Job 31:9-12 (NLT)
9 “If my heart has been seduced by a woman, or if I have lusted for my neighbor’s wife,
10 then let my wife belong to another man; let other men sleep with her. 11 For lust is a shameful sin, a crime that should be punished. 12 It is a fire that burns all the way to ******. It would wipe out everything I own.

Job is going back through his life looking for some place of failure that may have caused his current condition of suffering. But Job states his integrity in several matters and one of those is his faithfulness to his wife. Even in a time when having a concubine was accepted, Job said another woman never seduced his heart. He felt adultery was a shameful sin, a crime that required punishment. And there Job sat with his friends; haunted by an afflicting illness; feeling as if he were being punished for something he had done.

Job had remained pure in his life. It was said of Job that he was blameless; was a man of complete integrity; that he feared God and stayed away from evil. God said of King David that he was a man after His own heart. God blessed Job with much and made him richer than he ever had been. And while God also blessed King David, David allowed himself to fall to the temptation of adultery. David tried to self-maximize his own life by analyzing what benefit or gain he would receive. Maximizers are looking for what they think will bring them happiness and contentment. They see an affair as an opportunity to love when they feel a spouse has forgotten what love is about; to find passion when a marriage seems dull; to find richness in life where life seems stifled. God had given a commandment for every one to follow including David, which was “thou shall not commit adultery”. What David had done was turn away from God’s commandment to follow his own desires. The question which comes about is do we want to be a covenant keeper like Job or one who tries to maximize our own lives like David. Our goal should be to follow the desires of God and keep His commandments.