Luke 12:39-40 (NLT)
39 “Understand this: If a homeowner knew exactly when a burglar was coming, he would not permit his house to be broken into. 40 You also must be ready all the time, for the Son of Man will come when least expected.”

Jesus is speaking to the disciples and those around Him about His return. No one knows when that time will be except the Father. So those who follow Jesus should always be prepared; not being careless with sin or not believing in God’s salvation.

Preparation can be very important. For instance, if you are giving a Presidential speech in front of the nation you might want to have some thoughts prepared in advance. What if you were giving a large party for the guests of a wedding, you might want to be prepared by having a place to gather, food, drink, and other required items. It is difficult enough to prepare when you know the time of an event, but what if you don’t know when that event will occur? What if someone asked you have you come to a point in your life where you know you have eternal life and you would go to heaven if you died? Death is but a heartbeat away and in most cases comes unexpectedly. Are you prepared? How do you know you are prepared? What if you were standing before God and he asked, “Why should I let you into my heaven?” do you have an answer you can give? If you can say you have placed your faith and trust in Jesus Christ who died for the sins of the world and then rose again to life; you are prepared. What if you have fallen into habitual sin and find yourself doing things and going to places you shouldn’t? What if right in the midst of that sin that one last heart beat took place? Would you be comfortable with everyone knowing what you were doing and where you were, especially your Lord and Savior? Are you prepared to account for those sins? Jesus said, “Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God. Don’t just say to each other, ‘We’re safe, for we are descendants of Abraham.’ That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones.” Be prepared because you never know when the last moment will come. I think about a quote I once heard where someone said, “You need to make sure you have good clean underwear on just in case something happens.” Isn’t it is more important to have a good clean repentant soul just in case something happens?