2 Corinthians 8:10-15 (NLT)
10 Here is my advice: It would be good for you to finish what you started a year ago. Last year you were the first who wanted to give, and you were the first to begin doing it. 11 Now you should finish what you started. Let the eagerness you showed in the beginning be matched now by your giving. Give in proportion to what you have. 12 Whatever you give is acceptable if you give it eagerly. And give according to what you have, not what you don’t have. 13 Of course, I don’t mean your giving should make life easy for others and hard for yourselves. I only mean that there should be some equality. 14 Right now you have plenty and can help those who are in need. Later, they will have plenty and can share with you when you need it. In this way, things will be equal. 15 As the Scriptures say, “Those who gathered a lot had nothing left over, and those who gathered only a little had enough.”

In speaking to the Corinthians, Paul has asked they give generously to those in neeed. He says while they are capable of giving they should give in order to help others. Later there may come a time when they are in need and others can help them. Then he quotes a part of Exodus, “Those who gathered a lot had nothing left over, and those who gathered only a little had enough.

Many are familiar with Steve Martin and his comedic humor. In the rags to riches movie, “The Jerk”, Steve Martin started out as an adopted member of a poor family. For him life seemed good and simple. At one point he leaves his adopted family to explore the world. Having lived a poor life he seems able to get along on a meager existence. He always seemed to have a place to sleep and food to eat no matter how unaccommodating the situation may have been. Steve Martin invents a device for a man who was having trouble with his glasses staying on. He named the invention Opti-grab and the man kindly offered to market the device and share the profits. Steve Martin receives the first check of $250,000 and then a second one for $750,000. In the movie he then marries Bernadette Peters and moves into a luxurious mansion where he lives life frivolously. Suddenly he finds himself in the middle of a lawsuit and having to pay back 10,000,000 people $1.09 each bankrupting him and taking away his exuberant lifestyle. Despondent he decides to walk away from home in a robe and shorts. As he is leaving he picks up an item and says, “I only need this one thing.” Then he picks up another, “I only need this one thing too.” And then he continues to pick up items saying it is the only thing he needs. Steve Martin had gone from a penniless man, to a rich man, to a bankrupt man now desiring the things he had. We never know when similar problems might befall us. Paul says we should be content, sharing with others as we can. And when problems fall our way maybe others will be kind enough to help us. Pray God will give you the wisdom to use money wisely. Pray you might be able to help those who are needy in order to share the love of Christ.