I am going to talk to MIL to see if she can help influence him to get in IC at least.

He is well aware that his years-long plan is not going to fly with me. I told him the same thing I've said here: I understand that it will take years to see if things can work out or not, but in the meantime a decision needs to be made on trying to make it work.

I must admit that I am so afraid of Plan B and D. I think it would actually be harder for me to go without talking to him than vice versa.