Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2900565 07/08/17 11:16 AM
F
OP Offline
F
First post here... I just found out that my husband had an affair in 2012 and reconnected this fall. I saw the text that lasted for several months in a friendly manner (this summer) but when he was drinking he said that he wanted to be with her and that "he just needed to get his life together here". This is a man that has issues setting boundaries for years. My question is he says it was just a few times he was with her and that it was just sex. He did break it off with her by email... In reading the text it sounded much more then sex. How do I know how long the original affair was for and if the nature of it was "love". I believe I deserve to know as looking back I think it lasted a year so... I've talked to the other women once and she did take my call. I was polite but firm. Do I try to get the true story from her he will not budge and says just a few times years ago.

BW 51, 1st Marriage (me)
WH 51, 3rd Marriage
Married 12 yrs.
1 child

My head is spinning with the lies and deception. Separated but I'm still trying.....
FLgirl55 #2900566 07/08/17 11:36 AM
B
B
Welcome to MB and sorry for your pain.

How long have you been married? Do you have children?

Who is the OW? How do they know each other? Is she married?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Have you read these SAA-Start here first?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

F
OP Offline
F
Thank you for the invite. It's good to have some support. I have been married 15 years. We have one child together, he has two from a previous relationship.

He's in the military and they met while he was on a 4 week assignment. She lived 2.5 hours away but when they returned home she moved within an 1.5 hrs of us. I knew nothing of this at the time. She left her husband a year after they had the affair.

I contacted him when I found out even though he was her ex to let him know of the affair. He had no idea. Of course, it helped him to know he wasn't "crazy" because he had suspicions. She is supposedly a Christian but broke up another marriage prior to my husband having an affair. Was best friends with the wife of that husband.

BW 51, 1st Marriage (me)
WH 51, 3rd Marriage
Married 12 yrs.
1 child

My head is spinning with the lies and deception. Separated but I'm still trying.....
F
OP Offline
F
I've read through much of it. Continue to do so...

BW 51, 1st Marriage (me)
WH 51, 3rd Marriage
Married 12 yrs.
1 child

FLgirl55 #2900590 07/09/17 03:17 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by gagirl66
Do I try to get the true story from her he will not budge and says just a few times years ago.
Whether you want to acknowledge it of not, you pretty much already have the "true story". Your husband is involved in an ongoing affair that is five years old. Details aside, you are up against an entrenched affair. You will need to identify the circumstances that have allowed this affair to happen, and then take measures to address these circumstances so that any future affair will be impossible. This will likely mean him leaving the military and staying home every night from now on, or at least you going with him so he is never separated from you overnight.

You did not mention if the affair partner is in the military as well.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
mrEureka #2900592 07/09/17 05:35 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Looking at the communication it looks like they were not in communication the last several years and reconnected. He is overseas and will retire when he returns. She is a civilian but works with the military. She was a civilian contractor when they met. I am addressing the concerns on my part which led to the concerns in the marriage as I have been disrespectful and have angry outbursts with all of the emotional affairs and inappropriate relationships. I'm trying to better understand the difference between controlling and setting clear expectations of what , how we plan to address the issues together. He feels shamed and just wants to get part all this.

BW 51, 1st Marriage (me)
WH 51, 3rd Marriage
Married 12 yrs.
1 child

FLgirl55 #2900593 07/09/17 06:49 PM
M
M
I am addressing the concerns on my part which led to the concerns in the marriage as I have been disrespectful and have angry outbursts with all of the emotional affairs and inappropriate relationships.

How many affairs has he had?

He is overseas and will retire when he returns.

When will this happen?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F
He had an emotional affair with a women a year before, found him with profiles on adult websites year before that. Started digging more and found s profile on match.com earlier in our relationship. Stayed out all night earlier in or relationship with a poor excuse...and I've had suspicions are entire marriage. He is overseas a year and retirement 6-12 months after that.

He struggles with depression, ptsd and I believe addictions. He's compulsive about something always... gaming, alcohol, etc..

Anyway, I need to have him committed to a plan to improve his behavior as this is habitual... he went to a psychiatrist and explained about my angry outburst so she had him convinced I was the one wrong... he won't go to couples therapy.

BW 51, 1st Marriage (me)
WH 51, 3rd Marriage
Married 12 yrs.
1 child

FLgirl55 #2900597 07/09/17 10:00 PM
M
M
He had an emotional affair with a women a year before, found him with profiles on adult websites year before that. Started digging more and found s profile on match.com earlier in our relationship. Stayed out all night earlier in or relationship with a poor excuse...and I've had suspicions are entire marriage. He is overseas a year and retirement 6-12 months after that.

He struggles with depression, ptsd and I believe addictions. He's compulsive about something always... gaming, alcohol, etc..

Anyway, I need to have him committed to a plan to improve his behavior as this is habitual... he went to a psychiatrist and explained about my angry outburst so she had him convinced I was the one wrong... he won't go to couples therapy.

Your angry outbursts are not the issue. The issue is his lifestyle. He is out trolling for action and has been for some time. His lifestyle supports this type of behavior. These is nothing you can do he decides to stop trolling for action. He needs to a) quits his job and is home with you every night and b) makes a radical change in his approach to being married.

He has not been living the life of a married man, he is married in name only.

Focusing on your "angry outbursts" is a distraction. Sure, it is good to control your anger, but it is insignificant compared to the marriage problems.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F
Well, I wanted to update and get more advice. I explained to my husband that if he was not willing to work on the marriage together and start to look at MB then I don't think there is any hope in us reconciling once he returns from being deployed. I had been sending him information and talking about the program. He says he has done everything I've asked by going to a psychiatrist for the past year and is over his "issues". I never was invited to any sessions he went to and I went to another therapist on my own. Talk about IB. We can't even go to marriage counseling together. It goes without saying I've tried to have him go for years...

He texted me within days of that conversation and said he has no interest in physical intimacy he just doesn't have a need for it... that's just who he is at this point in his life.

Then he left over Labor Day weekend to another part of Asia said he was visiting the country with a friend and his wife. He stayed at a nice hotel and wouldn't answer text or phone calls for 4 days.

Then he removed me as a friend from his facebook account. Basically blocked me. I calmly addressed everything when he returned and had absolutely no AO. Very proud of myself. He still says he is not seeing anyone. He told me that I should start dating !!.... he's not sure he wants to be married anymore.

We have had two other conversations about things at home but I initiated both calls. The calls were actually very nice and we laughed about different things that were going on in our lives. I'm trying to calm the waters so I better understand what he is thinking. I've exposed to his family the lies and the affair over the past year. I also contacted the OW's ex husband to let him know that she cheated on him with my husband.

I have every reason to think she is back in the picture but he is not sure.

So...any advice is appreciated. He will be back to the USA at Christmas and I have no idea how to prepare for this. Not even sure he will want to stay with us.

BW 51, 1st Marriage (me)
WH 51, 3rd Marriage
Married 12 yrs.
1 child

FLgirl55 #2902217 09/16/17 02:56 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by FLgirl55
So...any advice is appreciated. He will be back to the USA at Christmas and I have no idea how to prepare for this. Not even sure he will want to stay with us.

I would go into Plan B and file for divorce to protect yourself legally. There is nothing you can do to change him. Sorry. frown

Exposure 101

U
U
You are married to a serial cheater who has no intention to change. Go into Plan B and file for divorce, there is no other option really other than living like this forever.

F
OP Offline
F
MelodyLane, I just wanted to give you an update since it's been a year since I've written. In August of last year, after several weeks of trying to have him commit to marriage builders, I finally told him to consider us separated. You may recall he's in S.Korea. He quickly flew to the Philippines and while on his way told me I should consider dating. Took me off Facebook and removed all signs of me on social media. I continued to try to hold the marriage together as he was spending money in bars and drinking over there. He got in trouble with the drinking part so that slowed down some. I was the only one texting or calling him. I explained that I would not continue to do so and he should be initiating if he was serious at all. He texted me and explained he is considering retiring in the Philippines. That text was on December 4, 2017. I consider that our separation date. He wasn't coming back and after 16 years I got a text telling me so. No mention of our daughter (12 yrs. old) or parenting either. Said he can parent just fine from the Philippians.

He now is with a woman and his broadcasting her and his relationship all over social media. The are in love even though we are only separated. I did manage to have his command assure that he take down these posts. I believe he has been in contact with this woman and found her over Asian Websites since 2016 and that is why he was flying to the Philippians immediately upon arriving to S. Korea. Of course, like any WH he only admits to the bare minimum and said they just met. We probably will be divorced soon. He received my offer letter today.

I wanted to thank you for your advice above. It was spot on and I knew it when I read it. I stopped blaming myself after reading it and took action. It gave him what he was looking for which was a way out of the marriage and me making the decision to do so as I am now the "bad guy". He continues to be the victim as I made the decision. God help me get through all this. Thank you again. God Bless.

BW 51, 1st Marriage (me)
WH 51, 3rd Marriage
Married 12 yrs.
1 child

FLgirl55 #3004431 06/04/18 06:21 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by FLgirl55
We probably will be divorced soon. He received my offer letter today.

This is great news!! I am sorry it turned out like this, but sometimes divorce is the definition of success. Congrats to you!

Exposure 101

FLgirl55 #3004436 06/04/18 07:54 PM
I
I
Oh I am so excited for you!

One thing though..how do you know he thinks of you as the bad guy? This guy traumatised you for years which is why Dr H says to cut off all contact. Do you know how to do that while maintaining his option to parent? You just need an intermediary/lawyer and to block him across the board.

I think your DD will honestly be better off.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation