Jude 1:3-4 (NLT)
3 Dear friends, I had been eagerly planning to write to you about the salvation we all share. But now I find that I must write about something else, urging you to defend the faith that God has entrusted once for all time to his holy people. 4 I say this because some ungodly people have wormed their way into your churches, saying that God’s marvelous grace allows us to live immoral lives. The condemnation of such people was recorded long ago, for they have denied our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

In this epistle from Jude he speaks of the common salvation given to Jews and Gentiles. He planned to write more on the salvation shared by all, but instead he turned to the issues of immorality slipping into the churches. The point made was grace was not given to live immoral lives, but instead was given to have freedom in living. He reminded them of people of the past who were condemned for failing to place their faith in God and follow Him.

Webster’s dictionary defines grace as unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification. Regeneration is a spiritual renewal. It is a revival of what was meant to be. It is a restoration to the original state. Through salvation God restored man to a state of being free from sin. He restored the fellowship of man with God. Sanctification is the state of growing in divine grace as a result of Christian commitment. It is freedom from sin. It is God imparting His holiness upon us. Sacredness is laid upon us as a gift. The grace that comes through salvation delivers us from the power of sin and its effects. It is liberation and preservation from destruction or failure. There are people in this world who mistake grace for a license to sin. We are all subject too the weight and effects of sin upon our lives. Grace gave us freedom from sin, not the open opportunity to sin. Grace says when you fail its ok, but grace does not say go out and attempt to fail. We should take the grace of God in our lives seriously and live to please God. When we do fail because of our human nature, we should repent and move forward knowing God has forgiven us and blessed us with the grace of salvation from Jesus Christ.