Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 103 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 102 103
AskMe #1516647 04/18/06 06:39 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Colossians 2:20-23
20You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world, such as, 21"Don't handle, don't eat, don't touch." 22Such rules are mere human teaching about things that are gone as soon as we use them. 23These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, humility, and severe bodily discipline. But they have no effect when it comes to conquering a person's evil thoughts and desires.

The apostle Paul lets the Colossians know the world does not hold them captive to evil. The rules men created trying to show discipline does not have to regulate their lives because they are free with Christ. These rules actually can be put into practice, but they become repetition and have no effect in actually stopping sin in a person’s life. It is Christ alone who frees us from sin.

A man was standing along side the highway one day observing two highway department workers. One of the workers would dig a hole. Then when he was finished the other worker would wait for a little while and then he would start filling in the hole the worker had just dug. This routine went on for a little while until the man observing just could not stand the curiosity any longer. He walked over and asked, “Why are you digging the hole, and why does he fill it up?” The first man replied, “Oh, you see, the guy who plants the trees is out sick today.” Sometimes people do things out of habit and repetition and they are not even thinking about what they are trying to accomplish. Paul was speaking to such things. People were following religious rules, but did not understand the sins they were trying to conquer in their lives. Do you understand what it is God requires from you? Maybe you are being too hard on yourself? Maybe you need to spend more time in His word to have a fuller understanding of God’s desires? Pray and spend time with God that you might know what He desires. Pray that God may reveal what sin you need to turn over to Him. Praise Him always for His love and mercy.

AskMe #1516648 04/19/06 07:34 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 21:15 (NLT)
15Justice is a joy to the godly, but it causes dismay among evildoers.

It is a pleasure and satisfaction to good men to see justice administered by the government they live under, rights upheld and iniquity suppressed. They do justice with pleasure and for love of virtue. For a wicked man it is terror to see laws put in execution. It is destruction to them and a fear of punishment.

A well known actor and comedian had one of the top rated sitcoms in America. He was famous for several movies. His humor and wit is well known to many. In 1979 at the Kalamazoo, Michigan airport he was arrested for over 650 grams of cocaine he was trying to sell to an undercover police officer. The prosecutor called him “an intelligent, personable, and remorseful individual.” Because he was charming, entertaining and willing to testify against others, authorities choose to prosecute him under federal law where he would only receive a 5 year sentence. The state court opposed no additional time. Circuit Judge Patrick Macauley told him: "You have the unique ability to get on the stage and perform and make people smile, laugh and be happy. That's an unusual talent. Don't waste it. You can perfect your talents while in prison. When you come out, I expect to see you very, very successful as a comedian. I expect to see your name in magazines. You are going to be a very successful young man." Tim Allen served about 2 1/2 years in prison, and then was released. What about people? Of course they are serving life sentences in prison. Ask Michael Ward, 128627, of the Saginaw Correctional Facility of Freeland, Michigan, named along with Tim Allen in the federal indictment. Ward is serving life in prison because of his state court conviction for drugs. Although Ward was no guiltier, Ward stayed in prison while Allen enjoyed a successful Hollywood career. To some there seems justice, while to some there seems injustice. Pray God will watch over our nation and keep justice alive. Pray God restores leaders who respect justice and know how to preserve laws which are right and just. Keep our leaders in your prayers and praise God who He is.

AskMe #1516649 04/20/06 06:33 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 20:19 (NLT)
19A gossip tells secrets, so don't hang around with someone who talks too much.

Solomon points out there are some types of people you have to take care in associating with. One such type is a tale bearer who goes about carrying stories they are entrusted with. They may have gained their information by fair or unfair means, under the pretence of guessing men’s intensions and sometimes modifying the truth to fit their own needs. It can be certain any secret or truth which may be told in privacy or confidence will be revealed to others. There are also flatters who pick out of person something with which they can build upon for their own gain. They praise and put false confidence into the person and reveal secrets to gain trust so the person falls to their side. Solomon *warns* us beware of such people.

