1 Corinthians 5:9-13 (The Message)
9 -13 I wrote you in my earlier letter that you shouldn't make yourselves at home among the sexually promiscuous. I didn't mean that you should have nothing at all to do with outsiders of that sort. Or with crooks, whether blue or white-collar. Or with spiritual phonies, for that matter. You'd have to leave the world entirely to do that! But I am saying that you shouldn't act as if everything is just fine when a friend who claims to be a Christian is promiscuous or crooked, is flip with God or rude to friends, gets drunk or becomes greedy and predatory. You can't just go along with this, treating it as acceptable behavior. I'm not responsible for what the outsiders do, but don't we have some responsibility for those within our community of believers? God decides on the outsiders, but we need to decide when our brothers and sisters are out of line and, if necessary, clean house.

The apostle Paul is writing to the Corinthian church about a problem where a member of the church was committing immoral acts. The issue was everyone accepted what was happening as normal. Paul said the church members had a responsibility to confront those inside the church who sin. But he also made it clear those who were outside the church were to be treated with grace.

I want to focus on the church in these verses for a moment. The church members found the behavior of a church member committing blatant sin acceptable. They had not confronted the man or dealt with the issues he was causing. Instead they were apathetical about the situation. Paul reminded them he had written them once to tell them to not make themselves at home with those who were sexually promiscuous. Then he explains they weren’t to be harsh towards those outside the church, but to take care with those who were in the church. If disciple was necessary then disciple should be given. They were not to ignore the sins of a church member. The church should not tolerate sin committed by those who placed their faith in Christ. It does not mean they are not to draw sinners into the church. It does mean they should correct and teach people about sin and its consequences. It does not mean they are to condemn someone as if to pass judgment; for God is the only true judge. It does mean if someone is a Christian in the church and committing blatant sin it should be confronted. Confrontation of sin does not mean that love, grace and mercy are not given. In fact Paul later writes the church to say extend this man the love, grace and mercy Christ extended; bring him back into the church and restore him. Confronting sin should always be done out of motivation of love for the sinner. More mercy and grace should always be extended to those who do not know better. But for those who know and understand they are sinning; they should not be allowed to do so within the church without someone speaking up. Galatians 6:1-2 says, “Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.”