1 Peter 3:18 (Holman Christian Standard)
18 For Christ also suffered for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, that He might bring you to God, after being put to death in the fleshly realm but made alive in the spiritual realm.

Peter makes the point Christ was not immune from suffering, although Christ could have bypassed all pain and suffering. Christ chose instead to suffer for the sins of al” men by substituting Himself for our iniquities that we might be able to stand justified before God. And although there is a physical death, there is an eternal spiritual life after death with God.

After attending a service at St. Paul’s Cathedral, Queen Victoria asked the chaplain if there was a way to be absolutely sure of an eternal life after death secure with God. The chaplain responded he didn’t know if anyone could be “absolutely” sure. The response was published in the Court News. John Townsend, a friend of George Muller who was a great man of faith, read the quote and after giving the question consideration and praying, responded to the queen.

To Her Gracious Majesty, our beloved Queen Victoria, from one of her most humble subjects:

With trembling hands, but heart-filled love, and because I know that we can be absolutely sure even now of our eternal life in the Home that Jesus went to prepare, may I ask your Most Gracious Majesty to read the following passages of Scripture: John 3:16, Romans 10:9,10? These passages prove there is full assurance of salvation by faith in our Lord Jesus Christ for those who believe and accept His finished work.

I sign myself, your servant for Jesus' sake.
John Townsend

Many prayers were made on behalf of this letter and two weeks later a response came.

Mr. John Townsend:

Your letter of recent date received, and in reply would state that I have carefully and prayerfully read the portions of Scripture referred to. I believe in the finished work of Christ for me, and trust by God's grace to meet you in that Home of which He said, 'I go to prepare a place for you.

Victoria Guelph

Salvation through faith in Christ is repeated over and over in the scriptures. It is a gift we can presently possess and is not just a mere promise in the future. Our faith does not depend on our goodness, but instead our trust in the Son of God. God’s word is true, infallible and reassuring that we can spend eternity with Him no matter what we have done. Give thanks for God’s Son who died for your sins and the sins of others.