When our son was young and playing sports there was a mother present at the games who was constantly gossiping about the latest news she had heard in the community. She was always talking to someone about something that was happening with someone. Well the end of the season came and the team was having its final team banquet. This woman called my wife and asked for a ride to the banquet, which my wife offered her. But on the way to the banquet my wife made the mistake of asking a question. She said, “I noticed the mother of the coach’s son is pregnant, but they don’t ever come or leave together. Are they separated?” It was a simple curiosity question of concern my wife was asking, but she asked the wrong person. The woman responded, “I don’t know; I hadn’t noticed; are they separated; is it his baby; when did she get pregnant before or after”. You can see where her mind was headed. No sooner did we arrive did the woman make a beeline to the coaches wife and pointing to my wife, “she said you were separated, is the baby his or someone else’s? Are you planning to keep it? So what is the story?” I can’t describe how embarrassed my wife from the actions of this woman and how much she apologized to the coaches wife. Fortunately the coach’s wife knew this particular woman was the type to talk about people and she was very forgiving. James said, “We all make many mistakes, but those who control their tongues can also control themselves in every other way.” Take care in what you say because it can create great impact on those around you. Pray that God teaches you the words to say, the thoughts to have and the heart to act. Pray you learn to listen before you speak and learn to discern what you hear before you act.

AskMe #1516650 04/24/06 06:54 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Jude 1:22-23 (NLT)
22Show mercy to those whose faith is wavering. 23Rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgment. There are still others to whom you need to show mercy, but be careful that you aren't contaminated by their sins.

Jude was the half brother of Jesus and the brother of James. There are some people you just yank out of sin and yet there are others you can gently lead away from sin with love. Some are so close to the fire that the only way to get them away is with a harsh rebuke. Jude finally warns us not to allow others to contaminate ourselves with their sin.

Not everyone gets a chance to take a look at the inside of an electrical nuclear reactor generation building. So when employees were given the opportunity to tour the contamination building I jumped at the chance for a tour. There were strict procedures that had to be followed. No nylon material could be worn that would attract nuclear particles. No touching of any of the areas being worked on. Rubber boots had to be worn to keep water off shoes that could contain radioactive particles. No contact with workers who could contaminate you coming out of the reactor area. All of these rules were for your own safety to prevent contamination with radioactive material, which could harm you or cause death. Jude was providing similar instructions for living, but his included not being contaminated by sin. Sin leads to harm and possible death and without Christ as savior leads to a spiritual death. It’s why Jude was telling Believers to snatch people from the flames. If you know people who do not know Christ, isn’t it time to tell them about Jesus? If you have allowed yourself to be contaminated by sin, isn’t time to ask Jesus to be washed off and cleansed? Jesus longs to help non-believer and believe alike. Pray for Jesus that he might cleanse your sin. Pray that you sins would be removed far away. Thank Jesus for His love and grace.

AskMe #1516651 04/25/06 07:09 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
2 Corinthians 12:7-10 (KJVR)
7 And to keep me from being too elated by the abundance of revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan, to harass me, to keep me from being too elated. 8 Three times I besought the Lord about this, that it should leave me; 9 but he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." I will all the more gladly boast of my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

Paul dealt with some type of temptation, though the temptation was not specifically specified. God will often bring good out of evil and with Paul God used the temptation as a means to keep him humble. The Lord reminded him that His grace was sufficient and that in our weakness we are made strong through the power of Christ. Paul realized because of Christ he could be content with the difficulties he faced.

