bringing weird boyfriends around her if you divorced.

I
I

Explorer, it sounds like there have been some gaps in your recovery plan - which is good news because you can explain this and close it up.

Exposure - was this done right first time to everyone including your kids? Your wife should know and expect that any affair she ever has will never get the cover up treatment from you. You will not help her have affairs by helping her to cover them up.

In addition to that waywards act strangely towards their children and are not careful about clues. Your kids need direction and reassurance at this confusing time.

I doubt you have done exposure because if you had you'd know how helpful and beneficial it is.

Counselling?!! No MBer goes to marriage counselling. It's a huge talking shop distraction from the job of recovery. Now she's a counsellor herself?

PoJA - every decision has two enthusiastic votes. You did not approve of counselling this kid, so why on earth did it happen?

Boundaries - she should know that intimate conversation about personal matters should never, ever, ever happen between either of you and a non relation member of the opposite sex. However inappropriate, because that's what CAUSES inappropriate affairs.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
By the way, bravo for the no nonsense way you told him to buzz off.

M
M
I told her to turn it over to another couple who has known him for years and be done with it.

She never stopped talking to him though, even after I told her it wasn't good for her to be a shoulder to cry on.

The way you handled this really stands out to me. In all that you said to your wife, you never brought your own feelings on the subject into the conversation! You never told her that her contact with the boy was bothering you or hurting you.

Marriage Builders would actually say that you should complain about how her behavior affects your feelings. You strike me here as relying solely on your "Giver" and ignoring your "Taker," to use Dr. Harley's terms. THAT'S NOT GOOD!! That's a recipe for disaster in marriage.

You don't really need to try to lecture or educate your wife or persuade her that she is "wrong" to be developing a relationship with the kid. You need to let her know that it hurts you for her to be counseling someone of the opposite sex, that it will always hurt, and that you will not let yourself be subjected to it. This is actually more important than persuading her that she is wrong. It's also a lot more achievable.

I know you said you guys have been doing Marriage Builders perfectly up till now, but it doesn't sound that way to me. I suspect you do a lot of capitulating and sacrificing. I could be wrong. It doesn't sound like you know how to negotiate or to respectfully complain. I'm sure life has been pretty happy for you, but I'm equally sure that a lot has been lacking and you (and she) could be a lot happier.

Don't get me wrong - your wife's behavior is disgraceful and needs to be reported to the police. But YOU need to stand up for YOU.

Problem is with wider exposure. This would mess my daughter up badly

That doesn't make any sense at all, and I can't believe anybody familiar with Marriage Builders would say that. Knowing the truth does not mess up teenagers! Where in the world would you get this idea? You certainly didn't get it from Marriage Builders, and I doubt you got it from any other reputable professional source. Knowing the truth does not mess up children; having the truth hidden from them is what messes up children. So if you hide the truth from her YOU are messing up your daughter.

So when will you be telling her?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
E
OP Offline
E
I have posed as her and talked with him. After trying to "bait" him slightly - with no interesting results - I told him it was me.

He offered up everything, he's scared I'll come after him. After I got everything I needed from him I assured him there was no risk of that happening.

For what it's worth, convos were about how much he liked our family, how messed up his is, etc. No secret meeting talk or "let's get together" stuff.

U
U
It seems to me that both your wife and this kid are a bit too scared about being 'caught' for their conversations to be so vanilla. If I were 15 I would not think anything was wrong with a conversation like that, and wouldn't think I was getting 'caught' because I wasn't doing anything.

You only know he offered up what he offered up. You don't know he offered up everything.

M
M
I have posed as her and talked with him. After trying to "bait" him slightly - with no interesting results - I told him it was me.

He offered up everything, he's scared I'll come after him. After I got everything I needed from him I assured him there was no risk of that happening.

For what it's worth, convos were about how much he liked our family, how messed up his is, etc. No secret meeting talk or "let's get together" stuff.

So what is being done to resolve the problem here? Have you obtained the spy stick I recommended? Have your wife and the boy agreed to end contact? I don't understand your plan.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
I

So in other words, he offered up nothing. I don't know why you believe any of this. You have to use a variety of spy methods or its too easy for them to deny. It was definitely worth trying to bait him but there was always the chance he was onto you and playing along. That's why you need more than one method.

If he really was scared of you he wouldn't have continued talking to your wife after you told him not to, so that doesn't add up either.

In fact nothing about this kid rings true. I work with teens who have very troubled home lives and they are hardly ever this keen to share when it's genuine. Especially not with girls or women. If they are, it's dangerous for them to confide in an untrained and unrelated adult taking an interest for no apparent reason. It's dangerous for both parties due to the likelihood of sex abuse or false allegations. It requires training.

If the conversations were truly innocent she would never have deleted them. The content they admit to is inappropriate anyway. no teenage boy should be discussing his feelings with a grown woman.

I would feign belief for now, but insist this stops as it bothers you. Then continue snooping as it is unlikely to stop.

If it was that easy for them to stop, and he was 'scared of you' it would have stopped already.

Last edited by indiegirl; 07/07/15 06:24 AM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 685 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation