Proverbs 12:24 (NLT) Work hard and become a leader; be lazy and become a slave.

King Solomon had applied his own words of wisdom to his life. In 1 Kings 11:28 it says, “Jeroboam was a very capable young man, and when Solomon saw how industrious he was, he put him in charge of the labor force from the tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh, the descendants of Joseph.” King Solomon saw Jeroboam work hard and that he was capable of doing the tasks he needed, so he was put as a leader. God saw his leadership and was willing to take away ten of the tribes of Israel from King Solomon and give them to Jeroboam. For it says in 1 Kings 11:33, “For Solomon has abandoned me and worshiped Ashtoreth, the goddess of the Sidonians; Chemosh, the god of Moab; and Molech, the god of the Ammonites. He has not followed my ways and done what is pleasing in my sight. He has not obeyed my decrees and regulations as David his father did.” So Jeroboam was recognized as a hard worker who deserved to be a leader.

The proverb also says a lazy person will become a slave. Those who do not work and run up debt become a slave to their lazy ways. The debts they accumulate begin to control them and eventually cause them financial ruin. They are subject to their creditors and will spend hours in labor trying to repay their moments of laziness.