Psalm 130:1-4 (NLT)
1 From the depths of despair, O Lord, I call for your help. 2 Hear my cry, O Lord. Pay attention to my prayer. 3 Lord, if you kept a record of our sins,who, O Lord, could ever survive? 4 But you offer forgiveness, that we might learn to fear you.

In these verses David tells us whatever condition we are in, whatever the circumstance may be, no matter how terrible the problem, no matter the depth of our sin we are to call upon God for help. We are to continue calling so we might not slip deeper into the pit of despair and hopelessness. We cry out for the Lord knowing He offers forgiveness and puts our sins aside. We are to look for the hope of the Lord, for His love, mercy and grace.

William True Sleeper, born February 9, 1819, served 30 years as pastor of the Summer Street Congregational Church in Worcester, Massachusetts. Although he was not well known he took the words of David to heart and wrote the words to the song “Out of My Bondage, Sorrow and Night.” The words to the hymn are:

Out of my bondage, sorrow, and night,
Jesus, I come, Jesus, I come;
Into Thy freedom, gladness, and light,
Jesus, I come to Thee;
Out of my sickness, into Thy health,
Out of my want and into Thy wealth,
Out of my sin and into Thyself,
Jesus, I come to Thee.

Out of my shameful failure and loss,
Into the glorious gain of Thy cross,
Jesus, I come to Thee.
Out of earth's sorrows into Thy balm,
Out of life's storms and into Thy calm,
Out of distress to jubilant psalm,
Jesus, I come to Thee.

Out of unrest and arrogant pride,
Into Thy blessed will to abide,
Jesus, I come to Thee.
Out of myself to dwell in Thy love,
Out of despair into raptures above,
Upward for aye on wings like a dove,
Jesus, I come to Thee.

Out of the fear and dread of the tomb,
Into the joy and light of Thy throne,
Jesus, I come to Thee.
Out of the depths of ruin untold,
Into the peace of Thy sheltering fold,
Ever Thy glorious face to behold,
Jesus, I come to Thee.

There may be some who read these words and relate to the despair and plea for help. For those who do, know you are not the first and won’t be the last to face difficulties, temptations and trials. Man has been facing these feelings for years, as far back as David and even in the thoughts of William Sleeper. Just remember there is hope in Jesus who waits with open arms for us to come to Him.