Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
M
Originally Posted by lostaf
This is very interesting. I am on 2 different forums, this one advocates exposure, the other is against exposure.

The advice we give to expose comes from Dr. Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders. He has specialized in saving marriages from infidelity for 45 years. He is the author of Survving an Affair.

NOT exposing the affair makes it much less likely you will save your marriage because keeping it a secret enables the affair.

Originally Posted by DrBill Harley
"Exposure is very likely to end the affair, lifting the fog that has overcome the unfaithful spouse, helping him or her become truly repentant and willing to put energy and effort into a full marital recovery. In my experience with thousands of couples who struggle with the fallout of infidelity, exposure has been the single most important first step toward recovery. It not only helps end the affair, but it also provides support to the betrayed spouse, giving him or her stamina to hold out for ultimate recovery."

Originally Posted by DrBill Harley
"The reason for the wide exposure is not to hurt the unfaithful spouse, but rather to end the fantasy. Your husband's secret second life made his affair possible, and the more you can to to make it public, the easier it is for him to see the damage he's doing. Keeping it secret does damage, but few know about it. Making it public helps everyone, including the unfaithful spouse and lover, see the affair for what it really is."

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
lostaf Offline OP
OP Offline
L
So I feel that I am near my breaking point. She is still texting this guy all the time. Everyone here says to expose. My question is: Is exposing really the right thing to do when our marriage was pretty bad due to my neglecting her for a couple years before her affair started?

M
M
So I feel that I am near my breaking point. She is still texting this guy all the time. Everyone here says to expose. My question is: Is exposing really the right thing to do when our marriage was pretty bad due to my neglecting her for a couple years before her affair started?

YES.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

YES.
YES!!

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

L
lostaf Offline OP
OP Offline
L
In case this doesn't go well for me I am thinking I will get our finances legally separated while she is in the amicable mood. Would you all agree?

M
M
In case this doesn't go well for me I am thinking I will get our finances legally separated while she is in the amicable mood. Would you all agree?

NO! We would tell you to do this if we thought it was necessary. WE are pretty thorough and have done this one or two times.

Exposure 101

L
lostaf Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Wold you mind giving me an explanation as to why you feel it isn't necessary? Currently she is content taking half of our joint checking/saving accounts and leaving the house equity, and all retirement accounts alone. If she wants she could easily push for half of the house equity, and all retirement accounts.

Please don't think I am disagreeing with you, as you guys have all of the experience. I am truly just intrigued by what your viewpoint is and how you came to it.

M
M
Wold you mind giving me an explanation as to why you feel it isn't necessary? Currently she is content taking half of our joint checking/saving accounts and leaving the house equity, and all retirement accounts alone. If she wants she could easily push for half of the house equity, and all retirement accounts.

Please don't think I am disagreeing with you, as you guys have all of the experience. I am truly just intrigued by what your viewpoint is and how you came to it.

Explain to me why this would be necessary.

Exposure 101

L
lostaf Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Right now I can have an amicable legal separation of finances where she will get half of our checking and savings and leave everything else alone. When I expose she may not be quite so willing to be amicable about the financial separation demanding much, much more than just the checking and savings. We are talking an extremely significant amount of money. So it's my thinking that it would be wise to protect my financial interests before stirring the pot. Now would you mind giving me your viewpoint? I'm sure your viewpoint is extremely valid with all of the experience you possess.

M
M
But we not advocating separation. AT ALL. The goal here is to save your marriage. We would coach you to not even talk about it. If she cleaned out your finances, she would just have to put it back.

Exposure 101

M
M
I want to make another point and that is that you have been here for 2 weeks now and are no further along than when you arrived. You have had the evidence of her affair for several days and still have not exposed. This needs to be wrapped up so you can move onto next steps.

Have you read the exposure 101 thread in my signature? Have you put together a list of targets?

Exposure 101

L
lostaf Offline OP
OP Offline
L
We are separating whether I like it or not. She signs the lease on an apartment today. So not advocating separation in my scenario is a moot point...we ARE separating. With this fact now known, I will be supporting the separation by FINANCING it. Even though emotionally and morally I do not support it.

Yes I have read your exposure 101 thread. She will be on a hiking trip with her sister this weekend, and I plan to make the list this weekend, including taking screenshots of all of her facebook friends before starting that one.

As to why I haven't moved any further along: Obviously I am not as strong as most of the people that visit this site. I am so conflicted on if it is or isn't the right decision...So I am still weighing everything out.

M
M
lostaf, you have to ask yourself what you want.

