Psalm 118:5-9 (NLT)
5 In my distress I prayed to the Lord, and the Lord answered me and set me free. 6 The Lord is for me, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me? 7 Yes, the Lord is for me; he will help me. I will look in triumph at those who hate me. 8 It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in people. 9 It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes.

King David starts Psalm 118 by saying, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever.” David understands God has always been there with him, loving him, and watching over him as he endured the storms of life. David often prayed in his times of need and he acknowledges God answered him and took care of him. He continues with his praise of God knowing it is better to trust in God than to trust men or even powerful men. David had been thrown onto the battlefield of life and God saw him through it.

Our lives are a journey. We each walk down a road of purpose God has laid out before us. As we walk down that road we may find ourselves at different seasons of life. Sometimes like winter; life is desolate and cold. The sun appears only for a while and then quickly moves to darkness. Other times life is full of hope like the rays of light glistening from the summer sky. Maybe we know we are moving into desperate times as fall approaches showing us changes taking place that seem cold and uncertain. But there is always the hope of summer as spring emerges bringing new life. We all go through periods of desperation in life. As we sense desperation we feel hopelessness; we feel abandoned; and we feel a sense of urgency. God can use desperation in our lives in a powerful way to change us and mold us into something stronger. In the Old Testament Pharaoh faced one desperate moment after another as each plague was brought against his country; and yet he continually turned his heart away from God. He would have rather seen one more night of misery, one more night of infestation, one more night of suffering than to turn his heart over to God. Maybe you are holding onto desperation and worries instead of turning them over to God? Maybe today is the right time to say, “GOD I TRUST YOU AND I TURN ALL MY WORRIES OVER TO YOU. I WANT TO END THE DESPERATION IN MY LIFE AND LET YOUR HOPE ABIDE WITH ME.”

Dear Heavenly Father, I pray for those who might be feeling desperate and hopeless. Times are difficult. Jobs are disappearing. People are losing the homes they dreamed of having. Retirements are vanishing and there is just a sense of desperation from many people. Lord I pray for those feeling desperate that you Lord will reassure and affirm you Lord are with them every step of their journey. Bring hope when there is hopelessness and let us trust in You. AMEN