Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TLG1980 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have been happily married to a great guy for over 37 years. He is 57 and I am 56. Two years ago after becoming friends with a classic car enthusiast he became obsessed with classic cars. He began spending hours and hours on the internet searching for cars and participated in The Great Race twice with his new friend, where he met someone who owned a 1972 Datsun 240Z car spec'd out for racing. He bought it and a trailer for $17,500, much to my dismay, using our home equity line, and told me after the fact that it was a race car, not even street legal. He promised me he would be doing parking lot autocross cone racing only. Then I found out he wanted to do 'track days' at the NASA southeast road course race tracks. He told me he would be taking high performance driving classes. I asked him if he planned on racing, and told him that I was not okay with that. He PROMISED me several times he would ONLY be doing track days. NO racing. Recently I found out he had planned to race all along. He had signed up to take a racing competition certification course. He left yesterday for a 4 day weekend at Roebling Raceway in Georgia. He knows I am very unhappy about it. He is obsessed with it and completely disregards my feelings and my fears that something will happen to him and he will get hurt. He gets angry at me because i disapprove. He gets angry at me when I tell him I don't want him to race. He thinks he has worked hard for his family and "deserves some fun". He is a self-employed engineer with a fantastic client base and he is brilliant at what he does. I found out that he apparently has wanted to be a race car driver his entire life and he just told me this tonight He has poured over $75,000 into this car, rebuilding engine, putting premium carb on it, etc. He leaves me home alone with our dog while he goes to these "tracK" weekends. He drinks beer and liquor while he is there at night and it just crushes me. The last time he went he drank so much he had a hangover still when he got home Sunday evening. I am NOT a fan of racing at all. I feel as if I have had a 2 ton truck sitting on my chest for the past year or more. We were perfectly happy before the car stuff. He told me he wants to 'have some fun". Like we haven't had any fun together all these years. We raised three great sons, have two beautiful grandchildren, have traveled together, go on camping trips, go to concerts, I have been to Nascar races with him even though I am not a big fan. We bowl together. He has become distant at home and I have felt as if he is shutting me out because I do not approve of his new hobby. I don't have friends I go out with as i am somewhat introverted and prefer the company of my husband. So when he goes to these things I am left home alone. I am feeling so bad, like he loves his race car more than he does me. This man has been my entire life for over 37 years. He is my soul mate. Am I being unreasonable?

B
B
Welcome to MB. How much of Dr. Harley's basic concepts have you read? Have you read about POJA?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

T
TLG1980 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I just found this site tonight. I briefly looked at everything and think it is all very sound advice. I hope this will work for us

T
TLG1980 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Reading it now

U
U
Welcome to MB. It's been a couple days since you posted and I'm wondering if you have had the time to read about POJA?

The answer to your question "am I being unreasonable" is NO. It is not 'unreasonable' for you to feel a certain way. I would say most wives would not be happy with a husband who completely disregarded their feelings in this way!

With the POJA, spouses negotiate until they reach a solution that BOTH are enthusiastic about. They do not do things that make the other person unhappy. What your husband is doing is called Independent Behavior and it is a huge lovebuster (I don't need to tell you) because he is making choices that completely disregard your feelings and that make you very unhappy.

The key to the POJA working is that both parties have to be willing to negotiate to find a win/win solution. Is your husband willing to do this? The fact that you have been happily married for many years before this makes me hopeful that he is, but also is a bit of a red flag as well. Why after so many years of being considerate to your feelings is he all of a sudden NOT considerate? Who does he do these racing weekends with? Do you know his racing friends? Does he have any racing friends of the opposite sex?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,190 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation