2 Peter 2:20-22 (NLT)
20 And when people escape from the wickedness of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and then get tangled up and enslaved by sin again, they are worse off than before. 21 It would be better if they had never known the way to righteousness than to know it and then reject the command they were given to live a holy life. 22 They prove the truth of this proverb: “A dog returns to its vomit.” And another says, “A washed pig returns to the mud.”

Peter had just finished an exhortation about those who indulge in sexual immorality. He said they promise a freedom and liberty, but like the pit they have fallen into are actually in bondage to sin. He then continues in these verses to discuss those who have found the grace of Christ and then fall away to sin. They become even more enslaved to the sin they once rejected. Peter says it proves out the proverbs that a dog returns to his vomit and that a washed pig returns to the mud.

In Matthew 12:43-45 Jesus is speaking, “When an evil spirit leaves a person, it goes into the desert, seeking rest but finding none. Then it says, ‘I will return to the person I came from.’ So it returns and finds its former home empty, swept, and in order. Then the spirit finds seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they all enter the person and live there. And so that person is worse off than before. That will be the experience of this evil generation.” Peter probably remembered these words of Christ as he wrote about those who find grace and then fall back into sin. The misery for those who desert Christ is more unavoidable and intolerable than for others. Their sin becomes more inescapable as Satan keeps a closer guard on those he has pulled back into his control. In Revelation 3:10 Christ says, ““Because you have obeyed my command to persevere, I will protect you from the great time of testing that will come upon the whole world to test those who belong to this world.” Looking at the consequences of sin we must persevere; never returning to our previous filthiness, but instead living by the righteous and holy commandments of Christ. Pray Christ will lead you away from sin. Pray Satan will not have the opportunity to pull you back to him. Thank God for His mercy and grace found in His son Jesus Christ.