James 1:13-14 (NLT)
13 And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, “God is tempting me.” God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else. 14 Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away.

The Apostle James reminds us temptation does not come from God. God is above sin and temptation and therefore does not tempt us nor lead us towards sin. It is our own sinful nature which draws us close to sin and if we partake of the sin it drags us away from God.

The Flip Wilson show appeared weekly on NBC from September 1970 until June 1974. For the first two years the show was rated second from the top following “All in the Family”. Flip Wilson was a successful comic who created entertaining characters for his show. One such character played by Flip Wilson was Geraldine. Geraldine was a liberated, married woman whose clothing was designer in nature, but contrasted with her own mixed flair of colorful stockings. One of the lines Flip Wilson made popular with Geraldine was “The devil made me do it.” It seems we need someone to blame for our failures and Geraldine would point to the devil as being responsible for hers. Is Satan at fault for our failures or is it our own sinful desires? Adam blamed God for falling into sin. Eve turned to the serpent as her excuse. Even in this world today you will hear many people ask the question, why did God allow this to happen to me? When Jesus was alone in the wilderness for 40 days Satan placed many temptations in from of Jesus, but it was Jesus who refused them. He said, “Get out of here, Satan,” “For the Scriptures say, ‘You must worship the Lord your God and serve only him.’” Then the devil went away, and angels came and took care of Jesus. Satan may show us the temptations, but it is our own desires that entice us and drag us away from God. The next time you are faced with temptation remember to reach out to God, because it is not His desire for us to sin, but instead lead us away from the sin which so easily tempts us.