Psalms 118:13-21 (NLT)
13 You did your best to kill me, O my enemy, but the LORD helped me. 14 The LORD is strength and my song; he has become my victory. 15 Songs of joy and victory are sung in the camp of the godly. The strong right arm of the LORD has done glorious things! 16 The strong right arm of the LORD is raised in triumph. The strong right arm of the LORD has done glorious things! 17 I will not die, but I will live to tell what the LORD has done. 18 The LORD has punished me severely, but he has not handed me over to death. 19 Open for me the gates where the righteous enter, and I will go in and thank the LORD. 20 Those gates lead to the presence of the LORD, and the godly enter there. 21 I thank you for answering my prayer and saving me!

In Psalms 118 David reflects on a believing expectation of a promised Messiah. David is encouraging himself and others that the Lord is his VICTORY. And he sings songs of joy to that victory. He praises the strength of the Lord and His power. And while David has faced adversity and discipline, God has not forsaken him and handed him over to death. David knows the gates of heaven will open for him and he will go into the presence of the Lord, so he gives thanks to God for saving him from eternal spiritual death.

A student at a seminary observed an elderly janitor reading the bible. Curious about what he was reading the student stopped and said, “Can I ask what book of the bible you are reading?” The elderly janitor said, “Oh, I’m reading the book of Revelation, it’s my favorite.” Surprise the student asked if he understood it. “Oh yes”, replied the man. “It means that Jesus is going to have victory in the battle.” What better commentary to sum up the ending to the bible that to say Jesus has the victory. Does Jesus have the victory in your life? Have you turned you life over to Jesus to let Him take control? Pray that Jesus will let you live a victorious life. Ask that He will let you see the gates of heaven leading to Him just as David saw. Sing praises and be joyful for what He has done for you.