Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2137799 10/06/08 05:34 PM
I
OP Offline
I
I have been married for over 10 years (got married at a very young age)...anyway...during a point of seperation..I concieved a child. My wife and I were able 2 make it thru for a couple years because we moved out of the state. During this time I had no involvement with the child. I recently got partial custody and now have him for a period of six months. My wife agreed to stick with me. Now that he is in the household...it seems like we are on the verge of divorce daily. I have had him for only a few days and we are up until 3 - 4 am arguing. I love my wife more than anything and often times get frustrated because I believe this is too much for her to deal with when she says she can. I can't imagine how it hurts her to see him...because evry day for me in the household is very uncomfortable. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this type of situation. I am wondering how I can cater to all of my wifes emotional needs without feeling like I am being attacked every time this thing is addressed. I feel it would be easier for her (wife) to let her go...but I love her so much. She is willing to stay in the marriage but I keep "failing" to make her feel most important.

i_messed_up #2137820 10/06/08 07:02 PM
B
B
Welcome. Can you explain how you came to get custody of the child for 6 months? That seems like a long time without his mom.

Did your wife agree to file for partial custody, or was this dumped on her?

believer #2137865 10/06/08 08:34 PM
F
F
Welcome to MB. Any chance you could get your wife here? There are many of us BW dealing with an OC situation. It is admirable that you want to do what you can for your wife. What did the two of you do to recover your M after the A? How much did you discuss the OC situation before you went for partial custody? Do you have COM (children of the marriage)?

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
i_messed_up #2139046 10/08/08 06:51 PM
S
S
I saw that you posted here as well and I answered your first post but thought I would it post here as well.. I wish you the best.

Now that he is in the household...it seems like we are on the verge of divorce daily. I have had him for only a few days and we are up until 3 - 4 am arguing. I love my wife more than anything and often times get frustrated because I believe this is too much for her to deal with when she says she can. I can't imagine how it hurts her to see him...because evry day for me in the household is very uncomfortable

I am going thru something similar with my H . He had an A in which a child was conceived and I am devastated over it. Your quote about your wife and how you believe she feels it right on. She does feel that way and may just be afraid to tell you because she wants to support you but is finding out she can't under the circumstances. It is one thing to think about it and to know that the child exists but a totally different story to live with it.LIving with the child is a constant reminder of the hurt and makes it difficult to let go of the resentment, to forgive and move on with your lives. The child is a constant trigger that can keep the W off balance and second guessing everything all the time.

I suspect there are some things about the child or the woman the child was conceived with that hurt her to her core and causes her to be very angry about it. Do you have children between the two of you? Do you have a boy child? If not has she always wanted one? Can she have children? You may want to find out why and how she truly feels about it and maybe seek counseling. I also know that she probably thought she was strong enough to deal with it and is finding out that she can't. Everyone has their limits and this is hers and she is just discovering it. It is important for you guys to talk this thru and you need to be very sensitive to her needs emotionally.

I know from my point of view ....the very existence of the OC rocks me to my core for many reasons and I know that the child could never be integrated into my family since we have decided to work it out. For us we have decided not to have any contact at all with the OW or the OC. Especially the OC for some of the reasons you have stated in your post. I know that the child would be treated differently by me unintentionally. I know myself well enough that I would secretly harbor some resentment toward H the OC and that is not fair to subject the OC or H to it siince I decided to work on my marriage for my COM's sake. To much drama to raise kids in. So I know and he knows ( even though he struggles with it) that it is best to keep the OC as far away as possible. Even if he has to pay CS we have agreed that their would be no visitation and even talked about giving up parental rights so that the OW can get married and have someone adopt the child as their own. OC deserves a loving home but we know she will not get what she deserves living under our roof . To much hurt has come from the A and her existence and what her existence means.

Believe me if you guys keep this up the OC will pay the price for it. It is not fair to the child be brought up under those circumstances. The child is innocent just like your wife in all this. You wife may not intentionally cause harm to the child but unintentionally & subsconsciously the child will be treated differently and will grow up feeling different, like something is wrong with them, feeling unaccepted, rejected, not loved, that things are their fault, that they are causing the tension in the home. If you wife can't deal she needs to speak up or you need to get her to speak up. You guys have some hard decisions ahead of you which means she may need to leave the situation via divorce or maybe you need not have any contact with the child for the sake of your marriage. You have to discover what is important to you and what you both can live with. There are no easy answers but you can not continue to raise a child under these circumstances. It will just get worse. Do not put the child thru a life time of repeated rejection. The child may be better off staying with the biological mom and growing up without you. Sure it they will grow up feeling rejected because you were not around but believ me it will cause more harm to the child living with repeated rejection day in and day out and knowing that they are part of the reason for all the tension in the home.

Huge dilemma, no easy choice, no fair choice, no matter what is chosen someone is going to lose out. Putting it off will just make it worse for everyone.

I wish you the best and I am sorry you are faced with this dilemma.

BS
WH-(to old to know better)
COM- 2 DS (toddlers)
DDay- 4/28/08
OC- NC
i_messed_up #2156839 11/11/08 04:12 PM
A
A
I've been married for over 25 years. My husband had an ongoing affair for over 10 years. I found out about it in June of 2001. Then I found out he was seeing her again in June of 2002 and again from about 2006 until Christmas of last year. He has has a 10 year old son with her. He just recently started to visit the beginning of this year because I realized my husband kept going back because he wanted to know the child. Unfortunately, sex went along with it. It's extremely difficult for me and my children (25,20,15) to be around the child. I wish I wouldn't have allowed the visitation now because we are in constant communication with the other woman and child. I'm trying to be understanding but it's bringing up feelings and emotions that I can't deal with. I know our situations are different but my advice is to NOT have the child in your home on a full time basis. She might be able to deal with some visitation but having to mother a child under those circumstances is too difficult. If you love your wife and want to save the marriage, find an alternative for the child NOW!

Thanks,

Susan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,071 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation