Job 7:11-21 (NLT)
11"I cannot keep from speaking. I must express my anguish. I must complain in my bitterness. 12Am I a sea monster that you place a guard on me? 13If I think, `My bed will comfort me, and I will try to forget my misery with sleep,' 14you shatter me with dreams. You terrify me with visions. 15I would rather die of strangulation than go on and on like this. 16I hate my life. I do not want to go on living. Oh, leave me alone for these few remaining days. 17"What are mere mortals, that you should make so much of us? 18For you examine us every morning and test us every moment. 19Why won't you leave me alone--even for a moment? 20Have I sinned? What have I done to you, O watcher of all humanity? Why have you made me your target? Am I a burden to you? 21Why not just pardon my sin and take away my guilt? For soon I will lie down in the dust and die. When you look for me, I will be gone."

Here in these verses we find Job in torment. He has lost his family, his possessions, and his skin is covered in sore, painful boils causing him much misery. In his bitterness he complains to God. He says he finds no comfort in sleep and he feels as though he has been bound and confined by his affliction. Job feels he is under a test that will not go away for he is not aware of any sin that he has committed.

I can remember the first time my children grabbed a lemon and put it up to their mouth. There was this surprised reaction on their face. They jerked the lemon away, pulled back and shook their head with an astonished look. They had just experienced the bitterness of the lemon. Sometimes we experience bitterness in life and we just want to pull back and run away. We want to retreat from those things that cause us severe pain, grief or regret. But we can’t let bitterness take over our lives. Lamentations 3:19-25 says, “The thought of my suffering and homelessness is bitter beyond words. I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss. Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: The unfailing love of the LORD never ends! By his mercies we have been kept from complete destruction. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each day. I say to myself, "The LORD is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!" The LORD is wonderfully good to those who wait for him and seek him. So it is good to wait quietly for salvation from the LORD.” God is our hope, our mercy, our grace and our salvation. Ephesians says get rid of all bitterness. Are you holding on to bitterness in your life? Pray that God will help you release that bitterness. Pray for his mercies to be fresh in your life. Let each day start new, fresh and clean. Ask God daily for a renewing of your spirit that you might rejoice with Him.