2 Corinthians 12:6-10 (NLT)
6 If I wanted to boast, I would be no fool in doing so, because I would be telling the truth. But I won’t do it, because I don’t want anyone to give me credit beyond what they can see in my life or hear in my message, 7 even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud. 8 Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. 9 Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. 10 That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

The apostle Paul speaks to boasting of prideful things and says while he could do so he chooses to focus on his weaknesses. In particular there is one weakness he has considered to be a thorn in his life. Three times he asked God to remove the problem, but God told Paul grace was all he needed. For Paul to be weak meant God could be strong in Paul’s life. Paul learned what it meant to surrender to God and allow Him to take care of his problems.

Have you ever prayed and felt like God was not responding? It might have been a prayer for something you felt you desperately needed. In an interview with Ted Turner, he said he prayed for his sick sister an hour each day. Obviously distraught over what his sister went through, Ted didn’t get the answers he wanted. He abandoned his relationship with God, because God didn’t give him the answer he wanted. The problem we all have is we want things our way. It’s why Burger King’s ad slogan is so popular. The truth is our way is not always the right or best way. There is a movie called Mr. Destiny, which is excellent demonstration of this principle. In the movie Jim Belushi keeps wishing he could have hit a homerun in the final game of his senior year of high school. He thought if he had his life would be so different; he would have become popular; he would have run the sports company; he would have married Mary Jo; he would have been rich. But Jim soon found out fulfilling his dream would have given him a life of misery and nothing would have been as he expected. God knows what is best for us and our future. We need to trust our creator who has our best interests in His hands. Are you praying God will answer you according to His will? Pray God’s will be done in your life. Accept the grace of God and ask Him to work His power in you. Let His strength meet your every need.