If you follow your plan you are advocating for a divorce and are trying to minimize your financial losses.

What is it that what you truly want? The money or your wife?

I'd say you truly want to be with your wife and wish to have a happy and romantic relationship. You can have that no matter what you may be feeling right now. If you decide that is what you really want then I'd suggest you stop your plan immediately and follow the advice you are getting here because it gives you your best shot of getting you what you want.

You're in a bad spot I get that. That is why I strongly encourage you to let these great people guide you through this. If you aren't aware the posters that are chatting with you have done this hundreds IF NOT thousands of times. We've seen a lot of success around here for those that follow the plan and those successes came because of these great people.

The only thing you are risking is not settling for more than half of what you own financially. Small price to pay for happiness I would think. I say you should give this your best shot.

Last edited by MrAlias; 09/30/16 08:00 AM.

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
We are separating whether I like it or not. She signs the lease on an apartment today. So not advocating separation in my scenario is a moot point...we ARE separating. With this fact now known, I will be supporting the separation by FINANCING it. Even though emotionally and morally I do not support it.

Gotcha, can you move your money asap?

Yes I have read your exposure 101 thread. She will be on a hiking trip with her sister this weekend, and I plan to make the list this weekend, including taking screenshots of all of her facebook friends before starting that one.

One correction, you should expose to the OM's facebook friends, not necessarily hers. You will expose to her family and close friends, but try to do this on a personal level, ie: phone call or email. You may have to resort to facebook but it should be rare.

As to why I haven't moved any further along: Obviously I am not as strong as most of the people that visit this site. I am so conflicted on if it is or isn't the right decision...So I am still weighing everything out.

Did you read Dr Harley's comments about exposure? You do realize he has 45 years of professional experience with infidelity? Those of us who are posting to you saved our own marriages using these tactics. Exposure is not guarantee, but it does give you the best chance of recovery. Keeping the affair a secret guarantees that you will most likely divorce because affairs thrive on secrecy.

It is hard to put aside emotions in these situations, but you are more likely to have a successful outcome if you can do that.

I would close with the suggestion that strength is a choice. We were ALL AFRAID. Strength comes from choosing to take action in spite of fear.

Exposure 101

L
lostaf Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I can't really move money without getting attorney involved.

Also, I forgot to mention that she ACTUALLY admitted that she has feelings for someone else! She texted me 2 days ago and said "Do you really think we can continue when I clearly have feelings for someone else?"

I was dumbfounded....but I forgot to tell you guys this.

T
T

Also, I forgot to mention that she ACTUALLY admitted that she has feelings for someone else! She texted me 2 days ago and said "Do you really think we can continue when I clearly have feelings for someone else?"

lostaf, I don't really see why that is important. Clearly we already know she has feelings for someone else if she is having an active affair?

Bottom line, you need to decide if you want to FIGHT for your marriage or just cut your losses and run. My WW took $3,000 from our joint account to retain a lawyer and actually served me with divorce papers. I STILL didn't give up and fought for my marriage. I heard all sorts of fog babble about us being incompatible, she never really loved me, she has been unhappy for X amount of years, etc... You just need to see through all of this and put your focus on the goal of saving your marriage.

I didn't find this site and it's wonderful advice until later in the affair. But, I was able to use the advice here to END the affair and get our marriage on the mend. You have to think "big picture" and follow the "tried and true" plan here exactly as stated. It works and what else do you have to lose at this point? Money is nothing without happiness!

S
S
Originally Posted by Tech_Man
I was able to use the advice here to END the affair and get our marriage on the mend.
Has she left that job, Tech_Man?

You're not taking our advice, and the affair has not ended, if she hasn't done that.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M

This is what concerned me when you said it because I view this as another delaying tactic. Actually you CAN move your own money. You should not waste any more time delaying exposure.

Yes, we could have told you this.

Exposure 101

L
lostaf Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Wow, the things your wife said are the EXACT things my wife has said...although she added the whole "I've been thinking about kids for the past year or so and I know that I don't want to have them with you".

On the money topic...if it was only a few thousand dollars I wouldn't be concerned at all...but we are talking nearly 100 times that amount...

Thanks for your testament to these methods!

M
M
Wow, the things your wife said are the EXACT things my wife has said...although she added the whole "I've been thinking about kids for the past year or so and I know that I don't want to have them with you".

On the money topic...if it was only a few thousand dollars I wouldn't be concerned at all...but we are talking nearly 100 times that amount...

Thanks for your testament to these methods!

Either move the money [which you don't need a lawyer for ] or don't. But you need to take action.

Exposure 101

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,190 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation