Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Smeig Offline OP
OP Offline
S
My husband and I are reading surviving the affair. We also have read a lot on your website. We have a really hard time coming up with 15 hours a week of undivided time.

I wake between 4am and 6am depending if it's a day I need to go to the gym. I am a teacher and am at work by 7:30-8 am. I work Til 4:30 and most days I then pick up my son from after school care and then take him to one of his sporting events. He is ten. The rest of the evening is getting ready for the next day, dinner etc.

My husband is the executive chef of a very large resort, seven outlets plus banquets. He leaves for work at 8am after driving our son to school. His season is October to end of May. He gets Sundays off usually, but there are times like during the holidays where he will work a week or two with no days off. We live an hour from his job which adds to the time away from home. Most Friday and Saturday nights he's home at ten on an early night 11 most others. So Sunday becomes a family day. During season I try to stay awake to see him but then I'm exhausted the next day when I need to get up early. Summers is when we reconnect but it's not enough, especially knowing he's had multiple affairs, all of which I just learned about this past June.

I feel at times that I have to compete with his job for time with him. He knows this but we can not seem to come to a solution. I have asked him to look for another job but they are not as easy to come by at his level. He also will not accept a position that would require him to lose 30-40k in pay.

U
U
Can you tell us about his multiple affairs? How many were there? When did they occur? Who were they with? How did you find out?

M
M
Originally Posted by Smeig
Summers is when we reconnect but it's not enough, especially knowing he's had multiple affairs, all of which I just learned about this past June.

Hi Smeig, welcome to Marriage Builders. Can you give us some background on this? What steps have you taken to prevent repeat affairs? Has your marriage been affair proofed? Has he ended contact with his affair partners? Have his affairs been exposed? How did you learn about his affairs?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Originally Posted by Smeig
I feel at times that I have to compete with his job for time with him. He knows this but we can not seem to come to a solution. I have asked him to look for another job but they are not as easy to come by at his level. He also will not accept a position that would require him to lose 30-40k in pay.
Welcome to MB.

I underlined a sentence in your post to make the point that there are solutions to your problems, such as his changing job and choosing a major downgrade in responsibilities, but for a solution to work, your husband must be prepared to use one. If he is not willing to change, he is telling you very clearly that he places his job above your happiness, and above the future of his marriage.

Essentially, it comes down to a choice between changing your lifestyle (which means a radical change to your husband's working patterns), or staying as you are. If you change, then the problems can be solved. If you don't, then they never will be solved.

The poster above me, unwritten, asked crucial questions about your husband's affairs. It is clear that your husband was able to have multiple affairs because his lifestyle allowed him to get away with them. You've posted your question in the Recovery forum, but when a marriage has suffered one or more affairs, and the lifestyle and freedoms that enabled those affairs have not changed, the marriage is not in recovery, and never will be. Your husband's woking life, which robs you of time for undivided attention, is also the direct connection to his affairs. As long as he continues this working lifestyle, I'm sorry to say that affairs will be the norm for your marriage.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation