Job 6:24:30 (NLT)
24 Teach me, and I will keep quiet. Show me what I have done wrong. 25 Honest words can be painful, but what do your criticisms amount to? 26 Do you think your words are convincing when you disregard my cry of desperation? 27 You would even send an orphan into slavery or sell a friend. 28 Look at me! Would I lie to your face? 29 Stop assuming my guilt, for I have done no wrong. 30 Do you think I am lying? Don’t I know the difference between right and wrong?

In these verses we have Job speaking to his friends who have been trying to understand why he has been afflicted with devastation and physical pain. They feel maybe Job is being cursed for something he has done. Job tells them he is ready to yield to conviction and listen to honest words that may show him if he has problems and where they might lay. Honest men tend to want their mistakes rectified. Job says he is crying out in desperation for the truth. But his friends have been critical and reaching for possible answers by making assumptions.

Sometimes we need advice from others. But the advice we get can come in many forms. Some people will respond critically. They point out as many negative things as they can, but they never offer any genuine advice or answers. Others try to comfort us, but instead of answers they falsely give us words that provide false hope. True friends have a person’s best interest at heart. They will be truthful; not making assumptions; taking fact and presenting it no matter how painful it may be to say or hear. While the honest words may be hurtful, they lead to healing. They lead to understanding the truth and they provide an objective view. Let God speak to you on how the truth should be presented. Pray for wisdom to deal with hard and difficult situations. Above all be a friend that is honest, respected and has integrity.