Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1455616 08/19/05 02:18 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I am looking at using Completecase.com for my divorce. Does anyone have any experience with using this type of service? I have looked at using mediation but even that is very expensive, I don't even want to think of using an Attorney as I have heard that is really really expensive. This Completecase.com has been featured on Good Morning America, USA today, Time...etc so I would think they may not be a bad way to go.

Just looking for some input
Thanks

BS - 43 (me)
STBXH WS - 45
M - 24 yrs
D-day - 1/95 & 7/2005
2 beautiful grown children

A
A
Well, after you have done this, why don't you just go ahead and do open heart surgery on yourself?

In all seriousness, I am an attorney, and I can tell you that there are more ways you can mess up yourself doing this than you would ever believe. If you do your own divorce to save money, you will probably spend three times as much on a lawyer to fix all the problems later.

May the Lord Bless You and Keep You, John Rahrrrrrr!!
C
C
I couldn't agree with Aslan more. Just because you learned about this on GMA, doesn't mean it's not a scam operation. Getting some "news" coverage in such media outlets is often little more than paid advertising. Have you done a google search? I have. One hit - the comany's web site. That tells us they have no track record at all.

Mediation is not for every divorce. It is only required when the two parties cannot come to an agreement on the property settlement and custody issues. Some issues, such as disssolution of jointly held business interests are outside the scope of practice for mediators. Mediation is a bit expensive, but far cheaper than two attorneys fighting a long and bitter court battle.

Yeah, lawyers, especially the good ones, cost a lot of moeny. My divorce lawyer's fee was $450/hr, but my goodness was it worth the money! If you and your spouse can be grown ups about this and come to an equitable settlement, the filing attorney's fee can be as little as $1500, since all that will be required is to file the required paperwork and spend a few minutes in family court. The non-filing spouse will need a seperate attorney to review the documents and settlement agreement, but that will only require a few hours of time and most divorce lawyers do not require a retainer for this service.

As Aslan so correctly points out, people who try to handle their legal problems on their own, or on the cheap, may save a few bucks up front, but all too often, they pay out the nose later.

A
A
My attorney charged me $500 for custody and divorce settlement that's it...no more no less. He's an older established respected attorney...doesn't need the money like these younger/up and coming/have something to prove attorneys and he doesn't mess around. You can also just go to your local courthouse and ask for the required papers and pay whatever fees they charge and do it that way if you and your ex are agreeable to that. You don't HAVE to have an attorney...I know lots of people who have been adult about things and just go to the courthouse and handle it themselves. I also know of a few people who have used the quicky divorces that are advertised in the local newpapers....I personally thought they were nuts but it worked for them. You do what will work for you. I needed an attorney because of the custody issues. Shop around...ask around...for a good attorney. See who you're friends and aquaintances have used and have been satisfied with. My ex's attorney charged him $1500 to do the same work my attorney did for me. Only difference between the two....Mine is older 60-ish and his is young 30-ish. I personally wouldn't trust an online divorce either by the way but it's all a matter of personal preference and levels of trust.

Good Luck!
Alluring

Me, 43
DS18, DD12
Divorce final May 10, 2007
D
D
Also from MN... and also looked into this, and finally did hire an attorney. There are a bunch of things that weren't covered by Internet divorces, that would have left me legally vulnerable, adn these were things I wouldn't have thought of.

Just my two cents...

Waiting for dawn...
...but not afraid of the dark.

DDay: Sept 26, 2004
Moved out: Dec 16, 2004
D Final: Oct 10, 2006
W
W
"My attorney charged me $500 for custody and divorce settlement that's it"

wow!!! I could have done that a dozen times over and still not have been done.

Paying for an attorney was the smartest thing I ever did. I had to borrow money. I am still paying that back and still have an outstanding balance. Being in NJ makes everything expensive but I hired someone with tons of experience and she didn't miss a thing.

The cheap way out may sound best now, but later you will change your mind. Put that money aside and save for a retainer.

Last edited by Wished I WereHome; 08/19/05 09:04 PM.

Don't pick the scabs or you will never heal
Marilyn Manson

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,027 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation