James 5:13-18 (NLT)
13 Are any of you suffering hardships? You should pray. Are any of you happy? You should sing praises. 14 Are any of you sick? You should call for the elders of the church to come and pray over you, anointing you with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 Such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make you well. And if you have committed any sins, you will be forgiven. 16 Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results. 17 Elijah was as human as we are, and yet when he prayed earnestly that no rain would fall, none fell for three and a half years! 18 Then, when he prayed again, the sky sent down rain and the earth began to yield its crops.

In these verses James focuses on the power of prayer. There are various conditions in this world we must deal with and it is up to us to submit ourselves to God in prayer about these conditions. James focuses on sin and says we need to confess those sins to righteous others who can help us deal with them and also pray for us. James reminds us of the power of prayer. Elijah prayed there would be no rain and none fell for three and a half years. Then he prayed again and the rains came yielding crops.

There have been times some of us have asked God for a miracle to take place in our lives. Maybe a loved one is sick or maybe we have fallen on hard times. God is always listening to our prayers and wants to answer them in ways that follow His will. Christ for instance grieved at the thought of taking on the sin of the world and the horrible death He had to face. Jesus even prayed if the situation could be taken away, please let it be so. But God answered by strengthening Christ to help Him fulfill the plan of Salvation. It might not have been the answer Christ was looking for, but it was an answer to Christ’s prayer and it was an answer to man’s prayers as well. In my personal life there are times I know God listened as I prayed and His response even surprised me. Those surprises lead me to believe if I had more faith maybe I wouldn’t be so surprised by God’s answer. Yet God is faithful and He wants to meet our needs. Are there issues in your life you are dealing with? Take the time and pray to God about them. Don’t make prayer something difficult; make it a natural conversation with the Father who loves you. Pray for others and watch the wonders that take place.