Habakkuk 3:17-18 (NLT)
17 Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, 18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!

Throughout Habakkuk there is a correspondence between God and his prophet. Habakkuk In the first chapter spoke to God and God spoke back; then he to God again. In the second chapter God spoke wholly to Habakkuk by the Spirit of prophecy; now, in this chapter, he speaks wholly to God by the Spirit of prayer, for Habakkuk did not want his conversation with God to end. In these verses we find Habakkuk saying no matter what bad circumstances might come his way he will still find joy in God who grants him salvation. We can find joy in the moments of our greatest distresses because our salvation cannot be hindered and we move closer to God.

In the final years of my wife’s grandmother’s life she fell ill to a stroke and heart attack. She was a Christian who looked forward to the day when she could be with the Lord. During one of her attacks the doctors revived her and brought her back from a near state of death. As she looked up at the doctors she said, “I was this close to being with Jesus in heaven and you had to bring me back.” She was ready to be with the Lord and looked forward to an eternal life with him. Through her final days she suffered with poor circulation which caused terrible pain. She became unable to eat and even drinking water was difficult. But she continued to hold onto the hope of being with the Lord, which is where I believe she is today. Terrible distresses may come our way, but they only place us closer to God. There is great hope and joy in the salvation the Lord provides. Like Habakkuk always be joyful over that hope.