Genesis 4:4-9 (The Message)
6 -7 God spoke to Cain: "Why this tantrum? Why the sulking? If you do well, won't you be accepted? And if you don't do well, sin is lying in wait for you, ready to pounce; it's out to get you, you've got to master it." 8 Cain had words with his brother. They were out in the field; Cain came at Abel his brother and killed him. 9 God said to Cain, "Where is Abel your brother?" He said, "How should I know? Am I his babysitter?"

Able took a select offering to the Lord, while Cain had just taken what was available. The Lord accepted Able’s gift, but did not accept his Brother Cain’s gift. Cain, the younger brother, became very angry. And so the Lord spoke to him in the verses above saying if you do correctly you will be accepted, but sin is waiting to pounce. God says that sin is even out to get Cain. Cain ignored the warning and killed his brother Able out of jealousy. When God confronted Cain instead of telling the truth he lied.

I recently watched a war movie which reminded me of the way sin is ready to attack. A soldier was trying to watch out for the enemy, but could not see them. He had been warned the enemy was nearby as shots rang out. He started to walk forward, alone, through a cemetery carefully looking each direction to ensure the enemy was not close by. But the soldier let him guard down and the enemy came up from behind and killed him. While his friends attempted to come to his rescue, it was too late. The enemy had already done the damage and left. Sin does the same things in our life. Sin draws us into the battle field where we must keep alert. 1 Peter 5:8 tells us, “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:” Sin is ready to attack the moment we let our guard down. Our guard starts to come down as we walk alone into sins territory. We forget if we keep the Lord close by we have protection from the enemy that looks to defeat us. Even our friends who are close by cannot help if we choose to walk alone into sins territory. So be vigilant against sin and when God warns you, listen to the warnings. Don’t ignore them like Cain and fall into even deeper sin.