We like to be strong, healthy and able to accomplish our work. We want others to recognize we are able and fit. I can remember a friend once saying he worked out daily because he felt he needed to be the protector of his family. And if he weren’t strong enough to challenge others then he felt like he might be a failure to protect his family. The truth is our ability ultimately counts for nothing. A sudden illness and we are no longer strong. A harsh injury and we cannot accomplish our work. Even my friend who wanted to protect his family cannot protect them when he is not there and he cannot protect them from forces greater than himself. We falsely believe we are something that we are not. So it is important we admit our weakness and be willing to allow God to make perfect His strength in our lives. For then we can boast of God’s work and what God has done instead of what we have done. Pray and give God praise for His strength and his power and his might. Thank Him for helping you to endure the hardships, the weaknesses, the calamities and persecutions. Give praise to a mighty God who cares for your smallest concerns.

AskMe #1516652 04/26/06 07:05 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Phillipians 3:6-9 (NLT)
6And zealous? Yes, in fact, I harshly persecuted the church. And I obeyed the Jewish law so carefully that I was never accused of any fault. 7I once thought all these things were so very important, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. 8Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the priceless gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I may have Christ 9and become one with him. I no longer count on my own goodness or my ability to obey God's law, but I trust Christ to save me.

Paul was describing to the Phillipians how in his past he was zealously following Jewish law. He followed it so closely that it was difficult for anyone to accuse him of doing anything wrong. In other words he was a very strict follower of the law. Paul was so strict he began to persecute others, which so often happens when someone believes they have risen above the integrity of others. But Paul goes on to say that once he met Christ and gained the knowledge and wisdom of Him, everything else became garbage or as some translations say “dung”. Paul realized he could not count on his own goodness or his ability, but he had to trust Christ for his salvation.

Many of us have accepted Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior and by doing so we have placed our faith in Him. Our sins have been redeemed by His blood and we have been justified through our faith in Him that we may be with God in heaven. As Paul said we can trust Jesus to save us. Yet some of us even after placing our trust in Christ still carry a score card with us tallying up our failures. Each time we sin down goes a mark on the card. Then when there are enough marks we start to feel bad about the things we have done, sometimes even doubting our own salvation. When Jesus reappeared to the disciples, he even asked them, “why do you doubt who I am”. Even in Matthew it says, “they worshipped him, but some of them still doubted him.” Doubt is powerful feeling and one the Satan uses against us. In Psalms when David had doubt he said, “When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer.” We need to seek God in our times of doubt and ask for renewed hope and cheer. Pray that God would remove any doubt you have about your salvation. Pray for a renewed hope and cheer in your life. Ask that Christ would strengthen you and prepare you for each days journey. Give thanks for the joy of your salvation.

AskMe #1516653 04/27/06 07:01 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Matthew 21:28-32 (NLT)
28 "But what do you think about this? A man with two sons told the older boy, `Son, go out and work in the vineyard today.' 29 The son answered, `No, I won't go,' but later he changed his mind and went anyway. 30 Then the father told the other son, `You go,' and he said, `Yes, sir, I will.' But he didn't go. 31 Which of the two was obeying his father?" They replied, "The first, of course." Then Jesus explained his meaning: "I assure you, corrupt tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the Kingdom of God before you do. 32 For John the Baptist came and showed you the way to life, and you didn't believe him, while tax collectors and prostitutes did. And even when you saw this happening, you refused to turn from your sins and believe him.

Jesus was telling the leading priests and Pharisees of the temple a parable. The parable was intended to show who was doing right. To some it appears what is right is that which is first seen and acknowledged, but it is actually the actions taken in the proper manner that is right. Jesus goes on to rebuke the leaders by saying that corrupt tax collectors and prostitutes will get into heaven before they do, because they refused to take action and do what was right.

There is a commercial for a popular brand of foot care products where one car runs into the back of another. The car that gets hit is severely damaged. Both guys get out and it is like no one needs to take care of the problem because the foot care product has them so relaxed about the situation. Now how would you feel if someone ran into the back of your car and got out and said, “Hey, see you have a bad dent there? We are just chill’ in right? Sorry about the car, hope you have a good day.” Now you are standing there with your car a total wreck and this guy wants to say sorry and walk off. Does sorry take care of the problem? If the person was truly sorry they would have taken the action to make things right. In 2 Corinthians 7:10-12 it says, “For God can use sorrow in our lives to help us turn away from sin and seek salvation. We will never regret that kind of sorrow. But sorrow without repentance is the kind that results in death. Just see what this godly sorrow produced in you! Such earnestness, such concern to clear yourselves, such indignation, such alarm, such longing to see me, such zeal, and such a readiness to punish the wrongdoer. You showed that you have done everything you could to make things right. My purpose was not to write about who did the wrong or who was wronged. I wrote to you so that in the sight of God you could show how much you really do care for us.” Taking action and making things right is what is important to God. Is there someone you need to make things right with? Pray that God might reveal areas in your life where things need to be made right. Pray you will strive to take action to make those areas in your life pleasing to God. Ask for Christ’s help when you are weak.

AskMe #1516654 05/01/06 07:06 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Titus 2:1-2 (NLT)

1But as for you, promote the kind of living that reflects right teaching. 2Teach the older men to exercise self-control, to be worthy of respect, and to live wisely. They must have strong faith and be filled with love and patience.

Paul was speaking to Titus and giving him instruction for the older men of the church. These older men were to set examples for the younger men to follow. He said these older men needed to exercise self-control, have strong faith and be filled with love and patience. The object was to be worthy of respect and live out their lives wisely.

Peter gave a very good point that is useful to the concept Paul was trying to teach Titus in 2 Peter 1:6-7, “Knowing God leads to self-control. Self-control leads to patient endurance, and patient endurance leads to godliness. Godliness leads to love for other Christians, and finally you will grow to have genuine love for everyone. The more you grow like this, the more you will become productive and useful in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Peter explains there is a growing process that starts with knowing God. As you start to who God is, you gain self-control of your flesh that always wants to take over and lead you towards sin. Once you know you are capable of self-control, and then you find endurance to persevere and weather through the trials to become godlier in your walk with God; your Christian walk becomes stronger and your love for people reaches out and becomes real. You then fulfill your purpose that Christ called you to as one of His own. Have you started to walk in self-control with the Lord? Are you growing in godliness? Pray that the Lord may give you the self-control you need in your life to make it through each day. Ask Him to strengthen you that you may be an example to others. Pray that the flesh may not grow weak when temptations come. Praise God for the victories in battle against sin.

AskMe #1516655 05/01/06 07:32 PM
W
W
Thank you...for today's reading...it really fits thr bill for where I'm at in my life at the time. God Bless!!!

Welderboy #1516656 05/02/06 07:03 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Jude 1:9 (NLT)
9But even Michael, one of the mightiest of the angels, did not dare accuse Satan of blasphemy, but simply said, "The Lord rebuke you." (This took place when Michael was arguing with Satan about Moses' body.)

Whatever Satan’s contention, Michael the archangel did not rail accusations back against Satan. Even though Michael is known to be the mightiest of angels and leads the other angels in battle, he knew there was no good cause in arguing because God had already made known the truth. So Michael’s statement to Satan was God would rebuke Satan for what he was saying, because Michael knew it to be false.

The truth is hard to know. I started out writing a devotional this morning believing I knew the truth in what I was writing. As I put down the facts and got towards the end of the devotional I came to realize I wasn’t sure if I knew the truth or not. I had facts I obtained from what I considered sources that seemed reliable, but because I had not personally verified them and read the information myself I suddenly became uncomfortable. I was actually calling out an author’s name and his words in book, but I only had quotes, and opinions from others who had read the book. I personally had never read the book or knew anything about it before I had read the opinions. It began to feel as though I had gathered gossip and I deleted every line I had already written. I was writing about the author’s truth and then I realized I had to review my own truth and make sure I was accountable. Michael the angel when he rebuked Satan knew there was one real truth in this world and that was God’s truth. It’s a truth to live by. It’s a standard for our lives. We need to remember that standard and go back to that truth. Pray for God’s truth to be in your life. Pray that His word may flow fully in your life permeating your soul. Let His words be sweet and tender mercy to your ears.

AskMe #1516657 05/03/06 06:52 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Isaiah 1:18
18"Come now, let us argue this out," says the LORD. "No matter how deep the stain of your sins, I can remove it. I can make you as clean as freshly fallen snow. Even if you are stained as red as crimson, I can make you as white as wool.

Through Isaiah, the Lord is presenting His case against Israel. In verse 10 God has just told the leaders that the people have acted like those of Sodom and Gomorrah. Anyone familiar with those cities would know their ultimate fate and should be fearful for their own destiny. Yet the Lord calls out to them and says they can argue out their problems with him. He is willing to listen and struggle with them in coming to a resolution. And He says if they will argue it out with Him they can become clean and white even though they are stained with sin.

If you have ever had a nice white shirt and dropped tomato sauce, blueberries, or mustard on the shirt and then tried to wash them out later you know how difficult it is. Once they have set in on the shirt for a while the stain just locks in. Imagine if you did that time after time after time. Eventually the shirt would be nothing but one big stain. God was looking at His people and saying your sins have stained you so much all I see is one red crimson stain. Sin stains a person’s life and blots their reputation. Each sin just taints a person’s life discoloring the life they could have had. God is calling us to a holy life, a life possible though Jesus Christ. Have you put your faith in Jesus to wash away your sins and make them white as snow? Maybe there are some current sins in your life Jesus would be willing to help remove? Pray for the faith in Jesus Christ to remove the sins in your life. Pray that as new sins creep in He will remove each one far away and keep you white as the fallen snow. Thank God for willingness to reach out and even argue your sins with you. Know that you have a God that loves you deeply.

AskMe #1516658 05/04/06 06:19 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Psalm 147:4 (NLT)
4 He counts the stars and calls them all by name.

David is singing praises to God for his mightiness. He is recounting how God is rebuilding Jerusalem and bringing back His people. So David starts to dwell on the awesome and innumerable powers of God. David says in Psalm 147:4 that God is able to count all of the stars in the heavens and call each one of them by name.

Man has only yet to begin to explore the vast reaches of the universe. Through modern technology such as the Hubble Telescope scientists have been able to peek out into parts of space that once were just darkness to the eye. And still there is so much we have not seen and so much we do not know. Yet God knows where each star is placed and He has given each one a name. Even more amazing is what God knows about us. In Luke 12:6-7 Jesus says, “What is the price of five sparrows? A couple of pennies? Yet God does not forget a single one of them. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are more valuable to him than a whole flock of sparrows.” God knows us so intimately He has even numbered each hair of our head. Of course some of us might not have too many to number these days, but God still loves us. He is a God concerned with every little detail of our lives. Have you stopped to praise your God this morning? Have you given the Lord praise and glory for the things He has done in your life? Pray and give thanks for the good things God has blessed you with. Give praises to the one who knows you intimately. Praise God for His loving kindness, His mercy, His grace, His gentleness, His mighty power, His compassion, His patience, His salvation. Always remembering the hope the Lord brings to you.

AskMe #1516659 05/15/06 07:27 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Matthew 6:24 (NLT)
24"No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

Jesus is teaching about money and possessions. A servant was to follow his master and pay attention to his needs. So if a servant was following after one master; the other master would soon be jealous and unleash punishment upon the servant. Soon the servant would have to choose to be devoted to one and hate the other.

The question to ask from Matthew 6:24 is who or what will you let rule your life? And what are you willing to give up? You might be forced to decide to leave everything behind. Jesus said in Luke 14:33, “So no one can become my disciple without giving up everything for me.” The choice comes down to be is Jesus the one you are willing to serve? Or do you look for one of the many things that are available in the world to choose from. There is only one correct answer according to Jesus; that one true answer is our Father in heaven. Giving our devotion to anything else or to anyone else, means that what we pursue on earth is destined for decay, death, or destruction. In the strongest terms possible, Jesus reminds us that money can't be our god if we want to serve the Lord God Almighty. Pray and let God know that you want to serve Him. Let God know that you desire to follow His ways and be obedient to Him. Pray that your heart will learn devotion to Him and not seek after foolish ways. Ask for His guidance that your footsteps may be secure.

