Proverbs 13:10, 13-14, 18
10 Pride leads to conflict; those who take advice are wise. 13 People who despise advice are asking for trouble; those who respect a command will succeed. 14 The instruction of the wise is like a life-giving fountain; those who accept it avoid the snares of death. 18 If you ignore criticism, you will end in poverty and disgrace; if you accept correction, you will be honored.

These proverbs from King Solomon present a common theme: that listening to and accepting advice from another is a good thing. One has to be willing to put aside their pride and respect the words they hear. Having a willingness to listen to advice does not mean it is always accepted, but there are times that accepted advice can provide wisdom and guidance.

There are several ways we can learn about something. One way is to listen to the teachings of another and gain insight from what they have learned in life. Another is to set out on our own trials and efforts in order to find an answer. We can also put both to use, listening to the wisdom of others and drawing upon our own knowledge. I can remember being told as a child certain things were hot, like an iron, the stove, a heater. I didn’t quite understand what hot meant, but I knew it sounded bad. It only took once for me to get burned to realize what bad hot really was. And because of the advice of others I knew what not to touch and what to stay away from. We can grow in wisdom by listening to those who have experienced trials and hardships. We can listen to how they endured. We can gain hope hearing the testimonies of others and how they made it through the difficult times. And for those big problems in our life if we take time to listen, put away pride, accept the valid criticism of others, and follow their wise instruction it will be like a life-giving fountain. Pray you would open to the Godly advice of others. Pray you would grow in wisdom as you listen to what others have to say.