Luke 4:32-36 (KJV)
32 And they were astonished at His doctrine, for His word was with power. 33 And in the synagogue there was a man, who had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice, 34 saying, "Let us alone! What have we to do with Thee, Thou Jesus of Nazareth? Art Thou come to destroy us? I know Thee and who Thou art -- the Holy One of God!" 35 And Jesus rebuked him, saying, "Hold thy peace, and come out of him!" And when the devil had thrown him in their midst, he came out of him and hurt him not. 36 And they were all amazed, and spoke among themselves, saying, "What a word is this! For with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out."

Jesus had recently spent 40 days in the wilderness being tempted by Satan. During the temptation Satan had said, “All this power will I give Thee, and the glory of them; for this has been delivered unto me, and to whomsoever I will, I give it. If Thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be Thine.", but Jesus responded, “Get thee behind Me, Satan! For it is written: `Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve.'" Jesus knew where His strength and power came from. It was from His Father God. And God’s power was mightier than any power Satan had to offer. His power even controlled the demons that Satan led.

James the half brother of Jesus asks the question, “Do you still think it's enough just to believe that there is one God? Well, even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror!” Jesus had demonstrated His power over the demons more than once during His life. They were fearful of the power that He held to control them. Even Satan was aware of the power Jesus had and was trying to tempt Him in order that He might sin and fall from grace with God. Jesus had even said, “The Father loves his Son, and has given Him authority over everything.” Jesus had the authority to forgive the sins of anyone who placed their faith in Him as their savior. It was more than just believing He existed and had power; knowing He had the power to change them and save them and take away the sins that had stained their life made the difference. Many people believe there is a god or one god, yet like the Satan and the demons they choose not to follow God. The power of Jesus and God might be evident to them, but for whatever reason they choose not to put their trust and faith in the one who could save them from sin. Pray that those who don’t know Jesus might come to know him. Pray that He might enter their lives so they may be filled with His glory. Praise God for His Son who died for your sins. Thank Him for His loving kindness.