AskMe #1516660 05/16/06 07:07 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Job 7:11-21 (NLT)
11"I cannot keep from speaking. I must express my anguish. I must complain in my bitterness. 12Am I a sea monster that you place a guard on me? 13If I think, `My bed will comfort me, and I will try to forget my misery with sleep,' 14you shatter me with dreams. You terrify me with visions. 15I would rather die of strangulation than go on and on like this. 16I hate my life. I do not want to go on living. Oh, leave me alone for these few remaining days. 17"What are mere mortals, that you should make so much of us? 18For you examine us every morning and test us every moment. 19Why won't you leave me alone--even for a moment? 20Have I sinned? What have I done to you, O watcher of all humanity? Why have you made me your target? Am I a burden to you? 21Why not just pardon my sin and take away my guilt? For soon I will lie down in the dust and die. When you look for me, I will be gone."

Here in these verses we find Job in torment. He has lost his family, his possessions, and his skin is covered in sore, painful boils causing him much misery. In his bitterness he complains to God. He says he finds no comfort in sleep and he feels as though he has been bound and confined by his affliction. Job feels he is under a test that will not go away for he is not aware of any sin that he has committed.

I can remember the first time my children grabbed a lemon and put it up to their mouth. There was this surprised reaction on their face. They jerked the lemon away, pulled back and shook their head with an astonished look. They had just experienced the bitterness of the lemon. Sometimes we experience bitterness in life and we just want to pull back and run away. We want to retreat from those things that cause us severe pain, grief or regret. But we can’t let bitterness take over our lives. Lamentations 3:19-25 says, “The thought of my suffering and homelessness is bitter beyond words. I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss. Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: The unfailing love of the LORD never ends! By his mercies we have been kept from complete destruction. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each day. I say to myself, "The LORD is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!" The LORD is wonderfully good to those who wait for him and seek him. So it is good to wait quietly for salvation from the LORD.” God is our hope, our mercy, our grace and our salvation. Ephesians says get rid of all bitterness. Are you holding on to bitterness in your life? Pray that God will help you release that bitterness. Pray for his mercies to be fresh in your life. Let each day start new, fresh and clean. Ask God daily for a renewing of your spirit that you might rejoice with Him.

AskMe #1516661 05/17/06 06:55 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Romans 1:20 (NLT)
20From the time the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky and all that God made. They can clearly see his invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse whatsoever for not knowing God.

In Romans Paul is writing about Christ and the good news God has proclaimed. In verse 20 Paul says the earth and the sky have been visible to all people. The things God has made can clearly be seen. And because there is clear evidence of God’s creation, His invisible qualities of eternal power and divine nature are also evident that no one is without excuse not to know God.

In Genesis 3:21 it says, “And the LORD God made clothing from animal skins for Adam and his wife.” For ages man has clothed himself with furs from animals that came from creation. Nature also gives us other materials like silk and cotton. Cotton makes up 33% of the material used in clothing today. It comes from a plant that grows wild in many places on the earth. Its use has been discovered in ancient India, Mexico, Egypt, Peru and the American Indians. God had provided for man from the beginning and continues to provide for his needs today. The clothes man wears everyday, so simple, but clearly seen as evidence that God exists. If you have ever passed a factory that makes synthetic material for clothes and seen the enormity and scale of the building to support the function and then thought about the simple cotton plant how could God’s work not be evident? Do you see God’s work before you? Pray that the work God is doing in your life may become evident. Look for His work in all of creation and praise Him for His eternal power and divine nature. Praise Him for the Holy God that He is and for providing for your needs.

AskMe #1516662 05/18/06 07:33 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Luke 4:32-36 (KJV)
32 And they were astonished at His doctrine, for His word was with power. 33 And in the synagogue there was a man, who had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice, 34 saying, "Let us alone! What have we to do with Thee, Thou Jesus of Nazareth? Art Thou come to destroy us? I know Thee and who Thou art -- the Holy One of God!" 35 And Jesus rebuked him, saying, "Hold thy peace, and come out of him!" And when the devil had thrown him in their midst, he came out of him and hurt him not. 36 And they were all amazed, and spoke among themselves, saying, "What a word is this! For with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out."

Jesus had recently spent 40 days in the wilderness being tempted by Satan. During the temptation Satan had said, “All this power will I give Thee, and the glory of them; for this has been delivered unto me, and to whomsoever I will, I give it. If Thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be Thine.", but Jesus responded, “Get thee behind Me, Satan! For it is written: `Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve.'" Jesus knew where His strength and power came from. It was from His Father God. And God’s power was mightier than any power Satan had to offer. His power even controlled the demons that Satan led.

James the half brother of Jesus asks the question, “Do you still think it's enough just to believe that there is one God? Well, even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror!” Jesus had demonstrated His power over the demons more than once during His life. They were fearful of the power that He held to control them. Even Satan was aware of the power Jesus had and was trying to tempt Him in order that He might sin and fall from grace with God. Jesus had even said, “The Father loves his Son, and has given Him authority over everything.” Jesus had the authority to forgive the sins of anyone who placed their faith in Him as their savior. It was more than just believing He existed and had power; knowing He had the power to change them and save them and take away the sins that had stained their life made the difference. Many people believe there is a god or one god, yet like the Satan and the demons they choose not to follow God. The power of Jesus and God might be evident to them, but for whatever reason they choose not to put their trust and faith in the one who could save them from sin. Pray that those who don’t know Jesus might come to know him. Pray that He might enter their lives so they may be filled with His glory. Praise God for His Son who died for your sins. Thank Him for His loving kindness.

AskMe #1516663 05/22/06 06:55 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Jude 1:3-8 (NLT)
3Dearly loved friends, I had been eagerly planning to write to you about the salvation we all share. But now I find that I must write about something else, urging you to defend the truth of the Good News. God gave this unchanging truth once for all time to his holy people. 4I say this because some godless people have wormed their way in among you, saying that God's forgiveness allows us to live immoral lives. The fate of such people was determined long ago, for they have turned against our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ. 5I must remind you--and you know it well--that even though the Lord rescued the whole nation of Israel from Egypt, he later destroyed every one of those who did not remain faithful. 6And I remind you of the angels who did not stay within the limits of authority God gave them but left the place where they belonged. God has kept them chained in prisons of darkness, waiting for the day of judgment. 7And don't forget the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah and their neighboring towns, which were filled with sexual immorality and every kind of sexual perversion. Those cities were destroyed by fire and are a warning of the eternal fire that will punish all who are evil. 8Yet these false teachers, who claim authority from their dreams, live immoral lives, defy authority, and scoff at the power of the glorious ones.

In these verses we find Jude writing about false teachers; those who are trying to turn the people away from the Christian beliefs. Jude reminds his dearly loved friends that both man and angel have fallen due to false beliefs. And because there have been those who have chosen to turn away from God; God severely punishment them. He says we must defend the Good News of Salvation that these false teachers try to rewrite with their own authority, scoffing at the power of God.

As news reporters stood outside the theaters of the newly opened movie The Da Vinci Code they were stopping people to ask them how they liked the movie. I had just watched an interview with Ron Howard who said, “Again: This is suppose to be entertainment, its not theology” defending his reason to do the movie. But those who watched the movie seemed to be convinced it was more than fiction. One man said to the reporter, “the movie really makes you stop and think.” Another person said, “It made me question some things.” So if this is fiction, what are these people stopping to think about or what are they questioning? Obviously it had to have created some doubt or confusion about what they have heard about Christianity. Maybe it’s time we defend the Good News of Jesus Christ. Pray about how you can spread the Good News and defend His name. Pray that His name may always be upheld. Pray that the world may know the true Christ.

AskMe #1516664 05/23/06 06:16 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ephesians 6:4 (NLT)
4And now a word to you fathers. Don't make your children angry by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction approved by the Lord.

God has given fathers the power over their children, but they must not abuse that power. They are to train their children in the ways of the Lord so they might know Him. Paul is giving these words to the Ephesians as guidelines for Christian living and for family growth.

Proverbs 22:6 says, “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” This is a reassurance to parents that if they teach their children about the Lord their children will continue to seek the Lord in their life. There has to be care given in the way discipline and training is given. Dr. Lloyd-Jones once said, “When you are disciplining a child, you should have first controlled yourself …. What right have you to say to your child that he needs discipline when you obviously need it yourself?” So it’s important for you as a parent to first understand what the Lord requires and follow what the Lord desires of you. Do you have that understanding? God’s word reveals His desire for you. Pray that He will reveal the things He would have you do. Ask how you might grow as a parent. Pray for wisdom and knowledge to be the parent you need to be.

AskMe #1516665 05/25/06 07:08 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 25:14 (NLT)
14A person who doesn't give a promised gift is like clouds and wind that don't bring rain.

Solomon provided this piece of wisdom to live by. He said a person who promised a gift and then did not follow through with that gift was like a cloud in the wind that did not bring rain to the land. It brought promise to the land, but then the hope vanished.

On one of the popular afternoon court TV shows a man was suing his niece claiming she did not pay him back for her mother’s funeral. This was horrible case in which the distraught young woman was counter suing the uncle because he had kept a ring of her mothers. She said she had not paid her uncle because he had kept her mother’s ring she had promised to her. The uncle said he had not given her the ring because he said his mother had promised it to him, but had given it to his sister, who was her mother. Finally the judge asked, “Sir, do you have this ring”, and the man showed he had it on a chain around his neck. This promised gift that was never given had burdened this man so strongly he had stolen it from a dead woman. He kept it from the rightful owner, his niece, which was the only remaining memory she had of her mother. Maybe if someone had read the above Proverb and applied it to their life, maybe some of these pains might not have occurred. The Bible is full of wisdom to guide us in our life and direct us each and every day. Have you taken a moment to take God’s word into your heart and apply His wisdom? Pray and ask God for the wisdom from His word. Look to Him for knowledge and truth. Seek His ways that you might know what is good and true.

AskMe #1516666 05/30/06 06:47 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 30:32 (NLT)
32 If you have been a fool by being proud or plotting evil, don't brag about it--cover your mouth with your hand in shame.

King Solomon provides a wise proverb to think about. He starts out saying if you have been a fool, a fool for being proud or plotting evil then don’t brag about it, but cover your mouth in shame.

It’s bad enough when a person falls into sin. The person becomes tempted and instead of seeking God’s help to resist they fall to the temptation. They become entrapped and participate in whatever short lived pleasures the sin has to offer. Then they find themselves filled with the shame sin always brings in the end. Sin is deceptive in that it is alluring, but afterwards all of its appeal is lost. Yet someone will relive their moments of sin; recounting every second in detail. They will provide you with descriptions of their lustful nature, their state of debauchery and every other sinful detail when as King Solomon says they should be covering their mouth with their hand in shame. And what makes someone speak out this way is pride and the thoughts they harbor in their mind, which is what Jesus said in Mark 7:20-23, “And then he added, "It is the thought-life that defiles you. For from within, out of a person's heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, eagerness for lustful pleasure, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you and make you unacceptable to God."” What thoughts are you harboring in your mind that you need to turn over to the Lord? What can you give to Him to keep you from speaking out in shame? Pray that the Lord may help you to see what you might turn over to Him and let Him be in control of your life.

Page 5 of 103 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 102 103

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 934 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy, Ingrid Guerci, Wifey02
71,826 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation